Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Coventry 08:56 - Jun 12 with 2819 viewsJohnny_Boy

Been listening to a few ‘end of COVID season’ podcasts & it’s easy to overlook just how incredible a season Coventry had.

Cited as pre-season relegation candidates, they had to work with a budget far smaller than ours, a pool of players half of what we had, bags of off field nonsense & all whilst not even having an advantage playing at “Home”.

Even Mark Robins, regardless of his past ties, is a pretty bang average manager to say the least.

Whatever your opinions on Lambert, or if he deserves to stay or must leave - Coventry’s much deserved success this campaign has highlighted all his failings - and also the freak show at Sunderland.
[Post edited 12 Jun 2020 8:58]
Coventry on 09:29 - Jun 12 with 2716 viewsGuthrum

Indeed. Coventry have played an absolute blinder this season. Only lost three L1 matches and really hit their stride at the right time (11 wins from 14 League games since 21st December).

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Coventry on 09:35 - Jun 12 with 2693 viewsHerbivore

Agree on the whole but I don't remember them being considered relegation candidates. They finished 8th the season before and, on the pitch at least, seemed to be going in the right direction. No doubt they've had a cracking season though. Solid foundations, use the ball well, everyone knows their role. Just goes to show where getting the basics right can get you.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Coventry on 09:39 - Jun 12 with 2680 viewsartsbossbeard

I just like how technical and progressive they are.

Or something.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

Coventry on 09:51 - Jun 12 with 2653 viewsChrisd

That's a little unfair, classifying Mark Robins as a bang average manager. If you look at his record, he's done on the whole a pretty good job wherever he's gone but he's never had the opportunity at the very highest level, his teams are normally in a battle for survival. If you have a look at what he had achieved at Rotherham, Barnsley and Huddersfield they were all in perilous positions, then to get them out of certain relegation isn't job of a bang average manager. His two spells at Coventry have been very successful too. For what he's been asked to achieve and the resources he's had to work with, I'd say he's been successful in his managerial career and is very underrated. Would I have him here at PR? Without doubt.
[Post edited 12 Jun 2020 12:15]

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Coventry on 09:57 - Jun 12 with 2612 viewsJohnny_Boy

Coventry on 09:35 - Jun 12 by Herbivore

Agree on the whole but I don't remember them being considered relegation candidates. They finished 8th the season before and, on the pitch at least, seemed to be going in the right direction. No doubt they've had a cracking season though. Solid foundations, use the ball well, everyone knows their role. Just goes to show where getting the basics right can get you.

I think the pundits were solely looking at the struggles they’d have by not playing at Home.
Totally unfounded. But surely an anomaly in the bigger picture.

In January they also switched to 3 at the back, I think purely because of injuries, but they had a plethora of CMs, which they had to utilise.
Coventry on 09:59 - Jun 12 with 2611 viewsJohnny_Boy

Coventry on 09:51 - Jun 12 by Chrisd

That's a little unfair, classifying Mark Robins as a bang average manager. If you look at his record, he's done on the whole a pretty good job wherever he's gone but he's never had the opportunity at the very highest level, his teams are normally in a battle for survival. If you have a look at what he had achieved at Rotherham, Barnsley and Huddersfield they were all in perilous positions, then to get them out of certain relegation isn't job of a bang average manager. His two spells at Coventry have been very successful too. For what he's been asked to achieve and the resources he's had to work with, I'd say he's been successful in his managerial career and is very underrated. Would I have him here at PR? Without doubt.
[Post edited 12 Jun 2020 12:15]

I see where you’re coming from. I guess it all depends how you define successful really.
Nigel Clough is a success to some - but a nearly man to others.
[Post edited 12 Jun 2020 10:02]
Coventry on 10:08 - Jun 12 with 2563 viewsBlueBadger

If anything, this throws into sharp relief how poorly Lambert has performed over the last 18 months. He had a big squad on a high-for-the-division budget, owner who was happy to let him get on with it and supportive-nay-delsional supporters and blew it spectacularly.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Coventry on 10:09 - Jun 12 with 2548 viewsBlueBadger

Coventry on 09:39 - Jun 12 by artsbossbeard

I just like how technical and progressive they are.

Or something.

A good one to chuck at people who w*ank on about 'technical' football is to remind them that Sam Allardyce, with his reliance on Opta stats, etc, etc is a 'technical' football manager.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

Login to get fewer ads

Coventry on 10:45 - Jun 12 with 2480 viewsChrisd

Coventry on 09:59 - Jun 12 by Johnny_Boy

I see where you’re coming from. I guess it all depends how you define successful really.
Nigel Clough is a success to some - but a nearly man to others.
[Post edited 12 Jun 2020 10:02]

Very true Johnny Boy. In Robins case, he always seems to be appointed in positions where he is up against it or the clubs don't have the resources to get to that next level, but invariably he gets the job done in regards to what has been asked of him. I'd like to see what he could achieve at clubs like Leeds United , WBA or Forest where they have the aspirations to get back to the big time. Could he deliver then?
[Post edited 12 Jun 2020 15:12]

Coventry on 10:49 - Jun 12 with 2468 viewsChrisd

Coventry on 10:08 - Jun 12 by BlueBadger

If anything, this throws into sharp relief how poorly Lambert has performed over the last 18 months. He had a big squad on a high-for-the-division budget, owner who was happy to let him get on with it and supportive-nay-delsional supporters and blew it spectacularly.

High budget doesn't always = quality. More to the point, look at our owner giving our current manager a 5 year contract and the timing of it. So, very sceptical really.
[Post edited 12 Jun 2020 10:50]

Coventry on 10:59 - Jun 12 with 2423 viewsLibero

Coventry on 10:09 - Jun 12 by BlueBadger

A good one to chuck at people who w*ank on about 'technical' football is to remind them that Sam Allardyce, with his reliance on Opta stats, etc, etc is a 'technical' football manager.

I find Sam Allardyce as repugnant as the next Ipswich Town supporter but I must say that the snippet of him talking at either Oxford or Cambridge about how he came across the use of data and sports science in football was very interesting.

Essentially he was heavily influenced by NFL players when he was playing over in the states, took visits to their training grounds and spoke to people then tried to implement similar stuff back in the UK.
Coventry on 11:00 - Jun 12 with 2424 viewsandytown

What’s interesting to me is that in the first half of the league game at St Andrews, we could have been a lot more than 1 up at half time. Missed chances and several of them good ones if I remember correctly. Then 2nd half Robins changed things up and the game ended 1-1.
Come the FA Cup replay 3 days later it seemed like they had worked out how to play against us...
Coventry on 15:06 - Jun 12 with 2248 viewsEvo1883

Afternoon hope you don't mind me replying to this, I'm a Coventry fan and wanted to give you an idea of what Robins and Viveash have achieved together.

When Robins came back we were a club who had continued to recruit has beens and had no scouting network in place, one of the first things Robins did was put one in place.
He also started to use our academy more and recruited mostly players under the age of 25 barring the odd 3 or 4 over the 3 years, this is because he wanted to be able to develop them and then the club had value within the squad, something we hadn't had for years.
We looked at young players who maybe hadn't been given a fair chance at their respective academies or clubs, Dominic hyam zain westbrooke and fankaty dabo immediately spring to mind, Younger players want to play for their shirt, they give 110% as they want to progress their careers, we don't have any big time Charlies.
Adi Viveash is our number 2 who used to manage Chelsea u23s and has played a pivitol role in our system 3421 which we adopted after injuries hit the squad, and he's also helped develop Mark into a very good manager at this level...
We've installed a philosophy throughout the club and we play the same from our youth sides all the way up to the first team, we like to play football and its drilled into the players from a young age now.
Personally I've never liked lambert, a strange arrogance about him considering he's failed repeatedly in the last few years.. And think Ipswich would benefit from a young manager with a real vision who wants to try something new .

I wish you all the best next season and I'm just hoping we can stay up and maybe you could join us... PUSB
Coventry on 15:13 - Jun 12 with 2226 viewsEvo1883

Coventry on 15:06 - Jun 12 by Evo1883

Afternoon hope you don't mind me replying to this, I'm a Coventry fan and wanted to give you an idea of what Robins and Viveash have achieved together.

When Robins came back we were a club who had continued to recruit has beens and had no scouting network in place, one of the first things Robins did was put one in place.
He also started to use our academy more and recruited mostly players under the age of 25 barring the odd 3 or 4 over the 3 years, this is because he wanted to be able to develop them and then the club had value within the squad, something we hadn't had for years.
We looked at young players who maybe hadn't been given a fair chance at their respective academies or clubs, Dominic hyam zain westbrooke and fankaty dabo immediately spring to mind, Younger players want to play for their shirt, they give 110% as they want to progress their careers, we don't have any big time Charlies.
Adi Viveash is our number 2 who used to manage Chelsea u23s and has played a pivitol role in our system 3421 which we adopted after injuries hit the squad, and he's also helped develop Mark into a very good manager at this level...
We've installed a philosophy throughout the club and we play the same from our youth sides all the way up to the first team, we like to play football and its drilled into the players from a young age now.
Personally I've never liked lambert, a strange arrogance about him considering he's failed repeatedly in the last few years.. And think Ipswich would benefit from a young manager with a real vision who wants to try something new .

I wish you all the best next season and I'm just hoping we can stay up and maybe you could join us... PUSB

To add this is Robins 3rd trophy in 3 years with us.. Che katrade trophy, league 2 playoff winners and league 1 champions, its been a remarkable 3 years and many supporters are Comparing him to Jimmy Hill in the 60s... Anyways I'm rambling, all the best... BTW I really enjoyed my first visit to Portman Road this season, great family facilities and a great old club PUSB
Coventry on 16:24 - Jun 12 with 2158 viewsbackwaywhen

Coventry on 15:13 - Jun 12 by Evo1883

To add this is Robins 3rd trophy in 3 years with us.. Che katrade trophy, league 2 playoff winners and league 1 champions, its been a remarkable 3 years and many supporters are Comparing him to Jimmy Hill in the 60s... Anyways I'm rambling, all the best... BTW I really enjoyed my first visit to Portman Road this season, great family facilities and a great old club PUSB

Thanks for great insight and well done to Coventry and Mark Robbins , couple things , can we pinch him off you ...... PLEASE , and PUSB ? Explain .
Ps best of luck next season .
Coventry on 17:46 - Jun 12 with 2105 viewsBlueBadger

Coventry on 15:13 - Jun 12 by Evo1883

I like you a lot more than that weird Portsmouth supporter.

Coventry on 18:49 - Jun 12 with 2038 viewsAlexGreen

Coventry on 17:46 - Jun 12 by BlueBadger

I like you a lot more than that weird Portsmouth supporter.

His account isn't active any longer. I'm sure he won't be gone for long though, unless Phil did the decent thing and banned him?

Poll: Who from our injured list will play the most games in 20/21

Coventry on 11:40 - Jun 13 with 1788 viewsBtreeBlueBlood

Coventry on 09:29 - Jun 12 by Guthrum

Indeed. Coventry have played an absolute blinder this season. Only lost three L1 matches and really hit their stride at the right time (11 wins from 14 League games since 21st December).

Looking back - I feel the FA cup and the League games away we had the chances to beat them comfortably and let them come back with equaliser S.
The FA cup helped them with momentum- they gelled together as if everyone was against them!

I must congratulate them on their achievement!
Coventry on 12:17 - Jun 13 with 1738 viewsnodge_blue

I thought they looked a very average side when we played them in the league at home. Lucky to get a win. Probably says how poor we've been as well. But I think they are some way off being a championship side.

Poll: best attacking central midfielder?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024