Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Golf 09:20 - Jun 24 with 5217 viewshomer_123

A good walk ruined or a challenging and sometimes rewarding outdoor pastime.

Anyone else have a love/hate relationship with said game?

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Golf on 13:33 - Jun 25 with 512 viewsHerbivore

Golf on 13:30 - Jun 25 by Terry_Nutkins

Pro golfers decline after age 40. very low % win. It is a fact this is to do with physical attributes declining thus basically disproving your argument immediately. That is why a senior tour exists.

Again...if you missed it there are plenty of sports with athletes competing pro into their 40s. Studies actually showed triathletes times improving in their 40s. Again a mockery of your argument.

You won't admit you are wrong though....

Why would I admit I'm wrong when I don't think I'm wrong? And I thought we'd agreed to disagree, but you keep on biting.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Golf on 13:34 - Jun 25 with 509 viewsEnigma_Blue

Golf on 13:11 - Jun 25 by Ryorry

I'm a neutral here re the definition, but doesn't golf require a huge amount of upper body strength to make the long distance drives? (as well as technique obviously). Which would, I''d have thought, partly account for the decline of performance with age, along with intellectual capacity & decision making which also decrease with age.

It does Ryorry as Terry Nutkins explained in his reply to you. There is a reason many golfers pick up injuries, particularly back and knee injuries and it is due to the repeated strain they put on their bodies.

How many darts or snooker players do you hear of having serious injuries as a result of the sport they play.

If Herbivoire was solely arguing about darts and snooker I could kind of see his point to some degree but with golf he is way off.
Golf on 13:38 - Jun 25 with 492 viewsTerry_Nutkins

Golf on 13:34 - Jun 25 by Enigma_Blue

It does Ryorry as Terry Nutkins explained in his reply to you. There is a reason many golfers pick up injuries, particularly back and knee injuries and it is due to the repeated strain they put on their bodies.

How many darts or snooker players do you hear of having serious injuries as a result of the sport they play.

If Herbivoire was solely arguing about darts and snooker I could kind of see his point to some degree but with golf he is way off.

I completely agree. I'm not offended that darts/snooker are referred to as sports but yes i would see more of a point. That said if a darts/snooker players could logically and with really strong evidential arguments show me i was wrong i would accept it and not belligerently refuse to accept i was wrong.

Poll: Genuine answers please on what you would choose next season!

Golf on 13:41 - Jun 25 with 485 viewsTerry_Nutkins

Golf on 13:33 - Jun 25 by Herbivore

Why would I admit I'm wrong when I don't think I'm wrong? And I thought we'd agreed to disagree, but you keep on biting.

Because your reasons given have been explained to you why they are not accurate with logic and real life examples. Unless of course you have made up your mind and don't ever change a view even against facts and reason. That just makes you a Silly Billy.

Golf on 13:45 - Jun 25 with 482 viewsHerbivore

Golf on 13:38 - Jun 25 by Terry_Nutkins

I completely agree. I'm not offended that darts/snooker are referred to as sports but yes i would see more of a point. That said if a darts/snooker players could logically and with really strong evidential arguments show me i was wrong i would accept it and not belligerently refuse to accept i was wrong.

When are you putting forward said arguments? I think you accepting that snooker and darts might not be sports but golf is a sport is based on you liking golf primarily. You've accepted a line needs to be drawn where the physical exertion to play a sport has to be at a certain level and you've drawn it at a level that allows you to include golf.

My line is drawn in a different place that excludes golf as I feel that walking and swinging a club every couple of minutes is much closer to the physical exertion required in snooker and darts than it is to the physical exertion involved in running round a football pitch for 90 minutes, or playing a 3 hour tennis match.

I am comfortable with where my line is drawn, you prefer where you've drawn yours. We will have to agree to disagree.

Golf on 13:46 - Jun 25 with 480 viewsEnigma_Blue

Golf on 13:09 - Jun 25 by Terry_Nutkins

It's hard not to bite see. He has a quite the skill set for irritation.

I could except his opinion perhaps if he had a decent argument but every time we point out a flaw it his arguments he comes up with another one. First it was not running, then it was age, then it was physical condition(moobage) and now is because golfers don't sweat.
You and I have already given to him an example of goalkeepers and there is no way they sweat as they spend the majority of a match standing around. Even though they do dive about a bit I would say overall a goalkeeper exerts less physical energy in 90 minutes than a golfer does over 18 holes.

I am pretty sure skiers don't sweat so they can't be classed as sportsmen either by his argument.
[Post edited 25 Jun 2020 13:53]
Golf on 13:48 - Jun 25 with 477 viewsEnigma_Blue

Golf on 13:06 - Jun 25 by Herbivore

No, it mentions physical exertion. I question whether snooker, darts and golf require very much in the way of physical exertion. Physical movement and physical exertion aren't synonymous, otherwise chess and Monopoly would be sports as well. Snooker, golf and darts don't really require anymore physical exertion than various other day to day activities. That's why I don't consider them sports, and I don't consider them sports based on the definition of sport, not by redefining it. I'm sorry that this bothers you.

It doesn't bother me I just don't agree and every time I or someone else poinst out a flaw in your arguments you just keep moving the goalposts as to what can be classed as a sport.
Golf on 13:50 - Jun 25 with 471 viewsHerbivore

Golf on 13:48 - Jun 25 by Enigma_Blue

It doesn't bother me I just don't agree and every time I or someone else poinst out a flaw in your arguments you just keep moving the goalposts as to what can be classed as a sport.

I haven't moved the goalposts, I've used different exemplars of why golf doesn't require the kind of physical exertion that would make it a sport. You disagree. That's literally all that's happening here.

Login to get fewer ads

Golf on 13:53 - Jun 25 with 463 viewsHerbivore

Golf on 13:46 - Jun 25 by Enigma_Blue

I could except his opinion perhaps if he had a decent argument but every time we point out a flaw it his arguments he comes up with another one. First it was not running, then it was age, then it was physical condition(moobage) and now is because golfers don't sweat.
You and I have already given to him an example of goalkeepers and there is no way they sweat as they spend the majority of a match standing around. Even though they do dive about a bit I would say overall a goalkeeper exerts less physical energy in 90 minutes than a golfer does over 18 holes.

I am pretty sure skiers don't sweat so they can't be classed as sportsmen either by his argument.
[Post edited 25 Jun 2020 13:53]

The goalkeeping example doesn't work. They aren't playing goalkeeping, they are playing football. If they invented a new game called goalkeeping where you stand still for 87 minutes out of 90 and catch a ball a few times in that same 90 minute period then we could have a debate about the merits of that as a game or a sport, but to be honest I'm not sure anyone would want to play or watch goalkeeping.

Golf on 13:54 - Jun 25 with 460 viewsTerry_Nutkins

Golf on 13:45 - Jun 25 by Herbivore

When are you putting forward said arguments? I think you accepting that snooker and darts might not be sports but golf is a sport is based on you liking golf primarily. You've accepted a line needs to be drawn where the physical exertion to play a sport has to be at a certain level and you've drawn it at a level that allows you to include golf.

My line is drawn in a different place that excludes golf as I feel that walking and swinging a club every couple of minutes is much closer to the physical exertion required in snooker and darts than it is to the physical exertion involved in running round a football pitch for 90 minutes, or playing a 3 hour tennis match.

I am comfortable with where my line is drawn, you prefer where you've drawn yours. We will have to agree to disagree.

You've made that up. I haven't accepted Darts/Snooker aren't sports. I said your arguments about lack of physicality etc might have more of a point for them i.e. if you were desperate not to have them classified as sports (For reasons known only to you) based on your interpretation of the definition of sport.

I said i have no issue with them being classified as sports myself.

As i said before e.g. goalkeepers but add in Cricket, baseball etc etc there are different levels of physical exertion. Still all sports.

You literally take your own argument and flawed logic and continue to try and twist anything and everything to try and suit it. dreadful.

Golf on 13:55 - Jun 25 with 459 viewsTerry_Nutkins

Golf on 13:53 - Jun 25 by Herbivore

The goalkeeping example doesn't work. They aren't playing goalkeeping, they are playing football. If they invented a new game called goalkeeping where you stand still for 87 minutes out of 90 and catch a ball a few times in that same 90 minute period then we could have a debate about the merits of that as a game or a sport, but to be honest I'm not sure anyone would want to play or watch goalkeeping.

It does work. Are they sportsmen?

Golf on 13:58 - Jun 25 with 454 viewsHerbivore

Golf on 13:54 - Jun 25 by Terry_Nutkins

You've made that up. I haven't accepted Darts/Snooker aren't sports. I said your arguments about lack of physicality etc might have more of a point for them i.e. if you were desperate not to have them classified as sports (For reasons known only to you) based on your interpretation of the definition of sport.

I said i have no issue with them being classified as sports myself.

As i said before e.g. goalkeepers but add in Cricket, baseball etc etc there are different levels of physical exertion. Still all sports.

You literally take your own argument and flawed logic and continue to try and twist anything and everything to try and suit it. dreadful.

I'm about the only one who's been consistent in this thread, friend.

Golf on 14:00 - Jun 25 with 450 viewsHerbivore

Golf on 13:55 - Jun 25 by Terry_Nutkins

It does work. Are they sportsmen?

It doesn't work, for the reasons I've outlined. Frankly if you've read my post and your response is "it does work" I can well understand why we've been at impasse throughout this thread.

Golf on 14:00 - Jun 25 with 449 viewsTerry_Nutkins

Golf on 13:58 - Jun 25 by Herbivore

I'm about the only one who's been consistent in this thread, friend.

😂🤣 Genuinely superb. Ooh you nearly got me to bite. Strong stuff.

Golf on 14:04 - Jun 25 with 440 viewsHerbivore

Golf on 14:00 - Jun 25 by Terry_Nutkins

😂🤣 Genuinely superb. Ooh you nearly got me to bite. Strong stuff.

What? My position has been clear throughout. You've been banging on about goalkeeping as if it's a game or sport in its own right. Frankly, you're all over the shop.

Golf on 14:04 - Jun 25 with 438 viewsTerry_Nutkins

Golf on 14:04 - Jun 25 by Herbivore

What? My position has been clear throughout. You've been banging on about goalkeeping as if it's a game or sport in its own right. Frankly, you're all over the shop.

Stop biting.

Golf on 14:07 - Jun 25 with 435 viewsHerbivore

Golf on 14:04 - Jun 25 by Terry_Nutkins

Stop biting.

Ah! Touche! I suspected you were just fishing with all this "golf is a sport" nonsense but you managed to hook me. Nicely played, sir.

Golf on 14:07 - Jun 25 with 434 viewsEnigma_Blue

Golf on 13:53 - Jun 25 by Herbivore

So because they are part of a team that participates in a sport even though they hardly do anything they can be classed as sportsmen as well?

I don't think you appreciate the amount of physical exertion that goes into playing golf at the highest level. Even at my amateur level. If I play 18 holes of golf after not playing for a month or more the day after my muscles in my arms and legs are really sore. The same if I haven't played football for a while. Ask any half serious golfer and they will tell you. I have never got that after playing darts or snooker. The amount of physical exertion is a lot closer to football than it is to darts or snooker.

What about the new speed golf craze where the golfers run in between the shots? Now surely you have to recognise that as a sport.
[Post edited 25 Jun 2020 14:11]
Golf on 14:12 - Jun 25 with 431 viewsHerbivore

Golf on 14:07 - Jun 25 by Enigma_Blue

So because they are part of a team that participates in a sport even though they hardly do anything they can be classed as sportsmen as well?

I don't think you appreciate the amount of physical exertion that goes into playing golf at the highest level. Even at my amateur level. If I play 18 holes of golf after not playing for a month or more the day after my muscles in my arms and legs are really sore. The same if I haven't played football for a while. Ask any half serious golfer and they will tell you. I have never got that after playing darts or snooker. The amount of physical exertion is a lot closer to football than it is to darts or snooker.

What about the new speed golf craze where the golfers run in between the shots? Now surely you have to recognise that as a sport.
[Post edited 25 Jun 2020 14:11]

Speed golf just sounds silly. Glad we've got to the bottom of your personal investment in the game of golf as both a player and a fan. I understand why now you're passionate about defending a game you enjoy. Good on you, many passtimes require time, dedication and skill to get good at and golf is no different.
[Post edited 25 Jun 2020 14:12]

Golf on 14:14 - Jun 25 with 427 viewsElephantintheRoom

Appeals to someone of a certain mindset It certainly wasn't for me. in my short golfing career I noticed most golfers played the game in a sense of barely suppressed rage. Once my access to corporate membership finished, so did my golf.... I certainly wouldn't want to pay good money for a game

Trout fishing is far more rewarding on every level

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Golf on 14:18 - Jun 25 with 424 viewsTerry_Nutkins

Golf on 14:07 - Jun 25 by Herbivore

Ah! Touche! I suspected you were just fishing with all this "golf is a sport" nonsense but you managed to hook me. Nicely played, sir.

Haha we are danger of turning this thread into a sport. I feel a little tired. All in good spirit bud. I should be working!

Golf on 14:22 - Jun 25 with 420 viewsTerry_Nutkins

Golf on 14:12 - Jun 25 by Herbivore

Speed golf just sounds silly. Glad we've got to the bottom of your personal investment in the game of golf as both a player and a fan. I understand why now you're passionate about defending a game you enjoy. Good on you, many passtimes require time, dedication and skill to get good at and golf is no different.
[Post edited 25 Jun 2020 14:12]

Is that a sillyness barometer you apply in your bespoke Herby knows best sports/passtime bespoke definition?

...If so Kabidy is out. Insanely silly but entertaining Sport. check it out.

Golf on 14:25 - Jun 25 with 418 viewsTerry_Nutkins

Golf on 14:14 - Jun 25 by ElephantintheRoom

Appeals to someone of a certain mindset It certainly wasn't for me. in my short golfing career I noticed most golfers played the game in a sense of barely suppressed rage. Once my access to corporate membership finished, so did my golf.... I certainly wouldn't want to pay good money for a game

Trout fishing is far more rewarding on every level

Haha. Now that is perfectly logical and true.

See thing is with fishing having only done a few times its like pot luck. But clearly there must be load of skill in it indon't know about!! Right floats or something!! Or just the right packed lunch and beer.

Golf on 14:26 - Jun 25 with 416 viewsHerbivore

Golf on 14:18 - Jun 25 by Terry_Nutkins

Haha we are danger of turning this thread into a sport. I feel a little tired. All in good spirit bud. I should be working!

Indeed, all good natured. I really need to crack on with some work now as well but this has been a fun distraction. Have a good afternoon, you're a good egg (even when we disagree, which is most of the time).

Golf on 14:31 - Jun 25 with 415 viewsTerry_Nutkins

Golf on 14:26 - Jun 25 by Herbivore

Indeed, all good natured. I really need to crack on with some work now as well but this has been a fun distraction. Have a good afternoon, you're a good egg (even when we disagree, which is most of the time).

Its alright to disagree on a load of guff though! haha

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024