Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
How can we generate more PPE? 09:46 - Apr 13 with 793 viewspointofblue

Obviously we can discuss the prior issues of stockpiling expense but we are where we are now unfortunately - how can we ensure enough PPE is created and distributed to those who need it, considering I presume all factories involved in manufacture are working flat out. Maybe take Amazon delivery drivers off day-to-day purchases to help delivery to hospitals and social care providers? But if manufacture is the issue how can that be increased?

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

How can we generate more PPE? on 09:51 - Apr 13 with 768 viewsMullet

My colleagues in the tech department at school went in and made some visors etc. using all the plastic and materials we had. This was then donated. Loads of schools have done this, although it seems not to have received any attention really beyond them promoting it on social media.

I think it's been alarming and heart warming in equal measure to see countries like Germany and Turkey helping us and other countries, regardless of the spin some people put on it.

I also saw a Sikh community group posting for their members to dig out old sewing machines and make masks as part of their sewa. So there has been some small scale grassroots stuff. You'd hope that already manufacturers that have repurposed their work to make sanitizer and stuff can be joined by bigger organisations and there has been contact made by the government to get this happening.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

How can we generate more PPE? on 09:54 - Apr 13 with 752 viewsr2d2

Trouble is, the whole world wants this stuff at the same time. The UK is only one country competing for it.
How can we generate more PPE? on 09:56 - Apr 13 with 750 viewslongtimefan

There’s been quite a bit locally regarding people with 3D printers being asked to produce parts for Visors. Also requests for supplies of Acetate sheets.
How can we generate more PPE? on 10:05 - Apr 13 with 740 viewsGuthrum

One of the problems is raw materials, the supply chains upstream from the factories making the various forms of PPE. That is another bottleneck in the system.

Also, the products need to be of a specific standard to be of any use. You can't make masks for clinical use out of any old fabric. They need to fit well and provide sufficient coverage. And to be strong enough to prevent accidental exposure through tears and damage.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

How can we generate more PPE? on 10:09 - Apr 13 with 729 viewsNthsuffolkblue

How can we generate more PPE? on 10:05 - Apr 13 by Guthrum

One of the problems is raw materials, the supply chains upstream from the factories making the various forms of PPE. That is another bottleneck in the system.

Also, the products need to be of a specific standard to be of any use. You can't make masks for clinical use out of any old fabric. They need to fit well and provide sufficient coverage. And to be strong enough to prevent accidental exposure through tears and damage.

This is true. However, if it comes to nothing or substandard, one would assume substandard is preferable to nothing at all. I see nurses are being advised not to treat patients if they do not have PPE. I am sure many will ignore that advice.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

How can we generate more PPE? on 10:13 - Apr 13 with 722 viewsitfcjoe

How can we generate more PPE? on 09:51 - Apr 13 by Mullet

My colleagues in the tech department at school went in and made some visors etc. using all the plastic and materials we had. This was then donated. Loads of schools have done this, although it seems not to have received any attention really beyond them promoting it on social media.

I think it's been alarming and heart warming in equal measure to see countries like Germany and Turkey helping us and other countries, regardless of the spin some people put on it.

I also saw a Sikh community group posting for their members to dig out old sewing machines and make masks as part of their sewa. So there has been some small scale grassroots stuff. You'd hope that already manufacturers that have repurposed their work to make sanitizer and stuff can be joined by bigger organisations and there has been contact made by the government to get this happening.

My mother in law runs a school uniform factory which is furloughed and she is in with the sewers making scrubs for the hospital as volunteers - but they've now run out of material so more can be done

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

How can we generate more PPE? on 10:23 - Apr 13 with 700 viewsGuthrum

How can we generate more PPE? on 10:09 - Apr 13 by Nthsuffolkblue

This is true. However, if it comes to nothing or substandard, one would assume substandard is preferable to nothing at all. I see nurses are being advised not to treat patients if they do not have PPE. I am sure many will ignore that advice.

The problem with substandard equipment is it gives the illusion of safety. Thus causing people to put themselves in a dangerous position, thinking they are protected when they aren't really.

Or, if the unreliability issue is well known, there is the niggling doubt in the back of someone's mind that they can't entirely trust the kit and so may hold back from doing risky tasks (or avoid going into work altogether, rather than chance catching the disease themselves).

How can we generate more PPE? on 10:26 - Apr 13 with 694 viewsNthsuffolkblue

How can we generate more PPE? on 10:23 - Apr 13 by Guthrum

The problem with substandard equipment is it gives the illusion of safety. Thus causing people to put themselves in a dangerous position, thinking they are protected when they aren't really.

Or, if the unreliability issue is well known, there is the niggling doubt in the back of someone's mind that they can't entirely trust the kit and so may hold back from doing risky tasks (or avoid going into work altogether, rather than chance catching the disease themselves).

I see your point and I think that is part of the issue with members of the public wearing it unnecessarily/wrongly. However, if it the trained medical professionals who are choosing to do the procedures regardless I think something is better than nothing.

Of course, the issue is that we should not have been in this position. It will be interesting to see whether we provide adequate stockpiles ready for a future need after this is over. Surely we will won't we? I presume there is a long use by date on PPE.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Login to get fewer ads

How can we generate more PPE? on 10:26 - Apr 13 with 697 viewsBloomBlue

There was a WHO representative on the radio (rude of me but I forget her name) at the weekend and she said it's the raw materials which is the problem there is a world shortage of it and every country is asking for PPE. Plus its imperative the standard of it is at an acceptable level unfortunately some of it is below standard and that's more dangerous than no PPE because you think you're protected when you're not. She also made the point it's critical countries dont lockdown all international transportation, ie we need aircraft to transport materials around the world.
How can we generate more PPE? on 10:34 - Apr 13 with 683 viewsGuthrum

How can we generate more PPE? on 10:26 - Apr 13 by Nthsuffolkblue

I see your point and I think that is part of the issue with members of the public wearing it unnecessarily/wrongly. However, if it the trained medical professionals who are choosing to do the procedures regardless I think something is better than nothing.

Of course, the issue is that we should not have been in this position. It will be interesting to see whether we provide adequate stockpiles ready for a future need after this is over. Surely we will won't we? I presume there is a long use by date on PPE.

The stockpiling issue comes down to cost, storage and how often it will be needed.

The worldwide useage/consumption levels are vastly above normal levels. Most disease outbreaks do not require anything like this quantity of stuff (this is a one in 100+ year event). Someone has to pay for all that kit and find somewhere to put it. All taking funds which would normally go into other areas of care, important drugs and surgical procedures.

Is it reasonable that someone cannot have a necessary hip replacement because they need to further stuff a warehouse full of masks and gloves just in case there is an outbreak of some disease which doesn't even exist yet?

How can we generate more PPE? on 10:35 - Apr 13 with 680 viewsGuthrum

How can we generate more PPE? on 10:26 - Apr 13 by BloomBlue

There was a WHO representative on the radio (rude of me but I forget her name) at the weekend and she said it's the raw materials which is the problem there is a world shortage of it and every country is asking for PPE. Plus its imperative the standard of it is at an acceptable level unfortunately some of it is below standard and that's more dangerous than no PPE because you think you're protected when you're not. She also made the point it's critical countries dont lockdown all international transportation, ie we need aircraft to transport materials around the world.

To be fair, most of the lockdown has been on passenger flights, not goods ones.

How can we generate more PPE? on 10:40 - Apr 13 with 671 viewslongtimefan

How can we generate more PPE? on 10:26 - Apr 13 by Nthsuffolkblue

It would be interesting to know the extent of stockpiles across the world before this started. We know the ‘book’ value of the UK stock (and that was 80% of the value sometime prior) but I’ve seen no detail as to how many days of supply that would equate to at the current rate of usage. Has anyone seen any further details on this?
How can we generate more PPE? on 10:50 - Apr 13 with 658 viewsPinewoodblue

How can we generate more PPE? on 09:54 - Apr 13 by r2d2

Trouble is, the whole world wants this stuff at the same time. The UK is only one country competing for it.

The products may cost more but most things can still be produced in the UK.

Do you remember the scarf the club sold as a tribute to Sir Bobby Robson, they didn’t come from the usual source, they were produced in the UK.

The NHS supply system needs to be willing to adapt.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

How can we generate more PPE? on 11:13 - Apr 13 with 646 viewspointofblue

I agree though I’d argue there’s a difference between material flights and passenger flights.

It’s great to hear about people making equipment at home but do they have the requisite materials at their disposal so they meet the required standard?

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

How can we generate more PPE? on 14:16 - Apr 13 with 546 viewsLord_Lucan

Roger Daltry should stay out of it and stick to his trout farm.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024