Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
FAO TWTD Cyclists 17:19 - Nov 26 with 1071 viewsDubtractor

I'm looking to buy a road bike, max spend £1,000. Any recommendations? Any brands to avoid?

Found this on wiggle as a black Friday deal, dunno if its a decent bike or not?

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/zannata-z25-road-bike

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

FAO TWTD Cyclists on 17:50 - Nov 26 with 1037 viewsdavblue

See if you can get a Specialized Roubaix, that’s what I have, it has suspension in the handle bar for shock absorption.

You might be able to get last years model for around that price with some looking around.
FAO TWTD Cyclists on 18:36 - Nov 26 with 1010 viewsBasuco

I would also say that the Roubaix is a very good cycle, the Boardman is decent and good value as well.
https://www.halfords.com/bikes/road-bikes/boardman-slr-8.9-105-mens-road-bike-20
FAO TWTD Cyclists on 18:46 - Nov 26 with 998 viewsBasuco

FAO TWTD Cyclists on 17:50 - Nov 26 by davblue

See if you can get a Specialized Roubaix, that’s what I have, it has suspension in the handle bar for shock absorption.

You might be able to get last years model for around that price with some looking around.

The Roubaix also has a more "relaxed" seat tube angle to give it a softer more comfortable ride, as the name suggest's it is designed to cope with the cobble's of the classic Paris Roubaix race.
FAO TWTD Cyclists on 19:19 - Nov 26 with 972 viewsstonojnr

FAO TWTD Cyclists on 17:50 - Nov 26 by davblue

Im convinced that handlebar thingy will seize up after a few winters :) the bikes fine Id just want a standard set of bars on it.

a grand will get a decent bike so there are alot of options out there, the biggest problem will be picking the right size
FAO TWTD Cyclists on 19:26 - Nov 26 with 956 viewsdavblue

FAO TWTD Cyclists on 18:46 - Nov 26 by Basuco

The Roubaix also has a more "relaxed" seat tube angle to give it a softer more comfortable ride, as the name suggest's it is designed to cope with the cobble's of the classic Paris Roubaix race.

It’s a very comfortable ride I have to say.
FAO TWTD Cyclists on 19:28 - Nov 26 with 954 viewsbluelagos

FAO TWTD Cyclists on 18:36 - Nov 26 by Basuco

I would also say that the Roubaix is a very good cycle, the Boardman is decent and good value as well.
https://www.halfords.com/bikes/road-bikes/boardman-slr-8.9-105-mens-road-bike-20

That's what got me to JO'Groats. No complaints other than needing to get better tyres and seat, but think that's true of most road bikes tbh.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

FAO TWTD Cyclists on 20:29 - Nov 26 with 922 viewsTractorWood

The triple chainring is pretty rare. Bit of a relic tbh. The majority of bikes run compacts or semi compacts these days.

I wouldn't bother upgrading that. As 8 speed to 11 speed will cost £500 (on the assumption you are handy with a torque wrench). Decent wheels will be £200+. So you'd have spent too much.

Something like this would be a far better use of £1k. https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/bikes-available-stock/boardman-slr-8.9-10 it has 11 speed 105, integrated cabling and carbon forks. Night and day. When you are buying a bike, you are mostly buying the groupset and frame. Finishing kit and wheels will normally be just mass produced dross up to the £2k+ bracket.

A few have mentioned the Specialized Roubaix. Decent bike but probably a bit pricier for less groupset. Giant also tend to deliver decent bikes around this price point. As do Ribble.
[Post edited 26 Nov 2020 20:33]

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

FAO TWTD Cyclists on 20:34 - Nov 26 with 897 viewsBasuco

FAO TWTD Cyclists on 19:28 - Nov 26 by bluelagos

That's what got me to JO'Groats. No complaints other than needing to get better tyres and seat, but think that's true of most road bikes tbh.

I like Gatorskins but Continentals are very good at a higher price, both are very good in the wet. The seat is a bit more complex, Selle Italia are very good but I would recommend a saddle fit to make sure you get the correct width for your "seat bones". Well done for completing the end to end as well.
Login to get fewer ads

FAO TWTD Cyclists on 20:36 - Nov 26 with 892 viewsTractorWood

FAO TWTD Cyclists on 18:36 - Nov 26 by Basuco

Beat me to it. Cracking bike for the price.

FAO TWTD Cyclists on 21:36 - Nov 26 with 858 viewsMetal_Hacker

I bought a Genesis Equilibrium this summer. Steel frame with disc brakes. Can ride it for miles no problem.

If it’s something comfortable and for getting the miles in I’d definitely say look t a Genesis

Poll: If it were one or the other

FAO TWTD Cyclists on 21:40 - Nov 26 with 853 viewsMetal_Hacker

Quick scan and found this

Nice little number

https://www.biketart.com/bikes-c1/gravel-adventure-bikes-c213/genesis-cda-30-202

FAO TWTD Cyclists on 21:40 - Nov 26 with 846 viewsPlums

FAO TWTD Cyclists on 21:36 - Nov 26 by Metal_Hacker

I bought a Genesis Equilibrium this summer. Steel frame with disc brakes. Can ride it for miles no problem.

If it’s something comfortable and for getting the miles in I’d definitely say look t a Genesis

They have a great reputation. I have a Cube Peleton SL which I love. It’s great to put some effort into a bike and feel it respond, particularly when climbing.

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

FAO TWTD Cyclists on 21:45 - Nov 26 with 844 viewsMetal_Hacker

FAO TWTD Cyclists on 21:40 - Nov 26 by Plums

They have a great reputation. I have a Cube Peleton SL which I love. It’s great to put some effort into a bike and feel it respond, particularly when climbing.

I had a Felt carbon but it nicked. Continued with my Trek MTB but wanted a road bike as well again. Best mate swears by Genesis road bikes. I don’t regret buying it one bit.

Best part. Made in England

FAO TWTD Cyclists on 23:10 - Nov 26 with 803 viewsDubtractor

Thanks for the suggestions. I like the look of that Boardman number.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

FAO TWTD Cyclists on 08:38 - Nov 27 with 727 viewsTractorWood

FAO TWTD Cyclists on 21:40 - Nov 26 by Metal_Hacker

Quick scan and found this

Nice little number

https://www.biketart.com/bikes-c1/gravel-adventure-bikes-c213/genesis-cda-30-202

That's a gravel bike, not really a road bike. GRX groupset and 37c tyres are massive. That said, looks a great gravel bike for the money.
[Post edited 27 Nov 2020 8:39]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024