Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Lambert's signings 08:28 - Feb 3 with 5648 viewsHerbivore

Interesting article in the EDP today: https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/ipswich-town/ipswich-town-signings-graded-7301402

A lot of people rate Lambert's transfer business as his main area of strength during his time here. When you look at how they've actually performed though they've largely been pretty toss.

It's interesting that Elder and Emmanuel are now rated as two of the best full backs in the league and gunning for promotion with Hull, when both (in different ways) were deemed not good enough for us. Just further serves to highlight that the talent of the players really isn't the main issue here.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Lambert's signings on 15:29 - Feb 3 with 334 viewsTractorJack

Lambert's signings on 15:06 - Feb 3 by Herbivore

I doubt many people thought Luke Chambers was a good enough right back to play for a team competing for promotion to the Premier League, and yet he was our starting right back in a season where we made the play offs and were top on Boxing Day. Similarly, our midfield that season pretty regularly featured Luke Hyam who I doubt many think individually is good enough for a top 6 Championship side. Same could very easily be said for the likes of Anderson, Tabb, Smith, even Skuse (who had been relegated with Brizzle a couple of years prior). And yet there they were, all playing in a top 6 Championship side.

I just think it's a simplistic and unhelpful way to try and rate a player to be honest, and as I say it's often self defeating. Wilson was in our defence when we were top 2 for much of the early season. In fact our form (and defending) have declined since he's been out of the side. He was playing pretty regularly when we were top last season as well. Our declines in both seasons haven't been down to his performances.

This idea that X player either is or isn't good enough tends to buy into the Lambert school of management that you just need to keep signing better players to improve. It's about a balanced and well coached side. I'm confident with a decent manager in place we could play Wilson most weeks and go up. That's not to say he'd be first pick as I feel we have better options at the club, but I don't buy the suggestion that him playing regularly would be a barrier to us going up under a decent manager. I don't see much evidence to support that claim.

I agree with you to an extent but my thinking is what's the most likely scenario? The players you mentioned never went on to repeat that achievement either with us or another team.

Recruitment teams have to make decisions on what level they deem a player is capable of currently and where they might be in the future, it doesn't mean the thought behind that decision is simplistic. The team around them can influence that but there has to be a base level of ability.

That period at the start of the season was pretty fortunate when you look at xg conceded vs conceded.
Lambert's signings on 15:36 - Feb 3 with 324 viewsTractorJack

Lambert's signings on 15:13 - Feb 3 by The_Flashing_Smile

Maybe. I thought he was alright in the Championship, but ideally we'd want better. He's decent enough back up.

That's not what I was disagreeing with though. I was disagreeing with your comment that he kicks it into touch every time the ball comes near him, which is patently nonsense. In fact according to the stats someone published earlier in the season, Wilson was consistently the most accurate of the defenders when it came to passing, and one of the best in the whole team.

Obviously it was hyperbole, I simply don't enjoy watching him play he's too safe for how we want to play.

Passing accuracy is a useless metric on it's own. What direction were the passes, what pressure was he under, was he involved in possessions which resulted in a shot?
Lambert's signings on 15:58 - Feb 3 with 304 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Lambert's signings on 15:36 - Feb 3 by TractorJack

Obviously it was hyperbole, I simply don't enjoy watching him play he's too safe for how we want to play.

Passing accuracy is a useless metric on it's own. What direction were the passes, what pressure was he under, was he involved in possessions which resulted in a shot?

I wish the rest of our defence were a bit more 'safe'!

Re the passes: I did mention he was the best of the defenders - so it will be similar directions, similar pressure etc. to the rest of them.

Some people (and I'm not saying you) had it in their heads he'd be cr@p as he was discarded by another League 1 team. I did too, but when I saw how he actually player for us I revised my position. It seems like some others are unable to do that.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Lambert's signings on 18:00 - Feb 3 with 256 viewsreusersfreekicks

Lambert's signings on 15:16 - Feb 3 by The_Flashing_Smile

He's starting to work himself up into another ban. Then he begs Phil to let him back in, is nice to people for about 2 weeks, and then it all starts again.

So tedious
Lambert's signings on 21:22 - Feb 3 with 208 viewsFelstow1978

Lambert's signings on 09:14 - Feb 3 by TieDyedIn95

Lambert hasn't been a good manager since 2012 - everyone knows that.

Culverhouse

Poll: Isn't it time that HRH Shesgotmyballsinherhand stops feeling the need to preach?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024