Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Supporting the EFL (sorry it’s a bit long) 19:50 - Sep 29 with 1277 viewsbluefunk

So Sept 30th is the day the Premier League (PL) meet to decide whether they will help out the EFL with some crumbs off their fully laden table. The debate has been held so far across the media, both social and otherwise and has been illuminated with some memorable interventions, but none as spectacularly entitled as the interview given by Sean Dyche.

To summarise, for those who may not have seen the full text, Mr Dyche tried to encapsulate one element of the Premier League’s reluctance, namely that there are many clubs in the EFL which have been badly run and they (the PL) shouldn’t have to bail them out, by likening football to hedge fund managers, the successful ones being those in his metaphorical Premier League and the unsuccessful ones languishing the the hedge fund lower divisions - leaving no one in any doubt that there would be no hedge fund manager bailouts (which is pretty accurate to be fair).

What is so grossly offensive about Dyche and his opinions is the total lack of self awareness he displayed, since Dyche’s background is a summary of the reasons why the Premier League should bail out the EFL. Dyche earned his living at EFL clubs, got his first coaching job, his first assistant manager’s and his first manager’s job at an EFL club, and only made his way to the PL because he got promoted. Now that last achievement isn’t to be derided, but it was the EFL and the football pyramid that gave him that opportunity (yes, another one). Short memory eh Sean?

So, no need to frame this “appeal” to the PL as a moral imperative, although there is a moral dimension, it’s really about self interest. Let’s just list the current PL players who’ve had some of their development supported by an EFL club, or who started there. From Raheem Sterling and Harry McGuire to Harry Kane and Kyle Walker at the top level, to Maddison, Fraser, Vardy... well you get the picture.

Will the PL do the right thing, will they give the EFL a sum which represents a little over a quarter of the amount they will apparently spend on just 22 players, or will they sit in their ivory towers, comfortable in the success they believe they have earned - for anyone who believes in the power of football and it’s place in local communities we can only hope that sense prevails.
Supporting the EFL (sorry it’s a bit long) on 19:52 - Sep 29 with 1254 viewsJ2BLUE

Lost a lot of respect for Dyche when he came out with that rubbish.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Supporting the EFL (sorry it’s a bit long) on 20:24 - Sep 29 with 1204 viewsSuffolktractor

Unfortunately, when pigs have their nose’s in the trough, they are unlikely to give any of their food away.
Supporting the EFL (sorry it’s a bit long) on 20:37 - Sep 29 with 1177 views66notout

Supporting the EFL (sorry it’s a bit long) on 20:24 - Sep 29 by Suffolktractor

Unfortunately, when pigs have their nose’s in the trough, they are unlikely to give any of their food away.

Agree with your sentiment but you didn’t need that apostrophe in noses.
Supporting the EFL (sorry it’s a bit long) on 20:43 - Sep 29 with 1171 viewsSitfcB

He’s upset that he hasn’t had any money to spend I reckon. Another whingy to$$er.

Burnley were said have been near to going bust had football not returned when it did. How have they managed that? Doubt they pay big wages and don’t exactly spend big. Something dodgy going on shirley.

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Supporting the EFL (sorry it’s a bit long) on 21:51 - Sep 29 with 1088 viewsJohnny_Boy

Supporting the EFL (sorry it’s a bit long) on 19:52 - Sep 29 by J2BLUE

Lost a lot of respect for Dyche when he came out with that rubbish.

I understand his hands are quite tied regarding transfer fees - but.......he manages Burnley.
If he wants to spend silly money (which I do think he’s earned the right to), he needs to find another club with looser purse strings.

His comments lack a bit of class. Majority of that squad have been assembled from lower leagues. He’s also spent time managing down the tier too.
Supporting the EFL (sorry it’s a bit long) on 22:41 - Sep 29 with 1013 viewsSuffolktractor

Supporting the EFL (sorry it’s a bit long) on 20:37 - Sep 29 by 66notout

Agree with your sentiment but you didn’t need that apostrophe in noses.

Thanks for that, I spent ages mulling over my grammar, yet still made that stupid mistake.
Embarrassing.
Supporting the EFL (sorry it’s a bit long) on 22:59 - Sep 29 with 984 viewsOldsmoker

Supporting the EFL (sorry it’s a bit long) on 22:41 - Sep 29 by Suffolktractor

Thanks for that, I spent ages mulling over my grammar, yet still made that stupid mistake.
Embarrassing.

To err is human.
I always look past the spelling and grammar mistakes and look for the meaning.
Your error does not detract from your point which is a good one.
Uppy awarded to your original post.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

Supporting the EFL (sorry it’s a bit long) on 23:19 - Sep 29 with 967 viewsSuffolktractor

Supporting the EFL (sorry it’s a bit long) on 22:59 - Sep 29 by Oldsmoker

To err is human.
I always look past the spelling and grammar mistakes and look for the meaning.
Your error does not detract from your point which is a good one.
Uppy awarded to your original post.

Thank you for the uppy, whatever that may be!
The more I look at my original post, the more I can not believe I put an apostrophe in noses.
Login to get fewer ads

Supporting the EFL (sorry it’s a bit long) on 00:23 - Sep 30 with 927 viewsjeera

Supporting the EFL (sorry it’s a bit long) on 23:19 - Sep 29 by Suffolktractor

Thank you for the uppy, whatever that may be!
The more I look at my original post, the more I can not believe I put an apostrophe in noses.

There is no shame in the odd edit!

Just go back, change it, and tell the others posters you have no idea what they're on about.

Ok, might be a bit late for this thread now, but next time.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Supporting the EFL (sorry it’s a bit long) on 09:57 - Sep 30 with 729 viewsPendejo

Supporting the EFL (sorry it’s a bit long) on 21:51 - Sep 29 by Johnny_Boy

I understand his hands are quite tied regarding transfer fees - but.......he manages Burnley.
If he wants to spend silly money (which I do think he’s earned the right to), he needs to find another club with looser purse strings.

His comments lack a bit of class. Majority of that squad have been assembled from lower leagues. He’s also spent time managing down the tier too.

Not to forget this is a snapshot in time.

Reframe that snapshot over past periods and who would be caught in that rame?
Massive Citeh - 3rd tier in mid 90s
Dirty Leeds - 3rd tier within last 10 years
Buurnleh - used to frequent bottom tier of EFL and almost fell out of the league
Leicester - took a tour of 3rd before their amazing prem win
Brighton, Southampton, Wolves and Sheffield United have all had journeys into 3rd tier, 3 of them strayed as far as 4th tier in my life time.

So that's almost half of top tier that have fallen below 2nd tier in my lifetime.

But should we think that there's be any different outcome in a society that keeps repeating the mantra "I'm alright Jack" then pulls up the ladder.

Personally, I think it'd take the collapse of EFL to deflate the EPL and the wages therein. EPL and CL leagues / clubs seem to reside in the highest of Ivory towers, which makes Charitable works of the players within, such as Rashford all the more laudable.

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Supporting the EFL (sorry it’s a bit long) on 10:17 - Sep 30 with 706 viewsTJS

Sadly a few seasons in the Premier League and some of these fairly small town clubs suddenly think they're Barcelona.
You can judge a team's core support best in bad times and Burnley's is about 10k at best.
I can't blame the really big clubs but the total lack of solidarity from clubs who have spent 90% of the last 40 years outside the top division is astonishing.
The fact that these clubs (i.e Norwich) actually choose to enter their U21 teams in a competition which was specifically designed to have a wembley final for the bottom two divisions says it all.
Supporting the EFL (sorry it’s a bit long) on 10:22 - Sep 30 with 697 viewsMetal_Hacker

Supporting the EFL (sorry it’s a bit long) on 10:17 - Sep 30 by TJS

Sadly a few seasons in the Premier League and some of these fairly small town clubs suddenly think they're Barcelona.
You can judge a team's core support best in bad times and Burnley's is about 10k at best.
I can't blame the really big clubs but the total lack of solidarity from clubs who have spent 90% of the last 40 years outside the top division is astonishing.
The fact that these clubs (i.e Norwich) actually choose to enter their U21 teams in a competition which was specifically designed to have a wembley final for the bottom two divisions says it all.

I think the general cliche that should be used here is , be nice to people on the way up because you'll meet 'em on the way down

Short sighted by a lot of people and a lot of governing bodies

Poll: If it were one or the other

Supporting the EFL (sorry it’s a bit long) on 12:04 - Sep 30 with 638 viewsJohnny_Boy

Supporting the EFL (sorry it’s a bit long) on 09:57 - Sep 30 by Pendejo

Not to forget this is a snapshot in time.

Reframe that snapshot over past periods and who would be caught in that rame?
Massive Citeh - 3rd tier in mid 90s
Dirty Leeds - 3rd tier within last 10 years
Buurnleh - used to frequent bottom tier of EFL and almost fell out of the league
Leicester - took a tour of 3rd before their amazing prem win
Brighton, Southampton, Wolves and Sheffield United have all had journeys into 3rd tier, 3 of them strayed as far as 4th tier in my life time.

So that's almost half of top tier that have fallen below 2nd tier in my lifetime.

But should we think that there's be any different outcome in a society that keeps repeating the mantra "I'm alright Jack" then pulls up the ladder.

Personally, I think it'd take the collapse of EFL to deflate the EPL and the wages therein. EPL and CL leagues / clubs seem to reside in the highest of Ivory towers, which makes Charitable works of the players within, such as Rashford all the more laudable.

The ladder terminology is an interesting one.

There were worried discussions of the PL offering a rescue package to the EFL, but there were many stipulations - most of which I’m unsure would have any legal recourse. Such as The Championship being forced to introduce a wage-cap. Another hurdle to jump just to get into the Premiership - and something else to help the already established Premiership clubs.

The Premier League 2 will become a reality sooner rather than later.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024