Quantcast
Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Long ball Vs Possession Football 23:00 - Nov 28 with 601 viewsEireannach_gorm

LONG BALL

POSSESSION FOOTBALL

I would go with the former myself.

Long ball Vs Possession Football on 23:03 - Nov 28 with 570 viewsDubtractor

That clip is almost as good as the Judge cross and Bennetts pass to Hull clip from Tuesday.

Just clueless.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: Best type of bacon for your breakfast butty?

Long ball Vs Possession Football on 23:06 - Nov 28 with 549 viewsMattinLondon

Burley was a true pragmatic manager. Loved and preferred to play passing football but would gladly pump it long if he thought the opposition were weak in the air.

Long ball Vs Possession Football on 23:15 - Nov 28 with 510 viewsKropotkin123

Playing a long pass is different to "long ball" tactics. "long ball" tactics are about getting the ball as quickly as possible in the opposition half and pressing them into mistakes, so they can't pass it out or hoof it out.

Burley's players say he would always talk about passing in turns of golf. Improving on all the different clubs, so you can use the right pass for the right opportunity.

"long ball" in contrast allows for much more aimless "passes" in order to get in the territory.

Both "long ball" and "possession" tactics can be effective, if coached well. Personally I'd like to see a return to us mixing it up. Like we could in the Burley years and like I see in the video clips of the Robson years.
[Post edited 28 Nov 2020 23:26]

Lambo delenda est
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

Long ball Vs Possession Football on 23:23 - Nov 28 with 473 viewsClapham_Junction

One thing that has annoyed me in recent times is how infrequently we use free kicks between the centre circle and the penalty area to put a ball into the box. We only seem to do it when it's within ten yards of the area, and the rest of the time it's a sideways pass and then often to someone who passes it back to the defenders.

I appreciate we're not the best team in the air, but still...
[Post edited 28 Nov 2020 23:23]
Long ball Vs Possession Football on 23:28 - Nov 28 with 441 viewsEireannach_gorm

Long ball Vs Possession Football on 23:15 - Nov 28 by Kropotkin123

Playing a long pass is different to "long ball" tactics. "long ball" tactics are about getting the ball as quickly as possible in the opposition half and pressing them into mistakes, so they can't pass it out or hoof it out.

Burley's players say he would always talk about passing in turns of golf. Improving on all the different clubs, so you can use the right pass for the right opportunity.

"long ball" in contrast allows for much more aimless "passes" in order to get in the territory.

Both "long ball" and "possession" tactics can be effective, if coached well. Personally I'd like to see a return to us mixing it up. Like we could in the Burley years and like I see in the video clips of the Robson years.
[Post edited 28 Nov 2020 23:26]

.......And there is the problem. Our current manager has no plan 'B'. Even our plan 'A' is pretty ineffective. You could say that we actually don't have any type of tactics.
Long ball Vs Possession Football on 23:34 - Nov 28 with 415 viewsRocky

Long ball Vs Possession Football on 23:23 - Nov 28 by Clapham_Junction

One thing that has annoyed me in recent times is how infrequently we use free kicks between the centre circle and the penalty area to put a ball into the box. We only seem to do it when it's within ten yards of the area, and the rest of the time it's a sideways pass and then often to someone who passes it back to the defenders.

I appreciate we're not the best team in the air, but still...
[Post edited 28 Nov 2020 23:23]

The number of times we go from a threatening position in attack with the opportunity to knock it into the opposition's box and create a chance - but instead choose to play it back [and eventually] to our goalkeeper - is ridiculous. It's great to keep possession but it has to be meaningful possession.
Our possession stats just cover up our total lack of attacking intent.
Long ball Vs Possession Football on 23:37 - Nov 28 with 394 viewsKropotkin123

Long ball Vs Possession Football on 23:34 - Nov 28 by Rocky

The number of times we go from a threatening position in attack with the opportunity to knock it into the opposition's box and create a chance - but instead choose to play it back [and eventually] to our goalkeeper - is ridiculous. It's great to keep possession but it has to be meaningful possession.
Our possession stats just cover up our total lack of attacking intent.

Exactly, zero intent to actually create something meaningful. Lambert can say there is no lack of confidence, but evidently they aren't confident to take the necessary risk of failing to make something happen. They would rather avoid the risk.

Lambo delenda est
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

Long ball Vs Possession Football on 23:43 - Nov 28 with 368 viewsGarv

Long ball Vs Possession Football on 23:03 - Nov 28 by Dubtractor

That clip is almost as good as the Judge cross and Bennetts pass to Hull clip from Tuesday.

Just clueless.

It's embarrassing in isolation but you watch football league games, especially leagues one and two, and you will see clips like that every week, several times. That's the level we're at unfortunately.

Poll: How much do you trust Lambert when he says we’ll be a better team for rotating?

Login to get fewer ads

Long ball Vs Possession Football on 23:45 - Nov 28 with 358 viewsBryanPlug

ThE gAMEs mOvEd oN

Poll: What should the status of a turntable lid be when playing records?

Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2021