Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The chosen 12... 16:58 - Feb 26 with 8457 viewsSitfcB

1 John Wark
2 Matt Holland
3 Mick Mills
4 Terry Butcher
5 Paul Mariner
6 Kevin Beattie
7 George Burley
8 Ray Crawford
9 Arnold Muhren
10 Frans Thijssen
11 Marcus Stewart
12 Jim Magilton

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

The chosen 12... on 15:23 - Feb 27 with 761 viewsr2d2

The chosen 12... on 13:38 - Feb 27 by vapour_trail

TWTD? Can you fcking imagine.

I meant Phil and Gav. Not the numbskulls on here!
The chosen 12... on 20:05 - Feb 27 with 704 viewsreadtheleaguetable

With all due respect to the chosen 12, I think that it is impossible to have a legitimate ‘top dozen’ without including Ted Phillips. His goal-scoring prowess and his contribution to the club’s history both demand recognition. Only one player included from our only Town side to EVER be “The Champions of England”? Absurd.
I agree with those who have pointed out that Beattie’s statue is already a fitting tribute to our greatest ever player, and that’s the only possible reason ‘Sir Kevin’ finished so low down in this top 12 list. So I respectfully suggest that Beattie’s pillar recognition is redundant and that his pillar should be ceded to Terrifying Ted.
[Post edited 27 Feb 2020 20:09]

Qu'est-ce que vous chantez? Nous chantons "Les Bleus, allez!"

The chosen 12... on 20:46 - Feb 27 with 681 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

I assumed it was meant for more cult heroes. I Must have missed the memo. I wanted players like Wilnis and Stockwell. It seems it is more our best players.

Not against it though, good list.

Beat shouldn't be on there with respect though. Bringing Micky I say.

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

The chosen 12... on 22:23 - Feb 27 with 655 viewsbazgammon

The chosen 12... on 17:34 - Feb 26 by Lord_Lucan

How come? With a better keeper we would have won the league.

If he was so good he would have been talked about as an England player but he never got a sniff. Joe Corrigan and Phil Parkes were above him and both got caps.

Even when Robson went to manage England he selected Nigel Spink.

tbf Clemence and Shilton had a monopoly as England Keepers in the early 80's alternating until Spain 82 when Shilts was deemed #1. If we had a better squad in 80/81 we would have won the treble but the likes of Turner, Parkin and Steggles were not really of the same calibre. Coops was around at the wrong time and his penalty saving record alone was incredible.

Poll: Lambert

The chosen 12... on 22:27 - Feb 27 with 652 viewsCoastalblue

The chosen 12... on 20:46 - Feb 27 by TRUE_BLUE123

I assumed it was meant for more cult heroes. I Must have missed the memo. I wanted players like Wilnis and Stockwell. It seems it is more our best players.

Not against it though, good list.

Beat shouldn't be on there with respect though. Bringing Micky I say.

Nah when it came through I'm sure I read it as favourite players, not the best players, which is why you couldn't have a panel doing it.

It was supposed to be a list of players who were your personal favourites, at least that's the way I read it.

I mean I voted for Sedgely, he wouldn't get in our top 250 players but I loved watching him, going a deeper shade of red the more wound up he got.

Would have nice to have seen Stocky get one, he was a real club servant and could play too.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

The chosen 12... on 22:37 - Feb 27 with 650 viewsLord_Lucan

The chosen 12... on 22:23 - Feb 27 by bazgammon

tbf Clemence and Shilton had a monopoly as England Keepers in the early 80's alternating until Spain 82 when Shilts was deemed #1. If we had a better squad in 80/81 we would have won the treble but the likes of Turner, Parkin and Steggles were not really of the same calibre. Coops was around at the wrong time and his penalty saving record alone was incredible.

I sort of agree to an extent but it isn't just 81 when we should have won the league, with Jennings for example we would have won it three times over that period.

Slightly off on a tangent but that Clemence / Shilton rotation thing by Greenwood was the daftest thing ever. Personally I thought Shilton was twice the keeper but regardless, the fact that he rotated game per game was madness.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

The chosen 12... on 08:19 - Feb 28 with 590 viewsPJH

The chosen 12... on 22:23 - Feb 27 by bazgammon

I agree that it was lack of squad depth that really cost us in 1980/81 but nobody had huge squads because only one sub was allowed in league games anyway.

Villa were far luckier than us regarding injuries, used only 14 players all season whereas we used 21.

I think Cooper was a good goalkeeper but well short of Shilton, Clemence and particularly Jennings class.

Paul Cooper did not cost us the treble but IF we had signed Jennings in 1977 I think our list of honours would be even better than it already is.
The chosen 12... on 08:29 - Feb 28 with 577 viewsIpswichKnight

The chosen 12... on 18:55 - Feb 26 by Wickwar_Blue

The absence of one Maurice Treacle may be the final straw for me and ITFC!

We could do with him now if only to teach our team the dark arts of playing to the ref and making sure you are never caught when you do something a bit naughty!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024