Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
This team would be very much acceptable for a League One promotion push 10:42 - Aug 12 with 10194 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

Holy
Vincent-Young Woolfenden Chambers Ward
Downes Huws
Sears / Jackson Bishop Edwards
Graham

If you played what is effectively 4231 and stick to it I could really see us being a force with the squad we already have. Seems to me that this gets the best out of the squad.

Obviously the fitness of Huws and Bishop is always going to be a question, but this to me looks the way to go.

Chambers in form, alongside Wolf would be decent ahead of Holy. KVY is superb and will get forward. Ward has got the ability to get forward still and I really rate Edwards and he's never had a proper run in his preferred position of wide left. He's got goals in him.

This system allows Downes and Huws to do the dirty work which they can. If we assume Bishop isn't going to stay fit (I hope he does) then Dozzell could play this role or even Nolan if he can find some form and be given licence to go forward and not just pass it backwards.

With Edwards and Sears wide, plus Jackson (not ideal but I can't see him as a focal point with such shocking control) you can then add in El Mizouni, Lankester, Dobra between the WL, AM, WR positions and allow them to try and win a place.

Norwood could be the focal point easily enough. Graham for me would or a Chris Martin type would work with pace either side of him through Sears, Jackson, Edwards, Lankester etc. The new Daryl Murphy if you will. The formation wouldn't be a million miles of Mick's 433 with the likes of Noel Hunt and Sears playing off Daryl.

That gives us a bit of everything. Steel. Technical ability. Pace, Energy. Which is exactly why it won't happen, but I see that as the best way of using the forward thinking players we have and being pretty solid at the back.

Both KVY and Ward could push on when needed knowing Edwards can sit in and Sears works tirelessly anyway.
[Post edited 12 Aug 2020 10:53]

Poll: How many points from 18 would Lambert need to have to actually be sacked?
Blog: Ipswich Town and the Rotten Kitchen Cupboards

This team would be very much acceptable for a League One promotion push on 14:45 - Aug 12 with 4234 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

This team would be very much acceptable for a League One promotion push on 14:12 - Aug 12 by ericclacton

Kenlock has a good left peg and under Mick was starting to look good when Knude son went inside, i would like to see him have a good run in the team. I think your left side looks weak don't agree with Chambers there or Edwards, but i respect your choice of course.

Whilst likewise, I also respect your opinion, I am really struggling to take it seriously when you've suggested Kenlock having a good run in the team.

Anyone that's seen his last 20 appearances and thinks he should be anywhere near the first team is never going to convince me they are right about any of the other players I have mentioned.

Sorry!

This team would be very much acceptable for a League One promotion push on 14:49 - Aug 12 with 4223 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

This team would be very much acceptable for a League One promotion push on 14:17 - Aug 12 by Bluefish

Your last question is the key to this

Ah. So you can't actually answer with any kind of insight or analysis. Just a vague statement that allows me to try and draw my own conclusions.

Come on Alan Hansen. Feel free to educate us as to why Dobra and El Mizouni won't run around like headless chickens, two players who have done precisely nothing in first team football apart from a red card and a couple of dribbles (if you exclude the Checkatrade trophy) but players that have scored goals in the Championship (like Edwards getting 6 in one of the worst sides ever and Sears hitting good scoring runs of form) won't.

You don't get the luxury of pretending young players who have proven nothing will be the answer. Andre Dozzell was rated much higher than either of those two and three years later has still done nothing.

This team would be very much acceptable for a League One promotion push on 14:52 - Aug 12 with 4219 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

It's not a bad side, I don't like Jackson and Sears as wide men here though.

Holy
KVY - Chambers - Woolfenden - Nydam
Downes - Huws
Lankester - El Mizouni - Edwards
Norwood

Subs: Jackson, Sears, Skuse, Wilson, Dobra, Bishop, GK

I don't know whether Ward will sign or not, but not adverse to Nydam as a left back as seemingly found his feet a little there in preseason, certainly has the tenacity and engine for that role.

I'd love a new CB, Chambers to drop to the bench, Wilson out, but suspect that hinges on Nsiala moving on.

Poll: Would you be happy with Paul Lambert?

This team would be very much acceptable for a League One promotion push on 15:03 - Aug 12 with 4199 viewsericclacton

This team would be very much acceptable for a League One promotion push on 14:45 - Aug 12 by WarkTheWarkITFC

Whilst likewise, I also respect your opinion, I am really struggling to take it seriously when you've suggested Kenlock having a good run in the team.

Anyone that's seen his last 20 appearances and thinks he should be anywhere near the first team is never going to convince me they are right about any of the other players I have mentioned.

Sorry!

Pleas don't take it seriously, we do have a habit of unloading young players who go on to make it at other clubs K Moore being a prime example, i am also against bringing in players on the cheap who are at the wrong end of their careers and are usually carrying some sort of injury, i admit he is raw and somewhat erratic and low on confidence, but that can be put right by good coaching and getting a run in the team, we are in the third division please don't forget. yours truly erica clacton genius.

This team would be very much acceptable for a League One promotion push on 15:26 - Aug 12 with 4152 viewsBluefish

This team would be very much acceptable for a League One promotion push on 14:49 - Aug 12 by WarkTheWarkITFC

Ah. So you can't actually answer with any kind of insight or analysis. Just a vague statement that allows me to try and draw my own conclusions.

Come on Alan Hansen. Feel free to educate us as to why Dobra and El Mizouni won't run around like headless chickens, two players who have done precisely nothing in first team football apart from a red card and a couple of dribbles (if you exclude the Checkatrade trophy) but players that have scored goals in the Championship (like Edwards getting 6 in one of the worst sides ever and Sears hitting good scoring runs of form) won't.

You don't get the luxury of pretending young players who have proven nothing will be the answer. Andre Dozzell was rated much higher than either of those two and three years later has still done nothing.

I am not really sure if you are being serious here, you seemed to answer your own question but now you are re-asking it again. If you can't see a technical difference or a difference in intelligence between those players i am not sure it is worth trying to put it in words.

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

This team would be very much acceptable for a League One promotion push on 15:26 - Aug 12 with 4154 viewsclive_baker

This team would be very much acceptable for a League One promotion push on 14:13 - Aug 12 by Herbivore

I'd prefer to go 4-3-3 as I think the likes of Sears, Lankester and Dobra will offer more as wide forwards than as wingers in a 4-4-2. I like the idea of Jackson as a wide forward in that system too. It then also enables us to get three players in midfield where we look overstocked with talent. Got to play to the squad's strengths and for me that's more of a 4-3-3 than a 4-4-2.

Wouldn't be adverse to it. I liked how Coventry approached last season, not dissimilar to what you've proposed with more of a narrow 5-2-2-1 / 4-3-2-1 which I actually think our personnel is well suited to. Need that focal point at the top, perhaps Norwood with Sears and Jackson either side could work. Or Bishop. We say it every year but if he can stay fit it would be like a new signing. I'm hoping Covid might've done him some favours, giving himself the time to have the best chance of staying fit. Unlikely I would imagine.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

This team would be very much acceptable for a League One promotion push on 15:34 - Aug 12 with 4142 viewsericclacton

This team would be very much acceptable for a League One promotion push on 14:49 - Aug 12 by WarkTheWarkITFC

You should change your user name to Wark the Plank, or Caple ploughman.

This team would be very much acceptable for a League One promotion push on 15:37 - Aug 12 with 4130 viewsHerbivore

This team would be very much acceptable for a League One promotion push on 15:26 - Aug 12 by clive_baker

Wouldn't be adverse to it. I liked how Coventry approached last season, not dissimilar to what you've proposed with more of a narrow 5-2-2-1 / 4-3-2-1 which I actually think our personnel is well suited to. Need that focal point at the top, perhaps Norwood with Sears and Jackson either side could work. Or Bishop. We say it every year but if he can stay fit it would be like a new signing. I'm hoping Covid might've done him some favours, giving himself the time to have the best chance of staying fit. Unlikely I would imagine.

I love Bishop but I've kind of written off planning for him being fit. If he does stay fit it's a massive bonus of course. That said, I reckon El Miz might be able to do the Bishop role for us (2014/15 Bishop, not always injured Bishop) if he can't stay fit. He's got the attributes to play box to box like Teddy has and has a similar knack of being able to drift past players and make things happen.

I also think Dobra/Lankester occupying a flank and Jackson/Sears occupying the other gives us good options and helps us keep them all fit by rotating one in and one out at times. Dobra and Lankester to offer a bit of trickery and the ability to link midfield and attack, Sears and Jackson to offer pace and a threat in behind and to ensure the main striker doesn't get isolated.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Login to get fewer ads

This team would be very much acceptable for a League One promotion push on 15:50 - Aug 12 with 4104 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

I think Edwards is fine at this level actually, Sears still has a role I think although wouldn't be a starter week in week out.

However, footballers like Dobra, El Mizouni and Lankester are talented footballers, really talented. But you have to trust them, Dobra and El Mizouni are 19 years old, Lankester 20, far from experienced but you've got to trust them at an early age begin that development.

I don't want to see them come in every 10 games for a start, or have 10 minute camps every 5 games, they've got to be trusted to develop, and that is my opinion on how we will get the best out of an outstanding academy system we have.

If you don't trust them, don't play them, don't put consistent faith in them for a real run of games, well you get Andre Dozzell situation again.

Does Lambert have the balls to trust the talented kids I don't know, or will 12th September come around we see the like of Nolan and Judge being rolled out for another season.

This team would be very much acceptable for a League One promotion push on 15:53 - Aug 12 with 4094 viewsBLUEBEAT

Chambers will be even slower this season.

I’d rather he didn’t play for us anymore.

The amount of times he was caught out of position/lummocking along/Give away needless goals and chances/burying his head in the sand.... way more than any other in the back line.

Give him a coaching role if he’s loved/respected so much.

Poll: W or W

This team would be very much acceptable for a League One promotion push on 15:58 - Aug 12 with 4082 viewsBluefish

This team would be very much acceptable for a League One promotion push on 15:53 - Aug 12 by BLUEBEAT

Chambers will be even slower this season.

I’d rather he didn’t play for us anymore.

The amount of times he was caught out of position/lummocking along/Give away needless goals and chances/burying his head in the sand.... way more than any other in the back line.

Give him a coaching role if he’s loved/respected so much.

Chambers will stop playing when we have someone better than him to take his place

This team would be very much acceptable for a League One promotion push on 16:01 - Aug 12 with 4074 viewsclive_baker

This team would be very much acceptable for a League One promotion push on 15:37 - Aug 12 by Herbivore

I love Bishop but I've kind of written off planning for him being fit. If he does stay fit it's a massive bonus of course. That said, I reckon El Miz might be able to do the Bishop role for us (2014/15 Bishop, not always injured Bishop) if he can't stay fit. He's got the attributes to play box to box like Teddy has and has a similar knack of being able to drift past players and make things happen.

I also think Dobra/Lankester occupying a flank and Jackson/Sears occupying the other gives us good options and helps us keep them all fit by rotating one in and one out at times. Dobra and Lankester to offer a bit of trickery and the ability to link midfield and attack, Sears and Jackson to offer pace and a threat in behind and to ensure the main striker doesn't get isolated.

I think that's it, we were so pedestrian, predictable, and ultimately very very easy to play against last season. We need 2 or 3 like a Bishop, Dobra, El Miz, Lankester to be a bit fearless in there and make things happen. Drop a shoulder and beat a man, create a bit of space, try something a little different and with Jackson / Norwood / Sears stretching their defence and working their b0llocks off further forward we would be a force. On paper we have an exciting team, but we need to bring out that dynamism in the right way and release the shackles.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

This team would be very much acceptable for a League One promotion push on 16:08 - Aug 12 with 4053 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

This team would be very much acceptable for a League One promotion push on 16:01 - Aug 12 by clive_baker

I think that's it, we were so pedestrian, predictable, and ultimately very very easy to play against last season. We need 2 or 3 like a Bishop, Dobra, El Miz, Lankester to be a bit fearless in there and make things happen. Drop a shoulder and beat a man, create a bit of space, try something a little different and with Jackson / Norwood / Sears stretching their defence and working their b0llocks off further forward we would be a force. On paper we have an exciting team, but we need to bring out that dynamism in the right way and release the shackles.

Such a good point. Pedestrian is good way of describing it, I was constantly referring to it as passive last year, similar concept.

But we have the capabilities of a really exciting team here, fluid, attacking, creative, so many positives to it.

We will rely on people staying fit though, especially the key players.

This team would be very much acceptable for a League One promotion push on 16:24 - Aug 12 with 4040 viewsHerbivore

This team would be very much acceptable for a League One promotion push on 16:01 - Aug 12 by clive_baker

Agree completely, the squad is decent and it just needs someone to unlock its potential. I think that's why I would tend to lean towards a slightly more progressive and dynamic formation that gives a platform to our talented players. Although we used different systems last season, whether we played 4-4-2 or 3-5-2 it always felt so rigid and predictable. The one exception was the few games where we randomly decided to get the CBs overlapping and that worked well, but I'd rather we give licence to the likes of Bishop or El Miz, Dobra or Lankester to offer that dynamism rather than it being Chambo or Woolfy.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

This team would be very much acceptable for a League One promotion push on 16:35 - Aug 12 with 4016 viewsJ2BLUE

This team would be very much acceptable for a League One promotion push on 13:24 - Aug 12 by Dyland

"I still hope Nsiala can make it. Perhaps games without crowds will allow him time to rediscover his form."

Form?

Shrewsbury form.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Chambers fading ... on 23:51 - Aug 12 with 3933 viewsEl_Fenix

This team would be very much acceptable for a League One promotion push on 15:58 - Aug 12 by Bluefish

Chambers will stop playing when we have someone better than him to take his place

Whose fault is it that we don't?

ITFC shall rise like a phoenix from the ashes of its long decline!

Chambers fading ... on 23:56 - Aug 12 with 3923 viewsBluefish

Chambers fading ... on 23:51 - Aug 12 by El_Fenix

Whose fault is it that we don't?

Chambers for being too good?

This team would be very much acceptable for a League One promotion push on 00:02 - Aug 13 with 3918 viewsITFC_96

Because one is a 27 year old firm League 1 player, and the other two are 19 year olds with clear talent, one of whom had interest from multiple Premier League sides and Champions League quarter finalists...?
Chambers fading ... on 01:10 - Aug 13 with 3872 viewsEl_Fenix

Chambers fading ... on 23:56 - Aug 12 by Bluefish

Chambers for being too good?

Shirley you jest.

ITFC shall rise like a phoenix from the ashes of its long decline!

This team would be very much acceptable for a League One promotion push on 08:08 - Aug 13 with 3817 viewsitfcjoe

This team would be very much acceptable for a League One promotion push on 15:26 - Aug 12 by Bluefish

I am not really sure if you are being serious here, you seemed to answer your own question but now you are re-asking it again. If you can't see a technical difference or a difference in intelligence between those players i am not sure it is worth trying to put it in words.

But Sears is clearly a much more intelligent footballer than almost all in our squad - to claim Dobra and El Miz are more intelligent footballers than him is a massive stretch, Dobra especially

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

This team would be very much acceptable for a League One promotion push on 08:11 - Aug 13 with 3810 viewsitfcjoe

It's the Jon Nolan effect - so safe in possession, he moves it a bit quicker than most but does so safely. the others move it so slowly it's very easy to defend against. Predictable

This team would be very much acceptable for a League One promotion push on 08:21 - Aug 13 with 3796 viewsBluefish

This team would be very much acceptable for a League One promotion push on 08:08 - Aug 13 by itfcjoe

But Sears is clearly a much more intelligent footballer than almost all in our squad - to claim Dobra and El Miz are more intelligent footballers than him is a massive stretch, Dobra especially

I'm not sure what you are seeing there. Sears is likable but if you ask everyone to describe him the top choice will be hard working, it will be low down the list before you get to great touch or intelligence. I expect those phrases would be high up on the list after 10 minutes of watching El Miz or Bishop or Lankester

This team would be very much acceptable for a League One promotion push on 08:25 - Aug 13 with 3790 viewsBluefish

This team would be very much acceptable for a League One promotion push on 08:11 - Aug 13 by itfcjoe

It's the Jon Nolan effect - so safe in possession, he moves it a bit quicker than most but does so safely. the others move it so slowly it's very easy to defend against. Predictable

That is the Lambert way, it is the only thing he has brought to the side. Passing triangles on the half way line, MK Don's away last season was a great example. 1st half MK didn't show up at all, we should have scored 5 but we spent most of the game passing in triangles on half way while they stood off us

"The day Hurst took over" on 08:33 - Aug 13 with 3784 viewsDyland

This team would be very much acceptable for a League One promotion push on 13:51 - Aug 12 by Bluefish

Since the day Hurst took over our biggest issue has been linking the midfield to the forwards. To be fair we had a spell under Mick when Murphy left when we had this as well because Pitman didn't have any hold up play. Mick solved this with Garner to provide the hold up or draw a foul and waggy to he the link man superbly. When they went it was gone and has never come back.

Your team still doesn't do this, Graham will do the hold up well to a degree but mobility could be an issue but Edwards, Jackson and Sears would be running around like headless chickens. I would rather see Lankester and Dobra fill those gaps with Bishop or el mizouni, players that are far less 1 dimensional

Sounds like a b-movie horror. Somehow appropriate.

ffs

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

This team would be very much acceptable for a League One promotion push on 08:50 - Aug 13 with 3775 viewsitfcjoe

This team would be very much acceptable for a League One promotion push on 08:21 - Aug 13 by Bluefish

I'm not sure what you are seeing there. Sears is likable but if you ask everyone to describe him the top choice will be hard working, it will be low down the list before you get to great touch or intelligence. I expect those phrases would be high up on the list after 10 minutes of watching El Miz or Bishop or Lankester

That Sears can play anywhere really and play a disciplined role with good positioning, clever running etc

Lambert Praise For Sears and Skuse 30th Nov 2018 12:37
Blues manager Paul Lambert has reiterated his praise for striker Freddie Sears and midfielder Cole Skuse, the two standout performers during his time at Town so far. 7

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024