Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Worst vegetable 15:23 - Feb 24 with 11013 viewsfooters

It's a tie between the disgusting kohlrabi and okra. Both horrendous veg.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Worst vegetable on 23:10 - Feb 24 with 1570 viewsHARRY10

Worst vegetable on 22:59 - Feb 24 by jeera

Mire poix, yes. Sauces yes.

The cheat's curry sauce, yes.

As you say, raw is a no no.

I wonder if it keeps cats off the garden though. It must deter mustn't it.

I do grow lovage which can admittedly smell a bit like it uncooked, but it's not so offensive.

"keeps cats off the garden"

only it you throw it at them - though you can chase then with a stick if you can't afford to go fox hunting

and one trick I learnt from my dear old granny, was how to deal with cat hairs on your clothes

get a long strip of sellotape

.......... and wrap in arouns the cat
Worst vegetable on 01:34 - Feb 25 with 1554 viewscatch74

Worst vegetable on 20:08 - Feb 24 by Pecker

Frozen veg? No thanks.

Ok, peel the fresh ones then.

Poll: Who are the Numbskulls?

Worst vegetable on 04:26 - Feb 25 with 1543 viewsIPS_wich

Some odd views on here, with my absolute favourite vegetables being nominated as the worst (Sprouts, Broad beans and Beetroot).

As with most food it depends how it's cooked (or what it's like in raw form). My least favourite food item is a raw tomato - but most things I eat have cooked tomato in them (although for the purposes of this thread I'm assuming everyone has classified tomatoes as a fruit because there is no way there could be this many responses and no one calling out raw tomatoes as the work of Satan).

On that basis the following can be either delightful or awful depending on how they are prepared:

- Okra: Lovely if only lightly pan fried, inedible sludge if cooked for more than a minute or two

- Parsnip: Roasted I find them quite unpleasant, but as a puree they are lovely

- Peppers: Lovely in a chilli or curry, but I'm not a fan of raw pepper

- Celery and Fennel: Not a fan of either raw, but as a basis for soups or just lightly braised they are both transformed into something very lovely

Which for me leaves only one vegetable that I can't stand in any form - the Aubergine - quite horrendous whichever way it is served
Worst vegetable on 06:56 - Feb 25 with 1522 viewsHerbivore

Worst vegetable on 04:26 - Feb 25 by IPS_wich

Some odd views on here, with my absolute favourite vegetables being nominated as the worst (Sprouts, Broad beans and Beetroot).

As with most food it depends how it's cooked (or what it's like in raw form). My least favourite food item is a raw tomato - but most things I eat have cooked tomato in them (although for the purposes of this thread I'm assuming everyone has classified tomatoes as a fruit because there is no way there could be this many responses and no one calling out raw tomatoes as the work of Satan).

On that basis the following can be either delightful or awful depending on how they are prepared:

- Okra: Lovely if only lightly pan fried, inedible sludge if cooked for more than a minute or two

- Celery and Fennel: Not a fan of either raw, but as a basis for soups or just lightly braised they are both transformed into something very lovely

Which for me leaves only one vegetable that I can't stand in any form - the Aubergine - quite horrendous whichever way it is served

Get out.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Worst vegetable on 08:51 - Feb 25 with 1491 viewsBackToRussia

Worst vegetable on 04:26 - Feb 25 by IPS_wich

Try eating a real tomato. They're the tastiest thing on the planet.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.
Poll: Neil Young or Lynyrd Skynyrd - there is no middle ground.

Worst vegetable on 08:57 - Feb 25 with 1483 viewsLord_Lucan

Worst vegetable on 08:51 - Feb 25 by BackToRussia

Try eating a real tomato. They're the tastiest thing on the planet.

Funny things tomatoes, The ones is our shops are a horrible pinky yellow colour, grown under glass and taste of nothing. Walk round a Spanish supermarket and they are blood red and with a little bit of salt taste absolutely amazing.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Worst vegetable on 08:58 - Feb 25 with 1482 viewsBigManBlue

Most veg are pretty good, once you get past that weird British habit of boiling everything to a grey mush.

Poll: If Bart stays, who's no. 1?

Worst vegetable on 09:07 - Feb 25 with 1472 viewsGaryCooper

Worst vegetable on 08:57 - Feb 25 by Lord_Lucan

Funny things tomatoes, The ones is our shops are a horrible pinky yellow colour, grown under glass and taste of nothing. Walk round a Spanish supermarket and they are blood red and with a little bit of salt taste absolutely amazing.

Never keep them refrigerated is the answer, good tomatoes are available all year round now, so are the pink fluffy sh1t ones, why do people buy them?
Login to get fewer ads

Worst vegetable on 09:08 - Feb 25 with 1469 viewsjeera

Worst vegetable on 08:58 - Feb 25 by BigManBlue

Most veg are pretty good, once you get past that weird British habit of boiling everything to a grey mush.

Like people who boil a carrot for 25 minutes you mean.

Until they're translucent.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Worst vegetable on 09:18 - Feb 25 with 1450 viewsBigManBlue

Worst vegetable on 09:08 - Feb 25 by jeera

Like people who boil a carrot for 25 minutes you mean.

Until they're translucent.

I don't understand why anyone would boil when you could steam. Heathens.

Poll: If Bart stays, who's no. 1?

Worst vegetable on 09:21 - Feb 25 with 1440 viewsBackToRussia

Worst vegetable on 09:07 - Feb 25 by GaryCooper

Never keep them refrigerated is the answer, good tomatoes are available all year round now, so are the pink fluffy sh1t ones, why do people buy them?

People have got used to things not tasting of anything. One person tried a cucumber I'd grown and said it tasted too much of cucumber. They wanted the crunchy water containers they can get at the shops.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.

Worst vegetable on 09:26 - Feb 25 with 1424 viewsjeera

Worst vegetable on 09:21 - Feb 25 by BackToRussia

People have got used to things not tasting of anything. One person tried a cucumber I'd grown and said it tasted too much of cucumber. They wanted the crunchy water containers they can get at the shops.

I long for the day I have a proper garden again.

I only have a small space where I am for now but have still managed to grow a few bits the past couple of years. Dug out a strip against the wall and get a number of runners, French beans and mange tout along there, along with several tomato plants.

But I also made space for a couple of large tubs and grew yellow courgettes. They were producing a decent enough sized one-a-day for several weeks so I was more than happy with that. Much nicer than something that's been sitting in some cooler for too long.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Worst vegetable on 09:32 - Feb 25 with 1417 viewsGaryCooper

Worst vegetable on 09:21 - Feb 25 by BackToRussia

Home grown cucumbers are tremendous.
Worst vegetable on 09:39 - Feb 25 with 1409 viewsChiefXL

Worst vegetable on 22:05 - Feb 24 by footers

Results:

Okra - 4
Parsnip - 3
Celery - 2
Kohlrabi - 2
Broad bean - 2
Beetroot - 2
Globe artichoke - 1
Ghost pepper - 1
The allium family - 1
Sp(r)outs - 1
Chillis - 1
Pak choi - 1
Spinach - 1

Some misguided views on beetroot and parsnip imo, but thankfully okra still tops the list.

Another vote for Okra.
Disgusting, slimy bastards.....
Worst vegetable on 09:45 - Feb 25 with 1401 viewsWeWereZombies

Worst vegetable on 09:39 - Feb 25 by ChiefXL

Another vote for Okra.
Disgusting, slimy bastards.....

It's my favourite Quorn album - A Night At The Okra...

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Worst vegetable on 09:45 - Feb 25 with 1401 viewsCoastalblue

Worst vegetable on 08:57 - Feb 25 by Lord_Lucan

When I went to Cuba years ago we went out on one of these four wheel drive excursion trip things. There's a story in itself there but that's for another day.

We went to a farm for lunch and they had all this fruit laid out on a table in a field, eat whatever you like. It was absolutely incredible, the flavours of everything were at least ten times that of anything you would buy in a British shop.
I love fruit, but that experience actually spoiled it for me for a while once I'd realised just how much I was missing out on.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Worst vegetable on 09:53 - Feb 25 with 1394 viewsBackToRussia

Worst vegetable on 09:26 - Feb 25 by jeera

I long for the day I have a proper garden again.

I only have a small space where I am for now but have still managed to grow a few bits the past couple of years. Dug out a strip against the wall and get a number of runners, French beans and mange tout along there, along with several tomato plants.

But I also made space for a couple of large tubs and grew yellow courgettes. They were producing a decent enough sized one-a-day for several weeks so I was more than happy with that. Much nicer than something that's been sitting in some cooler for too long.

Excellent. Amazing what you can do with a small area though. Allotments are way too big for an individual, you could feed a few families off that space.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.

Worst vegetable on 09:55 - Feb 25 with 1390 viewsHerbivore

Worst vegetable on 09:53 - Feb 25 by BackToRussia

Excellent. Amazing what you can do with a small area though. Allotments are way too big for an individual, you could feed a few families off that space.

Allotments are huge, easily feed 3-4 people from one. My mate has one and I couldn't believe the size of his plot.

Worst vegetable on 09:55 - Feb 25 with 1390 viewsBackToRussia

Worst vegetable on 09:45 - Feb 25 by Coastalblue

When I went to Cuba years ago we went out on one of these four wheel drive excursion trip things. There's a story in itself there but that's for another day.

We went to a farm for lunch and they had all this fruit laid out on a table in a field, eat whatever you like. It was absolutely incredible, the flavours of everything were at least ten times that of anything you would buy in a British shop.
I love fruit, but that experience actually spoiled it for me for a while once I'd realised just how much I was missing out on.

Would be a struggle to grow anything tropical here ofc but in principle you can get that level of flavour in your back garden with stuff that grows in the UK.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.

Worst vegetable on 09:56 - Feb 25 with 1388 viewsleitrimblue

Worst vegetable on 16:42 - Feb 24 by Pecker

Life is to short to start peeling beans.

And you would get yer fingers covered in ketchup
Worst vegetable on 10:03 - Feb 25 with 1381 viewsBackToRussia

Worst vegetable on 09:55 - Feb 25 by Herbivore

Allotments are huge, easily feed 3-4 people from one. My mate has one and I couldn't believe the size of his plot.

Yes, I thought plots were meant to be all the same size (measured in poles or some weird medieval scale) but I don't think they are in practice. I also used to think they were in high demand but I know people who end up with 3 or 4 plots on one allotment because they're going spare. All for nothing too, one of the best things about this country IMO. But underutilised.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.

Worst vegetable on 12:24 - Feb 25 with 1342 viewsChondzoresk

Jerusalem Artichokes, what is the actual point. Yuk!
Worst vegetable on 12:27 - Feb 25 with 1336 viewsWeWereZombies

Worst vegetable on 10:03 - Feb 25 by BackToRussia

Yes, I thought plots were meant to be all the same size (measured in poles or some weird medieval scale) but I don't think they are in practice. I also used to think they were in high demand but I know people who end up with 3 or 4 plots on one allotment because they're going spare. All for nothing too, one of the best things about this country IMO. But underutilised.

We won't let you go measuring your plot in poles after the end of this year.

Local Allotment Association.

(And tidy it up a bit)

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Worst vegetable on 12:44 - Feb 25 with 1324 viewsfooters

Worst vegetable on 09:45 - Feb 25 by WeWereZombies

It's my favourite Quorn album - A Night At The Okra...

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Worst vegetable on 12:49 - Feb 25 with 1314 viewsHerbivore

Worst vegetable on 10:03 - Feb 25 by BackToRussia

I'm tempted to get one. I've been to his a couple of times and it's really tranquil, meet some nice folk. He's got four huge beds so you can even just leave one empty to nature every year and still grow a load of food.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024