Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Why is PMQs a thing? 12:45 - Jun 24 with 4930 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

No questions actually get answered.

Boris laughs, he shrugs, he mocks and he lies. Starmer asked him some very important questions and Boris didn't even try to answer.

Imagine finally getting your dream job and being completely Sh!t at it.
[Post edited 24 Jun 2020 12:45]

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

Why is PMQs a thing? on 19:42 - Jun 24 with 955 views26_Paz

Why is PMQs a thing? on 19:39 - Jun 24 by SpruceMoose

Are we not counting what we know of from Boris before COVID in this 'maybe he's just distracted' equation? Because everything we know from that period shouldn't give you much confidence.

Well Paz, clearly you're an optimistic fellow, but I'm certain time will tell that you've backed a three legged nag in this race.
[Post edited 24 Jun 2020 20:10]

We shall see. As a Tory I’m certainly more concerned by Starmer than JC or Milliband (Ed).

The Paz Man

Why is PMQs a thing? on 19:44 - Jun 24 with 952 viewsHerbivore

Why is PMQs a thing? on 19:32 - Jun 24 by 26_Paz

Have to agree to disagree on that. KS been getting the better of BoJo most weeks, I’ll give you that. I’m hoping it’s due to BoJo being a little, shall we say, distracted by the whole dealing with a pandemic thing but time will tell on that one ...

No, it's because Johnson is a complete charlatan that's not remotely fit for public office. He's also one of the least capable people to have graced the House of Commons. If you'd done any due diligence on him you'd already know this.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Why is PMQs a thing? on 19:46 - Jun 24 with 944 viewsHerbivore

Why is PMQs a thing? on 19:42 - Jun 24 by 26_Paz

We shall see. As a Tory I’m certainly more concerned by Starmer than JC or Milliband (Ed).

Has it never occurred to you to just vote for the decent politicians instead? Being a Tory because you see yourself as a Tory seems rather narrow minded.

Why is PMQs a thing? on 19:46 - Jun 24 with 942 views26_Paz

Why is PMQs a thing? on 19:44 - Jun 24 by Herbivore

No, it's because Johnson is a complete charlatan that's not remotely fit for public office. He's also one of the least capable people to have graced the House of Commons. If you'd done any due diligence on him you'd already know this.

I’ve followed Boris’s career very closely. I saw him speak when he was mayor of London. Always liked his politics, hence backing him in the leadership election. Vindicated by the general election result, was it not?

The Paz Man

Why is PMQs a thing? on 19:49 - Jun 24 with 936 views26_Paz

Why is PMQs a thing? on 19:46 - Jun 24 by Herbivore

Has it never occurred to you to just vote for the decent politicians instead? Being a Tory because you see yourself as a Tory seems rather narrow minded.

If there was a labour leader who I felt closer to politically than the Tory incumbent I would vote for them. I was too young to vote at the time but probably would have voted for Blair in 97 and 01. I did leave the party for a while under Cameron, I’m not wedded to it just out of habit.
Do you mind if I ask how many different parties you have voted for?

The Paz Man

Why is PMQs a thing? on 19:50 - Jun 24 with 932 viewsHerbivore

Why is PMQs a thing? on 19:46 - Jun 24 by 26_Paz

I’ve followed Boris’s career very closely. I saw him speak when he was mayor of London. Always liked his politics, hence backing him in the leadership election. Vindicated by the general election result, was it not?

Not really, not if what you want is a well run country with capable leadership. Not if you want a government that puts its people first. In fact we all lost at the last election. Politics isn't football, Paz.

Why is PMQs a thing? on 19:51 - Jun 24 with 929 viewsHerbivore

Why is PMQs a thing? on 19:49 - Jun 24 by 26_Paz

If there was a labour leader who I felt closer to politically than the Tory incumbent I would vote for them. I was too young to vote at the time but probably would have voted for Blair in 97 and 01. I did leave the party for a while under Cameron, I’m not wedded to it just out of habit.
Do you mind if I ask how many different parties you have voted for?

Three.

Why is PMQs a thing? on 19:52 - Jun 24 with 928 views26_Paz

Why is PMQs a thing? on 19:50 - Jun 24 by Herbivore

Not really, not if what you want is a well run country with capable leadership. Not if you want a government that puts its people first. In fact we all lost at the last election. Politics isn't football, Paz.

I know that. I thought Boris did a fantastic job as mayor of London (see knife crime stats and investment in public transport). Still hopeful he’ll do a similarly good job as PM.

The Paz Man

Login to get fewer ads

Why is PMQs a thing? on 19:57 - Jun 24 with 920 viewsHerbivore

Why is PMQs a thing? on 19:52 - Jun 24 by 26_Paz

I know that. I thought Boris did a fantastic job as mayor of London (see knife crime stats and investment in public transport). Still hopeful he’ll do a similarly good job as PM.

He really didn't. And he really won't be a good PM. That was obvious before he became PM and it was obvious in the few months he was PM before the election. You voted for him mainly because of Brexit, not because you thought he'd be good for the country.

Why is PMQs a thing? on 20:00 - Jun 24 with 917 views26_Paz

Why is PMQs a thing? on 19:57 - Jun 24 by Herbivore

He really didn't. And he really won't be a good PM. That was obvious before he became PM and it was obvious in the few months he was PM before the election. You voted for him mainly because of Brexit, not because you thought he'd be good for the country.

Brexit was a huge factor, certainly. It probably won’t surprise you that I felt closer to boris’s position than JC’s on pretty much every other issue as well.

The Paz Man

Why is PMQs a thing? on 20:00 - Jun 24 with 914 viewsHerbivore

Why is PMQs a thing? on 20:00 - Jun 24 by 26_Paz

Brexit was a huge factor, certainly. It probably won’t surprise you that I felt closer to boris’s position than JC’s on pretty much every other issue as well.

Yeah, I've always suspected you lack basic humanity.

Why is PMQs a thing? on 20:17 - Jun 24 with 887 viewsSpruceMoose

Why is PMQs a thing? on 19:46 - Jun 24 by 26_Paz

Genuine question Paz, in the spirit of the new truce.

You say that you've followed Johnson's career closely and you like his politics.

Can I ask why you were not put off at all by his extremely racist 'water melon smiles' and 'piccaninnies' comments?

Or why you weren't put off by his casual homophobia when he came out with the 'tank topped bum boys' line?

Or why you weren't put off by that time he was caught planning to have a journalist assaulted?

If you've followed his career closely you must have been aware of these things (and many others I don't have the time to list), and presumably you have had to rationalise them some how in order to still support him, despite what are, to me, abhorrent comments and actions.

So I guess my very genuine question is, how have you rationalised supporting a racist, violent, homophobe?

Surely the answer can't be as simple as 'He gave me Brexit'?
[Post edited 24 Jun 2020 20:22]

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Why is PMQs a thing? on 20:22 - Jun 24 with 867 views26_Paz

Why is PMQs a thing? on 20:17 - Jun 24 by SpruceMoose

Genuine question Paz, in the spirit of the new truce.

You say that you've followed Johnson's career closely and you like his politics.

Can I ask why you were not put off at all by his extremely racist 'water melon smiles' and 'piccaninnies' comments?

Or why you weren't put off by his casual homophobia when he came out with the 'tank topped bum boys' line?

Or why you weren't put off by that time he was caught planning to have a journalist assaulted?

If you've followed his career closely you must have been aware of these things (and many others I don't have the time to list), and presumably you have had to rationalise them some how in order to still support him, despite what are, to me, abhorrent comments and actions.

So I guess my very genuine question is, how have you rationalised supporting a racist, violent, homophobe?

Surely the answer can't be as simple as 'He gave me Brexit'?
[Post edited 24 Jun 2020 20:22]

The comments are unfortunate, certainly. I feel they may have been slightly taken out of context and I don’t believe for one minute that Boris is a racist or a homophobe. Organisations falling under his remit when he was mayor of London (e.g. TfL and the met police) were consistently recognised and rewarded for their diversity policies.
I guess it’s similar in a way to how Labour supporters would rationalise JC re tweeting that cartoon that showed a cartoon Jew with a big nose. That was also unfortunate but in reality probably taken out of context and he is probably not a raging anti Semite.

The Paz Man

Why is PMQs a thing? on 20:26 - Jun 24 with 852 viewsSpruceMoose

Why is PMQs a thing? on 20:22 - Jun 24 by 26_Paz

The comments are unfortunate, certainly. I feel they may have been slightly taken out of context and I don’t believe for one minute that Boris is a racist or a homophobe. Organisations falling under his remit when he was mayor of London (e.g. TfL and the met police) were consistently recognised and rewarded for their diversity policies.
I guess it’s similar in a way to how Labour supporters would rationalise JC re tweeting that cartoon that showed a cartoon Jew with a big nose. That was also unfortunate but in reality probably taken out of context and he is probably not a raging anti Semite.

Thank you for the answer. I have a few follow up questions as a result of your answer, if that's ok?

You say that Johnson has been taken out of context.

In what context would it be ok to say a Black person has a 'watermelon smile', and do you believe Johnson was operating within this context when he made the comment?

In what context would it be ok to say the phrase 'tank topped bum boys' when referring to gay men, and do you believe Johnson was operating within this context when he made the comment?

In what context would it be ok to plan the assault of a journalist, and do you believe Johnson was operating within this context when he made the comment?
[Post edited 24 Jun 2020 20:28]

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."

Why is PMQs a thing? on 20:36 - Jun 24 with 832 views26_Paz

Why is PMQs a thing? on 20:26 - Jun 24 by SpruceMoose

Thank you for the answer. I have a few follow up questions as a result of your answer, if that's ok?

You say that Johnson has been taken out of context.

In what context would it be ok to say a Black person has a 'watermelon smile', and do you believe Johnson was operating within this context when he made the comment?

In what context would it be ok to say the phrase 'tank topped bum boys' when referring to gay men, and do you believe Johnson was operating within this context when he made the comment?

In what context would it be ok to plan the assault of a journalist, and do you believe Johnson was operating within this context when he made the comment?
[Post edited 24 Jun 2020 20:28]

Not a problem mate. A few things really I suppose:
1. They were said the best part of 20 years ago when things were a bit different, not saying that makes it right, but it’s the context you’ve asked for. At the time things like Little Britain were perfectly acceptable. We wouldn’t dream of making comedies today that laugh at transsexuals or involve blackface ... what’s considered acceptable has changed in that time.
2. I don’t believe he meant genuine offence by the comments. They were in his newspaper columns where he no doubt got a little carried away by attempts at satire. I don’t think he meant to belittle or offend.
I must confess to not knowing too much about the beating up a journalist thing ... but I’m sure we can all agree that certain elements of the press might have asked for a bit of a slap at some points!
Do you mind if I ask a similar question as to how you would contextualise some of JC’s suspect moments in relation to anti Semitism?

The Paz Man

Why is PMQs a thing? on 20:39 - Jun 24 with 820 viewsHerbivore

Why is PMQs a thing? on 20:36 - Jun 24 by 26_Paz

1. They were said the best part of 20 years ago when things were a bit different, not saying that makes it right, but it’s the context you’ve asked for. At the time things like Little Britain were perfectly acceptable. We wouldn’t dream of making comedies today that laugh at transsexuals or involve blackface ... what’s considered acceptable has changed in that time.
2. I don’t believe he meant genuine offence by the comments. They were in his newspaper columns where he no doubt got a little carried away by attempts at satire. I don’t think he meant to belittle or offend.
I must confess to not knowing too much about the beating up a journalist thing ... but I’m sure we can all agree that certain elements of the press might have asked for a bit of a slap at some points!
Do you mind if I ask a similar question as to how you would contextualise some of JC’s suspect moments in relation to anti Semitism?

I think you're reaching a bit here.

Why is PMQs a thing? on 20:48 - Jun 24 with 810 viewsSpruceMoose

Why is PMQs a thing? on 20:36 - Jun 24 by 26_Paz

I don't want us to get side tracked by 'But Corbyn' but as far as I'm aware JC didn't draw that cartoon you referenced.

I also didnt vote for Jeremy Corbyn, and do not support him today, so that question might be better asked to someone who did and does.

I appreciate what you say about standards of acceptability changing over time, but as I'm sure you're aware, there was actually an outcry at the time he made those comments, so enough was known by enough people back then that he would have known that it was offensive.

But, people make mistakes and if they feel bad about them then they attempt to make amends. Are you aware of any measures Johnson has since taken to make amends for those comments? As I'm sure you know, his comments about Muslim women looking like 'letterboxes' came in 2018, and they don't suggest he's had much of a racial enlightenment. What did you make of those comments?

Also, you didn't mention your thoughts on the whole 'planning to assault a journalist' thing. Was that ok when it happened or is it something we've come to frown upon years later? I'm fairly sure assaulting journalists has always been a bit of a no-no.

I appreciate your answers Paz, but I must say I don't feel all that satisfied with them. It seens like you're excusing an awful lot here.
[Post edited 24 Jun 2020 20:51]

Why is PMQs a thing? on 20:48 - Jun 24 with 803 viewsfooters

Why is PMQs a thing? on 19:52 - Jun 24 by 26_Paz

The major investment in public transport was his new Routemaster idea, which was a pointless vanity project designed to remove the previous bendy buses. They're largely a waste of money and generally require two people to operate instead of one.

He's a bumbling no-mark who has no political philosophy aside from "what makes me look good?" Your faith is misplaced in this charlatan.
[Post edited 24 Jun 2020 20:55]

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Why is PMQs a thing? on 20:52 - Jun 24 with 791 viewsHerbivore

Why is PMQs a thing? on 20:48 - Jun 24 by SpruceMoose

I don't want us to get side tracked by 'But Corbyn' but as far as I'm aware JC didn't draw that cartoon you referenced.

I also didnt vote for Jeremy Corbyn, and do not support him today, so that question might be better asked to someone who did and does.

I appreciate what you say about standards of acceptability changing over time, but as I'm sure you're aware, there was actually an outcry at the time he made those comments, so enough was known by enough people back then that he would have known that it was offensive.

But, people make mistakes and if they feel bad about them then they attempt to make amends. Are you aware of any measures Johnson has since taken to make amends for those comments? As I'm sure you know, his comments about Muslim women looking like 'letterboxes' came in 2018, and they don't suggest he's had much of a racial enlightenment. What did you make of those comments?

Also, you didn't mention your thoughts on the whole 'planning to assault a journalist' thing. Was that ok when it happened or is it something we've come to frown upon years later? I'm fairly sure assaulting journalists has always been a bit of a no-no.

I appreciate your answers Paz, but I must say I don't feel all that satisfied with them. It seens like you're excusing an awful lot here.

This was his response regarding the journalist:

"I’m sure we can all agree that certain elements of the press might have asked for a bit of a slap at some points!"

Of course, Johnson himself is a journalist and one of the less scrupulous ones as well, what with getting sacked for falsifying quotes and having his employers have to print numerous corrections and retractions about his columns.

Why is PMQs a thing? on 20:54 - Jun 24 with 787 viewsSpruceMoose

Why is PMQs a thing? on 20:52 - Jun 24 by Herbivore

"I’m sure we can all agree that certain elements of the press might have asked for a bit of a slap at some points!"

Of course, Johnson himself is a journalist and one of the less scrupulous ones as well, what with getting sacked for falsifying quotes and having his employers have to print numerous corrections and retractions about his columns.

Ah I skipped that part somehow. Thanks for highlighting it.

I mean sure, I can imagine your average bloke doing community service might think it's acceptable to slap people for being annoying, but is that really want we want in a PM?
[Post edited 25 Jun 2020 5:02]

Why is PMQs a thing? on 20:54 - Jun 24 with 785 viewsfooters

Why is PMQs a thing? on 20:52 - Jun 24 by Herbivore

And I know his address now too.

Someone ring me and make this happen.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Why is PMQs a thing? on 20:56 - Jun 24 with 781 views26_Paz

Why is PMQs a thing? on 20:48 - Jun 24 by SpruceMoose

Quite a lot to answer there so apologies if I miss something (I’m typing on the phone whilst watching the Liverpool game):
Looking at your last point first I answered re the journalist, I’d politely ask you to re read my original answer on that one.
Re my reference to JC, whilst he didn’t draw the cartoon I believe he re tweeted it (may be wrong). Anyway, I wrongly assumed you were a fan of his so happy to park that one.
As for the looking like letterboxes thing, again, I genuinely don’t think he meant this to offend. There’s certainly an element of playing to his audience in certain newspapers as well. I don’t think he meant it in a ‘nasty’ way, I think it was attempts at satire rather than deliberately trying to offend people.

The Paz Man

Why is PMQs a thing? on 20:56 - Jun 24 with 781 viewsHerbivore

Why is PMQs a thing? on 20:54 - Jun 24 by SpruceMoose

Ah I skipped that part somehow. Thanks for highlighting it.

I mean sure, I can imagine your average bloke doing community service might think it's acceptable to slap people for being annoying, but is that really want we want in a PM?
[Post edited 25 Jun 2020 5:02]

He's going to quite some lengths to justify Johnson's actions. It's quite bizarre.

Why is PMQs a thing? on 20:58 - Jun 24 with 777 viewsHerbivore

Why is PMQs a thing? on 20:56 - Jun 24 by 26_Paz

Quite a lot to answer there so apologies if I miss something (I’m typing on the phone whilst watching the Liverpool game):
Looking at your last point first I answered re the journalist, I’d politely ask you to re read my original answer on that one.
Re my reference to JC, whilst he didn’t draw the cartoon I believe he re tweeted it (may be wrong). Anyway, I wrongly assumed you were a fan of his so happy to park that one.
As for the looking like letterboxes thing, again, I genuinely don’t think he meant this to offend. There’s certainly an element of playing to his audience in certain newspapers as well. I don’t think he meant it in a ‘nasty’ way, I think it was attempts at satire rather than deliberately trying to offend people.

That's an incredibly weak defence. You're basically saying it was just bantz, which doesn't make it any better and probably isn't accurate either.

Why is PMQs a thing? on 20:59 - Jun 24 with 775 views26_Paz

Why is PMQs a thing? on 20:56 - Jun 24 by Herbivore

He's going to quite some lengths to justify Johnson's actions. It's quite bizarre.

I’m only answering specific questions spruce has asked me.

The Paz Man

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024