Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I appear to have a jinxed car 17:35 - Mar 6 with 1657 viewssparks

Obviously I don't believe in such things, but since I got my Mazda in 2016 or so it has been hit three times- on each occasion whilst I was stationary. In my previous 20+ years of driving- never been hit.... Annoying.

This one was a fairly young girl- who is now asking if I will go and get a quote and do things outside of insurance. I feel quite sorry for her- its clearly going to be painful either way for her, but especially if she goes through insurance. That said we are both under a legal obligation to report in any event, so organising payment outside of insurance probably wont protect her from premium hikes anyway.

I'm not very inclined to agree- I want it done properly at no hassle to me and really dont want the bother of going around and getting quotes etc and then having to drop the thing off somewhere and get back hom or to work to pick up another car, when an insurance company will send round an assessor, collect the car etc and just sort it.

Being a softy though, I remain undecided at this point. Will wait until tomorrow at least to see if my somewhat sore back is just a fleeting thing, or if I wake up with pain and stiffness.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

I appear to have a jinxed car on 17:37 - Mar 6 with 1639 viewsLord_Lucan

I would recommend feigning whiplash.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

I appear to have a jinxed car on 17:40 - Mar 6 with 1628 viewsjeera

It is a funny one.

My mum has one of those cars that seems to be some kind of twit magnet.

It's been hit whilst parked up more times than I can remember and it's only a little 107 thing.

People are always friendly in the immediate aftermath of a knock but remain cautious that she doesn't try to do the dirty a bit further down the line.

Find out where her kids go to school or something. Just in case.

I hope you took photos on your phone?

(It can't hurt to get a quote or 2 I suppose if you can find the time).

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

I appear to have a jinxed car on 17:42 - Mar 6 with 1620 viewssparks

I appear to have a jinxed car on 17:40 - Mar 6 by jeera

It is a funny one.

My mum has one of those cars that seems to be some kind of twit magnet.

It's been hit whilst parked up more times than I can remember and it's only a little 107 thing.

People are always friendly in the immediate aftermath of a knock but remain cautious that she doesn't try to do the dirty a bit further down the line.

Find out where her kids go to school or something. Just in case.

I hope you took photos on your phone?

(It can't hurt to get a quote or 2 I suppose if you can find the time).

You can rest assured that I am very much au fait with how to deal with these things. I have photos, reg etc. I can sue if I wish to.

Generally, the best approach in my view is to call teh other party;s insurers and invite them to deal. They much prefer that than having to deal with a claims company, credit hire, lawyer's fees etc.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)

I appear to have a jinxed car on 17:46 - Mar 6 with 1602 viewsjeera

I appear to have a jinxed car on 17:42 - Mar 6 by sparks

You can rest assured that I am very much au fait with how to deal with these things. I have photos, reg etc. I can sue if I wish to.

Generally, the best approach in my view is to call teh other party;s insurers and invite them to deal. They much prefer that than having to deal with a claims company, credit hire, lawyer's fees etc.

"You can rest assured that I am very much au fait with how to deal with these things. "

I genuinely don't doubt that for one moment.

I appear to have a jinxed car on 17:51 - Mar 6 with 1591 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Encounter with young girl leads to stiffness...,the Lord works in mysterious ways.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

I appear to have a jinxed car on 17:56 - Mar 6 with 1577 viewsSwansea_Blue

Tough one. I can understand your position around wanting it sorted, I can understand why you feel for her.

Depends on the car and what you want. If it was from new/nearly new in 2016 I’d want it done at a main dealer. She’s wanting to avoid hefty insurance increases, so would probably baulk at main dealer prices anyway. So that’s a potential can of worms. People can also change their stories once they’ve had a chance to speak to family members/friends and think about things.

I’d probably go through insurance as it protects you. But I wouldn’t like it; I hate the insurance environment (they’re parasites) and it would be great if we could resolve things without them.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

I appear to have a jinxed car on 17:58 - Mar 6 with 1570 viewsGeoffSentence

For you average bloke it all comes down to one question.

Was she a honey?

But I know you are above that Bully.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

I appear to have a jinxed car on 17:58 - Mar 6 with 1564 viewsjeera

I appear to have a jinxed car on 17:58 - Mar 6 by GeoffSentence

For you average bloke it all comes down to one question.

Was she a honey?

But I know you are above that Bully.

I'm not.

I'd fall for that everytime, and then lose out like a mug.

Login to get fewer ads

I appear to have a jinxed car on 18:03 - Mar 6 with 1543 viewssparks

I appear to have a jinxed car on 17:56 - Mar 6 by Swansea_Blue

Tough one. I can understand your position around wanting it sorted, I can understand why you feel for her.

Depends on the car and what you want. If it was from new/nearly new in 2016 I’d want it done at a main dealer. She’s wanting to avoid hefty insurance increases, so would probably baulk at main dealer prices anyway. So that’s a potential can of worms. People can also change their stories once they’ve had a chance to speak to family members/friends and think about things.

I’d probably go through insurance as it protects you. But I wouldn’t like it; I hate the insurance environment (they’re parasites) and it would be great if we could resolve things without them.

its a late 13 plate with 84k on the clock (vast majority of that is my mileage). Its a nice car and I intend to be driving it for a good few years to come.

I agree its always messy when done informally. Folks start complaining about quotes, or haggling over whether it needs a new bumper, or just some body filler and paint... If asked this morning, I would have said withotu hesitation always do it properly. But knowing how much youngster pay for car insurance these days- I just feel a bit bad. Which is ridiculously English of me, given that i was the one hit, by someone plainly not paying attention on a narrow country lane, where we had already had to stop and squeeze past a lorry 100 yards earlier!

I appear to have a jinxed car on 18:05 - Mar 6 with 1535 viewsGeoffSentence

I appear to have a jinxed car on 17:37 - Mar 6 by Lord_Lucan

I would recommend feigning whiplash.

You don't even need to feign it. Sentencette got clattered into by some distracted chappy on the A1071 and the legal team from her insurance told her to to claim for it.

It did mean going to a a few physio sessions, but that was it.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

I appear to have a jinxed car on 18:07 - Mar 6 with 1531 viewssparks

I appear to have a jinxed car on 18:05 - Mar 6 by GeoffSentence

You don't even need to feign it. Sentencette got clattered into by some distracted chappy on the A1071 and the legal team from her insurance told her to to claim for it.

It did mean going to a a few physio sessions, but that was it.

Not a chance of me doing that.

But I do genuinely have a slightly sore back- so I will see how it is in the morning.

I appear to have a jinxed car on 18:14 - Mar 6 with 1491 viewsSwansea_Blue

I had a jinxed car once. I bought a Toyota Celica in the late 90s. It was the first time I’d taken out a loan and spent a good chunk of cash on a nearly new car. In 3 years it suffered:
- a kid falling off his bike all along one side when parked
- a keying all down the other side - all 3 panels
- smashed window break-in, wrecked console where some scrotes tried to nick the stereo in Burnley on an away day (we lost too)
- driven into in a car park, smashed rear bumper

I’ve never had anything like it on any other car in over 30 yrs.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

I appear to have a jinxed car on 18:15 - Mar 6 with 1486 viewsbluelagos

"we are both under a legal obligation to report in any event"

What's the story Bully? Is that right? And if you don't, how would anyone ever know?

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

I appear to have a jinxed car on 18:19 - Mar 6 with 1471 viewssparks

I appear to have a jinxed car on 18:15 - Mar 6 by bluelagos

"we are both under a legal obligation to report in any event"

What's the story Bully? Is that right? And if you don't, how would anyone ever know?

Absolutely it is. Read your insurance policy wording. I dont believe I have ever seen a policy without a reporting obligation.

Its not some statutory obligation- but it is contractual. I am well aware that many people might not bother. But I am not one of those people.

I appear to have a jinxed car on 18:24 - Mar 6 with 1456 viewsbluelagos

I appear to have a jinxed car on 18:19 - Mar 6 by sparks

Absolutely it is. Read your insurance policy wording. I dont believe I have ever seen a policy without a reporting obligation.

Its not some statutory obligation- but it is contractual. I am well aware that many people might not bother. But I am not one of those people.

Never doubted it for a minute.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

I appear to have a jinxed car on 10:47 - Mar 7 with 1243 viewssparks

I appear to have a jinxed car on 18:24 - Mar 6 by bluelagos

Never doubted it for a minute.

Daughter is complaining of a sore back this morning. Which rather resolves the dilemma.

I appear to have a jinxed car on 10:53 - Mar 7 with 1227 viewsBlueastheycome

Is she fit?
I appear to have a jinxed car on 11:06 - Mar 7 with 1207 viewssparks

I appear to have a jinxed car on 10:53 - Mar 7 by Blueastheycome

Is she fit?

Rather depends on whether you are a pedo.

I appear to have a jinxed car on 11:57 - Mar 7 with 1159 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Presumably people getting too close trying to get a look at hairdresser driving it...

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

I appear to have a jinxed car on 13:30 - Mar 7 with 1114 viewssparks

I appear to have a jinxed car on 11:57 - Mar 7 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Presumably people getting too close trying to get a look at hairdresser driving it...

I appear to have a jinxed car on 13:41 - Mar 7 with 1100 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Sorry to hear about your dilemma, Sparks.

As for the jinxed idea, I think there may well be reasons why some colours/conditions/rear light designs make a vehicle more difficult to see - perfectly scientific. Maybe look out for some data and see if there is a claim to be had against the manufacturer there!

If you are fully comp, passing it to your own insurer to deal with takes all hassle and risk out of it for you. They won't consider any option other than dealing with her own insurer. That is unfortunate for her. However, there is always a difference between going into the back of an old banger and leaving a scratch/minor dent and hitting a decent car and causing some damage. It is a life lesson she will learn. She may as well learn it now. Would you feel the same if it had been a middle-aged bloke doing the same thing?

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

I appear to have a jinxed car on 13:45 - Mar 7 with 1093 viewssparks

I appear to have a jinxed car on 13:41 - Mar 7 by Nthsuffolkblue

Sorry to hear about your dilemma, Sparks.

As for the jinxed idea, I think there may well be reasons why some colours/conditions/rear light designs make a vehicle more difficult to see - perfectly scientific. Maybe look out for some data and see if there is a claim to be had against the manufacturer there!

If you are fully comp, passing it to your own insurer to deal with takes all hassle and risk out of it for you. They won't consider any option other than dealing with her own insurer. That is unfortunate for her. However, there is always a difference between going into the back of an old banger and leaving a scratch/minor dent and hitting a decent car and causing some damage. It is a life lesson she will learn. She may as well learn it now. Would you feel the same if it had been a middle-aged bloke doing the same thing?

The instinct to try to help her out a bit, comes very much from the fact that she is young and has a tatty little car. She can probably barely afford to insure it already given the rates young people have to pay for car insurance these days. Thats all.

No point using my fully comp- because they do treat it as a claim and take excess ec until they get repaid. Quicker and easier to simply claim against the other party;s insurance. Many insurers these days actually try to pass you on to an accident management company and credit hire to pursue the claim rather than doing it themselves anyway. Which can be the route of all sorts of additional hassle.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024