Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
EFL Statement; Sunderand till I die; Marcus Evans decisions and structure 14:17 - May 21 with 1379 viewsunstableblue

https://www.efl.com/news/2020/may/efl-statement-coronavirus-update2/

So Town are staying in League One come what may, that is a massive failing for Lambert and Evans, and yet another proof point of the failed structures and strategies from Evans.

I've been finally watching Sunderland Till I Die on Netflix, with somewhat of a heavy heart given they took the 'slot' from our own production in a multi-club format.

Despite a slow start and taking a while to reach the right messaging, themes, characters and production style - its a good show offering first time insights into football as an industry. The 'jeopardy' moments (which commissioning editors adore) come thick and fast as Sunderland implode.

From a Town perspective this documentary highlights a number of things:
1. Importance of chief exec role and a footballing structure to ensure continuity beyond managers - I met Clegg through the above, and my impression was of someone out of his comfort zone and ceding too much responsibility to the manager(s)
2. A successful manager needs 3 attributes (as referenced by a Black Cats fan and across the story) - a) People person, individual man management; b) Team motivator; c) Technically astute to improve players capability, define systems and formations to get the best from his pool of players*
3. The owner has to effectively fund the squad, and work out contractual arrangements where wages reflect relegation constraints
4. Relegation has a devastating effect on the back room staff and local community

*Note: a technical assistant coach or background staff may be effective to support this manager in this area, as well as the club's footballing structure (e.g. Technical/Footballing director)

For me Marcus has failed again and again on points 1-3. And now Lambert is the latest mis-selection. He is clearly not technical enough, he did improve elements of our passing (which had hit rock bottom) but the team has not been set-up to play effectively, and often not motivated to win.

Lambert must go or the structure around him significantly changed - O'Neill is a nothing role, we seemingly have no chief exec which is a full time role at any level.

Mick was the closest we have got to an effective appointment and was really strong on people management and team motivation (as brilliantly referenced in the programme by the troubled Jonny WIlliams). But ultimately he was not funded and crucially was not the progressive technical manager to really build a platform for success, especially with weak Chief Execs and no technical structure.

But if Marcus throws the dice one more time - can trust him? can he get the Oxford manager or the Coventry manager... finally get the appointment right? and provide the funding within the given constraints.

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

EFL Statement; Sunderand till I die; Marcus Evans decisions and structure on 14:29 - May 21 with 1330 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

I've said many times that we have very little infrastructure within the club.

If you listen to the Jim Magilton interviews, the board was strong and the support structure was in place for the manager.

Now we just have Lee Oneill and Lambert trying to run the whole club.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

EFL Statement; Sunderand till I die; Marcus Evans decisions and structure on 14:42 - May 21 with 1280 viewsunstableblue

EFL Statement; Sunderand till I die; Marcus Evans decisions and structure on 14:29 - May 21 by Marshalls_Mullet

If you listen to the Jim Magilton interviews, the board was strong and the support structure was in place for the manager.

I think Evans thinks he can part time the Chief Exec role... perhaps easier in League One with less backroom staff.. but clearly not possible

And of course Lambert needs a technical coach or director supporting him, where ONeill I do not believe is directly influencing the first team set-up

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

EFL Statement; Sunderand till I die; Marcus Evans decisions and structure on 14:43 - May 21 with 1280 viewsBlueBadger

I've said it before and I'll say it again. The problem with Evan's managers aren't that they're not 'technical', it's that they're, with one exception, sh1t.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

EFL Statement; Sunderand till I die; Marcus Evans decisions and structure on 14:55 - May 21 with 1245 viewsRegencyBlue

Evans has completely failed as far as ITFC are concerned. The evidence is there for all to see, our lowest League position for 60 odd years and a club going nowhere fast, even before the virus hit.

For some reason though we are not allowed to say that on here. Instead we have to thank our lucky stars that Marcus keeps us limping along in relentless decline and he can’t possibly be expected to sell up, even if he did a new owner would not be any better!

Do I trust him to get it right in the future? Given I just cancelled my season tickets after more than forty years and will not come back until he is gone, I’d say no!
EFL Statement; Sunderand till I die; Marcus Evans decisions and structure on 15:18 - May 21 with 1197 viewsSwansea_Blue

EFL Statement; Sunderand till I die; Marcus Evans decisions and structure on 14:43 - May 21 by BlueBadger

I've said it before and I'll say it again. The problem with Evan's managers aren't that they're not 'technical', it's that they're, with one exception, sh1t.

Football's better though

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

EFL Statement; Sunderand till I die; Marcus Evans decisions and structure on 15:19 - May 21 with 1191 viewsBlueBadger

EFL Statement; Sunderand till I die; Marcus Evans decisions and structure on 15:18 - May 21 by Swansea_Blue

Football's better though

Plus, we've gotten Brexit done now.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

EFL Statement; Sunderand till I die; Marcus Evans decisions and structure on 15:29 - May 21 with 1162 viewstractorboy1978

EFL Statement; Sunderand till I die; Marcus Evans decisions and structure on 14:43 - May 21 by BlueBadger

I don't disagree in their time at ITFC but between Hurst, Jewell and Keane you have 6 promotions, a League Cup final, a play off final and a Leasing.com trophy final. Make of that what you will.
EFL Statement; Sunderand till I die; Marcus Evans decisions and structure on 15:38 - May 21 with 1116 viewstextbackup

EFL Statement; Sunderand till I die; Marcus Evans decisions and structure on 14:29 - May 21 by Marshalls_Mullet

LON is massively out of his depth in that role.

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024