Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Institutional ageism seems to be OK 11:20 - Jun 7 with 1393 viewsElephantintheRoom

Whilst in no way denigrating the herd wanting to be seen to be protesting about institutional racism in the USA and the 9 people killed so far this year in police custody (according to a deranged rant by ex-NY mayor Rudy Giuliani).... it seems a little odd that none of these concerned UK citizens seem overly bothered by the unnecessary deaths of tens of thousands of old people needlessly dying in the UK in the last three months

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Institutional ageism seems to be OK on 11:31 - Jun 7 with 1348 viewsWeWereZombies

Well, apart from the many British Caribbeans who staff our care homes on low wages...

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Institutional ageism seems to be OK on 11:33 - Jun 7 with 1332 viewsDarth_Koont

I think we have been exceptionally conscious of old people dying. The general public and governments of countries including the UK have made massive and costly changes to reduce that risk (some more successfully than others). On balance that's about right but let's get some perspective.

Structural racism on the other hand affects more people around the world and with a greater health and fatality risk (years of life lost). Overall, it's still a bigger problem, just that we accept it.

See also poverty, war, clean water, "tropical" diseases, environmental damage, education, slavery, gender discrimination, religious persecution, economic inequality, democratic abuses etc.

It's hard to escape the conclusion that Covid-19 is a big thing because it affects old, white men. When in reality, it's barely in the Top 10 and probably temporarily too.

Pronouns: He/Him

Institutional ageism seems to be OK on 11:53 - Jun 7 with 1287 viewsfactual_blue

It's certainly tolerated on here.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Institutional ageism seems to be OK on 12:42 - Jun 7 with 1237 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Institutional ageism seems to be OK on 11:33 - Jun 7 by Darth_Koont

I think we have been exceptionally conscious of old people dying. The general public and governments of countries including the UK have made massive and costly changes to reduce that risk (some more successfully than others). On balance that's about right but let's get some perspective.

Structural racism on the other hand affects more people around the world and with a greater health and fatality risk (years of life lost). Overall, it's still a bigger problem, just that we accept it.

See also poverty, war, clean water, "tropical" diseases, environmental damage, education, slavery, gender discrimination, religious persecution, economic inequality, democratic abuses etc.

It's hard to escape the conclusion that Covid-19 is a big thing because it affects old, white men. When in reality, it's barely in the Top 10 and probably temporarily too.

"Covid 19 is a big thing because it affects old white men"

...OK.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Institutional ageism seems to be OK on 12:49 - Jun 7 with 1225 viewsDarth_Koont

Institutional ageism seems to be OK on 12:42 - Jun 7 by Marshalls_Mullet

"Covid 19 is a big thing because it affects old white men"

...OK.

I thought it was clear what I meant from the context.

Or do you think I don't know who is affected by Covid-19 including those who are affected most?

Pronouns: He/Him

Institutional ageism seems to be OK on 12:50 - Jun 7 with 1215 viewsfooters

Cram it, wrinkly.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Institutional ageism seems to be OK on 15:07 - Jun 7 with 1125 viewsWeWereZombies

Institutional ageism seems to be OK on 12:50 - Jun 7 by footers

Cram it, wrinkly.

I don't even know what you are doing in thread...Pet Shop Boy.

Institutional ageism seems to be OK on 15:20 - Jun 7 with 1111 viewsEwan_Oozami

That is deflection of the best order, well done!

If the unnecessary deaths of thousands of elderly hadn't been all over the news this past few months and journalists weren't asking the Govt to justify their actions, then you might have a point..
[Post edited 7 Jun 2020 15:22]

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

Login to get fewer ads

Institutional ageism seems to be OK on 16:22 - Jun 7 with 1054 viewsElephantintheRoom

Institutional ageism seems to be OK on 15:20 - Jun 7 by Ewan_Oozami

That is deflection of the best order, well done!

If the unnecessary deaths of thousands of elderly hadn't been all over the news this past few months and journalists weren't asking the Govt to justify their actions, then you might have a point..
[Post edited 7 Jun 2020 15:22]

Erm - I haven't seen anyone demonstrating in the streets about tens of thousands of old people being deliberately culled by government policy, nor hundreds of thousands of old people being denied NHS care over the last decade despite suffering from dementia... no longer a disease but a social care problem because of callous government policy.

Ageism is OK irrespective of the colour of their skin

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Institutional ageism seems to be OK on 18:00 - Jun 7 with 998 viewsEwan_Oozami

Institutional ageism seems to be OK on 16:22 - Jun 7 by ElephantintheRoom

Erm - I haven't seen anyone demonstrating in the streets about tens of thousands of old people being deliberately culled by government policy, nor hundreds of thousands of old people being denied NHS care over the last decade despite suffering from dementia... no longer a disease but a social care problem because of callous government policy.

Ageism is OK irrespective of the colour of their skin

I guess we could have voted in Labour government at the last GE but many people decided not to for some reason.

I think any general protest against the Tories and austerity that has occurred in the past few years will automatically include the abysmal treatment of elderly and disabled people, it's just that it's not brought out as a separate issue.

And i agree that ageism is rife in this country, part of that is down to the fact that there're still probably 2 generations of people around who haven't been brought up to use modern tech and the internet who find it difficult just to get stuff done...

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

Institutional ageism seems to be OK on 19:35 - Jun 7 with 933 viewsWeWereZombies

Institutional ageism seems to be OK on 18:00 - Jun 7 by Ewan_Oozami

I guess we could have voted in Labour government at the last GE but many people decided not to for some reason.

I think any general protest against the Tories and austerity that has occurred in the past few years will automatically include the abysmal treatment of elderly and disabled people, it's just that it's not brought out as a separate issue.

And i agree that ageism is rife in this country, part of that is down to the fact that there're still probably 2 generations of people around who haven't been brought up to use modern tech and the internet who find it difficult just to get stuff done...

[Post edited 7 Jun 2020 19:37]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024