Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Evans and Managers 08:11 - Feb 9 with 4399 viewsSwailsey

MM
Magilton
Jewell
Keane
Hurst
Lambert

In that order. I’m going to drive this point home all the time now.

Who said: "Colin Healy made Cesc Fabregas look like Colin Healy"? | We miss you TLA

Evans and Managers on 14:41 - Feb 9 with 1131 viewsCoco

Evans and Managers on 14:19 - Feb 9 by PhilTWTD

I think there's a lot of revisionism regarding Jim's time in charge. At the time we were one of the Championship's richest clubs - the division has moved on a very long way in subsequent years - and at the point the decision was made to sack him we were 12 points off the play-offs with relationships strained on a number of fronts.

Although the campaign in some sections of the media - and support - was deeply unpleasant and wholly disrespectful given his achievements with the club, the time had come for a change. The following appointment was clearly the wrong one, however.

This post has been edited by an administrator

Jim was doing great BEFORE the money came in. It was the money and the relentless pursuit of David Norris that ruined him.

#SellUpMarcusEvans #LambertOUT // Sent from my iphone - which explains all the felling spuck ups
Poll: When we're finally freed from Mick McCarthy would you like to see Burley as DoF?

Evans and Managers on 14:41 - Feb 9 with 1131 viewsSwailsey

Evans and Managers on 14:36 - Feb 9 by PhilTWTD

It's difficult because I'd say Jim and Roy were the ones who failed to take the opportunity to get promoted as Evans splashed the cash post-takeover. By the time Paul Jewell took over there wasn't so much money to spend and we weren't such big players in the division.

I think I’m guilty of remember Magilton pre-Evans.

I’ve said before, but I was at Sheff Utd away in one of Jim’s last games and it was just horrendous - so dour and uninspired.

Jewell always seemed quite popular with the press - and seemed a nice guy, so it would make sense.

Who said: "Colin Healy made Cesc Fabregas look like Colin Healy"? | We miss you TLA

Evans and Managers on 14:42 - Feb 9 with 1133 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

Evans and Managers on 14:33 - Feb 9 by PhilTWTD

What is this thing about biscuits? I always got on well with him - I'd like to think I still do - he certainly didn't help himself with things like excluding us from press conferences but I was far from involved in the witch hunt as you seem to imply, indeed I condemned it at the time.

How come you don’t give Lambert a tougher time? Not TWTD, but the media in general.

Surely tougher questions should be asked about why the constant excuses? Or the reason for the decline? Or why we are in such a worse position than when he took over?

Would like to see him challenged more, and I don’t mean writing pieces after you’ve spoke to him I.e (Watson). I’d like to see the tough questions asked to his face.

Brenner is terrible for it, so soft.

Poll: Would you be happy with Paul Lambert?

Evans and Managers on 14:46 - Feb 9 with 1115 viewsPhilTWTD

Evans and Managers on 14:41 - Feb 9 by Swailsey

I think I’m guilty of remember Magilton pre-Evans.

I’ve said before, but I was at Sheff Utd away in one of Jim’s last games and it was just horrendous - so dour and uninspired.

Jewell always seemed quite popular with the press - and seemed a nice guy, so it would make sense.

I liked Jewell, not sure everyone else did. He could be a bit chippy at times but all managers can be but wasn't dismissive or unpleasant unlike some.
Evans and Managers on 14:49 - Feb 9 with 1102 viewsPhilTWTD

Evans and Managers on 14:42 - Feb 9 by TheTrueBlue1878

How come you don’t give Lambert a tougher time? Not TWTD, but the media in general.

Surely tougher questions should be asked about why the constant excuses? Or the reason for the decline? Or why we are in such a worse position than when he took over?

Would like to see him challenged more, and I don’t mean writing pieces after you’ve spoke to him I.e (Watson). I’d like to see the tough questions asked to his face.

Brenner is terrible for it, so soft.

I don't think he's been given an easy time. Think we've asked why he thinks things have gone awary on plenty of occasions over the last few months, what might be the causes etc. We questioned him on the rotation to the extent he fairly evidently got fed up with us asking about it, for example.
Evans and Managers on 15:07 - Feb 9 with 1076 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

Evans and Managers on 14:49 - Feb 9 by PhilTWTD

I don't think he's been given an easy time. Think we've asked why he thinks things have gone awary on plenty of occasions over the last few months, what might be the causes etc. We questioned him on the rotation to the extent he fairly evidently got fed up with us asking about it, for example.

Doubt he got as fed up as the fans did.

Maybe the questions just weren’t as direct or ‘beating around the bush’ per say. Or maybe I’ve missed that interview.

I think most fans would agree he’s had an easy ride though.
[Post edited 9 Feb 2020 15:08]

Poll: Would you be happy with Paul Lambert?

Evans and Managers on 15:14 - Feb 9 with 1063 viewsBlueBadger

Evans and Managers on 08:29 - Feb 9 by stopmoaning

Lambert is a much better manager than both Keane and Hurst, and probably Jewell. Which isn't hard, as my nan is a better manager than those 3.

Lambert is fast coming up on the shoulder of the latter two in the ''worst Town manager ever stakes'.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Evans and Managers on 15:27 - Feb 9 with 1044 viewsSwailsey

Evans and Managers on 15:14 - Feb 9 by BlueBadger

Lambert is fast coming up on the shoulder of the latter two in the ''worst Town manager ever stakes'.

No you’re not allowed to say that.

Login to get fewer ads

Evans and Managers on 15:59 - Feb 9 with 1018 viewsBlueBadger

Evans and Managers on 09:45 - Feb 9 by Herbivore

He didn't take us down to 7th in the third tier though.

He was having a bloody good try at it when he was sacked, mind.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

Evans and Managers on 16:12 - Feb 9 with 1001 viewsBlueBadger

Evans and Managers on 12:44 - Feb 9 by Herbivore

Think it's a bit of a stretch to say our plight in 2020 is down to a manager we sacked nearly a decade ago.

His whole spunking of a massive transfer budget has definitely coloured Evans' thinking on actually supporting his managers ever since.

Evans and Managers on 17:39 - Feb 9 with 983 viewsunstableblue

I think there's a lot of revisionism regarding Jim's time in charge. At the time we were one of the Championship's richest clubs - the division has moved on a very long way in subsequent years - and at the point the decision was made to sack him we were 12 points off the play-offs with relationships strained on a number of fronts.

Although the campaign in some sections of the media - and support - was deeply unpleasant and wholly disrespectful given his achievements with the club, the time had come for a change. The following appointment was clearly the wrong one, however.

Phil, you’re absolutely right to say there is revisionism about Magiltons reign, as you rightly point out by the end he was not in a good place, both on the pitch and off.

Much like the revisionism sadly going on across the board around Micks reign, which was in a terrible place in its final season and a half, with poison in the stands, and he had to go. The use of budget as a justification, when the likes of Brentford and Preston were finishing above us AND crucially making progress in their style of football rather resorting to the most dull and draconian football imaginable, and causing long term damage to the players confidence to play passing football. Those teams now sit 5th and 6th in the Championship and are in rude health.

One thing to be said for Magilton it was probably the last time Town really lit up Portman Road and gave the fan base the football it deserved. That home form with the marauding Walters was truly entertaining and exciting. That’s why people remember him fondly.
[Post edited 9 Feb 2020 18:00]

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Evans and Managers on 17:50 - Feb 9 with 971 viewsTrequartista

[Removed reply having not read the o/p properly.]
[Post edited 9 Feb 2020 17:51]

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

Evans and Managers on 17:58 - Feb 9 with 964 viewsSuperblue95

The fact that Jewell can be argued to be our third best manager in the past 15 years is laughable and just shows how much of a joke of a club we are

My hobbies include being quiet during trips, clapping with songs, and diabetes.
Poll: Englands player of the tournament

Evans and Managers on 18:37 - Feb 9 with 950 viewsEnigma_Blue

Evans and Managers on 11:46 - Feb 9 by Dyland

MM
Magilton
Lambert/Jewell
Keane
Hurst

The fact MM is so clearly the best of this sorry bunch is gob smacking.

Well done Marcus.

Did you object to any of them at the time they were appointed?
Evans and Managers on 18:45 - Feb 9 with 947 viewshaynes_toe1

Evans and Managers on 18:37 - Feb 9 by Enigma_Blue

Did you object to any of them at the time they were appointed?

Hey, don't start criticising fans for giving the owner the benefit of doubt he might have a vague idea what he's doing. At least not for the first two or three times.

Admittedly by the time Lambert was appointed it should have been clear Evans would have got it wrong, but people still thought it was great. To be fair, they still thought it was good after he relegated us without putting up a vague fight so, who knows.
Evans and Managers on 18:59 - Feb 9 with 938 viewsEnigma_Blue

Evans and Managers on 18:45 - Feb 9 by haynes_toe1

Hey, don't start criticising fans for giving the owner the benefit of doubt he might have a vague idea what he's doing. At least not for the first two or three times.

Admittedly by the time Lambert was appointed it should have been clear Evans would have got it wrong, but people still thought it was great. To be fair, they still thought it was good after he relegated us without putting up a vague fight so, who knows.

It just amuses me that certain supporters act like they knew all along that these appointments would all end in failure. Well if they are such experts perhaps they could enlighten us with who they think should have been appointed instead.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024