Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Panic buying 09:18 - Mar 21 with 8959 viewsGuthrum

Is this a symptom of the nation's poor/fragile mental health?

After the shocks of Credit Crunch, Austerity, Brexit and now Covid-19 (that last dropping like a bolt out of the blue), was it all too much for people to take?

Discuss.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Panic buying on 09:57 - Mar 21 with 4869 viewsDubtractor

I'm gonna be controversial here, but I think it is because a lot of people are idiots.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Panic buying on 10:03 - Mar 21 with 4850 viewshampstead_blue

Panic buying on 09:57 - Mar 21 by Dubtractor

I'm gonna be controversial here, but I think it is because a lot of people are idiots.

So controversial...I'm surprised you've not been hounded by now...

Mrs H went to Waitrose this morning to get some groceries for an elderly couple we're looking out for.
The first hour was for key workers and the olds.

the olds were under a pile of loo roll.....WTF!

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Panic buying on 10:16 - Mar 21 with 4827 viewssparks

Panic buying on 10:03 - Mar 21 by hampstead_blue

So controversial...I'm surprised you've not been hounded by now...

Mrs H went to Waitrose this morning to get some groceries for an elderly couple we're looking out for.
The first hour was for key workers and the olds.

the olds were under a pile of loo roll.....WTF!

I think its normal and natural- but more importantly, self reinforcing.

The first time you go into a supermarket and cant see any loo roll at all- and are hearing rumorus of complete lockdown, you make damned sure next time you see some to stock up because you know everyone else is going to and if you don't....

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Panic buying on 10:20 - Mar 21 with 4807 viewshampstead_blue

Panic buying on 10:16 - Mar 21 by sparks

The first time you go into a supermarket and cant see any loo roll at all- and are hearing rumorus of complete lockdown, you make damned sure next time you see some to stock up because you know everyone else is going to and if you don't....

I hear your point.

I still find it utterly bemusing. Maybe I should watch more ITV then I'll know what a lot of the general public are getting fed.

R4 and the BBC are clearly to sensible.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.

Panic buying on 10:29 - Mar 21 with 4778 viewsHerbivore

Panic buying on 10:16 - Mar 21 by sparks

Not if you aren't a dick. If you're not a dick you calm yourself down and behave normally.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Panic buying on 10:35 - Mar 21 with 4760 viewsHerbivore

I'm not sure I buy the explanation, Guthers, although it's an interesting point. The thing is, those hardest hit by austerity can't afford to go out and stockpile a year's worth of toilet roll and pasta. Those stockpiling have the means to do so.

Panic buying on 11:07 - Mar 21 with 4724 viewsBloomBlue

I think it's more related to the UK's shopping habits of moving to shop mostly from large supermarkets or online. The days of every village having it's own bakers, butchers small shop have long gone, whereas go to France and loads of villages still have their own bakery selling freshly made bread. But in the UK the shopping and supply chain is built around the big supermarkets.
Panic buying on 11:17 - Mar 21 with 4696 viewsFixed_It

Panic buying on 10:29 - Mar 21 by Herbivore

Not if you aren't a dick. If you're not a dick you calm yourself down and behave normally.

And end up wiping your bum with your socks a few weeks down the line.
It is crazy - but you can understand why people get caught up in it.

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Login to get fewer ads

Panic buying on 11:24 - Mar 21 with 4666 viewsHerbivore

Panic buying on 11:17 - Mar 21 by Fixed_It

Or, you know, just be sensible about it.

Panic buying on 11:25 - Mar 21 with 4675 viewsDanTheMan

Yup, see people buying all the beer except the Corona.

Also got more annoyed than usual at all the panic buying this morning because people had not only taken all the standard pasta, but have now decided to move onto the gluten free pasta.

Please leave the free from range for people who actually need it folks.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Panic buying on 11:26 - Mar 21 with 4661 viewssparks

Panic buying on 11:25 - Mar 21 by DanTheMan

Also got more annoyed than usual at all the panic buying this morning because people had not only taken all the standard pasta, but have now decided to move onto the gluten free pasta.

I was thinking that, in the UK at least, Corona beer sales would be through the roof. Perhaps its just my sense of irreverence.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)

Panic buying on 11:29 - Mar 21 with 4651 viewsDanTheMan

Panic buying on 11:26 - Mar 21 by sparks

I was thinking that, in the UK at least, Corona beer sales would be through the roof. Perhaps its just my sense of irreverence.

You'd like to think so, but sadly, people are just leaving it. I don't particularly like it anyway but feel a little bad for the company.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Panic buying on 11:30 - Mar 21 with 4642 viewssparks

Panic buying on 11:29 - Mar 21 by DanTheMan

You'd like to think so, but sadly, people are just leaving it. I don't particularly like it anyway but feel a little bad for the company.

I will buy some if I see it.

Panic buying on 11:34 - Mar 21 with 4623 viewshampstead_blue

Panic buying on 11:25 - Mar 21 by DanTheMan

Top point.

Buy what you need. We are. It's not hard to pop into the shops every two or three days and top-up.

The only we need to lock down is crap tv shows, GMT and the like. Get those who watch that trash into listening to R4.

Panic buying on 11:36 - Mar 21 with 4616 viewsjas0999

No. It’s differing factors. With some it is simply greed. With others it’s just being foolish.
Panic buying on 11:39 - Mar 21 with 4605 viewssparks

Panic buying on 11:36 - Mar 21 by jas0999

No. It’s differing factors. With some it is simply greed. With others it’s just being foolish.

Others recognised that if they left it, they would be stuck with a family and no bog roll!

Panic buying on 11:41 - Mar 21 with 4601 viewsJ2BLUE

I think it started with stupidity and as moved to genuine terror. The stuff coming out of Italy is incredible. I think people are just stocking up as much as they can for when they day comes when it gets very bad and they can lock the door and stay locked down.

As for mental health this forum is doing me more harm than good at the moment. Every update is posted. More grim than encouraging. The detailed breakdown of what happens when you get seriously ill from the virus has pushed me over the edge. I'm happy to stay at home and walk to the local shop late each night but I wish my mum and nan had enough provisions to last several months.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Panic buying on 11:44 - Mar 21 with 4589 viewsBarcaBlue

My take on it is a deep fear of the unknown. We've been in "lockdown" for a week in Spain. The days leading up to the restrictions saw massive panic buying and that continued into the first couple of days. Since then it's really calmed down, the supermarkets are well stocked, plenty of fresh veg, fruit and meat. There was plenty of loo roll yesterday but there was a lack of some cleaning products along with some personal hygiene stuff.

It seems people have realized that stocks are holding up and there's no real need for panic. This is just one observation from a small town in Catalunya. Thing may be different elsewhere..

On a related note, the restrictions of movement here are very strict and that may have a bearing on people really coming to terms with the situation - maybe that hasn't fully kicked in elsewhere.
Panic buying on 11:57 - Mar 21 with 4555 viewsParisBlue

Panic buying on 11:07 - Mar 21 by BloomBlue

I think it's more related to the UK's shopping habits of moving to shop mostly from large supermarkets or online. The days of every village having it's own bakers, butchers small shop have long gone, whereas go to France and loads of villages still have their own bakery selling freshly made bread. But in the UK the shopping and supply chain is built around the big supermarkets.

Agree with this. The shopping habits of the French is one of the things I miss the most about living there. It's an event, start and end at the boulangerie (because by the time you visited the other shops you've eaten most of the warm freshly baked baguette you bought...knowing full well that was going to be the case...).

Nobody buys meat, fish. bread or vegetables from the supermarket. The idea of 24 hour supermarkets would horrify them (at least it did when I was there)

There's a lot to be said for protecting small business and private enterprise ahead of the corporations

Libraries gave us power
Poll: Which position in the table will we be after Saturday?

Panic buying on 12:12 - Mar 21 with 4516 viewsstrikalite

Panic buying on 11:17 - Mar 21 by Fixed_It

There needs to be a Gov tv ad right now on educating the thick how to wipe their ar$e correctly and efficiently for the good of toilet roll..

Seriously, how much paper do these idiots use..
Panic buying on 12:27 - Mar 21 with 4488 viewsIllinoisblue

I think it’s more to do with two factors: firstly a lot of people are morons. A quick scan of Facebook will provide more than enough evidence that people are stupid and happy to share any old nonsense. Even normally sane and decent people willingly spread lies and misinformation. Just this morning one of my former high school teachers put out that “hospital sent a message today saying the virus is spread more via petrol pumps...”. Which hospital put this message out? Spoiler: they didn’t. And yet it will shared many many times because people are fooking stupid.

Secondly, 24/7 news only inflames and amplified the madness.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Panic buying on 12:34 - Mar 21 with 4466 viewsjeera

Panic buying on 12:27 - Mar 21 by Illinoisblue

I think it’s more to do with two factors: firstly a lot of people are morons. A quick scan of Facebook will provide more than enough evidence that people are stupid and happy to share any old nonsense. Even normally sane and decent people willingly spread lies and misinformation. Just this morning one of my former high school teachers put out that “hospital sent a message today saying the virus is spread more via petrol pumps...”. Which hospital put this message out? Spoiler: they didn’t. And yet it will shared many many times because people are fooking stupid.

Secondly, 24/7 news only inflames and amplified the madness.

Maybe someone put that out there who desperately needed fuel but was struggling to find any. Not a bad idea.

Maybe start a meme saying toilet rolls spread the virus.

Especially the nicer, Cushelle types.
[Post edited 21 Mar 2020 14:54]

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Panic buying on 13:08 - Mar 21 with 4412 viewsWeWereZombies

This is one of those depressing threads where almost all replies fail to discuss the question posed - with the honourable exceptions of BloomBlue, J2 and BarcaBlue.

For what it is worth I think you are firing wide of the target with the Credit Crunch, Austerity policies and Brexit. They are events that can disturb an already unsettled mind, the fragile mental health may come from major sections of the population rarely having significant connections with the natural world as well as news media becoming increasingly subject to content and agendas driven by popularity rather than major news events. This, in turn, allows for a polarised population who know how to argue their particular corner without understanding the issues that have put them there. Such situations are disconcerting, alienating and give constant instances of failure punctuated with occasional successes which are celebrated to a disproportionate level.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Panic buying on 13:25 - Mar 21 with 4373 viewsallezlesbleus

I've just popped out to get a few bits of food, in Normandy.

On my 5 mile ish journey to the supermarket, I didn't pass one car in either direction. The supermarket had about 20 customers in, at midday on a Saturday, 5 days into a lockdown. (I know lunchtimes are traditionally quiet, but that was amazing). The shelves were full of produce, including toilet roll etc. The only real difference was a sign saying that the fish counter would be closed from Monday.

As you say Dubtractor, I think a lot of people are idiots.....selfish idiots.
Panic buying on 13:51 - Mar 21 with 4343 viewsHerbivore

Panic buying on 11:39 - Mar 21 by sparks

Others recognised that if they left it, they would be stuck with a family and no bog roll!

Which, unless you were literally down to your last roll, was never likely. Responding to a panic with panic is not the best way to go.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024