Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Space is mental isn't it? 21:01 - May 7 with 4268 viewsBrixtonBlue

The nearest star, other than our sun, is 4 light years away. So even if we could travel at the speed of light, which we can't yet, it would take 4 years to get there.

That's the NEAREST star (well, second nearest).

The furthest star, that we can see (sort of... we're aware of, due to fluctuations in light) is 9 BILLION LIGHT YEARS AWAY.

And that's just what is observable with current technology. There's obviously way more than that.

Our brains can't comprehend how big space is... even the observable space, let alone what we can't see.

It's crazy how tiny we are, with all our petty squabbles, football teams, wars, pandemics. If feels weird to say all this has no meaning, it just exists, it just is. But then what meaning does most of space have for us anyway, when it's too far away to interact with? And what meaning do humans have, any more than the last ant you saw, in the whole of space?

All we can truly say is there's something bloody weird going on.

I may have lockdown fever.
I may have had some wine.
[Post edited 8 May 2020 2:15]

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Space is mental isn't it? on 09:21 - May 9 with 342 viewssparks

Space is mental isn't it? on 12:57 - May 8 by Bugs

There is also the very plausible possibility we live in a single universe out of an infinite multiverse.

If you put many worlds theory in there as well, our universe(as well as all the others) could well be splitting off down different paths billions of times a second. When Schrodinger opened his box with the cat in in it, in one reality the cat was dead, but in another it was alive. Both could well be real. Something Deeply Hidden: Quantum Worlds and the Emergence of Spacetime by Sean Carroll talks about this. I won't pretend I got it all, but it's a fascinating read.

I dont think we can say thats a possibility let alone a plausible one. Its a hypothesis- btu we haev no idea currently whether its possible. At best, I think we can say we dont know it to be impossible.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Space is mental isn't it? on 09:31 - May 9 with 341 viewsBlueastheycome

Space is mental isn't it? on 22:37 - May 7 by factual_blue

But if you're at Uluru, you're nearer the ISS than you are to the nearest McDonalds.

Blimey. I didn’t realise they had a terrorism problem in Australia
Space is mental isn't it? on 09:54 - May 9 with 326 viewsBlueastheycome

And what is also equally amazing is that our knowledge and understanding of space is relatively new in terms of our human existence on this planet and is perpetuated by a few hundred years (human years) of modern technology. We probably know about 0.00000000000001% (if that) about it. Mad!
Space is mental isn't it? on 10:09 - May 9 with 316 viewsSwansea_Blue

"9 billion light years away". That's how most Greater Anglia journeys feel.

Fascinating stuff although I'm fairly ignorant. I've half thought a few times about getting a telescope to see if I can get the kids interested.
[Post edited 9 May 2020 10:10]

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Space is mental isn't it? on 10:15 - May 9 with 314 viewssparks

Space is mental isn't it? on 10:09 - May 9 by Swansea_Blue

"9 billion light years away". That's how most Greater Anglia journeys feel.

Fascinating stuff although I'm fairly ignorant. I've half thought a few times about getting a telescope to see if I can get the kids interested.
[Post edited 9 May 2020 10:10]

Whilst telescopes are interesting- the reality is that once you have seen the moon- its really mainly blurry dots in the sky without something pretty expensive.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)

Space is mental isn't it? on 10:57 - May 9 with 310 viewsBrixtonBlue

Space is mental isn't it? on 10:15 - May 9 by sparks

Whilst telescopes are interesting- the reality is that once you have seen the moon- its really mainly blurry dots in the sky without something pretty expensive.

You can see Saturn's rings and moons with a not-too-expensive telescope.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Space is mental isn't it? on 10:58 - May 9 with 307 viewssparks

Space is mental isn't it? on 10:57 - May 9 by BrixtonBlue

You can see Saturn's rings and moons with a not-too-expensive telescope.

They are still blurry smudges though- and once you ahve seen it once- that is done.

I suspect most kids will say "cool" for 10 minutes, but that will be the end!

Space is mental isn't it? on 11:08 - May 9 with 300 viewsKievthegreat

Space is mental isn't it? on 21:55 - May 7 by StokieBlue

It's the time that's dilated not the distance but I think that's what you meant anyway.

It's important to emphasise that the time taken is relative to the observer.

For people on the spaceship 1.4 years has passed but for the person watching from Earth 100 years has still passed.

SB
[Post edited 7 May 2020 22:10]

Which is what Brian May is into when he writes Queen songs

Login to get fewer ads

Space is mental isn't it? on 11:21 - May 9 with 288 viewsStokieBlue

Space is mental isn't it? on 10:58 - May 9 by sparks

They are still blurry smudges though- and once you ahve seen it once- that is done.

I suspect most kids will say "cool" for 10 minutes, but that will be the end!

I never tire of watching Jupiter's moons change positions.

Perhaps I am just odd though and also not a kid.

In general you are right though, need to spend decent money to make viewing a truly rewarding experience along with having the right conditions. Unfortunately I've not met either of those criteria.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Space is mental isn't it? on 11:31 - May 9 with 284 viewsdickie

Space is mental isn't it? on 23:41 - May 7 by jeera

God made us with limitations mate.

Sorry.

Haha! Good one!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024