Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
If you were Marcus Evans, what would you do? 08:45 - Feb 24 with 2775 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

This isn't a post in defence of Evans. The club isn't in a good way.

If you were in charge what would you do to change this, how would you go about rebuilding?

Sack Lambert? Replace with what sort of manager?
Appoint more football men? What roles

etc etc

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

If you were Marcus Evans, what would you do? on 08:51 - Feb 24 with 2763 viewsitfcjoe

I think I'd give O'Neill more responsibility to build a footballing team off the pitch like he has done successfully in the academy and cede a bit of control to him

Also to appoint and empower a CEO to run the club on a day to day basis.

But that won't happen, so I'd sack Lambert and roll the dice again
[Post edited 24 Feb 2020 8:53]

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

If you were Marcus Evans, what would you do? on 08:54 - Feb 24 with 2741 viewsWeekender

The glaringly obvious step that Evans hasn't taken is to install someone to set and oversee a long term football strategy. Everything is left with the 1st team manager. as a result every time a new manager comes in he has to start from scratch with a wide remit from a very low baseline. Both Hurst and Lambert have said a huge amount needs to be changed and it will take time. If there was a strategy to set up the infrastructure and direction the manager then can focus on the 1st team alone and on getting results. When a new manager is hired they should be hired on the basis they will buy into the strategy.

Lee O'Neil possibly has this role now but whether he will be up to it remains to be seen.

Poll: What's your HONEST opinion of nodge fans?
Blog: [Blog] The Curse of the Modern Football Fan.

If you were Marcus Evans, what would you do? on 08:57 - Feb 24 with 2726 viewstextbackup

If you were Marcus Evans, what would you do? on 08:51 - Feb 24 by itfcjoe

I think I'd give O'Neill more responsibility to build a footballing team off the pitch like he has done successfully in the academy and cede a bit of control to him

LON is a huge town fan, his whole family are too from what I gather, must be very hard to hold his position being a fan. I couldn’t do it, in real life I bite my tongue so much, but I’d be infront of ME and just explode I think

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

If you were Marcus Evans, what would you do? on 08:57 - Feb 24 with 2725 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

Watson and Warren have both said that O'Neil is meant to be a decent football man, far better than those that came before. I have no idea about his previous roles but he seems to come across as just another Evans Mouthpiece.

Shame really

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

If you were Marcus Evans, what would you do? on 09:04 - Feb 24 with 2689 viewsRadlett_blue

If you were Marcus Evans, what would you do? on 08:57 - Feb 24 by TRUE_BLUE123

Watson and Warren have both said that O'Neil is meant to be a decent football man, far better than those that came before. I have no idea about his previous roles but he seems to come across as just another Evans Mouthpiece.

Shame really

But where is O'Neill in the chain of command? Obviously, Evans sets the budgets & when O'Neill, Lambert & Taylor spoke at the recent London event there was a clear sense of frustration with how the club had been allowed to decline in terms of infrastructure, people etc as presumably Evans kept cutting budgets.
The set up of the club is one thing, but the lack of a coherent footballing strategy during the whole of Evans's reign has been a running sore. However, Sheffield United changed managers 5 times in 6 years when in the 3rd tier before getting lucky with Chris Wilder so maybe we'll eventually do the same. I see no sign of any team building or coherent pattern of play on the pitch so I think it's going to be a long haul.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

If you were Marcus Evans, what would you do? on 09:17 - Feb 24 with 2648 viewsGuthrum

If you were Marcus Evans, what would you do? on 08:54 - Feb 24 by Weekender

The glaringly obvious step that Evans hasn't taken is to install someone to set and oversee a long term football strategy. Everything is left with the 1st team manager. as a result every time a new manager comes in he has to start from scratch with a wide remit from a very low baseline. Both Hurst and Lambert have said a huge amount needs to be changed and it will take time. If there was a strategy to set up the infrastructure and direction the manager then can focus on the 1st team alone and on getting results. When a new manager is hired they should be hired on the basis they will buy into the strategy.

Lee O'Neil possibly has this role now but whether he will be up to it remains to be seen.

Possibly the Manager is (or has been) overloaded with off-pitch work. In the old days, there was less complexity of admin, HR, PR, inter- and intra-club politics, H&S, etc. than now and managers always did what there was, so had learnt how to do it.

Plus having a proper executive board, members of which you can speak to if the Chairman is unavailable and whom you can lobby to support your plans, must help.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

If you were Marcus Evans, what would you do? on 09:42 - Feb 24 with 2583 viewsFenland_Blue

He needs better advisors, can't imagine talking too and taking advice from Barry Fry and Harry Redknapp has helped.

Up and mainly down, following Town since 88

If you were Marcus Evans, what would you do? on 09:52 - Feb 24 with 2548 viewsPinewoodblue

The only doubt I have about O’Neill is what was his involvement in the decision to give Lambert a new contract. It was a mistake and he was the only one who could hav3 spoken up and questioned the wisdom of it.

Going forward the carrot didn’t work so time to get the stick out. Probably wouldn’t work on an old dog being expected to learn new tricks. Lambert certainly isn’t getting the best out of the squad available to him.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Login to get fewer ads

If you were Marcus Evans, what would you do? on 09:58 - Feb 24 with 2533 viewsWickets

Like most i'm well fed up now after the last 20 odd years , or whatever it is , but do we really think PL should be sacked ? Yes he has a poor record at Town but he has only had just over a year and we dont want to become a hire and fire club maybe give him at least another year ?
If you were Marcus Evans, what would you do? on 10:09 - Feb 24 with 2515 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

If you were Marcus Evans, what would you do? on 09:58 - Feb 24 by Wickets

Like most i'm well fed up now after the last 20 odd years , or whatever it is , but do we really think PL should be sacked ? Yes he has a poor record at Town but he has only had just over a year and we dont want to become a hire and fire club maybe give him at least another year ?

Sometimes you have to. It worked for Watford for a long time.

I would love to have a manager who is here for a longer period of time. However, Lambert just isn’t showing me anything

If you were Marcus Evans, what would you do? on 10:15 - Feb 24 with 2498 viewsChrisd

If you were Marcus Evans, what would you do? on 09:04 - Feb 24 by Radlett_blue

But where is O'Neill in the chain of command? Obviously, Evans sets the budgets & when O'Neill, Lambert & Taylor spoke at the recent London event there was a clear sense of frustration with how the club had been allowed to decline in terms of infrastructure, people etc as presumably Evans kept cutting budgets.
The set up of the club is one thing, but the lack of a coherent footballing strategy during the whole of Evans's reign has been a running sore. However, Sheffield United changed managers 5 times in 6 years when in the 3rd tier before getting lucky with Chris Wilder so maybe we'll eventually do the same. I see no sign of any team building or coherent pattern of play on the pitch so I think it's going to be a long haul.

And that's the thing with PL and his contract. If you could see the groundwork being put in place, you'd be more prepared to give things a chance to develop and show patience. I literally can't see that anything has changed since the end of last season. That's the biggest frustration for me. That was the huge opportunity during the back end of last season and during the summer to start creating something that we could all invest in, but PL has been idle, over confident and let that slip through his fingers. We're in no shape to go up, we're light-years behind bang average sides in the Championship. However, if there is one good thing to come from us staying down the manager can get rid of the dross and trim the fat of our bloated squad. He needs to start creating a team that has a sprinkling of our youngsters in it, mixed with some experience in key areas and start building and planning for the long term. Unfortunately, I wouldn't be trusting PL to lead that revolution.
[Post edited 24 Feb 2020 10:21]

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

If you were Marcus Evans, what would you do? on 10:18 - Feb 24 with 2495 viewsNo9

What Mr E needs is a good football man to advise & guide him.
From a commercial point of view Mr E is sitting on a bad investment
As far as football goes the problem is now long term from his bad experience of hiring a famous less than competent manager, probably for the wrong reasons to where Town are now with an unenviable record on the way which has meant a bad debt has been incurred that can only be eliminated with promotion to the promised land and the pay-out for achieving that.
That seems extremely unlikely now the cost of football has become far too high (unsustainable?) for many owners to fund.
What would I do ? Well I wouldn't be here because i would never have fallen for Sheepshanks big talk in the first place.
If you were Marcus Evans, what would you do? on 10:29 - Feb 24 with 2462 viewsPecker

Obviously as an Ipswich Town supporter I would invest. How much would depend on a number of things.

Lambert would have to go now. I would employ Warnock in the hope that he could still get us up this season. Depending on that and if Warnock wanted to stay, for next season I would give him a realistic budget of say £3-5 million to get us out of this league. We need to start again at some point, so that would be the start. I would trim the first team squad down to 25. With the academy players coming through, that is plenty. Warnock would ultimately decide, but I would want all the old wood gone and a fresh start. I would want Warnock only to sign first team players who will get us out of this league. I would also bring in a younger coach/manager to work along side Warnock to learn from his vast experience. I would trust Warnock to find this person.
If we went up, my budget for Warnock would be similar, maybe £5-7 million with the view of keeping us up and maybe mid- table safety would be more than acceptable. I would then continue to invest approximately £3-4 million every season, so that we could continue to rise up the division and achieve a higher league position season after season.
This is the controversial bit. I wouldn't be pushing for promotion. I think that if we finished around 8-10 every season in the Championship, most supporters would be chuffed. I would however want us to compete in the cups. A good cup run every other season, beating the likes of Everton and Arsenal away along the way would be superb. If promotion to the Prem was a realistic target come January, then obviously I would back the manager with a couple of quality signings. The most important thing with the signings is, that they must be first team starters. I am not going to spend a million or two on somebody to sit on the bench or go out on loan.
So, to sum up. Invest. New manager. Potential new manager as assistant. Championship football. Cup runs. Continued investment. Prem if possible, but not the be all and end all.

Very long winded I know, but you did ask.
If you were Marcus Evans, what would you do? on 11:49 - Feb 24 with 2388 viewsbraveblue

Sell. Write off the debt and use it as a group tax loss. Sell cheaply and get out. Exactly what people do in other businesses where they have made a catelogue of dreadful business errors.
If you were Marcus Evans, what would you do? on 13:02 - Feb 24 with 2313 viewsitfcjoe

If you were Marcus Evans, what would you do? on 09:58 - Feb 24 by Wickets

He's had 16 months and 75 games, it's hardly a quick sacking in football terms - ultimately you need to keep rolling the dice until you find the right one, just giving the wrong one more time isn't the best policy

Evans has got one appointment right so far in Mick, and I can understand giving the right guy too much time which seemed to happen - but no point chasing losses with what Lambert has shown us

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

If you were Marcus Evans, what would you do? on 13:09 - Feb 24 with 2270 viewsBryanPlug

If you were Marcus Evans, what would you do? on 09:42 - Feb 24 by Fenland_Blue

He needs better advisors, can't imagine talking too and taking advice from Barry Fry and Harry Redknapp has helped.

[content removed at owner's request]

Poll: What should the status of a turntable lid be when playing records?

If you were Marcus Evans, what would you do? on 13:24 - Feb 24 with 2233 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

There is so much that should be done, there is so so little that will be done.

He probably spends less than 5% of his business week on Ipswich Town, and that is probably 3-5 on a Saturday.

He is not a football man, he is a businessman, please appoint more football men - more Bryan Klug, less Ian Milne.

But he won't do nothing, Lambert will be kept on (due to 5 year deal), and he will give a good promo video around June which most will fall for.

Poll: Would you be happy with Paul Lambert?

If you were Marcus Evans, what would you do? on 14:32 - Feb 24 with 2150 viewsRadlett_blue

If you were Marcus Evans, what would you do? on 10:15 - Feb 24 by Chrisd

And that's the thing with PL and his contract. If you could see the groundwork being put in place, you'd be more prepared to give things a chance to develop and show patience. I literally can't see that anything has changed since the end of last season. That's the biggest frustration for me. That was the huge opportunity during the back end of last season and during the summer to start creating something that we could all invest in, but PL has been idle, over confident and let that slip through his fingers. We're in no shape to go up, we're light-years behind bang average sides in the Championship. However, if there is one good thing to come from us staying down the manager can get rid of the dross and trim the fat of our bloated squad. He needs to start creating a team that has a sprinkling of our youngsters in it, mixed with some experience in key areas and start building and planning for the long term. Unfortunately, I wouldn't be trusting PL to lead that revolution.
[Post edited 24 Feb 2020 10:21]

All I can see in terms of team building is that KVY is an excellent player & Holy is a decent keeper at this level (hence my irritation with the rotation with a loan player). Downes & Woolfenden are improving (I hope they stay) but even I could see they had what it takes so no real genius form PL there.

If you were Marcus Evans, what would you do? on 14:39 - Feb 24 with 2131 viewsRyorry

If you were Marcus Evans, what would you do? on 09:42 - Feb 24 by Fenland_Blue

Thought swanning around & showing off in Sandbanks like some sort of geriatric Cockney tourist guide was more 'arry's thing these days -

https://www.itv.com/hub/harry-redknapps-sandbanks-summer/2a7348a0001

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

If you were Marcus Evans, what would you do? on 14:59 - Feb 24 with 2103 viewsRadlett_blue

If you were Marcus Evans, what would you do? on 14:39 - Feb 24 by Ryorry

Thought swanning around & showing off in Sandbanks like some sort of geriatric Cockney tourist guide was more 'arry's thing these days -

https://www.itv.com/hub/harry-redknapps-sandbanks-summer/2a7348a0001

The Dodgy One does a dozen or so theatre dates each year. He's even returning to the Watford Colosseum for a second time in April for "An Audience with Harry Redknapp" and he's popping up on cruise ships so they must be lapping him up....
[Post edited 24 Feb 2020 15:00]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024