Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
goalkicks 09:20 - Oct 25 with 1054 viewsbrushhand

can someone please explain the concept behind passing the ball sideways at a goalkick, and what its supposed to achieve? please.
while we're at it, also what's a double pivot?
goalkicks on 09:23 - Oct 25 with 1050 viewsJon_456

Would you prefer us to launch it up to 5 of our 6 midfield / forward players under 6ft?
goalkicks on 10:24 - Oct 25 with 983 viewsbefxblue

If done correctly it draws the opposition midfield and defense higher up the pitch, leaving a lot of space behind to exploit with a well timed defence splitting pass. Simple in theory.
goalkicks on 10:26 - Oct 25 with 978 viewsDubtractor

goalkicks on 10:24 - Oct 25 by befxblue

If done correctly it draws the opposition midfield and defense higher up the pitch, leaving a lot of space behind to exploit with a well timed defence splitting pass. Simple in theory.

Yep. In theory it draws the opposition out for us to then quickly pass through them.

With our passing being so laboured though it just doesn't work. As has been noted already, Nolan was a particular problem with this yesterday.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

goalkicks on 10:49 - Oct 25 with 937 viewsblueislander

goalkicks on 10:26 - Oct 25 by Dubtractor

Yep. In theory it draws the opposition out for us to then quickly pass through them.

With our passing being so laboured though it just doesn't work. As has been noted already, Nolan was a particular problem with this yesterday.

It also presupposes that the players receiving the ball are comfortable with it. If they strode forward with the ball under control in would commit the opposition to challenge, again leaving space in our midfield. I can understand why Holy has been told not to lump it. Nearly every time he does that it either goes out of play or straight through to the opposing keeper.
goalkicks on 11:01 - Oct 25 with 920 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

It will never work effectively when the players aren’t brave enough on the ball, just gets recycled too much and we are back to square one with either Holy/Nsiala/Wilson

Poll: Would you be happy with Paul Lambert?

goalkicks on 11:03 - Oct 25 with 918 viewsKing_ding_a_lin_g

goalkicks on 10:26 - Oct 25 by Dubtractor

I've always preferred the 'win the second ball' approach. We're not good enough in possession yet to play this way and get away with it, evidently, and with Hawkins we should even be able to win a few of the first balls with quick runners in behind.
goalkicks on 11:04 - Oct 25 with 914 viewsPJH

It is good for possession stats ready for the day that they decide the result of a game rather than goals scored/conceded.
goalkicks on 11:13 - Oct 25 with 898 viewsjudespiveyg

Keeping the ball. Assuming your players can pass and move properly it's a much better way of starting an attack than lumping it halfway down the field in the hope that your centre forward heads it in the right direction.

I survived Ipswich 0-0 Burton

Login to get fewer ads

goalkicks on 11:15 - Oct 25 with 891 viewspennyfathersleg

Surely that would mean getting into the opposition's half though!!
goalkicks on 15:08 - Oct 25 with 768 viewslongtimefan

The one that really annoys me is when we get a free kick in the opposition half and instead of sending forward our central defenders and actually getting the ball in opposition box (a rare thing these days) We take it short and generally end up with Holy receiving the ball
goalkicks on 15:43 - Oct 25 with 718 viewsmrfixit426

goalkicks on 11:03 - Oct 25 by King_ding_a_lin_g

I've always preferred the 'win the second ball' approach. We're not good enough in possession yet to play this way and get away with it, evidently, and with Hawkins we should even be able to win a few of the first balls with quick runners in behind.

I see there are still some Charles Hughes devotees kicking about.
goalkicks on 15:49 - Oct 25 with 708 viewsbobbyramsey

goalkicks on 15:08 - Oct 25 by longtimefan

The one that really annoys me is when we get a free kick in the opposition half and instead of sending forward our central defenders and actually getting the ball in opposition box (a rare thing these days) We take it short and generally end up with Holy receiving the ball

What really annoyed me yesterday was when a goal down and four minutes to go, four Town players decided to have a game of "tippy-tappy" around Holys box without an opposition player in sight.....
[Post edited 25 Oct 2020 15:50]
goalkicks on 16:47 - Oct 25 with 669 viewsstrikalite

goalkicks on 11:15 - Oct 25 by pennyfathersleg

Surely that would mean getting into the opposition's half though!!

This is the problem, the MM approach isn't so good on the eye, and you get that dreaded long ball team tag too, but it does allow you to get up the pitch and either pick up the second ball from there or simply win it back...you play to the strength of your players, of course the top teams in the Prem can do it, much more riskier with us though..
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024