Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Phil 09:14 - Nov 25 with 3640 viewshype313

We're all obviously extremely disappointed with the current status quo, whilst we still have hangovers from previous regimes still sitting in the mind to add to the anger. You're role is slightly different to the rest of us, what are your thoughts first and foremost as a Town fan, with the current malaise?

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Phil on 15:26 - Nov 25 with 953 viewsoldburian

Phil on 15:22 - Nov 25 by Metal_Hacker

I hate the thought of wanting my team to lose but if it meant a defeat on Saturday to ensure the removal PL , I'd regrettably take it for the greater good

My thoughts exactly.
Phil on 15:26 - Nov 25 with 950 viewsbelgablue

Phil on 14:21 - Nov 25 by PhilTWTD

Sorry for slow response, had a busy day on other stuff. As I said in last night's report, I thought last night illustrated how far we are behind a genuine automatic promotion contender. We didn't play particularly badly and were in top in spells, but still were unable to lay a glove on them and Hull really didn't have to do an awful lot other than remain solid and organised and take their chances when they came.

One thing I said to one or two others in the press box last night was how I'm finding I'm writing the same things in every report, Town had plenty of the ball but without creating any serious chances perhaps being the most frequent. I think I've probably been writing the same things for two years.

I have to say I had few expectations after pre-season, I thought we gave so many goals and chances away from trying to play out from the back in pre-season that I didn't anticipate us getting off to the start we did. I was pleasantly surprised that we were playing well in the first few games.

But like last year performances as well as results have drifted in recent weeks. Even in some games we've played well, Sunderland among them, we've started slowly before getting on top. And even then when we've played well we've not created enough chances.

Given the importance of going up this season, I doubt Marcus will be as patient as he has been in the past if results don't improve very significantly soon.

Thank you for that last paragraph which has given reason to hope.

Poll: Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer?

Phil on 15:27 - Nov 25 with 948 viewshype313

Phil on 14:21 - Nov 25 by PhilTWTD

Sorry for slow response, had a busy day on other stuff. As I said in last night's report, I thought last night illustrated how far we are behind a genuine automatic promotion contender. We didn't play particularly badly and were in top in spells, but still were unable to lay a glove on them and Hull really didn't have to do an awful lot other than remain solid and organised and take their chances when they came.

One thing I said to one or two others in the press box last night was how I'm finding I'm writing the same things in every report, Town had plenty of the ball but without creating any serious chances perhaps being the most frequent. I think I've probably been writing the same things for two years.

I have to say I had few expectations after pre-season, I thought we gave so many goals and chances away from trying to play out from the back in pre-season that I didn't anticipate us getting off to the start we did. I was pleasantly surprised that we were playing well in the first few games.

But like last year performances as well as results have drifted in recent weeks. Even in some games we've played well, Sunderland among them, we've started slowly before getting on top. And even then when we've played well we've not created enough chances.

Given the importance of going up this season, I doubt Marcus will be as patient as he has been in the past if results don't improve very significantly soon.

Cheers Phil, appreciate its been a busy day, sounds very much like the thoughts of the rest of us.

Here's hoping Evans has plans lined up.

Phil on 15:42 - Nov 25 with 902 viewsPhilTWTD

Phil on 14:39 - Nov 25 by OsborneOneNil

I was 100% Cook, but Joe has got me thinking that Danny Cowley might be ideal.

Either of those two, for me.

I'm sure Cook is well up Marcus's list of potential next managers, but I've heard from a couple of sources that he is looking for a Championship club. Obviously that could change, Mick was looking for a Championship club after he left here.

I was also told that compensation would be due to Wigan's administrators as he was still in contract when he resigned.
Phil on 15:48 - Nov 25 with 875 viewshype313

Phil on 15:42 - Nov 25 by PhilTWTD

I'm sure Cook is well up Marcus's list of potential next managers, but I've heard from a couple of sources that he is looking for a Championship club. Obviously that could change, Mick was looking for a Championship club after he left here.

I was also told that compensation would be due to Wigan's administrators as he was still in contract when he resigned.

As much as I would relish Cook or Cowley, unfortunately I feel they are out of our range, both probably waiting for a Championship job to come up, which in the words of your goodself, will probably be imminent.

Phil on 15:49 - Nov 25 with 864 viewsfooters

Phil on 15:42 - Nov 25 by PhilTWTD

We are a Championship club.

We just happen to be visiting League One at the moment.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Phil on 15:51 - Nov 25 with 857 viewsPhilTWTD

Phil on 15:48 - Nov 25 by hype313

As much as I would relish Cook or Cowley, unfortunately I feel they are out of our range, both probably waiting for a Championship job to come up, which in the words of your goodself, will probably be imminent.

Remembering that the season started late, we're just about getting to the October sacking season now, so managers may well be anticipating jobs coming up in the next few weeks.
Phil on 15:52 - Nov 25 with 842 viewsMetal_Hacker

Phil on 15:51 - Nov 25 by PhilTWTD

Remembering that the season started late, we're just about getting to the October sacking season now, so managers may well be anticipating jobs coming up in the next few weeks.

I think we're now perceived as a poisoned chalice of a job though

Poll: If it were one or the other

Login to get fewer ads

Phil on 15:53 - Nov 25 with 833 viewshype313

Phil on 15:52 - Nov 25 by Metal_Hacker

I think we're now perceived as a poisoned chalice of a job though

I think the one saving grace we have left is that Marcus isn't trigger happy, probably to the detriment of our league position, but any manager coming in will at least have the confidence to know that they will be given time to implement their ideas.

Phil on 15:55 - Nov 25 with 812 viewsMetal_Hacker

Phil on 15:53 - Nov 25 by hype313

I think the one saving grace we have left is that Marcus isn't trigger happy, probably to the detriment of our league position, but any manager coming in will at least have the confidence to know that they will be given time to implement their ideas.

Yeah that's a fair point I guess

Imagine someone actually turning this around ....can you imagine it !!!!!!???

They'd be like a bl00dy messiah

Walking on water ,changing water to wine , the end of Covid,Norwich getting relegated

Phil on 16:00 - Nov 25 with 790 viewshype313

Phil on 15:55 - Nov 25 by Metal_Hacker

Yeah that's a fair point I guess

Imagine someone actually turning this around ....can you imagine it !!!!!!???

They'd be like a bl00dy messiah

Walking on water ,changing water to wine , the end of Covid,Norwich getting relegated

The place is crying out for someone to come in and get this ship sailing, we have an excellent crop of youngsters mixed with some experience, there is huge potential, get PR rocking again when fans are back and whoever that maybe could go on to do some great things.

Regardless of his time away, regardless of his mistakes, and I am someone who says you should never go back, the current situation lends me to think that Burley could come in and get us going again, it's probably me looking through rose tinted glasses, but it just seems like its made for him to come and kickstart this club.

Phil on 16:06 - Nov 25 with 746 viewsMetal_Hacker

Phil on 16:00 - Nov 25 by hype313

The place is crying out for someone to come in and get this ship sailing, we have an excellent crop of youngsters mixed with some experience, there is huge potential, get PR rocking again when fans are back and whoever that maybe could go on to do some great things.

Regardless of his time away, regardless of his mistakes, and I am someone who says you should never go back, the current situation lends me to think that Burley could come in and get us going again, it's probably me looking through rose tinted glasses, but it just seems like its made for him to come and kickstart this club.

I'd like to see someone young and progressive under GB (not literally - Oh Matron)

I don't think Dyer is the man right now but I'd like to see GB involved to some extent

Phil on 16:09 - Nov 25 with 737 viewshype313

Phil on 16:06 - Nov 25 by Metal_Hacker

I'd like to see someone young and progressive under GB (not literally - Oh Matron)

I don't think Dyer is the man right now but I'd like to see GB involved to some extent

I just think the names being bandied around won't be interested in us, which leaves us people in the mold of Hurst/Lambert, at least Burley gets us, it's in his DNA, it might just be the fairytale ending for all involved, still feel like he has unfinished business here.
[Post edited 25 Nov 2020 16:10]

Phil on 16:36 - Nov 25 with 683 viewsPositivelyPortman

Phil on 14:27 - Nov 25 by MrTown

Knowing Evans, he's probably got Paul Hurst waiting in the wings.

Even he wouldn’t be as bad as this dick.

Poll: Are we happy with the takeover?

Phil on 16:53 - Nov 25 with 644 viewsBlueandTruesince82

Agree with those who have advocated a change of structure. Not saying we need a transfer committee and to a certain extent Lee O'Neil would argue its already his job but someone who knows football to sit in on interviews would be good..... someone who might have an ear to the grounds and say things like "Yes I know its Roy Keane but the stories comming out of Sunderlands dressing room say far more than his one promotion" or "Mick, I know you think bringing someone in mid season might upset a few but we need the help to sustain a challenge and they are big boys so they can get over it.... spend the money or we will get someone in who will if we dont do up" or even "Mick telling the faithful to depart thusly probabaly isnt the best idea and tobe fair your style of football is excriment"

I have always like that Marcus doesn't interfere with managerial decisions but he does need a buffer to oversee day to day work with the manager, deal with the transfers (the negotiation not deciding them) to let the manager manage.

I'll stick with Tommy Wright as my choice.

I'd happily take Cook.

I'd not object to the Cowley bros but do feel their style of play is a bit to Mickesque...

I'd even take Pearson who I think would get us up.

We have a good mix of old pros and exciting young talent.... the right manager should get us up... then would need to bring those in to raise the kids game again.... Chambo at his age is not going to be around much longer and though he has been a stalwart and don't deny his passion for the club I think his ship has to come in this year regardless of if we go up.

We need a CB that will compliment the Woolf..an established defender that reads the game and a long term left back option.

Judge needs to go for what we are getting in return from him atm unless a new manager can get a turn out of him.

As others have said lots of players out of contract and we will lose some good played (Dozzell) for no money... assume we'd get a measly compensation package due to his age?

Fire sale if we dont go up.... if we lose Sat the trigger must be pulled

Poll: Will Phil ever confirm we are actually close on a signing ever again

Phil on 16:57 - Nov 25 with 632 viewspositivity

Phil on 14:28 - Nov 25 by Ewan_Oozami

Especially considering a lot of player are OOC this summer - if Evans waits till the summer we'll have the same situation as when Hurst took over from Mick (ok, exacerbated by Shrews being in playoffs) where a new manager will have no idea whether players should be kept or not, which'll neccessitate yet annother complete overhaul of the squad. Obviously some of the younger players might leave but I'd rather lose some older players instead!

i think it's worse than that with the salary cap.

there's no way we could offer any players out of contract their market worth, so it's out of our hands whether we can keep the likes of edwards, doz and jackson unless we get promoted.

Poll: do you do judo and/or do you do voodoo?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024