Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Whatever help he gives the self employed 17:31 - Mar 26 with 4035 viewsbluelagos

There would be a beautiful irony if it is based on previous tax returns :-)

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Whatever help he gives the self employed on 17:34 - Mar 26 with 2976 viewsuefacup81

Given that the support is going to be based on profits, isn't that precisely what he's done?

A few chickens finally coming home to roost there!

Poll: Predictions for tonight?

Whatever help he gives the self employed on 17:39 - Mar 26 with 2926 viewsPinewoodblue

Whatever help he gives the self employed on 17:34 - Mar 26 by uefacup81

Given that the support is going to be based on profits, isn't that precisely what he's done?

Plus the twist at the end which will remove any tax advantages gained from being self employed.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Whatever help he gives the self employed on 17:40 - Mar 26 with 2927 viewsbluelagos

Whatever help he gives the self employed on 17:34 - Mar 26 by uefacup81

Not seen the news, but yeah, that is quite amusing. One of my mates is a London cabbie, big house, second one is Spain. He told me (Five years ago) his taxable earnings were 15k.

Whatever help he gives the self employed on 17:40 - Mar 26 with 2910 viewsgiant_stow

Whatever help he gives the self employed on 17:39 - Mar 26 by Pinewoodblue

Plus the twist at the end which will remove any tax advantages gained from being self employed.

Wasn't watching - permanently? and which advantages? (I just give this to my accountant like a lame little duck and pay what he tells me to).

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Whatever help he gives the self employed on 17:44 - Mar 26 with 2872 viewsPinewoodblue

Whatever help he gives the self employed on 17:40 - Mar 26 by giant_stow

Wasn't watching - permanently? and which advantages? (I just give this to my accountant like a lame little duck and pay what he tells me to).

national insurance contribution advantages of being self employed sprung to mind.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Whatever help he gives the self employed on 17:48 - Mar 26 with 2841 viewsgiant_stow

Whatever help he gives the self employed on 17:44 - Mar 26 by Pinewoodblue

national insurance contribution advantages of being self employed sprung to mind.

I've no idea what they are - I'm not being challenging - I'm being ignorant!

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Whatever help he gives the self employed on 17:49 - Mar 26 with 2839 viewsJeanManuelThetis

Whatever help he gives the self employed on 17:39 - Mar 26 by Pinewoodblue

This will be all well and good if they provide Self Employed people with the same safety nets as employed people (e.g. sick pay, maternity/ paternity leave etc.). Otherwise it's a very weird threat to make from a government who have spent 10 years encouraging people to leave the PAYE system and be 'entrepreneurs'
Whatever help he gives the self employed on 18:03 - Mar 26 with 2770 viewsLord_Lucan

Whatever help he gives the self employed on 17:40 - Mar 26 by bluelagos

Not seen the news, but yeah, that is quite amusing. One of my mates is a London cabbie, big house, second one is Spain. He told me (Five years ago) his taxable earnings were 15k.

I have a black cabbie friend who used to give away all his diesel receipts to anyone who wanted them because there was no way the amount of diesel he got through equated to what he earn't. Black cabbies must make at the very least £50k pa

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Login to get fewer ads

Whatever help he gives the self employed on 18:05 - Mar 26 with 2754 viewsbluelagos

Whatever help he gives the self employed on 18:03 - Mar 26 by Lord_Lucan

I have a black cabbie friend who used to give away all his diesel receipts to anyone who wanted them because there was no way the amount of diesel he got through equated to what he earn't. Black cabbies must make at the very least £50k pa

That was exactly what I guestimated based on my mate's lifestyle.

Whatever help he gives the self employed on 18:08 - Mar 26 with 2742 viewsLord_Lucan

Whatever help he gives the self employed on 18:05 - Mar 26 by bluelagos

That was exactly what I guestimated based on my mate's lifestyle.

The chancellor could have given the self employed 100% and still add it up on a pocket calculator as the self employed never make a penny.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

Whatever help he gives the self employed on 18:14 - Mar 26 with 2717 viewsfactual_blue

Whatever help he gives the self employed on 18:03 - Mar 26 by Lord_Lucan

I always thought the revenue to the approach with black cabbies that 'you can say what you like, you earn £x.'

Morton's Fork.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Whatever help he gives the self employed on 18:16 - Mar 26 with 2701 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

Whatever help he gives the self employed on 18:08 - Mar 26 by Lord_Lucan

The chancellor could have given the self employed 100% and still add it up on a pocket calculator as the self employed never make a penny.

By my reckoning, i should be entitled to about 57 pence then

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

Whatever help he gives the self employed on 18:36 - Mar 26 with 2598 viewsGuthrum

That's fine by me. Rather that than having to queue for UC.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Whatever help he gives the self employed on 18:38 - Mar 26 with 2587 viewsgiant_stow

Whatever help he gives the self employed on 18:36 - Mar 26 by Guthrum

That's fine by me. Rather that than having to queue for UC.

Can you explain something for me pretty please?

If it's based on profits, is that the same as dividend income?

Without knowing for sure, I think I pay x in paye and then more or less also x in dividends... edit: there's no profits - everything I earn I pay myself (minus the tax, whatever that is)
[Post edited 26 Mar 2020 18:39]

Whatever help he gives the self employed on 18:44 - Mar 26 with 2555 viewsGuthrum

Whatever help he gives the self employed on 18:38 - Mar 26 by giant_stow

Can you explain something for me pretty please?

If it's based on profits, is that the same as dividend income?

Without knowing for sure, I think I pay x in paye and then more or less also x in dividends... edit: there's no profits - everything I earn I pay myself (minus the tax, whatever that is)
[Post edited 26 Mar 2020 18:39]

Dividends aren't necessarily the whole of profits, they may only be a small portion, or the business can decide not to issue any at all. Profits over and above that go back into the company's coffers.

When self-employed, broadly speaking, all profits* are assumed to go into your pocket and taxed accordingly as income.

* There are offsetting schemes and the like to allow you to move money (or losses) to later years in certain cases of irregular income, e.g. authors. Don't fully understand them as never been relevant to my situation.

Whatever help he gives the self employed on 18:46 - Mar 26 with 2540 viewsGuthrum

Whatever help he gives the self employed on 17:44 - Mar 26 by Pinewoodblue

Which ones are they?

Whatever help he gives the self employed on 18:46 - Mar 26 with 2538 viewsgiant_stow

Whatever help he gives the self employed on 18:44 - Mar 26 by Guthrum

Dividends aren't necessarily the whole of profits, they may only be a small portion, or the business can decide not to issue any at all. Profits over and above that go back into the company's coffers.

When self-employed, broadly speaking, all profits* are assumed to go into your pocket and taxed accordingly as income.

* There are offsetting schemes and the like to allow you to move money (or losses) to later years in certain cases of irregular income, e.g. authors. Don't fully understand them as never been relevant to my situation.

Cheers mr, appreciate it. So profits are turnover minus PAYE and other costs?

Whatever help he gives the self employed on 18:49 - Mar 26 with 2514 viewsGuthrum

Whatever help he gives the self employed on 18:46 - Mar 26 by giant_stow

Cheers mr, appreciate it. So profits are turnover minus PAYE and other costs?

Profits are turnover (gross income) minus cost of sales (e.g. materials) and any other allowable expenses (e.g. vehicle depreciation).

Whatever help he gives the self employed on 18:51 - Mar 26 with 2499 viewsgiant_stow

Whatever help he gives the self employed on 18:49 - Mar 26 by Guthrum

Profits are turnover (gross income) minus cost of sales (e.g. materials) and any other allowable expenses (e.g. vehicle depreciation).

So nothing to do with PAYE then.

Sorry to be so dim (I know I should know this!)

Whatever help he gives the self employed on 18:57 - Mar 26 with 2457 viewsGuthrum

Whatever help he gives the self employed on 18:51 - Mar 26 by giant_stow

So nothing to do with PAYE then.

Sorry to be so dim (I know I should know this!)

Employee wages/salaries (via PAYE or any other method - e.g. the Construction Industry Scheme for subcontractors) come under cost of sales. Sorry, should have been clearer.

Whatever help he gives the self employed on 19:02 - Mar 26 with 2443 viewsgiant_stow

Whatever help he gives the self employed on 18:57 - Mar 26 by Guthrum

Employee wages/salaries (via PAYE or any other method - e.g. the Construction Industry Scheme for subcontractors) come under cost of sales. Sorry, should have been clearer.

no worries mr - not your fault you're dealing with an imbicile.

I'm with you now.

Whatever help he gives the self employed on 19:19 - Mar 26 with 2396 viewsgiant_stow

Whatever help he gives the self employed on 19:02 - Mar 26 by giant_stow

no worries mr - not your fault you're dealing with an imbicile.

I'm with you now.

Turns out I left an important detail out - if you're a sole director of a limited company, then this scheme *and* the employed one *probably* doesn't cover you / me.

That's because I'm not technically self-employed (so not covered by today's scheme) and I can't 'furlough' myself as a director (if I'm right, this can't happen as it would mean effectively shutting the company) .

This could ruin many people, but on the bright side, at least the self-employed are getting their comeuppance at last.
[Post edited 26 Mar 2020 19:20]

Whatever help he gives the self employed on 19:31 - Mar 26 with 2346 viewsLord_Lucan

Whatever help he gives the self employed on 19:19 - Mar 26 by giant_stow

Turns out I left an important detail out - if you're a sole director of a limited company, then this scheme *and* the employed one *probably* doesn't cover you / me.

That's because I'm not technically self-employed (so not covered by today's scheme) and I can't 'furlough' myself as a director (if I'm right, this can't happen as it would mean effectively shutting the company) .

This could ruin many people, but on the bright side, at least the self-employed are getting their comeuppance at last.
[Post edited 26 Mar 2020 19:20]

Ah

If you are a director of your own Ltd company then of course you are not self employed.

Are you subject to business rates or do you work from home?

Also, I'm pretty certain that you can furlough yourself.

Whatever help he gives the self employed on 19:37 - Mar 26 with 2323 viewsgiant_stow

Whatever help he gives the self employed on 19:31 - Mar 26 by Lord_Lucan

Ah

If you are a director of your own Ltd company then of course you are not self employed.

Are you subject to business rates or do you work from home?

Also, I'm pretty certain that you can furlough yourself.

I feel self employed! Pretty sure banks think of me as self employed when i apply for a loan?

Work from home or sometimes at the punter's place.

Agree the furlough bit seems grey, but the advice coming out of a freelancer group i belong to seems to be its a no go, as a company without a working director is no longer a live company. so goes the logic of that argument, at least.

Anyway, fck whining about it.
[Post edited 26 Mar 2020 19:40]

Whatever help he gives the self employed on 19:48 - Mar 26 with 2291 viewsOsborneOneNil

Whatever help he gives the self employed on 19:37 - Mar 26 by giant_stow

I feel self employed! Pretty sure banks think of me as self employed when i apply for a loan?

Work from home or sometimes at the punter's place.

Agree the furlough bit seems grey, but the advice coming out of a freelancer group i belong to seems to be its a no go, as a company without a working director is no longer a live company. so goes the logic of that argument, at least.

Anyway, fck whining about it.
[Post edited 26 Mar 2020 19:40]

Yes, mortgage lenders consider company directors as self employed. 90% of them calculate borrowing potential by assessing the salary AND dividend income taken. Only a few use net profit.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024