Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Paul Hurst 12:42 - Dec 29 with 1633 viewsCopfordBlue

Terrible start at Scunthorpe. Now 12th with 5 wins in 7. We’d have been no worse off if we’d given him all of last season rather than two months. Who knows we may even have still been in the championship.

Lambert has had 14 months and we have been rotten for 12 of them.

Poll: Most enjoyable calendar year as an Ipswich supporter

Paul Hurst on 12:44 - Dec 29 with 1381 viewsPecker

Maybe, maybe not. He seemed pretty clueless when here.
Paul Hurst on 12:45 - Dec 29 with 1366 viewsCopfordBlue

Paul Hurst on 12:44 - Dec 29 by Pecker

Maybe, maybe not. He seemed pretty clueless when here.

So does Lambert.

Paul Hurst on 12:47 - Dec 29 with 1356 viewsPecker

Paul Hurst on 12:45 - Dec 29 by CopfordBlue

So does Lambert.

Agree. Doesn't mean that Hurst would have been any better though.
Paul Hurst on 12:47 - Dec 29 with 1360 viewsBlueBadger

This is possibly peak TWTD Revisionismt. Hurst is tied with Paul Jewell, just behind Roy Keane in the 'worst ever Town Manager' stakes.
[Post edited 29 Dec 2019 12:49]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Paul Hurst on 12:52 - Dec 29 with 1308 viewspointofblue

Hurst has a strong squad for the division at Scunthorpe and shouldn’t have had the shaky start he did. Here he had a weak squad, due to his own transfer dealings, and had basically lost the plot by the time he was axed.

Saying that his rotations were no less confusing or baffling than Lambert’s are now.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Paul Hurst on 12:53 - Dec 29 with 1292 viewsCopfordBlue

Paul Hurst on 12:47 - Dec 29 by BlueBadger

This is possibly peak TWTD Revisionismt. Hurst is tied with Paul Jewell, just behind Roy Keane in the 'worst ever Town Manager' stakes.

It probably is.

Where does Lambert rank on your list? He’s top of my list. 27% win rate when a significant proportion of those matches were in the third division is a grim record.

Paul Hurst on 12:54 - Dec 29 with 1281 viewsPecker

Paul Hurst on 12:53 - Dec 29 by CopfordBlue

It probably is.

Where does Lambert rank on your list? He’s top of my list. 27% win rate when a significant proportion of those matches were in the third division is a grim record.

He tops it for me.
Paul Hurst on 12:57 - Dec 29 with 1254 viewspointofblue

Paul Hurst on 12:54 - Dec 29 by Pecker

He tops it for me.

Hurst above Lambert for me. I think Lambert would have kept us in the Championship - or we would have at least put up a bit of a fight - had he inherited Mick’s squad.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Login to get fewer ads

Paul Hurst on 12:59 - Dec 29 with 1235 viewsPecker

Paul Hurst on 12:57 - Dec 29 by pointofblue

Hurst above Lambert for me. I think Lambert would have kept us in the Championship - or we would have at least put up a bit of a fight - had he inherited Mick’s squad.

But Lambert is meant to be an expert at this level and is proving anything but. At this point, amongst the worst we have had.
Paul Hurst on 13:01 - Dec 29 with 1209 viewsCopfordBlue

Paul Hurst on 12:57 - Dec 29 by pointofblue

In the same way that he saved Stoke from relegation when he took that job? He’s been decent at one club in his career.

Paul Hurst on 13:02 - Dec 29 with 1203 viewsOxford_Blue

Paul Hurst on 12:54 - Dec 29 by Pecker

He tops it for me.

That’s not a fair judgement.
Paul Hurst on 13:07 - Dec 29 with 1173 viewsPecker

Paul Hurst on 13:02 - Dec 29 by Oxford_Blue

That’s not a fair judgement.

Why not? Did little to nothing to impress last season. First manager we have had in 50 years in the 3rd tier and making a right fist of it. Time will tell and hope he turns it around, but not looking hopeful.
Paul Hurst on 13:16 - Dec 29 with 1123 viewsTerry_Nutkins

Paul Hurst on 12:47 - Dec 29 by BlueBadger

It's hilarious. He had completely lost the dressing room as we now know. Not a bit, completely. It was possibly the worst feeling between players and managers that we've had at the club. Keane displayed better man management. He put together the worst squad in our history. players of the calibre of Keane, KVY (who he overlooked) and Judge would not have joined us. I'll get slated for including Judge in this comment but he's a quality player and i think he'll come good. Keane will be a big player for us. If Hurst continued to make poor decisions we would have no chance in this league.

What an incredible way to Spin Hurst job at Scunthorpe. They were expected to do at least as well as us in L2! Possibly best squad in that league. Lambert has us 2nd and he has on paper best team in that div in 12th. Somehow we should have kept him. He was probo 1-2 games away from back to back quick sackings!!!!

Poll: Genuine answers please on what you would choose next season!

Paul Hurst on 13:19 - Dec 29 with 1110 viewsTerry_Nutkins

It probably is.

This is in my top 5 most deluded TWTD threads of all time. woe. Absolutely staggering. Lambert being put in worst managers camp. The level of not understanding football is off the scale.

Poll: Genuine answers please on what you would choose next season!

Paul Hurst on 13:20 - Dec 29 with 1103 viewsonlymehere

Paul Hurst on 13:19 - Dec 29 by Terry_Nutkins

This is in my top 5 most deluded TWTD threads of all time. woe. Absolutely staggering. Lambert being put in worst managers camp. The level of not understanding football is off the scale.

Are managers judged by results and performance?
Paul Hurst on 13:24 - Dec 29 with 1079 viewsPecker

He has to be judged. Lambert is amongst the worst we have had. He said at the beginning of the season that we had the strongest squad in the league, yet we are struggling to cope with average sides. Losing at home to Bristol Rovers in a LEAGUE game was a new low for me.
Paul Hurst on 13:29 - Dec 29 with 1050 viewsonlymehere

Paul Hurst on 13:24 - Dec 29 by Pecker

He has to be judged. Lambert is amongst the worst we have had. He said at the beginning of the season that we had the strongest squad in the league, yet we are struggling to cope with average sides. Losing at home to Bristol Rovers in a LEAGUE game was a new low for me.

I thought all the lows were last season but somehow they have crept into this season started brightly but since have to be in Towns history of lows.
I just hope today we stop the lows.
Paul Hurst on 13:33 - Dec 29 with 1032 viewsbackwaywhen

Paul Hurst on 13:01 - Dec 29 by CopfordBlue

In the same way that he saved Stoke from relegation when he took that job? He’s been decent at one club in his career.

Because and only because he had Culverhouse and Karsa as his team organisers and trainers , Lambert was just a mouth piece as he is here ..... as soon as they fell out at Villa , he has failed .
Paul Hurst on 13:35 - Dec 29 with 1027 viewsCopfordBlue

So you rate him as a manager?

I’ve played and watched football for nearly 50 years. I know enough to see that we are going backwards. Boxing Day was as bad as I have witnessed at Ipswich given the quality of opposition. Absolutely diabolical and strongly indicative of a manager who is just bumbling along. No clear way of playing, no first team, no entertainment. It was, like most performances since mid-October shockingly bad. He needs to go.

Paul Hurst on 13:40 - Dec 29 with 1002 viewsBlueBadger

It probably is.

Level with Jewell - inherited a mess, did a superficial(VERY superficial in Lambert's case) job of improvement and got found out.
[Post edited 29 Dec 2019 15:15]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

Paul Hurst on 13:40 - Dec 29 with 994 viewsTrequartista

I doubt it would have got better, the Championship stalwarts at the club were not willing to buy into the methods of a lower league upstart.

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

Paul Hurst on 13:40 - Dec 29 with 991 viewsBlueBadger

Paul Hurst on 13:20 - Dec 29 by onlymehere

Are managers judged by results and performance?

Lambert is second only to Roy in the 'best interviews' stakes.

Paul Hurst on 13:48 - Dec 29 with 900 viewsclive_baker

Nonsense. Make no mistake he was absolutely dire here and the worst manager we've had in recent history. Results were awful, absolutely no cohesion. no idea of his best team, players hated him and Doig. Getting rid of him was 100% the right thing to do. Let's not convince ourselves otherwise just because his replacement has flattered to deceive.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Paul Hurst on 13:53 - Dec 29 with 861 viewsSarge

It probably is.

In my attending lifetime it’s:

Hurst
Keane
Jewell
Lambert
Jim
Mick
Paul Hurst on 14:00 - Dec 29 with 826 viewsCopfordBlue

Paul Hurst on 13:48 - Dec 29 by clive_baker

Nonsense. Make no mistake he was absolutely dire here and the worst manager we've had in recent history. Results were awful, absolutely no cohesion. no idea of his best team, players hated him and Doig. Getting rid of him was 100% the right thing to do. Let's not convince ourselves otherwise just because his replacement has flattered to deceive.

I was in favour of Hurst being appointed and excited at the number of new signings. The Braintree friendly was the first cause for concern, the lucky draw against Blackburn on the opening day made me doubt him even more and when he ranted after the Exeter game after we went out on pens I started to wonder if we had made a mistake giving him the job. However, had he stayed I don’t think we’d be in a worse position than we are now. Lambert is doing a very poor job with a decent squad.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024