Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The current rapid infection rate 16:27 - Oct 7 with 4237 viewshype313

Given Manchester, Liverpool, Leeds, Newcastle etc are seeing huge dramatic rise in cases, is their an argument to say that it ripped through the South in Feb/March/April and got stopped in its tracks by the lockdown, before being able to then hit heartlands that were not affected?

I saw a picture of the UK earlier with green, amber and red, and the majority of cases are in the north.

Or is it not as nuanced as that?

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

The current rapid infection rate on 11:00 - Oct 8 with 614 viewsStokieBlue

The current rapid infection rate on 20:59 - Oct 7 by BudapestByBlimp

I live in a "lockdown" area and it certainly isn't locked down - just minor restrictions. Everyone still going to work/school etc. Schools don't publicly release figures of Covid cases and only people within (I'm led to believe) a 6 foot radius of the infected pupil will be sent home. I can go to work in my office, travel to a depot, make deliveries to hospitals, prison, libraries and many of the staff in these locations aren't wearing any face covering with many not even attempting social distancing - although as cases have risen more people are slowly becoming compliant. Everything else still open - shops, pubs, restaurants, leisure centres, cinemas etc.

If we really want to limit the virus there does need to be a proper lockdown and for much longer than 2 weeks. We also need to accept this is not about individual rights but rather a common, social responsibility to halt thousands of preventable deaths.

I don't think that's right about schools.

Most schools are sending home the entire year group if someone has a confirmed infection.

Also worth noting that the latest research is leaning towards younger kids not being a huge vector of transmission. It's possible some of the increase is driven by secondary school kids being back at school though.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

The current rapid infection rate on 21:27 - Oct 8 with 553 viewsFrimleyBlue

My guess on this.

Wave 1 started south. Slowly went north.

Wave 2 starting in North going south

Something I think could be key here.

Different reasons why it's started in different places...but for me

Football. Sport and things like theatres were all open in the south and foot traffic was very heavy during the first wave before lockdown.

Now add that to foot traffic for work in central London its no shock it started down south.

Up north.. imo it's more of a social wave of covid going rou d more social groups etc than there are down south. South for me is sport. Work. Theatres etc.
North is work. Social.

If they start opening up football stadiums for supporters etc and the footfall using the tubes etc increases.. the use of pubs. Restaurants etc increases down south. Then we would see the high numbers of covid down south

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

The current rapid infection rate on 21:36 - Oct 8 with 545 viewsMullet

The current rapid infection rate on 11:00 - Oct 8 by StokieBlue

I don't think that's right about schools.

Most schools are sending home the entire year group if someone has a confirmed infection.

Also worth noting that the latest research is leaning towards younger kids not being a huge vector of transmission. It's possible some of the increase is driven by secondary school kids being back at school though.

SB

Not any more. The advice is actually anyone who has been in a certain radious for a certain time.

Some schools are sticking to one case = whole bubble off but you need to have two cases in the same bubble simultaneously to send them home.

Likewise you need staffing levels to drop below a safe amount to close the school.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

The current rapid infection rate on 22:44 - Oct 8 with 518 viewsBloomBlue

The current rapid infection rate on 21:27 - Oct 8 by FrimleyBlue

My guess on this.

Football. Sport and things like theatres were all open in the south and foot traffic was very heavy during the first wave before lockdown.

Now add that to foot traffic for work in central London its no shock it started down south.

Up north.. imo it's more of a social wave of covid going rou d more social groups etc than there are down south. South for me is sport. Work. Theatres etc.
North is work. Social.

If they start opening up football stadiums for supporters etc and the footfall using the tubes etc increases.. the use of pubs. Restaurants etc increases down south. Then we would see the high numbers of covid down south

They (Mayor's office) are warning tonight London could go into some form of additional lockdown very soon because the infection rates are now reaching those high levels.
The current rapid infection rate on 09:04 - Oct 9 with 476 viewsipswichpepper

The current rapid infection rate on 22:44 - Oct 8 by BloomBlue

They (Mayor's office) are warning tonight London could go into some form of additional lockdown very soon because the infection rates are now reaching those high levels.

I guess stadiums can be demolished, football with spectators might return in 2056.
The current rapid infection rate on 09:20 - Oct 9 with 469 viewsSaleAway

The current rapid infection rate on 21:27 - Oct 8 by FrimleyBlue

My guess on this.

North is work. Social.

"South for me is sport. Work. Theatres etc.
North is work. Social."

wow - put your stereotypes away for a bit, eh? - the reason that the North has a second wave is because of the absolute ignorance like this of southerners about anything that isn't on their doorstep.

The north doesn't do sport? Doesn't have culture?

Not sure if you've ever noticed that England's most successful football clubs are all based up here... that yorkshire would have finished 12th in the 2012 olympic medal table if it was a country. That Manchester has been the hotbed of live music in britain for decades

The first wave started in the south because London is a massive international transport hub, and so will have had most of the starter cases... the 2nd wave started in the north because the national lockdown was eased up as soon as the south had low numbers of cases.... it was still prevalent up here.

Poll: Which is less impressive?
Blog: Phoenix From the Flames

The current rapid infection rate on 09:24 - Oct 9 with 461 viewshype313

The current rapid infection rate on 09:20 - Oct 9 by SaleAway

"South for me is sport. Work. Theatres etc.
North is work. Social."

wow - put your stereotypes away for a bit, eh? - the reason that the North has a second wave is because of the absolute ignorance like this of southerners about anything that isn't on their doorstep.

The north doesn't do sport? Doesn't have culture?

Not sure if you've ever noticed that England's most successful football clubs are all based up here... that yorkshire would have finished 12th in the 2012 olympic medal table if it was a country. That Manchester has been the hotbed of live music in britain for decades

The first wave started in the south because London is a massive international transport hub, and so will have had most of the starter cases... the 2nd wave started in the north because the national lockdown was eased up as soon as the south had low numbers of cases.... it was still prevalent up here.

Current estimates say that up to 200k people a day were getting infected Feb/March in London.

Like you say, it's nothing to do with Sport, Culture etc that is complete nonsense, I think we are seeing an outbreak due the the pause from lockdown and Universities all going back.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

The current rapid infection rate on 09:35 - Oct 9 with 447 viewsStokieBlue

The current rapid infection rate on 09:24 - Oct 9 by hype313

Current estimates say that up to 200k people a day were getting infected Feb/March in London.

Like you say, it's nothing to do with Sport, Culture etc that is complete nonsense, I think we are seeing an outbreak due the the pause from lockdown and Universities all going back.

Where did you see that figure?

It can't be right. The estimates I've seen are at most 17% of London have had it so at your 200,000 a day in London that would be all London cases that there have so far been in less than 7 days.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Login to get fewer ads

The current rapid infection rate on 09:49 - Oct 9 with 436 viewsbrazil1982

A cursory look at the data maps shows large areas of infection centered around University Halls, for example Oadby in Leicester.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024