Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Bristol Rovers Match 11:32 - Sep 7 with 1212 viewsgeg1992

The one thing I noticed, that has got me hopeful for this season, is how quickly we were to attack and be positive.

So many times last season, we'd have the ball, but we'd be so slow to work it through to the attack, that the opposition defence were already really organised by the time we got near their box.

On Saturday, we played lovely through balls often, and many attacks were quick and precise. Lovely to see! Hopefully it continues.

Poll: Who would you play in place of Burns on Sunday?

Bristol Rovers Match on 11:37 - Sep 7 with 1174 viewshype313

It was lovely to see, and a real Tonic compared to recent events, however we have to take into context the level of opposition, our rivals for the top 6 won't give us that much time to thread killer balls through.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Bristol Rovers Match on 11:38 - Sep 7 with 1163 viewsgeg1992

Bristol Rovers Match on 11:37 - Sep 7 by hype313

It was lovely to see, and a real Tonic compared to recent events, however we have to take into context the level of opposition, our rivals for the top 6 won't give us that much time to thread killer balls through.

Very true, many teams will also play a lot more defensive, where there won't be the space to exploit. Although hopefully Oli Hawkins will help us in those situations, with the height we lacked last season.

Poll: Who would you play in place of Burns on Sunday?

Bristol Rovers Match on 11:40 - Sep 7 with 1150 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

Also, I don't feel like we were peppering their goal.

Sears dallied and had a shot blocked, Ward forced a good save but I wouldn't say we looked full of goals.

Two goals were tap ins with Rovers sleeping. But you could argue we did really well to create those situations.

It was as good as we could have hoped for in the circumstances but still didn't quite feel like we cut them apart through our endeavours, more their problems.

Some of the exchanges down either flank were lovely and again that may have been because of their formation.

Poll: How many points from 18 would Lambert need to have to actually be sacked?
Blog: Ipswich Town and the Rotten Kitchen Cupboards

Bristol Rovers Match on 11:41 - Sep 7 with 1138 viewshype313

Bristol Rovers Match on 11:38 - Sep 7 by geg1992

Very true, many teams will also play a lot more defensive, where there won't be the space to exploit. Although hopefully Oli Hawkins will help us in those situations, with the height we lacked last season.

He certainly adds another dimension to our game as we were very one dimensional last season, we never seem to have a plan b, c, d or anything else.

I firmly believe he will be someone to come of the bench for the last 15-20 minutes if the game is tight and we need a goal.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Bristol Rovers Match on 11:51 - Sep 7 with 1084 viewsSwansea_Blue

Possession with penetration, as it’s known. Lovely stuff! I haven’t seen us attack the spaces like that for years.

Only caveat is that a better team (of which we’ll face many) wouldn’t give us the time on the ball or the space. Rovers were woeful. But you can only beat what’s in front of you. I just hope it’s not a false dawn.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Bristol Rovers Match on 13:44 - Sep 7 with 901 viewsParisBlue

That's what Bishop and Dozzell give us. It may not always work but they are generally looking for forward passes or forward running and not slowing the game down.

Libraries gave us power
Poll: Which position in the table will we be after Saturday?

Bristol Rovers Match on 13:47 - Sep 7 with 886 viewsFreddies_Ears

Bristol Rovers Match on 13:44 - Sep 7 by ParisBlue

That's what Bishop and Dozzell give us. It may not always work but they are generally looking for forward passes or forward running and not slowing the game down.

Two FBs having a fab game really helped too. They both got forward and showed real purpose, which stretched the Rivers defence. That created enough gaps in the middle for others to exploit.
Bristol Rovers Match on 13:55 - Sep 7 with 868 viewsclive_baker

Absolutely. 2 big contributors to that for me:

1) Fullbacks. Not to be underestimated in the modern game. For so long an after thought, where you put your sh1t, hungover ringer on a Sunday morning, it's now the single most important position on the pitch IMO, especially for a 'footballing' side. Both in terms of shape, and building plays from the back and allowing a midfield 3. Ward & Chambers did really well on Saturday. Ward and KVY is even more promising as a prospect. Huge step on from last season, they need to be our Robertson and Trent A-A (OK, stop laughing).

2) Dynamism in the midfield. There's a role for only one of Skuse / Huws / Dozzell, but they'll need to be flanked with busier, agile foragers that can create. Bishop, Downes, Nolan et al. We need to be busy and hard to play against. Too many times last season was like watching static road cones in the midfield. Far, far too easy to play against.

I'm quietly optimistic based on Saturday, although we do have to curb that with the reality that Rovers looked crap. Long season for them on that evidence.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024