Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Mayor of Paris encouraging Parisians to boycott Amazon 06:00 - Nov 9 with 1350 viewssolomon

Not a bad shout to be fair.
Mayor of Paris encouraging Parisians to boycott Amazon on 09:12 - Nov 9 with 1194 viewsmonytowbray

I did that on here a couple of months ago and everyone just said “but it’s so quick and convenient” so meh.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Mayor of Paris encouraging Parisians to boycott Amazon on 09:57 - Nov 9 with 1124 viewsnoggin

Most people are happy to turn a blind eye to tax avoidance, if it saves them a few bob. The same people probably complain about the under funding of public services.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Mayor of Paris encouraging Parisians to boycott Amazon on 09:59 - Nov 9 with 1117 viewsmonytowbray

Mayor of Paris encouraging Parisians to boycott Amazon on 09:57 - Nov 9 by noggin

Most people are happy to turn a blind eye to tax avoidance, if it saves them a few bob. The same people probably complain about the under funding of public services.

And slavery of poor communities whilst extracting wealth from said areas. And anti-competitive practices via stealing competitor data.

I’m sat here like “Well done Jeff, you won the game of making all the money, now can we reset the monopoly board now please?” but Jeff says no.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Mayor of Paris encouraging Parisians to boycott Amazon on 09:59 - Nov 9 with 1120 viewsBent_double

Haven't bought anything from them for years, other online companies, yes, just not Amazon.

Poll: So what do we think will happen with MM and the Aston Villa job?

Mayor of Paris encouraging Parisians to boycott Amazon on 10:39 - Nov 9 with 1073 viewsGeoffSentence

Mayor of Paris encouraging Parisians to boycott Amazon on 09:57 - Nov 9 by noggin

I don't think it is even about saving a few bob, Amazon are no cheaper and often more expensive, it is more about the convenience.

I dislike Amazon and it's tax avoidance policies, I am not sure what the current situation is but a couple of years ago I was paying something like four times as much income tax as amazon paid in UK corporation tax, but I still use them, mainly for e-books.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Mayor of Paris encouraging Parisians to boycott Amazon on 11:27 - Nov 9 with 1032 viewsGuthrum

Mayor of Paris encouraging Parisians to boycott Amazon on 10:39 - Nov 9 by GeoffSentence

I don't think it is even about saving a few bob, Amazon are no cheaper and often more expensive, it is more about the convenience.

I dislike Amazon and it's tax avoidance policies, I am not sure what the current situation is but a couple of years ago I was paying something like four times as much income tax as amazon paid in UK corporation tax, but I still use them, mainly for e-books.

It's also a matter of alternatives.

As the High Street declines, there are fewer options to "just nip to the shops" and get something you need. It's not just online to blame. For example Maplin had been doing mail order for decades before Amazon was even thought of. But that went.

A combination of supermarket giants who try to sell everything and soaring rents has probably done as much to undermine the small retailer as Amazon. Plus nobody has time to go out shopping during normal (9 to 5) opening hours, what with families where all the adults work and possibly have to commute before and after. Opening at the weekend increases overheads, as you need more staff to cover the extra days.

If Amazon were abolished, somebody would have to reinvent it in pretty short order.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Mayor of Paris encouraging Parisians to boycott Amazon on 11:27 - Nov 9 with 1031 viewsKingsCrossBlue

Mayor of Paris encouraging Parisians to boycott Amazon on 10:39 - Nov 9 by GeoffSentence

Yeah, it’s a tough one. Tax avoiding scoundrels vs convenience.

Until recently my girlfriend worked at Amazon in logistics, and the lengths I’d hear to keep customers happy were insane. One Christmas Eve, regardless of parcel value, she was booking taxi’s to get deliveries in time for Christmas Day. £60 taxi for a parcel with a value of £2.

I don’t like them as a company as they will slowly take over the world. But that level of customer service is incredible.
Mayor of Paris encouraging Parisians to boycott Amazon on 11:34 - Nov 9 with 1012 viewsKing_of_Portman_Rd

I’ve not used Amazon at all in 2020 (which has been a bit of an inconvenience at times, but I stand by it)

My reasoning is the fact they sell T-shirt’s with the slogan “Blue lives Murder” and other products that are heavily critical of the police. This does violate their own terms, but after the BLM protests they were clearly making some serious coin from these products so conveniently turned a blind eye in preference to lining their already bulging pockets
Login to get fewer ads

Mayor of Paris encouraging Parisians to boycott Amazon on 19:52 - Nov 11 with 740 viewsRyorry

Mayor of Paris encouraging Parisians to boycott Amazon on 11:27 - Nov 9 by Guthrum

It's also a matter of alternatives.

As the High Street declines, there are fewer options to "just nip to the shops" and get something you need. It's not just online to blame. For example Maplin had been doing mail order for decades before Amazon was even thought of. But that went.

A combination of supermarket giants who try to sell everything and soaring rents has probably done as much to undermine the small retailer as Amazon. Plus nobody has time to go out shopping during normal (9 to 5) opening hours, what with families where all the adults work and possibly have to commute before and after. Opening at the weekend increases overheads, as you need more staff to cover the extra days.

If Amazon were abolished, somebody would have to reinvent it in pretty short order.

It's not just those things either, it's the sheer difficulty of sourcing hard to find, unusual items without spending a whole afternoon looking - and then finding what you want, only to discover that the alternative retailer will only use Hermes as couriers - aaargh.

(Am boycotting Hermes owing to their shocking unreliability and the literal impossibility of contacting them when items end up chucked into a garden 2 miles away, lying there in the pouring rain getting ruined).

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Mayor of Paris encouraging Parisians to boycott Amazon on 21:18 - Nov 11 with 680 viewswoiii

The only things I've ever bought online are a couple of books on Amazon when I absolutely needed them ASAP for work. Usually I order from my local waterstones (over the counter), and buy / order everything in shops. Apart from music of course, which I steal from utube
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024