Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Three quarters of the season gone 17:13 - Feb 22 with 1728 viewsHerbivore

First 11 games we picked up 27 points.

Next 11 games we picked up just 10 points.

Last 11 games we managed 15 points.

Without that flying start we'd be lower midtable, we've managed fewer points in half a season than we picked up in that first quarter of the season. Lambert has royally cocked this up. That run from November to the new year was shocking, essentially relegation form, and it was in large part down to him constantly making too many changes to the line up and system. It's still affecting us now as we've basically only had a settled side and line up for the last 11 games and we're playing sides who have had a settled side and system all season.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Three quarters of the season gone on 17:16 - Feb 22 with 1656 viewsHorseboy

I agree with a lot of this, but also we overestimate the standard of some of our players, this is their level sadly, sad sad times
Three quarters of the season gone on 17:17 - Feb 22 with 1618 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Footballers who can't learn how each other play in 11 games, shouldn't be footballers. Lambert must take some blame, but this is not anything to do with rotation.

This is everything to do with the fact that our players are not nearly as good as they or anyone else thinks, and that is largely because the club has been mis-managed top down for the last 10 years.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Three quarters of the season gone on 17:18 - Feb 22 with 1609 viewsHerbivore

Three quarters of the season gone on 17:16 - Feb 22 by Horseboy

I agree with a lot of this, but also we overestimate the standard of some of our players, this is their level sadly, sad sad times

I'd expect an average manager to get this squad promoted relatively comfortably.

Three quarters of the season gone on 17:19 - Feb 22 with 1538 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

It's just a blip

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Three quarters of the season gone on 17:20 - Feb 22 with 1534 viewsDarth_Koont

And we really didn't play that well in the first11 games. We were effective and the results went the right way.

If the whole "advantage" of being relegated was to bounce back stronger then we've really screwed it up. We are better now than we were earlier on this season but it's looking too little too late.

Pronouns: He/Him

Three quarters of the season gone on 17:20 - Feb 22 with 1510 viewsHorseboy

Three quarters of the season gone on 17:18 - Feb 22 by Herbivore

I'd expect an average manager to get this squad promoted relatively comfortably.

Delusion
Three quarters of the season gone on 17:21 - Feb 22 with 1501 viewsHerbivore

Three quarters of the season gone on 17:17 - Feb 22 by Cheltenham_Blue

Footballers who can't learn how each other play in 11 games, shouldn't be footballers. Lambert must take some blame, but this is not anything to do with rotation.

This is everything to do with the fact that our players are not nearly as good as they or anyone else thinks, and that is largely because the club has been mis-managed top down for the last 10 years.

Disagree. I think it's very much down to having a busted flush as our manager. It's not just the impact of rotation on us relative to other sides in terms of cohesion, that run at the end of last year totally destroyed any momentum and confidence we'd built up in the first quarter and that is still affecting us now. Lambert has made a total hash of it.

Three quarters of the season gone on 17:23 - Feb 22 with 1456 viewstractorboy2421

Three quarters of the season gone on 17:16 - Feb 22 by Horseboy

How can the standard played by some of these players get rewarded with the wages they are paid though ??
Login to get fewer ads

Three quarters of the season gone on 17:25 - Feb 22 with 1428 viewsHorseboy

Three quarters of the season gone on 17:23 - Feb 22 by tractorboy2421

How can the standard played by some of these players get rewarded with the wages they are paid though ??

Good question, poor management and running of the club.

But the players are not up to it either.
Three quarters of the season gone on 17:28 - Feb 22 with 1375 viewsTrequartista

I don't think they're that good. Their wages might say they are but there are too many players who were dreadfully out of their depth last season that are still here, even considering the drop in standard. To be a top team in League One you would expect to have about 5 or 6 players who would be comfortable in the Championship. With Skuse and Chambers now on the decline, who have we got? A couple of kids.

That's not excusing Lambert, he should have cleared more out, and he should still be doing a lot better with what he's got.

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

Three quarters of the season gone on 17:29 - Feb 22 with 1351 viewsHerbivore

Three quarters of the season gone on 17:20 - Feb 22 by Darth_Koont

And we really didn't play that well in the first11 games. We were effective and the results went the right way.

If the whole "advantage" of being relegated was to bounce back stronger then we've really screwed it up. We are better now than we were earlier on this season but it's looking too little too late.

Early in the season we were solid and had a reasonably consistent set up. That enabled our additional quality to get us through matches by nicking a goal when on top and being able to see games out pretty comfortably. Then we'd throw in the odd good half where we'd properly batter teams. Lambert threw all of that out of the window by ramping up the rotation and messing about with the system constantly. We've picked up a bit again since picking a more settled team and using the same system but the damage has already been done. Our slight upturn isn't enough. That start should have been a platform to build on but he threw it all away.

Three quarters of the season gone on 17:34 - Feb 22 with 1307 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Three quarters of the season gone on 17:25 - Feb 22 by Horseboy

Good question, poor management and running of the club.

But the players are not up to it either.

Holy looks at least this standard to me. Less convinced with Norris.

Chambers was good enough for the Championship most of his career, even if he is dropping off now he must be good enough for the top end of League 1.
Wilson is good enough.
Woolfenden is good enough but lacks experience. Will be at least Championship standard given time in my opinion.
Edwards was good enough for the higher levels of this league before he joined us (but as a winger).
Earl who knows?
Garbutt is good enough
KVY looks good enough.
Downes is good enough
Nolan was good enough for a play-off team before he joined us
Judge has been good enough for the Championship for most of his career.
Skuse has been too
Norwood and Jackson have shown they are good enough at this level.
Sears has shown he is good enough at Championship level.
Huws/Bishop/Dozzell and all the rest add plenty of depth and should be providing competition for places.

It is the organisation of them as a group of individuals where it is going wrong. Need to be a team with cohesive tactics. They aren't or when they are it is not resulting in goals and that is what makes the difference.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Three quarters of the season gone on 17:36 - Feb 22 with 1274 viewsHerbivore

Three quarters of the season gone on 17:28 - Feb 22 by Trequartista

I don't think they're that good. Their wages might say they are but there are too many players who were dreadfully out of their depth last season that are still here, even considering the drop in standard. To be a top team in League One you would expect to have about 5 or 6 players who would be comfortable in the Championship. With Skuse and Chambers now on the decline, who have we got? A couple of kids.

That's not excusing Lambert, he should have cleared more out, and he should still be doing a lot better with what he's got.

I think you overestimate the quality of the league to be honest. Looking at the Championship table I'm not sure the top sides from last season's League 1 have 5 or 6 players who are comfortable in the Championship. I'm not sure the sides above us have that either. Portsmouth have got Ellis Harrison ffs. Wycombe are top 6 with a 37 year old Akinfenwa in their side as their star man. The players you mention who struggled for us last season were previously top League 1 players in the case of Nsiala, Nolan and Edwards. We should have plenty enough in that squad to get promoted.

Three quarters of the season gone on 17:39 - Feb 22 with 1244 viewsDarth_Koont

Three quarters of the season gone on 17:34 - Feb 22 by Nthsuffolkblue

Holy looks at least this standard to me. Less convinced with Norris.

Chambers was good enough for the Championship most of his career, even if he is dropping off now he must be good enough for the top end of League 1.
Wilson is good enough.
Woolfenden is good enough but lacks experience. Will be at least Championship standard given time in my opinion.
Edwards was good enough for the higher levels of this league before he joined us (but as a winger).
Earl who knows?
Garbutt is good enough
KVY looks good enough.
Downes is good enough
Nolan was good enough for a play-off team before he joined us
Judge has been good enough for the Championship for most of his career.
Skuse has been too
Norwood and Jackson have shown they are good enough at this level.
Sears has shown he is good enough at Championship level.
Huws/Bishop/Dozzell and all the rest add plenty of depth and should be providing competition for places.

It is the organisation of them as a group of individuals where it is going wrong. Need to be a team with cohesive tactics. They aren't or when they are it is not resulting in goals and that is what makes the difference.

Yes, there's nothing wrong with the players and the funds available.

Almost everyone was recruited to do a job in the Championship. We've just never looked organised or solid enough even if we're starting to look better on that score after 30 games.

Only problem is that we're coming up against sides that have been organised and solid for a lot longer.

Pronouns: He/Him

Three quarters of the season gone on 17:39 - Feb 22 with 1212 viewsClareBlue

The thing I find strange is that normally when you get relegated it takes time to get confidence and win games because you are so used to loosing and you then come good as the season goes on and you start winning and get used to not expecting to loose. We did the exact oposite. We started full of confidence and got the rub of the green in a few matches (Peterborough away for example) and then lost all confidence when we were top of the league. There is no doubt at this level you have to find what works for you with what you have got and play to that strength. Teams in this league know exactly how to deal with the long ball up to someone running onto it and have been doing for season after season and have players to fit this, Ipswich do not have the experience or players to do this against the established League 1 teams and it is not their strength. That is why we might have the best players on paper but we are trying to out League 1, league 1 teams and we can not do it. Sunderland found that last year and have now adapted and Coventry have worked it out. This is where a good Manager is worth any star player in this League. Finding a system that plays to the strength of what is available to him. I have no confidence that PL even knows what that is for Ipswich, never mind trying to actually organise the team to do it. He also consitently insults our inteligence by dilusional interpretations of what we have all just seen. It's not spin, it's taking us for mugs.
Three quarters of the season gone on 17:41 - Feb 22 with 1183 viewsTrequartista

Three quarters of the season gone on 17:36 - Feb 22 by Herbivore

I think you overestimate the quality of the league to be honest. Looking at the Championship table I'm not sure the top sides from last season's League 1 have 5 or 6 players who are comfortable in the Championship. I'm not sure the sides above us have that either. Portsmouth have got Ellis Harrison ffs. Wycombe are top 6 with a 37 year old Akinfenwa in their side as their star man. The players you mention who struggled for us last season were previously top League 1 players in the case of Nsiala, Nolan and Edwards. We should have plenty enough in that squad to get promoted.

Sometimes a manager hits upon a system or gets momentum going whereby the team are more than the sum of their parts. I have a feeling that may have happened at Shrewsbury under Paul Hurst. I just cannot fathom how else Nsiala and Nolan could have been top League 1 players in 2017-18.

Three quarters of the season gone on 17:41 - Feb 22 with 1174 viewsReuser_is_God

Lambert out.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Three quarters of the season gone on 17:43 - Feb 22 with 1139 viewsTractorCam

Warnock would easily.

Poll: An interesting day for our politicians, but which one is worse?

Three quarters of the season gone on 17:46 - Feb 22 with 1100 viewsHerbivore

Three quarters of the season gone on 17:41 - Feb 22 by Trequartista

Sometimes a manager hits upon a system or gets momentum going whereby the team are more than the sum of their parts. I have a feeling that may have happened at Shrewsbury under Paul Hurst. I just cannot fathom how else Nsiala and Nolan could have been top League 1 players in 2017-18.

They were top players in this league because this league is toss.

Three quarters of the season gone on 17:47 - Feb 22 with 1076 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Three quarters of the season gone on 17:41 - Feb 22 by Trequartista

But it means if you can hit on a system that works with them, you certainly should be able to with a team of Woolfenden, Chambers, Downes, Garbutt, Dozzell, Judge, Edwards, Sears, Jackson, Norwood et al.

We don't even have to make it up with average League 1 players. But instead we are a collection of individuals instead of a team. That is tactics.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Three quarters of the season gone on 17:51 - Feb 22 with 1004 viewsTrequartista

Three quarters of the season gone on 17:47 - Feb 22 by Nthsuffolkblue

But it means if you can hit on a system that works with them, you certainly should be able to with a team of Woolfenden, Chambers, Downes, Garbutt, Dozzell, Judge, Edwards, Sears, Jackson, Norwood et al.

We don't even have to make it up with average League 1 players. But instead we are a collection of individuals instead of a team. That is tactics.

Sure we should be doing much better, i've already acknowledged that, I just think there are too many players who "once did it" in League One, but had their confidence shot last season, whereas players in other teams "have just done it" at this level and are on the rise.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024