Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Woolfenden 'trebling his wage' 13:12 - Jan 14 with 1818 viewsuefacup81

Why is there this seeming acceptance of the fact that Woolfenden will leave because Sheffield United will pay him a significantly higher salary?

Last time I checked, it wasn't up to him. They could offer him £10m a week, but if the fee to the club isn't right then there'll only be one place he'll be playing his football come 1st February.

Poll: Predictions for tonight?

Woolfenden 'trebling his wage' on 13:13 - Jan 14 with 1801 viewsKieran_Knows

... because no doubt that if he was getting word that his salary was going to go up considerably (and he will be told that via agents etc), he might try and push for the move himself?

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Woolfenden 'trebling his wage' on 13:17 - Jan 14 with 1753 viewsuefacup81

Woolfenden 'trebling his wage' on 13:13 - Jan 14 by Kieran_Knows

... because no doubt that if he was getting word that his salary was going to go up considerably (and he will be told that via agents etc), he might try and push for the move himself?

At which point I'd expect the club to tell him firmly but politely that perhaps he should tell his agent to tell Sheff Utd that he's going nowhere until Town's valuation of him is met, plus a hefty January-window premium.

Our "valuation" is irrelevant.... on 13:25 - Jan 14 with 1682 viewsBloots

Woolfenden 'trebling his wage' on 13:17 - Jan 14 by uefacup81

At which point I'd expect the club to tell him firmly but politely that perhaps he should tell his agent to tell Sheff Utd that he's going nowhere until Town's valuation of him is met, plus a hefty January-window premium.

....whatever it is, it will be loose change to a Prem club.

Plus it's probably not much more than £3m anyway.

TWTD Leadership Group/Elite Level Supporter/Anti-Bullying Crusader

Woolfenden 'trebling his wage' on 13:25 - Jan 14 with 1670 viewsITFC_96

Then you have an unhappy defender who will end up leaving for free at the end of his contract, while then promptly angrily telling everyone he knows that he was stopped from moving by the club?

What do you think other upcoming youngsters and players will be thinking once they find out the club is forcing people to stay at the club and not having respect for their will? Being a footballer player is still a job regardless.
Woolfenden 'trebling his wage' on 13:28 - Jan 14 with 1653 viewsuefacup81

Woolfenden 'trebling his wage' on 13:25 - Jan 14 by ITFC_96

Then you have an unhappy defender who will end up leaving for free at the end of his contract, while then promptly angrily telling everyone he knows that he was stopped from moving by the club?

What do you think other upcoming youngsters and players will be thinking once they find out the club is forcing people to stay at the club and not having respect for their will? Being a footballer player is still a job regardless.

If he wants to throw his toys out of the pram and leave for free at the end of his contract (summer 2023, I believe) then let him. The only signal it sends is a negative one to potential future employers.

He signed a contract, and so should fully expect to be bound to the terms of said contract.

Woolfenden 'trebling his wage' on 13:31 - Jan 14 with 1622 viewsITFC_96

Woolfenden 'trebling his wage' on 13:28 - Jan 14 by uefacup81

If he wants to throw his toys out of the pram and leave for free at the end of his contract (summer 2023, I believe) then let him. The only signal it sends is a negative one to potential future employers.

He signed a contract, and so should fully expect to be bound to the terms of said contract.

And then every player will be wary about signing contract extensions with the club. And it's not about "throwing your toys out of the pram", you and everyone you know would do exactly the same thing in his position given a massive opportunity...
Woolfenden 'trebling his wage' on 13:32 - Jan 14 with 1617 viewsxrayspecs

Woolfenden 'trebling his wage' on 13:25 - Jan 14 by ITFC_96

Young players place a lot of attention on their development pathway as many are not given meaningful game time. The fact he is a regular starter at PR and has a good chance of stepping up a division with his hometown club in the next four months will be a consideration for him and his advisers.

That may be a much more attractive prospect than playing U23 football at Sheff U or being sent out on loan at another club with potentially less guarantee of game time.

I would be surprised if he wanted to move this January. Keep working hard, help Town get promoted and then see what options he has in the summer.
Woolfenden 'trebling his wage' on 13:35 - Jan 14 with 1589 viewsITFC_96

Woolfenden 'trebling his wage' on 13:32 - Jan 14 by xrayspecs

Young players place a lot of attention on their development pathway as many are not given meaningful game time. The fact he is a regular starter at PR and has a good chance of stepping up a division with his hometown club in the next four months will be a consideration for him and his advisers.

That may be a much more attractive prospect than playing U23 football at Sheff U or being sent out on loan at another club with potentially less guarantee of game time.

I would be surprised if he wanted to move this January. Keep working hard, help Town get promoted and then see what options he has in the summer.

It's a consideration but at the end of it all we have no idea what they are potentially putting on the table for him. What happens if he gets injured or Ipswich don't get promoted or his form drops and he misses the opportunity? You have to look at it from his perspective. He is going to want to leave.
Login to get fewer ads

Woolfenden 'trebling his wage' on 13:35 - Jan 14 with 1589 viewsuefacup81

Woolfenden 'trebling his wage' on 13:31 - Jan 14 by ITFC_96

And then every player will be wary about signing contract extensions with the club. And it's not about "throwing your toys out of the pram", you and everyone you know would do exactly the same thing in his position given a massive opportunity...

I wouldn't actually.

I currently work for a firm and am training towards qualifications alongside my full-time job. My training is in quite a niche area, and so I've already had a few approaches from other employers keen to see if I'd be willing to jump ship.

My employer has given me a great opportunity, and it would be wrong of me to throw that back in their fact by jumping ship in return for a bigger salary.

Woolfenden 'trebling his wage' on 13:36 - Jan 14 with 1579 viewsDarth_Koont

Bit of both there, I think.

Yes, it's up to us. But A) we're now a selling club out of necessity and B) our major draw to young players even in the Academy is as a stepping stone.

Unfortunately, that's the reality until we become a top 6 Championship team at least.

And whether the 3 million is accurate, we still haven't filled the gap in our finances caused by relegation. Even if we go straight back up there's probably something like a 5-10 million pound gap to fill over these past couple of years. I think it's fairly inevitable that we will sell one of Woolfenden, Downes and perhaps even KVY in the near future. Maybe even a couple of them if we want to have some squad investment as a newly promoted side.

Pronouns: He/Him

Woolfenden 'trebling his wage' on 13:37 - Jan 14 with 1573 viewsITFC_96

Woolfenden 'trebling his wage' on 13:35 - Jan 14 by uefacup81

I wouldn't actually.

I currently work for a firm and am training towards qualifications alongside my full-time job. My training is in quite a niche area, and so I've already had a few approaches from other employers keen to see if I'd be willing to jump ship.

My employer has given me a great opportunity, and it would be wrong of me to throw that back in their fact by jumping ship in return for a bigger salary.

Yeah, but those employers aren't offering you 5-10x the salary on a bigger stage are they? Being a footballer is still a job at the end of it, not a religion.
Woolfenden 'trebling his wage' on 13:42 - Jan 14 with 1539 viewsuefacup81

Woolfenden 'trebling his wage' on 13:37 - Jan 14 by ITFC_96

Yeah, but those employers aren't offering you 5-10x the salary on a bigger stage are they? Being a footballer is still a job at the end of it, not a religion.

It's not a case of the details (which would be comparing apples with oranges), it's the general principle.

I've been invited to apply for positions that would increase my current salary enough that it would result in a significant difference to my disposable income. I've chosen not to entertain any such offers as I believe integrity and reputation trumps any form of financial gain.

The key difference is that Woolfenden signed a contract committing himself to the club until 2023.

It's not FIFA, pal.

Woolfenden 'trebling his wage' on 13:45 - Jan 14 with 1521 viewsitfcjoe

The club has to be 'fair' and offer a proper valuation though - that may be the difficulty because whatever realistic valuation we give is going to be loose change to them so our bluff can be called

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Woolfenden 'trebling his wage' on 13:47 - Jan 14 with 1503 viewsGuthrum

I wouldn't actually.

It's not just the money, but a bigger opportunity. The chance to work at one of the top places in the country, with the best people and on the most exciting and prestigious projects, here and possibly internationally. To push your skills and experience to a new level. Or stay at a little regional place where what you're doing will be much more limited for the forseeable future.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Woolfenden 'trebling his wage' on 13:50 - Jan 14 with 1482 viewsITFC_96

Woolfenden 'trebling his wage' on 13:42 - Jan 14 by uefacup81

It's not a case of the details (which would be comparing apples with oranges), it's the general principle.

I've been invited to apply for positions that would increase my current salary enough that it would result in a significant difference to my disposable income. I've chosen not to entertain any such offers as I believe integrity and reputation trumps any form of financial gain.

The key difference is that Woolfenden signed a contract committing himself to the club until 2023.

It's not FIFA, pal.

You can't hold it against him for wanting to leave (if he does). It is a completely different situation when you have the prospect of playing for a club with currently more potential for the future while earning significantly more.

The vast majority would take the opportunity.
Woolfenden 'trebling his wage' on 13:50 - Jan 14 with 1478 viewsitfcjoe

I wouldn't actually.

It's very different for a footballer though, he could rip his cruciates up tonight and see his dream go up in smoke - plus a much shorter career. You are (presumably) learning a skill that will set you up for the rest of your career and 30-40 years - players need to make the right decisions to maximise their earnings over a 10 year timespan.

It's obviously not about taking the first offer, but if Wilder sits him down and can spell out a future for him that may attract him, and the money becomes a by product.

Woolfie has come through the ranks with Tristan Nydam and Andre Dozzell who were the mega stars of his age group, he can see how a bad decision or a bad injury can throw your career up in the air and now see them sitting there with 6 months left of their contracts.

Football is absolutely dog eat dog, players have to be in it for themselves and I'd never question their decisions as are doing it from a position of knowledge of what it is like in the game - they need protecting from clubs in the main

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Woolfenden 'trebling his wage' on 13:51 - Jan 14 with 1474 viewsusm

Woolfenden 'trebling his wage' on 13:42 - Jan 14 by uefacup81

It's not FIFA, pal.

I presume you are not a professional sports person, whose careers can be very short. He will want to leave if offered the chance to join a premiership club on a very good wage, as would just about anyone in his position.

FOYSC
Poll: Did Broad just get a hat trick without realising ?

Woolfenden 'trebling his wage' on 13:55 - Jan 14 with 1451 viewsjeera

Woolfenden 'trebling his wage' on 13:51 - Jan 14 by usm

I presume you are not a professional sports person, whose careers can be very short. He will want to leave if offered the chance to join a premiership club on a very good wage, as would just about anyone in his position.

Exactly, it's not complicated.

And more often than not, a player is never the same once he's had his head turned.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Woolfenden 'trebling his wage' on 13:55 - Jan 14 with 1450 viewsBtreeBlueBlood

We cannot turn down any premiership offers. That is what everyone is aspiring to get to in there careers - div1 definitely can’t - I pray we get to Feb with Wolfie and Downes.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024