Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Goodbye (again) to The Railway 16:12 - Jul 3 with 1553 viewsDebsyAngel

Sad news on Facebook today from the landlord of the pub that with all the uncertainty that lay ahead they have decided to close permanently. I am gutted. It stood there empty for ages and they took it and made it great again. F*** this virus and all the job losses and deaths. I cannot ever seen things getting better again. Everything is opening all at once, except things like dentists and doctors. It seems all round the wrong way.

I wish them all the best after taking on the Railway. Just hope one day it can reopen as a live venue with new proprietors.
Goodbye (again) to The Railway on 17:25 - Jul 3 with 1412 viewsFixed_It

I'm sure the Naarwich fans would still 'take' it if we ever play them again...

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Goodbye (again) to The Railway on 17:26 - Jul 3 with 1409 viewsITFC_Forever

Goodbye (again) to The Railway on 17:25 - Jul 3 by Fixed_It

I'm sure the Naarwich fans would still 'take' it if we ever play them again...

Given that it's several miles away from PR on Foxhall Road, "taking" the Railway is a bit irrelevant as well.

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Goodbye (again) to The Railway on 17:35 - Jul 3 with 1375 viewsFixed_It

Goodbye (again) to The Railway on 17:26 - Jul 3 by ITFC_Forever

Given that it's several miles away from PR on Foxhall Road, "taking" the Railway is a bit irrelevant as well.

You think that would stop them?!

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Goodbye (again) to The Railway on 17:36 - Jul 3 with 1370 viewsMattinLondon

Used to be my local when I lived in Ipswich - well technically it was The Heathlands but that was also full of arseholes so that didn’t really count.

Was a really good venue for small local bands who wanted to be part of the live music scene.
Goodbye (again) to The Railway on 17:41 - Jul 3 with 1348 viewsTractorWood

Always wanted to go in the Suffolk Punch on Norwich Road. What's that like?

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Goodbye (again) to The Railway on 17:54 - Jul 3 with 1326 viewsDebsyAngel

Goodbye (again) to The Railway on 17:36 - Jul 3 by MattinLondon

Used to be my local when I lived in Ipswich - well technically it was The Heathlands but that was also full of arseholes so that didn’t really count.

Was a really good venue for small local bands who wanted to be part of the live music scene.

I don't think we have any other live music venues now with this gone and the Mulberry Tree long gone, The Black Horse gone and the Snooker place in Duke Street went too. Think it's just the Smokehouse now and that's it? I could be wrong.

I really loved the Ska gigs at the Railway, in particular, The Start, who were not only good but really nice guys too and they loved playing there. They had to cancel a load of gigs as their singer was very ill before all this virus started.
Goodbye (again) to The Railway on 18:04 - Jul 3 with 1300 viewsazuremerlangus

Goodbye (again) to The Railway on 17:41 - Jul 3 by TractorWood

Ahh - that was my end of town. Many happy evenings in there during the 80's.

No idea what that is like these days.

Poll: What type of manager will we get?

Goodbye (again) to The Railway on 18:16 - Jul 3 with 1277 viewsSouthBucksBlue

Goodbye (again) to The Railway on 17:54 - Jul 3 by DebsyAngel

I don't think we have any other live music venues now with this gone and the Mulberry Tree long gone, The Black Horse gone and the Snooker place in Duke Street went too. Think it's just the Smokehouse now and that's it? I could be wrong.

I really loved the Ska gigs at the Railway, in particular, The Start, who were not only good but really nice guys too and they loved playing there. They had to cancel a load of gigs as their singer was very ill before all this virus started.

The Black Horse gone??!!
When did it close?
Login to get fewer ads

Goodbye (again) to The Railway on 18:37 - Jul 3 with 1215 viewsDebsyAngel

Goodbye (again) to The Railway on 18:16 - Jul 3 by SouthBucksBlue

The Black Horse gone??!!
When did it close?

Not sure if it's forever, but the owners left in May. This is the news story which I saw it on...

https://www.ipswichstar.co.uk/news/business/the-black-horse-pub-ipswich-will-clo
Goodbye (again) to The Railway on 18:48 - Jul 3 with 1168 viewsSouthBucksBlue

Goodbye (again) to The Railway on 18:37 - Jul 3 by DebsyAngel

Not sure if it's forever, but the owners left in May. This is the news story which I saw it on...

https://www.ipswichstar.co.uk/news/business/the-black-horse-pub-ipswich-will-clo

Let’s hope it does re-open. My pre match pub of choice since the 80s and more recently a great music venue.
Goodbye (again) to The Railway on 19:23 - Jul 3 with 1122 viewsMugwump

It’s ok, bit like a typical estate pub although not technically on an estate. I pop in now and again.

The Railway people left the Punch to take The Railway on.
Goodbye (again) to The Railway on 00:06 - Jul 4 with 965 viewsstonojnr

I thought it was good when I visited last year as part of the Ipswich ale trail, the cask ale was very good, I tried both they had on,sometimes quality does trump quantity of choice & would put some pubs in the Good Beer Guide in Ipswich to shame frankly, it was obviously also a local & regulars pub and I wasnt local or regular, but I didnt feel as out of place as I did at the Railway when doing the same trail.

but unfortunately the Suffolk Punch closed the week before lockdown, so they were already shut when it happened,and its been on the market ever since, whether anyone picks it up in this climate is probably very unlikely IMO
Goodbye (again) to The Railway on 00:12 - Jul 4 with 948 viewsjeera

Goodbye (again) to The Railway on 18:16 - Jul 3 by SouthBucksBlue

The Black Horse gone??!!
When did it close?

That one's long bolted.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Goodbye (again) to The Railway on 00:13 - Jul 4 with 946 viewsrgp1

Goodbye (again) to The Railway on 00:06 - Jul 4 by stonojnr

I thought it was good when I visited last year as part of the Ipswich ale trail, the cask ale was very good, I tried both they had on,sometimes quality does trump quantity of choice & would put some pubs in the Good Beer Guide in Ipswich to shame frankly, it was obviously also a local & regulars pub and I wasnt local or regular, but I didnt feel as out of place as I did at the Railway when doing the same trail.

but unfortunately the Suffolk Punch closed the week before lockdown, so they were already shut when it happened,and its been on the market ever since, whether anyone picks it up in this climate is probably very unlikely IMO

Someone moved in last week. Apparently it reopens 11th July.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024