Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
How would Ipswich Town FC team of 1981 19:58 - Apr 16 with 1561 viewsPremierBlue

do in todays Premier League?
How would Ipswich Town FC team of 1981 on 20:09 - Apr 16 with 1538 viewsChurchman

Assuming they had today’s diet and training techniques, they’d be devastating in my view.
How would Ipswich Town FC team of 1981 on 20:09 - Apr 16 with 1540 viewsLord_Lucan

One of those questions that is impossible to answer but this old growler who can't see the magic of these current teams thinks that us along with Liverpool and Forest at that era would certainly be in the mix.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

How would Ipswich Town FC team of 1981 on 20:10 - Apr 16 with 1536 viewsSitfcB

They’re a bit old now.

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

How would Ipswich Town FC team of 1981 on 20:17 - Apr 16 with 1511 viewsPremierBlue

How would Ipswich Town FC team of 1981 on 20:10 - Apr 16 by SitfcB

They’re a bit old now.

Yes, but we are ignoring that now and bring them through a time machine, with Sir Bobby coaching as well.
How would Ipswich Town FC team of 1981 on 20:21 - Apr 16 with 1495 viewsMarinerisGod

Would have it won by Xmas.

Being Deadpool for real.
Poll: Best McCarthy

How would Ipswich Town FC team of 1981 on 20:29 - Apr 16 with 1482 viewsArnieM

How would Ipswich Town FC team of 1981 on 20:09 - Apr 16 by Churchman

Assuming they had today’s diet and training techniques, they’d be devastating in my view.

I’m with you on this . That team was light years ahead in the 1980’s , so would easily compete in today’s PL.

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

How would Ipswich Town FC team of 1981 on 20:31 - Apr 16 with 1472 viewsPJH

I would say that the quality of that 1980/81 TEAM was as good as anything about now and better than most but we would need about ten players of very high standard to back up that team and make a SQUAD.

My answer to the original question is that the team would do very well but the squad not quite so well.
How would Ipswich Town FC team of 1981 on 20:37 - Apr 16 with 1449 viewsGuthrum

How would Ipswich Town FC team of 1981 on 20:29 - Apr 16 by ArnieM

I’m with you on this . That team was light years ahead in the 1980’s , so would easily compete in today’s PL.

The only question is whether the physicality of that era would be allowed in the modern Prem.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Login to get fewer ads

How would Ipswich Town FC team of 1981 on 20:42 - Apr 16 with 1440 viewsFtnfwest

How would Ipswich Town FC team of 1981 on 20:31 - Apr 16 by PJH

I would say that the quality of that 1980/81 TEAM was as good as anything about now and better than most but we would need about ten players of very high standard to back up that team and make a SQUAD.

My answer to the original question is that the team would do very well but the squad not quite so well.

Villa had the squad but bizarrely didn’t really need it due to few injuries and used 14 players I seem to remember. Of course playing a third less games helped..
How would Ipswich Town FC team of 1981 on 20:48 - Apr 16 with 1430 viewsPJH

How would Ipswich Town FC team of 1981 on 20:37 - Apr 16 by Guthrum

The only question is whether the physicality of that era would be allowed in the modern Prem.

Apart from Terry Butcher I don't think that that team was especially physical.
They could handle themselves but they were such a skillful team that they just outplayed teams.

Spurs tried to kick lumps out of us at PR towards the end of that season and we just outplayed them and beat them 3-0, admittedly Spurs beat us 5-3 at WHL earlier in the season when they tried to make it a battle.

The 'if it moves kick it' part of English football was starting to die out by 1980/81.
How would Ipswich Town FC team of 1981 on 21:03 - Apr 16 with 1394 viewsPremierBlue

If duly prepared and given some time to get accustomed to modern football, including the new type of ball itself, I think they would get a result at Anfield.

Say 3-3 at Anfield in a lively and entertaining game, with John Wark showing his fantastic ability to find the net and scoring twice, leaving Alisson Becker scratching his head. This in addition to a fantastic breakthrough goal from Alan Brazil, seeing the away fans go crazy. Yes, an important point and what a game!

Later, the 30,000 strong and lively crowd at Portman Road would give us the edge and three decisive points from a 1-0 victory generated by Arnold Muhren and a late Paul Mariner header over and above Virgil van Dijk. All the blues players would come together in a heap, including Paul Cooper who flies across the field to congratulate his teammates in a sea of blue.

And the rest is history! Indeed the team has an identity with excellent players in every position, and they know what it takes to win games. Well done Sir Bobby, congratulations to the Premier League title! We know its true, let the celebrations begin...
How would Ipswich Town FC team of 1981 on 21:15 - Apr 16 with 1361 viewsThe_Last_Baron

If we could have a squad of 20 players of the quality (or close to) the first 11 plus McCall, Beattie etc, we could win it. I believe Town 81 is a better side than Liverpool of today. Man for man Mariner, Thijssen, Muhren, Wark, Burley, Mills and Butcher would get in the current Liverpool team.

Poll: Would you support a permanent return to the old yellow Town badge?

How would Ipswich Town FC team of 1981 on 21:16 - Apr 16 with 1353 viewsmonytowbray

Considering football is f*cked and anyone outside the top 10 in the country will need to sign Sunday League players to compete after this, the days of an '81 side who love a half time pint and fag could be back soon!

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

How would Ipswich Town FC team of 1981 on 21:22 - Apr 16 with 1341 viewsPremierBlue

How would Ipswich Town FC team of 1981 on 20:31 - Apr 16 by PJH

Yes, agreed. From the ten last league games in '81 we unfortunately played: W3 D0 L7, having lost only two games all season till then.

But maybe we can get away with it if we let the cups slip (which we are currently in the habit of doing anyway) and only focus on the Prem one particular season.
How would Ipswich Town FC team of 1981 on 21:42 - Apr 16 with 1309 viewsfactual_blue

Alan Hansen covered this when comparing his Liverpool team at their peak with any of the top sides of today (well, of 3-4 years ago, before he retired). 'We'd match them for about an hour, then they'd crucify us.'

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

How would Ipswich Town FC team of 1981 on 09:59 - Apr 17 with 1098 viewsRadlett_blue

How would Ipswich Town FC team of 1981 on 21:42 - Apr 16 by factual_blue

Alan Hansen covered this when comparing his Liverpool team at their peak with any of the top sides of today (well, of 3-4 years ago, before he retired). 'We'd match them for about an hour, then they'd crucify us.'

I think that's more down to better modern training methods, recovery, physio etc. Most talented players would be able to adapt to the modern era with better training, while the pitches would be far better, helping the more skilful sides/ The one issue would be pace, which is far more important in the modern game.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024