Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Has Southgate lost the plot? 23:35 - Oct 14 with 3652 viewsWoolfenthen

5 right backs in the squad
Brings on Calvert Lewin and plays him on the left, so why not introduce Grealish
Looking for a goal so brings on Henderson
Maguire clearly struggling mentally and for form so why pick him?

Has Southgate lost the plot? on 12:06 - Oct 15 with 547 viewsN2_Blue

Has Southgate lost the plot? on 11:04 - Oct 15 by itfcjoe

Personally I'd have had it slightly different - not a fan of 3 at the back. But before Maguire was sent off Mason Mount had got in 3-4 times down their left flank and we looked the side most likely (against a stubborn Denmark side who don't lose or concede many)

And then Maguire happened, I thought it was a blessing in disguise when he felt his hamstring and should have seen him withdrawn. But he wasn't and it cost us the game - as well as some atrocious refereeing.

A real shame, as the Belgium win was one of our best wins in 15 years or so, beating a top team in a competitive game just seldom happens - and after a poor first half we made adjustments.

I don't particularly like the double pivot, but the front 3 get a lot of licence to attack and think international football is won in the transitions and we are very sharp on the break

double pivot??

Since when did football start using this term? I heard Darren Fletcher banging on about it on MOTD as well. I think he used the word pivot about 10 times in a few minutes. I don't think I'd ever heard it being used to describe holding/defensive midfielders ever before this season.

The game has gone if we start using this kind of guff

Poll: Is it now time to sack Paul Cook?

Has Southgate lost the plot? on 12:09 - Oct 15 with 538 viewsstonojnr

Has Southgate lost the plot? on 09:07 - Oct 15 by IpswichKnight

That ref was awful lost count of the number of pull backs and shirt grabs that he gave a foul for but are automatic yellow cards, wasn't surprised to hear we got another red card after the game had finished for telling him he was cr@p.

Ref's awfulness doesn't hid the fact that we struggled to create anything of any real note from open play, just shows how much we miss Stirling and Sancho out wide.

but I dont know that makes the ref awful as such, technically and strictly by the book all those decisions were correct,and UEFA encourage refs in these games & tournaments to go by the book.

the only one he got technically wrong rather than pundits that were never a penalty etc etc was he didnt book a Danish player for a tackle on Kane, and then booked an England player, but we dont know if there were words said as the England players seemed to be losing the experienced heads of someone saying to cool it down.

but the problem and it crops up everytime in a major tournament, is we as fans insist refs in this country allow tackles like what Maguire did without even a free kick let alone a booking, he got the ball whats the problem, and so English players build their games and decisions to tackle on that, and when they come up against a UEFA schooled ref, complain all the decisions are wrong. Crouch & Shearer were forever caught like that with fouls in England games, that English officials in league games never awarded against them.

just watch a Spanish league game to see the difference, you wont see a Maguire style tackle at all, and if you do they get booked or ultimately sent off just as he was.
Has Southgate lost the plot? on 12:12 - Oct 15 with 531 viewsitfcjoe

Has Southgate lost the plot? on 12:09 - Oct 15 by stonojnr

but I dont know that makes the ref awful as such, technically and strictly by the book all those decisions were correct,and UEFA encourage refs in these games & tournaments to go by the book.

the only one he got technically wrong rather than pundits that were never a penalty etc etc was he didnt book a Danish player for a tackle on Kane, and then booked an England player, but we dont know if there were words said as the England players seemed to be losing the experienced heads of someone saying to cool it down.

but the problem and it crops up everytime in a major tournament, is we as fans insist refs in this country allow tackles like what Maguire did without even a free kick let alone a booking, he got the ball whats the problem, and so English players build their games and decisions to tackle on that, and when they come up against a UEFA schooled ref, complain all the decisions are wrong. Crouch & Shearer were forever caught like that with fouls in England games, that English officials in league games never awarded against them.

just watch a Spanish league game to see the difference, you wont see a Maguire style tackle at all, and if you do they get booked or ultimately sent off just as he was.

I'm not sure anyone is saying Maguire shouldn't have been sent off?

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Has Southgate lost the plot? on 12:15 - Oct 15 with 529 viewsstonojnr

Has Southgate lost the plot? on 23:57 - Oct 14 by OsborneOneNil

I know he’s going to big it up but he described England as ‘excellent’ before the red card, and ‘outstanding’ after the red card.

What?

Dull and bang average before the card, slightly better after with 10 men.

Strange choice of team, 2 DCM’s at home to Denmark. Means we lose a Sancho or a Grealish. But let’s face it, he’s never going to play Jack.

that was weird, there are reasons not to hang your players out for criticism,and to accentuate positives than be negative as the media will grab onto "splits in the camp", but sometimes you have to be realistic as well, he could have easily said it didnt meet the standards England set and was disappointed by the result and manner of the result, but to claim they played well (and frankly I thought they were just as poor against Belgium) is almost McCarthy levels of delusion

I dont know if he has lost the plot, or is just lumbered with a lots of squarer pegs for round holes than normal at the moment, but he's not filling me with confidence England are progressing
Has Southgate lost the plot? on 12:18 - Oct 15 with 524 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Has Southgate lost the plot? on 12:06 - Oct 15 by N2_Blue

double pivot??

Since when did football start using this term? I heard Darren Fletcher banging on about it on MOTD as well. I think he used the word pivot about 10 times in a few minutes. I don't think I'd ever heard it being used to describe holding/defensive midfielders ever before this season.

I can imagine someone saying the same about inside forwards in the 50’s

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Has Southgate lost the plot? on 12:40 - Oct 15 with 504 viewsOsborneOneNil

Has Southgate lost the plot? on 12:15 - Oct 15 by stonojnr

that was weird, there are reasons not to hang your players out for criticism,and to accentuate positives than be negative as the media will grab onto "splits in the camp", but sometimes you have to be realistic as well, he could have easily said it didnt meet the standards England set and was disappointed by the result and manner of the result, but to claim they played well (and frankly I thought they were just as poor against Belgium) is almost McCarthy levels of delusion

I dont know if he has lost the plot, or is just lumbered with a lots of squarer pegs for round holes than normal at the moment, but he's not filling me with confidence England are progressing

Yeah right, very odd. I've stuck up for him in the past, quite liked the direction he was taking us, but last night was the first time he has seemed to be slightly 'losing it' in his post match interview. Often talks absolute sense, not last night, last night he was talking bollox.
Has Southgate lost the plot? on 13:22 - Oct 15 with 494 viewsTJS

Given he was the first manager to get us to a world cup semi-final since Bobby Robson as far as I'm concerned he has got a free pass to do whatever he thinks is best until after the next major tournament.
Has Southgate lost the plot? on 13:41 - Oct 15 with 485 viewsrickw

Has Southgate lost the plot? on 13:22 - Oct 15 by TJS

Given he was the first manager to get us to a world cup semi-final since Bobby Robson as far as I'm concerned he has got a free pass to do whatever he thinks is best until after the next major tournament.

Maybe, I didn't think we were great against Wales or Belgium either yet we got good results.
Portugal never look overly impressive yet won the last Euro's and Nations League so I think we can all forgive poor performances if it gives England a trophy, it's a shame though as I'd like to believe we have the players to outplay Denmark and even maybe that weakened Belgium team we played at the weekend.

Poll: Of the Non Favourites for ITFC managers job who would you prefer
Blog: Reasons for Relegation

Login to get fewer ads

Has Southgate lost the plot? on 13:51 - Oct 15 with 481 viewsTJS

Has Southgate lost the plot? on 13:41 - Oct 15 by rickw

Maybe, I didn't think we were great against Wales or Belgium either yet we got good results.
Portugal never look overly impressive yet won the last Euro's and Nations League so I think we can all forgive poor performances if it gives England a trophy, it's a shame though as I'd like to believe we have the players to outplay Denmark and even maybe that weakened Belgium team we played at the weekend.

The only thing that matters is results and performances at major tournaments.
Germany have shown this over decades - they have had poor results in qualifying/friendlies but look at their record in major tournaments.
Classic example - 2001 - lost 5-1 at home to England in qualifier - 2002 - world cup finalists.
Has Southgate lost the plot? on 15:25 - Oct 15 with 449 viewsronnyd

Has Southgate lost the plot? on 23:50 - Oct 14 by pointofblue

I think we’re really struggling on the left hand side with only Chilwell as a wing back. Of course Mings can play out there but more as a left back than wing back whilst James has had a run out at Chelsea in that position. With Shaw out of form/never really been a Southgate choice we are lacking in that area.

Can’t defend him for the rest of his choices though. He says he’ll pick on form so chooses Pickford and Maguire over Pope and Mings before playing three central defenders and two defensive midfielders at home to Denmark.

The only reason that Southgate picks Pickford over Pope is that Pickfords distribution and clearances are better than Pope. Pope is certainly the better, actual, traditional keeper for me. As for Maquire, he's not international standard. The Foxes must have rubbed their hands with glee when ManU came in with 80mill.
Has Southgate lost the plot? on 16:38 - Oct 15 with 428 viewsWickets

Has Southgate lost the plot? on 09:13 - Oct 15 by ITFCed

With the players he had in the squad, he should have gone with this:

Pope
Trent Coady Mings Saka
Henderson Rice
Sancho Grealish Rashford
DCL

It’s really not that difficult to pick a better team than the one he put out last night!

And there's me thinking that James and Mount where great early on and got behind the Danish defence almost at will putting several dangerous ball into the box but neither Kane of Rashford where switched on enough to cash in !!
Has Southgate lost the plot? on 16:52 - Oct 15 with 422 viewsWickets

Has Southgate lost the plot? on 11:04 - Oct 15 by itfcjoe

Personally I'd have had it slightly different - not a fan of 3 at the back. But before Maguire was sent off Mason Mount had got in 3-4 times down their left flank and we looked the side most likely (against a stubborn Denmark side who don't lose or concede many)

And then Maguire happened, I thought it was a blessing in disguise when he felt his hamstring and should have seen him withdrawn. But he wasn't and it cost us the game - as well as some atrocious refereeing.

A real shame, as the Belgium win was one of our best wins in 15 years or so, beating a top team in a competitive game just seldom happens - and after a poor first half we made adjustments.

I don't particularly like the double pivot, but the front 3 get a lot of licence to attack and think international football is won in the transitions and we are very sharp on the break

Yes Reece James and Mason Mount got behind the Danish defence almost at will several really good balls into the box but sorry to say the usually reliable Harry Kane and Marcus Rashford both failed to cash in .We should have converted at least one of those chances and then we would have then gone on to win. I thought Rashford was quiet all the match and Kane did much better second half but by then the writing was on the wall .
Has Southgate lost the plot? on 18:48 - Oct 15 with 408 viewsYallop

Has Southgate lost the plot? on 12:06 - Oct 15 by N2_Blue

double pivot??

Couldn't agree more. Leave those sort of terms for trampolining
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024