Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Why is PMQs a thing? 12:45 - Jun 24 with 4932 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

No questions actually get answered.

Boris laughs, he shrugs, he mocks and he lies. Starmer asked him some very important questions and Boris didn't even try to answer.

Imagine finally getting your dream job and being completely Sh!t at it.
[Post edited 24 Jun 2020 12:45]

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

Why is PMQs a thing? on 21:01 - Jun 24 with 665 views26_Paz

Why is PMQs a thing? on 20:48 - Jun 24 by footers

The major investment in public transport was his new Routemaster idea, which was a pointless vanity project designed to remove the previous bendy buses. They're largely a waste of money and generally require two people to operate instead of one.

He's a bumbling no-mark who has no political philosophy aside from "what makes me look good?" Your faith is misplaced in this charlatan.
[Post edited 24 Jun 2020 20:55]

Significant investment in the tube as well. Big supporter of cross rail. I think he introduced the London overground, which did up the old east London line (may be wrong one that one). Various station and line upgrades as well

The Paz Man

Why is PMQs a thing? on 21:02 - Jun 24 with 663 viewsHerbivore

Why is PMQs a thing? on 20:59 - Jun 24 by 26_Paz

I’m only answering specific questions spruce has asked me.

I know, and I'm critiquing your responses.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Why is PMQs a thing? on 21:04 - Jun 24 with 657 viewsHerbivore

Why is PMQs a thing? on 21:01 - Jun 24 by 26_Paz

Significant investment in the tube as well. Big supporter of cross rail. I think he introduced the London overground, which did up the old east London line (may be wrong one that one). Various station and line upgrades as well

What did you make of the garden bridge and the deal done for the Olympic Stadium with West Ham?

Why is PMQs a thing? on 21:06 - Jun 24 with 654 viewsSpruceMoose

Why is PMQs a thing? on 20:56 - Jun 24 by 26_Paz

Quite a lot to answer there so apologies if I miss something (I’m typing on the phone whilst watching the Liverpool game):
Looking at your last point first I answered re the journalist, I’d politely ask you to re read my original answer on that one.
Re my reference to JC, whilst he didn’t draw the cartoon I believe he re tweeted it (may be wrong). Anyway, I wrongly assumed you were a fan of his so happy to park that one.
As for the looking like letterboxes thing, again, I genuinely don’t think he meant this to offend. There’s certainly an element of playing to his audience in certain newspapers as well. I don’t think he meant it in a ‘nasty’ way, I think it was attempts at satire rather than deliberately trying to offend people.

When you say he's playing to his audience, as a supporter of his, isn't that you? Is that the kind of comment he thinks you want to hear? Are they the kind of comments you want to hear? If you're not his audience, who is?

Don't you think it odd that this 'satire' as you call it, is always aimed at Black, Asian, Female and LGBTQ people? Where are all his satirical riffs about the middle class, wraparound sunglasses wearing white fella down the Conservative club?

Can you see what I'm getting at? At what point does repeatedly doing something stop being being a mistake and start being a genuine reflection of a man's character?

While he may not actively hate Black, Asian and LGBTQ people, he sure does seem to feel it's OK to constantly ridicule them. Why is that? Does he think he's better than them? I mean, he is from the very top 1% in the UK, gifted a life everyone else can only dream of. So why is he always pointing and laughing at the people on the bottom rung?

Isn't it bullying to always be punching down? Can you at least see that it's not very nice to make those who are often the most disenfranchised members of our society the butt of a never-ending joke?

Paz, I genuinely think you should consider the possibility that Johnson might actually just be a bad egg.
[Post edited 24 Jun 2020 21:18]

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Why is PMQs a thing? on 21:13 - Jun 24 with 632 viewsfooters

Why is PMQs a thing? on 21:01 - Jun 24 by 26_Paz

Both were ongoing, he had no say in the matter really. Great things achieved by a Labour mayor :)

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Why is PMQs a thing? on 21:17 - Jun 24 with 616 views26_Paz

Why is PMQs a thing? on 21:04 - Jun 24 by Herbivore

What did you make of the garden bridge and the deal done for the Olympic Stadium with West Ham?

Garden bridge massive c0ck up. Not a huge fan of the West Ham deal but stadium needed to find a regular use ... what would you have done with it?

The Paz Man

Why is PMQs a thing? on 21:18 - Jun 24 with 611 views26_Paz

Why is PMQs a thing? on 21:06 - Jun 24 by SpruceMoose

When you say he's playing to his audience, as a supporter of his, isn't that you? Is that the kind of comment he thinks you want to hear? Are they the kind of comments you want to hear? If you're not his audience, who is?

Don't you think it odd that this 'satire' as you call it, is always aimed at Black, Asian, Female and LGBTQ people? Where are all his satirical riffs about the middle class, wraparound sunglasses wearing white fella down the Conservative club?

Can you see what I'm getting at? At what point does repeatedly doing something stop being being a mistake and start being a genuine reflection of a man's character?

While he may not actively hate Black, Asian and LGBTQ people, he sure does seem to feel it's OK to constantly ridicule them. Why is that? Does he think he's better than them? I mean, he is from the very top 1% in the UK, gifted a life everyone else can only dream of. So why is he always pointing and laughing at the people on the bottom rung?

Isn't it bullying to always be punching down? Can you at least see that it's not very nice to make those who are often the most disenfranchised members of our society the butt of a never-ending joke?

Paz, I genuinely think you should consider the possibility that Johnson might actually just be a bad egg.
[Post edited 24 Jun 2020 21:18]

I don’t think he is always punching down and bullying those on the lowest rungs of the ladder. More working class people are voting Tory under Johnson than ever before.

The Paz Man

Why is PMQs a thing? on 21:19 - Jun 24 with 610 viewsSpruceMoose

Why is PMQs a thing? on 21:17 - Jun 24 by 26_Paz

Garden bridge massive c0ck up. Not a huge fan of the West Ham deal but stadium needed to find a regular use ... what would you have done with it?

In his dream world Footers would have filled it with strong Polish lager and go for a swim in it.
[Post edited 24 Jun 2020 21:28]

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."

Login to get fewer ads

Why is PMQs a thing? on 21:21 - Jun 24 with 604 viewsHerbivore

Why is PMQs a thing? on 21:18 - Jun 24 by 26_Paz

I don’t think he is always punching down and bullying those on the lowest rungs of the ladder. More working class people are voting Tory under Johnson than ever before.

What is happening here is that every time you're being presented with evidence you're just coming back with "I don't really believe it though" or variants thereof. It's not really a counter argument, it's flat out denial.

"The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command".

Why is PMQs a thing? on 21:22 - Jun 24 with 600 viewsfooters

Why is PMQs a thing? on 21:19 - Jun 24 by SpruceMoose

In his dream world Footers would have filled it with strong Polish lager and go for a swim in it.
[Post edited 24 Jun 2020 21:28]

That's what the Boris Island Airport scheme was all about, idiot.

You're not wrong though.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Why is PMQs a thing? on 21:27 - Jun 24 with 593 viewsSpruceMoose

Why is PMQs a thing? on 21:18 - Jun 24 by 26_Paz

I don't think you're engaging with my questions fairly any more Paz. Come on now, I'm enjoying this discussion and I'm trying my hardest to take that more moderate approach demanded by some of the board's 'very concerned' people.

I've just shown you that through his comments he is indeed always punching down. He doesn't ridicule white people in this way. Anyhow, your two points aren't even related. When you say working class do you mean white working class? Because I can't imagine these comments were designed to amuse any other voters.

Can you imagine that Black working class folk like being called racist names, or the gay members of the working class like hearing themselves referred to in homophobic terms?

Maybe some of the white working class are more ambivalent, but do you not think that it's quite possible that the white working class have been encouraged to believe in Johnson's brand of punching down on those less fortunate than themselves, and do you ever wonder why?

Again I ask you, are you not his audience? Are these comments what you like to hear? What kind of audience do you think likes hearing about watermelon smiles and bum boys?

You've still not given a strong justification for why you support him. You say you've followed his career closely, and you support him despite his history. Do you see how that might reflect badly on you?

On a more positive note, what do you feel Johnson has done for you? Or for minorities and the county as a whole. What makes you believe he has their back?
[Post edited 24 Jun 2020 21:35]

Why is PMQs a thing? on 21:35 - Jun 24 with 574 views26_Paz

Why is PMQs a thing? on 21:27 - Jun 24 by SpruceMoose

I don't think you're engaging with my questions fairly any more Paz. Come on now, I'm enjoying this discussion and I'm trying my hardest to take that more moderate approach demanded by some of the board's 'very concerned' people.

I've just shown you that through his comments he is indeed always punching down. He doesn't ridicule white people in this way. Anyhow, your two points aren't even related. When you say working class do you mean white working class? Because I can't imagine these comments were designed to amuse any other voters.

Can you imagine that Black working class folk like being called racist names, or the gay members of the working class like hearing themselves referred to in homophobic terms?

Maybe some of the white working class are more ambivalent, but do you not think that it's quite possible that the white working class have been encouraged to believe in Johnson's brand of punching down on those less fortunate than themselves, and do you ever wonder why?

Again I ask you, are you not his audience? Are these comments what you like to hear? What kind of audience do you think likes hearing about watermelon smiles and bum boys?

You've still not given a strong justification for why you support him. You say you've followed his career closely, and you support him despite his history. Do you see how that might reflect badly on you?

On a more positive note, what do you feel Johnson has done for you? Or for minorities and the county as a whole. What makes you believe he has their back?

You’re asking me quite a lot of questions here and I am doing my best to answer them. I’ll look at the main question about who is his audience when he says these things, if that’s ok? He’s obviously playing to the telegraph / express / mail readers who have very different interpretations of what is offensive than someone like you would (I genuinely don’t mean that as an insult). He’s playing to the types who would see this through his loveable jester prism. With regard myself, as I’ve explained, I don’t think those comments were offensive in the context and therefore don’t think supporting the person who said them reflects badly on me.
I don’t have any stats on percentages of BAME or LGBT working class people who voted for him so wouldn’t want to wade into that without the facts.

The Paz Man

Why is PMQs a thing? on 21:39 - Jun 24 with 562 views26_Paz

Why is PMQs a thing? on 21:27 - Jun 24 by SpruceMoose

In terms of what he’s done for me, the obvious answer that you’ve already alluded to earlier is Brexit. With regard what he’s done for minorities I can’t think of any concrete policies he’s specifically brought in (he has been quite busy with Brexit then COVID in fairness). I don’t think he’s done anything negative for minorities in any way.

The Paz Man

Why is PMQs a thing? on 21:43 - Jun 24 with 553 viewsHerbivore

Why is PMQs a thing? on 21:35 - Jun 24 by 26_Paz

You’re asking me quite a lot of questions here and I am doing my best to answer them. I’ll look at the main question about who is his audience when he says these things, if that’s ok? He’s obviously playing to the telegraph / express / mail readers who have very different interpretations of what is offensive than someone like you would (I genuinely don’t mean that as an insult). He’s playing to the types who would see this through his loveable jester prism. With regard myself, as I’ve explained, I don’t think those comments were offensive in the context and therefore don’t think supporting the person who said them reflects badly on me.
I don’t have any stats on percentages of BAME or LGBT working class people who voted for him so wouldn’t want to wade into that without the facts.

"They asked you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command".

Why is PMQs a thing? on 21:45 - Jun 24 with 550 viewsHerbivore

Why is PMQs a thing? on 21:39 - Jun 24 by 26_Paz

In terms of what he’s done for me, the obvious answer that you’ve already alluded to earlier is Brexit. With regard what he’s done for minorities I can’t think of any concrete policies he’s specifically brought in (he has been quite busy with Brexit then COVID in fairness). I don’t think he’s done anything negative for minorities in any way.

How has Brexit benefited you so far? It's cost the country as much as our 40 years of contributions to the EU budget already and thus far I've yet to see any tangible benefits or any suggestion any tangible benefits will be forthcoming.

Why is PMQs a thing? on 21:45 - Jun 24 with 548 viewsSpruceMoose

Why is PMQs a thing? on 21:35 - Jun 24 by 26_Paz

So let's summarise.

You don't think the comments about watermelon smiles, bumboys and women looking like letterboxes were offensive.

You're not bothered by the plans to assault a journalist because you don't know much about it (and haven't indicated that you will look into it).

You happy to say that the price you're willing (other people to pay) for all this is getting Brexit.

You don't think supporting someone who laughs about watermelon smiles, bum boys, letterbox women and makes plans to assault journalists reflects badly on you.

I think we had best agree to disagree here, as I think they are actually hugely offensive comments and actions, made even worse by the fact that the man who said them is supposed to represent and fight for every British citizen, regardless of whether they voted (or would ever vote) for the Conservative Party or not. If you don't see that then, sadly, I think that does reflect poorly on you.

Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions.
[Post edited 24 Jun 2020 21:50]

Why is PMQs a thing? on 21:47 - Jun 24 with 543 views26_Paz

Why is PMQs a thing? on 21:45 - Jun 24 by Herbivore

How has Brexit benefited you so far? It's cost the country as much as our 40 years of contributions to the EU budget already and thus far I've yet to see any tangible benefits or any suggestion any tangible benefits will be forthcoming.

I meant in terms of giving me what I voted for rather than just talking about it or promoting some half in half out arrangement. In terms of tangible benefits of Brexit as I’ve said previously, these won’t be immediate. They will become apparent over the longer term though I am sure. As I’ve previously said I think the EU is a doomed project and that it will collapse. We are best off we’ll out of that

The Paz Man

Why is PMQs a thing? on 21:49 - Jun 24 with 539 views26_Paz

Why is PMQs a thing? on 21:45 - Jun 24 by SpruceMoose

So let's summarise.

You don't think the comments about watermelon smiles, bumboys and women looking like letterboxes were offensive.

You're not bothered by the plans to assault a journalist because you don't know much about it (and haven't indicated that you will look into it).

You happy to say that the price you're willing (other people to pay) for all this is getting Brexit.

You don't think supporting someone who laughs about watermelon smiles, bum boys, letterbox women and makes plans to assault journalists reflects badly on you.

I think we had best agree to disagree here, as I think they are actually hugely offensive comments and actions, made even worse by the fact that the man who said them is supposed to represent and fight for every British citizen, regardless of whether they voted (or would ever vote) for the Conservative Party or not. If you don't see that then, sadly, I think that does reflect poorly on you.

Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions.
[Post edited 24 Jun 2020 21:50]

No problem mate. Thanks for the discussion. Have a good evening (or whatever time it is in the US)

The Paz Man

Why is PMQs a thing? on 21:50 - Jun 24 with 535 viewsHerbivore

Why is PMQs a thing? on 21:47 - Jun 24 by 26_Paz

I meant in terms of giving me what I voted for rather than just talking about it or promoting some half in half out arrangement. In terms of tangible benefits of Brexit as I’ve said previously, these won’t be immediate. They will become apparent over the longer term though I am sure. As I’ve previously said I think the EU is a doomed project and that it will collapse. We are best off we’ll out of that

Those are some thoughts that aren't backed up by any evidence though, they aren't actual tangible benefits. You're no better off because of Brexit, in fact we're all worse off and will continue to be so despite your thoughts that aren't based on any evidence.

Why is PMQs a thing? on 21:52 - Jun 24 with 527 viewsSpruceMoose

Why is PMQs a thing? on 21:49 - Jun 24 by 26_Paz

No problem mate. Thanks for the discussion. Have a good evening (or whatever time it is in the US)

You too. It's late afternoon here, time for a beer.

I've got say though, I'm a little surprised you'd read my post and be like 'yeah, I'm cool with that characterisation' though!

Why is PMQs a thing? on 21:53 - Jun 24 with 526 views26_Paz

Why is PMQs a thing? on 21:52 - Jun 24 by SpruceMoose

You too. It's late afternoon here, time for a beer.

I've got say though, I'm a little surprised you'd read my post and be like 'yeah, I'm cool with that characterisation' though!

As you said we’re agreeing to disagree so leaving it there

The Paz Man

Why is PMQs a thing? on 23:12 - Jun 24 with 487 viewsreusersfreekicks

Why is PMQs a thing? on 19:32 - Jun 24 by 26_Paz

Have to agree to disagree on that. KS been getting the better of BoJo most weeks, I’ll give you that. I’m hoping it’s due to BoJo being a little, shall we say, distracted by the whole dealing with a pandemic thing but time will tell on that one ...

Oh come on open your eyes. Starmer is twice the man Johnson ever will be. He has integrity for a start. Starmer wants to be PM to do better things for the people. Johnson wanted to be pm as part of an ego trip of an insecure bloke with poor self esteem
Why is PMQs a thing? on 23:19 - Jun 24 with 481 viewsSpruceMoose

Why is PMQs a thing? on 23:12 - Jun 24 by reusersfreekicks

Oh come on open your eyes. Starmer is twice the man Johnson ever will be. He has integrity for a start. Starmer wants to be PM to do better things for the people. Johnson wanted to be pm as part of an ego trip of an insecure bloke with poor self esteem

Are you saying our current PM probably has a little willy? What kind of a patriot are you? Quieten down man, the French might hear.

Why is PMQs a thing? on 12:08 - Jun 25 with 376 viewsTangledupin_Blue

Would like to commend Paz and SpruceMoose for their contributions to this thread. Differences acknowledged, questions asked, reasoned argument. No snarkiness.

As things ought to be always.

Poll: Which Two Will Gain Automatic Promotion?

Why is PMQs a thing? on 12:08 - Jun 25 with 375 viewsHerbivore

Why is PMQs a thing? on 12:08 - Jun 25 by Tangledupin_Blue

Would like to commend Paz and SpruceMoose for their contributions to this thread. Differences acknowledged, questions asked, reasoned argument. No snarkiness.

As things ought to be always.

SUQ

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024