Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Evan's Statement 14:01 - Dec 10 with 814 viewskizaitfc

The general picture he paints is that the reason some fans aren't happy with the club and the way he runs it is because we don't have an owner willing to throw money around.

On the whole I think that is a lazy judgement, most fans just want a competent owner who can hire more than 1 decent manager in his 13 year tenure. We want an owner who realises when something isn't working before it's too late. We want an owner that realises when you sell your best player that money has to be reinvested wisely. We want an owner that either understands football or hires someone else that does.

It's not fair to suggest ITFC fans just want a billionaire owner in charge, most understand that carries risks, we just want competency that doesnt seem like too much to ask!
[Post edited 10 Dec 2020 14:01]

Poll: Mick in or out? (not a dig at Mick just want to see the overall opinion on here)

Evan's Statement on 14:01 - Dec 10 with 798 viewsJ2BLUE

He's built a straw man and knocked it down.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Evan's Statement on 14:33 - Dec 10 with 691 viewsRadlett_blue

Generally good points.
I don't know how much Evans knows about football, but I would guess not very much if he, as is rumoured, consulted his good friend Harry Redknapp before making some of his many poor managerial choices. He's generally stuck with his "pick a manager & let him get on with it" strategy, with the addition that after he realised how much money the dynamic duo of Keane & Clegg were wasting in the transfer market, he wanted some control over transfers.
Evans is determined not to go down the Director of Football route so we seem to have the options of continuing with Lambert or sacking him & appointing another incompetent manager.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Evan's Statement on 14:39 - Dec 10 with 655 viewsfactual_blue

He's still not apologised for his handling of moving the senior's discount age to 65.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Evan's Statement on 14:58 - Dec 10 with 605 viewshype313

Evan's Statement on 14:39 - Dec 10 by factual_blue

He's still not apologised for his handling of moving the senior's discount age to 65.

Did that not get redacted? I thought after the outcry that was U-turned?

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Evan's Statement on 15:01 - Dec 10 with 596 viewsRadlett_blue

Evan's Statement on 14:58 - Dec 10 by hype313

Did that not get redacted? I thought after the outcry that was U-turned?

It was. But Factual is a man of principle so he would like an apology as well.

Evan's Statement on 15:12 - Dec 10 with 564 viewsnodge_blue

I hardly think someone who has pumped millions of pounds into a football club is making a lazy judgement because he is too invested in it.

Its true that so many of the appointments haven't worked out. But they all have had success at other clubs. Most if not all had gained promotions.

And as he's said many times the money raised from player sales doesn't just vanish. It goes to the academy or as part of the general running costs. Sometimes 1.5 million of it goes to a striker like Jackson.

So maybe there is something more fundamentally wrong.

I don't feel like being Evans advocate - but theres more nuance to the situation and some of the criticism is wide of the mark.

We've just been cr@p is the problem and many people take part of that blame.

Poll: best attacking central midfielder?

Evan's Statement on 15:13 - Dec 10 with 561 viewsRadlett_blue

"I can only say the goalposts have moved so many times in terms of finances over much of that time that we, like many clubs, find ourselves in a much tougher place to succeed than say 10 years ago. In the Championship there are seven clubs with over £40 million each of parachute money. This makes a huge difference and a gap which we will only bridge through the continuing patient redevelopment of every aspect of the Club and hopefully a fairer, more sensible system for revenue sharing across the game for its own good at all levels."
Yes, Marcus, the game has changed, but if you seriously think there will be a meaningful redistribution of TV money from the Premier League to the Football League, you are dreaming. I don't think the COVID package is what you were looking for.

Evan's Statement on 15:14 - Dec 10 with 557 viewsshady

In olden days the job of the board was to maintain a decent cellar, keep the sherry cabinet stocked, and pick the next manager.
Being football people through and through they picked brilliantly.
Our first half dozen odd managers were picked this way and only Milburn was a dud(though even he wasn’t a complete failure as he started the youth team.)

As we all know our last half dozen managers all picked by our beloved owner have the opposite ratio of success/failure.

When we consider the cause for this then we can’t help but to conclude that it’s not bad luck.
The process of asking golfing chums, football people associated with other teams and gut instincts just isn’t working out.
I know it’s a different century and things have evolved but this critical process needs to be handled better.
That which works in business doesn’t mean it works in this Alice in Wonderland world of football.

Furthermore we need a coach who can make our players better.
Terry Connor was the best recent example.

I remember during RK’s reign and feeling …My God every player is getting worse maybe a couple are about the same, and some want to leave.
In Evans era; it’s only in MM’s reign can we say some of the players were improved.

We are not asking for a transfer budget as we have a large squad and eager young players.
We understand that it's a zero sum game; for every winner there must be a loser.
Not every attack results in a goal, not every season will be perfect.
Login to get fewer ads

Evan's Statement on 15:18 - Dec 10 with 545 viewsRadlett_blue

Evan's Statement on 15:14 - Dec 10 by shady

In olden days the job of the board was to maintain a decent cellar, keep the sherry cabinet stocked, and pick the next manager.
Being football people through and through they picked brilliantly.
Our first half dozen odd managers were picked this way and only Milburn was a dud(though even he wasn’t a complete failure as he started the youth team.)

As we all know our last half dozen managers all picked by our beloved owner have the opposite ratio of success/failure.

When we consider the cause for this then we can’t help but to conclude that it’s not bad luck.
The process of asking golfing chums, football people associated with other teams and gut instincts just isn’t working out.
I know it’s a different century and things have evolved but this critical process needs to be handled better.
That which works in business doesn’t mean it works in this Alice in Wonderland world of football.

Furthermore we need a coach who can make our players better.
Terry Connor was the best recent example.

I remember during RK’s reign and feeling …My God every player is getting worse maybe a couple are about the same, and some want to leave.
In Evans era; it’s only in MM’s reign can we say some of the players were improved.

We are not asking for a transfer budget as we have a large squad and eager young players.
We understand that it's a zero sum game; for every winner there must be a loser.
Not every attack results in a goal, not every season will be perfect.

Mr John Cobbold certainly wasn't a "football man" - he was at a Leicester v Town game & assumed Town were the team in blue shirts. He was a wealthy if eccentric man who let his managers manage & backed them with money when they wanted it, but it was sheer luck that Town appointed Bobby Robson.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024