Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Our defence on Tuesday... 09:51 - Nov 22 with 1882 viewspointofblue

I think I’d honestly prefer to see Donacien come in for McGuinness with Chambers switching to centre back. Obviously Woolfenden replaces Nsiala. Both Nsiala and McGuinness are clumsy and risk giving away possession or fouls too often is dangerous positions.

Obviously the above will never happen as Lambert has a blind spot when it comes to Donacien, even though he was probably our best defender against a Portsmouth.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Our defence on Tuesday... on 09:55 - Nov 22 with 1862 viewsbournemouthblue

That was McGuiness' first really bad game, he had a bit of a calamity and looked like he was going to give them a goal at some point

Perhaps Wolfie calms him a bit more?

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Our defence on Tuesday... on 09:57 - Nov 22 with 1846 viewsgordon

Donacien - Chambers - Woolfenden - Ward

Would be the best back four.

By the way, Ward looks pretty average to me, slow, and caught out of position more that he ought to be. Probably better option than Kenlock, but he really isn't any great shakes.
Our defence on Tuesday... on 10:01 - Nov 22 with 1830 viewsBasuco

Is there a recurring serious threat from the right back position? Yesterday Ward was out of position with no cover from midfield to help out either. I would not want to appear to criticise Stephen Ward because you cannot see his work off the ball from tv, but Shrewsbury attacked a lot more down our left side and targeted getting in behind SW.
Our defence on Tuesday... on 10:02 - Nov 22 with 1829 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

Our defence on Tuesday... on 09:57 - Nov 22 by gordon

By the way, Ward looks pretty average to me, slow, and caught out of position more that he ought to be. Probably better option than Kenlock, but he really isn't any great shakes.

I think Ward has been fine. Decent at this level. Hasn’t got the legs but we knew that at 35.

A really clever dummy in the second goal to let the ball run through to Judge.

Endeavours with his overlaps, stands a ball up well, overall think his defence positioning is good.

At League 1 he is more than capable. McGuinness and Nsiala were rather poor in my opinion.

Would agree with that back four, don’t think Donacien as poor as some make out, probably due to 750k price tag next to his name.

Poll: Would you be happy with Paul Lambert?

Our defence on Tuesday... on 10:03 - Nov 22 with 1825 viewspointofblue

Our defence on Tuesday... on 09:55 - Nov 22 by bournemouthblue

That was McGuiness' first really bad game, he had a bit of a calamity and looked like he was going to give them a goal at some point

Perhaps Wolfie calms him a bit more?

Wasn’t he to blame for not just the penalty but also the two subsequent appeals which probably should have been given? He also gave away a stupid foul for Portsmouth’s first and arguably didn’t close their man down fast enough for their second, leading to a weak deflection.

Admittedly he’s had some unfortunate luck - slipping for the first then the handball at Sunderland - but he seems to have things follow him around at the moment. He has potential but is he any better than Donacien? At this stage I’m not sure. And if in doubt surely we should be playing our player?

Our defence on Tuesday... on 10:03 - Nov 22 with 1826 viewsChrisd

McGuiness has played a handful of first team games and he's 19 years old and finding his feet in the professional game, he's going to make mistakes. When you have a CB next to him who is approaching near on 300 first team games an international with Congo you expect greater consistency, better judgement and decision making. I'm more willing to persevere with McGuiness, but we have to accept he's going to have peaks and troughs with his performance.
[Post edited 22 Nov 2020 10:29]

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Our defence on Tuesday... on 10:16 - Nov 22 with 1782 viewsITFCBlues

Our defence on Tuesday... on 10:03 - Nov 22 by Chrisd

McGuiness has played a handful of first team games and he's 19 years old and finding his feet in the professional game, he's going to make mistakes. When you have a CB next to him who is approaching near on 300 first team games an international with Congo you expect greater consistency, better judgement and decision making. I'm more willing to persevere with McGuiness, but we have to accept he's going to have peaks and troughs with his performance.

Why do we have to accept this? He's not our player so if we have better they should play

Poll: Has our squad been improved this summer?

Our defence on Tuesday... on 10:29 - Nov 22 with 1760 viewsChrisd

Our defence on Tuesday... on 10:16 - Nov 22 by ITFCBlues

Why do we have to accept this? He's not our player so if we have better they should play

You don't, it's an opinion and with football it's subjective. Like you've given yours suggesting we have better amongst our own players.

Login to get fewer ads

Our defence on Tuesday... on 10:30 - Nov 22 with 1752 viewsHerbivore

Our defence on Tuesday... on 10:03 - Nov 22 by Chrisd

McGuiness making regular mistakes and learning his trade is understandable if we will see the long term benefit is one thing, but he's not our player. Why should we persevere with him when he's costing us goals regularly when we won't see the benefit of it? It makes no sense. Nsiala has his faults but has been directly at fault for fewer goals this season than McGuiness in about three times the number of appearances. That is pretty telling, given how people are quick to write Nsiala off as a liability.
[Post edited 22 Nov 2020 10:31]

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Our defence on Tuesday... on 10:35 - Nov 22 with 1734 viewsjayessess

Our defence on Tuesday... on 10:30 - Nov 22 by Herbivore

McGuiness making regular mistakes and learning his trade is understandable if we will see the long term benefit is one thing, but he's not our player. Why should we persevere with him when he's costing us goals regularly when we won't see the benefit of it? It makes no sense. Nsiala has his faults but has been directly at fault for fewer goals this season than McGuiness in about three times the number of appearances. That is pretty telling, given how people are quick to write Nsiala off as a liability.

Yeah, I can't see the point of us developing Arsenal's player for them, unless he actually improves our back line in the here and now.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Our defence on Tuesday... on 10:43 - Nov 22 with 1713 viewsChrisd

Our defence on Tuesday... on 10:30 - Nov 22 by Herbivore

I know you're making the Nsiala argument fit your own agenda, but he's certainly not the answer going forwards, he's very much a liability for an experienced player have his mistakes, poor decision making and positioning been conveniently forgotten? McGuiness seems to be having a run of games where he is making mistakes, but it's to be expected. It's interesting to see that these errors have started to happened since he's been partnered with, guess who? I'd still like to see him given a run of games partnered with Woolfenden. Wasn't it two clean sheets in those two games before COVID struck?

Our defence on Tuesday... on 10:48 - Nov 22 with 1697 viewsHerbivore

Our defence on Tuesday... on 10:43 - Nov 22 by Chrisd

I know you're making the Nsiala argument fit your own agenda, but he's certainly not the answer going forwards, he's very much a liability for an experienced player have his mistakes, poor decision making and positioning been conveniently forgotten? McGuiness seems to be having a run of games where he is making mistakes, but it's to be expected. It's interesting to see that these errors have started to happened since he's been partnered with, guess who? I'd still like to see him given a run of games partnered with Woolfenden. Wasn't it two clean sheets in those two games before COVID struck?

So Nsiala making a few mistakes isn't okay but McGuiness making several is, because McGuiness is young and we need to develop him for Arsenal?

Our defence on Tuesday... on 10:50 - Nov 22 with 1678 viewssouthnorfolkblue

I think he’ll swap Wolf for McGuiness but that will be it. I would stick with Toto. He was the better of the 2 CBS yesterday IMO. Yes we get a few heart in mouth moments with him and his distribution is poor but he’s a decent stopper at this level. He and wolf complement each other quite well.

Poll: Our final position

Our defence on Tuesday... on 10:57 - Nov 22 with 1664 viewsChrisd

Our defence on Tuesday... on 10:48 - Nov 22 by Herbivore

So Nsiala making a few mistakes isn't okay but McGuiness making several is, because McGuiness is young and we need to develop him for Arsenal?

A 'few' mistakes. Now I know you're joking. Why are Cambridge wasting their time developing Idris El Mizouni for us then? It works both ways.

Our defence on Tuesday... on 11:02 - Nov 22 with 1651 viewsportmanroadblue

Our defence on Tuesday... on 09:57 - Nov 22 by gordon

Still not sure what Wilsons done wrong and seemed to gel well with Ward.
Our defence on Tuesday... on 11:17 - Nov 22 with 1618 viewspointofblue

Our defence on Tuesday... on 11:02 - Nov 22 by portmanroadblue

Still not sure what Wilsons done wrong and seemed to gel well with Ward.

Wilson’s injured.

Our defence on Tuesday... on 11:34 - Nov 22 with 1596 viewsWickets

I tend to think any centre back would poop themself having to play alongside Toto . Woof and McGuiness is our best combination for me while Chambo plays right back .
Our defence on Tuesday... on 14:59 - Nov 22 with 1472 viewsjayessess

Our defence on Tuesday... on 10:57 - Nov 22 by Chrisd

A 'few' mistakes. Now I know you're joking. Why are Cambridge wasting their time developing Idris El Mizouni for us then? It works both ways.

I mean, they aren't developing him for us, they're using him as an impact sub or as cover (out of position) because they don't think he's better than their more experienced players. They're not sat there thinking, "ooh, maybe one day he might be better than Wes Woolahan, so better get him in".

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Our defence on Tuesday... on 15:31 - Nov 22 with 1429 viewsParisBlue

I never want to see Chambers at CB again. Too slow, caught out of position too often and so often beaten by the ball over the top.

Woolfenden has to play, paired with either Toto or McGuinness.

Libraries gave us power
Poll: Which position in the table will we be after Saturday?

Our defence on Tuesday... on 16:08 - Nov 22 with 1392 viewsrattram

Our defence on Tuesday... on 15:31 - Nov 22 by ParisBlue

I never want to see Chambers at CB again. Too slow, caught out of position too often and so often beaten by the ball over the top.

Woolfenden has to play, paired with either Toto or McGuinness.

Woolfy has to play in place of McGuiness, who is struggling.
Our defence on Tuesday... on 16:48 - Nov 22 with 1349 viewsHerbivore

Our defence on Tuesday... on 10:57 - Nov 22 by Chrisd

How many goals has El Miz cost Cambridge so far?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024