Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
MPs being effectively being prevented from voting 18:53 - Jun 2 with 1384 viewsTrequartista

Absolutely outrageous. Why is this not on the BBC front page, yet "Tiger King zoo handed to rival Carole Baskin" makes it on there?

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

MPs being effectively being prevented from voting on 18:54 - Jun 2 with 1369 viewsSpruceMoose

Can us ex-pats get a link at least?

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

MPs being effectively being prevented from voting on 18:55 - Jun 2 with 1362 viewsHerbivore

The BBC is cowed by the government, it's pretty obvious.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

MPs being effectively being prevented from voting on 18:57 - Jun 2 with 1347 viewsSpruceMoose

MPs being effectively being prevented from voting on 18:55 - Jun 2 by Herbivore

But I thought it was the propaganda wing of the LeftieBumFest?!

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

MPs being effectively being prevented from voting on 18:59 - Jun 2 with 1348 viewsTrequartista

MPs being effectively being prevented from voting on 18:55 - Jun 2 by Herbivore

It's a very schizophrenic organisation at the moment in my view, it's heart is left-leaning but some sections are, as you infer, terrified about the licence fee being removed by the government.

I don't think this story is high up on many news agendas though to be fair.
[Post edited 2 Jun 2020 18:59]

MPs being effectively being prevented from voting on 19:02 - Jun 2 with 1332 viewsNthQldITFC

MPs being effectively being prevented from voting on 18:57 - Jun 2 by SpruceMoose

But I thought it was the propaganda wing of the LeftieBumFest?!

Seems to depend largely on your point of view, so far as I can see, which isn't very far. It's kind of everybody's monster, in a frightfully nice way. And it's general standard of journalism is far more sloppy than it used to was. Constant confusion between the words 'of' and 'with' as a pertinent, contemporary example.
[Post edited 2 Jun 2020 19:04]

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

MPs being effectively being prevented from voting on 19:15 - Jun 2 with 1289 viewspointofblue

Because the pairing system should mean that every MP who is unable to vote absent should see a MP who would have voted the other way step aside to balance it out. The pairing system has been around for decades though it’s most well known ‘failure’ is from 1979 where the Labour Chief Whip failed to force the Conservative Chief Whip to pair up with an absent Labour MP, Sir Alfred Broughton. The result was a vote of no confidence in Her Majesty’s Government by just one ‘aye’ and a general election.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

MPs being effectively being prevented from voting on 19:48 - Jun 2 with 1235 viewsTrequartista

MPs being effectively being prevented from voting on 19:15 - Jun 2 by pointofblue

Because the pairing system should mean that every MP who is unable to vote absent should see a MP who would have voted the other way step aside to balance it out. The pairing system has been around for decades though it’s most well known ‘failure’ is from 1979 where the Labour Chief Whip failed to force the Conservative Chief Whip to pair up with an absent Labour MP, Sir Alfred Broughton. The result was a vote of no confidence in Her Majesty’s Government by just one ‘aye’ and a general election.

There are quite a number though that will not be able to make it now because of the shielding rules, dozens i think, whereas i thought pairing is just for the odd one or two.

MPs being effectively being prevented from voting on 20:54 - Jun 2 with 1150 viewsfactual_blue

I understand that this is a sensitive issue, and I want to assure you that I continue to put all of my efforts as Health Secretary, and as your MP, into stopping the devastating effects of coronavirus so that we can get life back to normal as soon as possible.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Login to get fewer ads

MPs being effectively being prevented from voting on 21:06 - Jun 2 with 1126 viewsClapham_Junction

MPs being effectively being prevented from voting on 19:15 - Jun 2 by pointofblue

Unfortunately during the last parliament, the chief whip of the Conservatives ordered their MPs to break the pairing arrangements on borderline votes to try and win them. I would be surprised if any opposition party has any trust in them now.
MPs being effectively being prevented from voting on 21:20 - Jun 2 with 1088 viewsDarth_Koont

MPs being effectively being prevented from voting on 18:59 - Jun 2 by Trequartista

It's a very schizophrenic organisation at the moment in my view, it's heart is left-leaning but some sections are, as you infer, terrified about the licence fee being removed by the government.

I don't think this story is high up on many news agendas though to be fair.
[Post edited 2 Jun 2020 18:59]

"Its heart is left-leaning"

Hmmm. Last century I think they were much more centre. Perhaps with a leftish tinge as that's where most proper factual journalists have always been.

But since then Blair passed them moving right. They're pretty much centre-right now, which is either a fairer representation of the audience's leanings or because that's where the government funding comes from. Probably a bit of both.
[Post edited 2 Jun 2020 21:21]

Pronouns: He/Him

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024