Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Lambert's signings 08:28 - Feb 3 with 5647 viewsHerbivore

Interesting article in the EDP today: https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/ipswich-town/ipswich-town-signings-graded-7301402

A lot of people rate Lambert's transfer business as his main area of strength during his time here. When you look at how they've actually performed though they've largely been pretty toss.

It's interesting that Elder and Emmanuel are now rated as two of the best full backs in the league and gunning for promotion with Hull, when both (in different ways) were deemed not good enough for us. Just further serves to highlight that the talent of the players really isn't the main issue here.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Lambert's signings on 09:25 - Feb 3 with 1227 viewsHerbivore

Lambert's signings on 09:20 - Feb 3 by Bluefish

Blimey. Dolly impressions is the new you

If you're going to be doing pre-ban Blubbers impressions I'll treat you accordingly.

Lambert's signings on 09:27 - Feb 3 with 1210 viewsBluefish

Lambert's signings on 09:24 - Feb 3 by Herbivore

Where have I mentioned Quaner? What are you even wittering on about?

Relative to cost and expectation, which are the criteria being used, then Wilson has been a better signing than Judge or Norwood. They have both underperformed relative to their cost and what was expected of them. Wilson was signed as a back up CB who did well enough to play more than was expected of him and pretty much always did fine.

Cost? They were all free transfers? If you mean wages that would then make Quaner a U

How can a signing be based on expectation? Because we expected him to be crap ad he was crap he is a better signing than a guy expected to be brilliant but was just OK. Utter nonsense

Using your logic ALB must rank as one of our best keeper signings. Oddly free transfer Holy is a worse signing than Wilson and almost on a par with Quaner as well

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Lambert's signings on 09:30 - Feb 3 with 1209 viewsclive_baker

To some degree I think the loan signings in our relegation season were a bit of desperation and just a case of hoping something clicked that made a difference. I wouldn't have thought we had too many options at that point and it was a bit of a free hit.

If you look at the squad we have now, I think you would have to say he's assembled a good quality group of players. It's too big for my liking, but he's generally bought well and retained in the right areas for me. I really rate both of KVY and Norwood, and them having so many injury issues is regrettable, but I don't think it's fair to apply that hindsight to the decision to buy someone. I would question his decision making to rush Norwood back and question the wider infrastructure ME has in place to keep his assets fit and in peak condition.

None of the players he's let go we can really look at with any regret IMO.

I don't think it's a personnel issue at all, I think we've got a very strong squad for this level, I just don't think it's one that's particularly engaged or set up right.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Lambert's signings on 09:31 - Feb 3 with 1204 viewsHerbivore

Lambert's signings on 09:27 - Feb 3 by Bluefish

Cost? They were all free transfers? If you mean wages that would then make Quaner a U

How can a signing be based on expectation? Because we expected him to be crap ad he was crap he is a better signing than a guy expected to be brilliant but was just OK. Utter nonsense

Using your logic ALB must rank as one of our best keeper signings. Oddly free transfer Holy is a worse signing than Wilson and almost on a par with Quaner as well

You seem to be fundamentally misunderstanding how the players are being judged. Let's go back to me first response to you on this thread: maybe you should read the article.

Lambert's signings on 09:31 - Feb 3 with 1204 viewsRadlett_blue

Lambert's signings on 08:56 - Feb 3 by Herbivore

Wilson has been fine. He was a free transfer and he's rarely let us down when he's played. He's not exactly cultured but he does the basics well and doesn't make many mistakes. If Blubbers bothered reading the article he might understand why Wilson was given the rating he was given, but he wears ignorance like a badge of honour at times.

Wilson was a 30+ lower league (which is were Town now are) journeyman, which was fine as cheap back-up. Unfortunately, our other options at CB were deemed worse, notably Toto, who kept making high profile errors so Wilson started half our league games last season. Bearing in mind Wilson was free & on low wages, he seems to have been elevated in status.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Lambert's signings on 09:33 - Feb 3 with 1194 viewsSwansea_Blue

They're being a bit generous aren't they? "Hits"? I can't remember any. Wilson possibly is the best of a bad bunch in fairness. Although that's very much damning with faint praise.

24 signings. Two teams he's signed to take us from the Championship to mid-table League 1.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Lambert's signings on 09:33 - Feb 3 with 1188 viewsBluefish

Lambert's signings on 09:31 - Feb 3 by Herbivore

You seem to be fundamentally misunderstanding how the players are being judged. Let's go back to me first response to you on this thread: maybe you should read the article.

So it is not on how good they have been at football for Ipswich Town? I'll definitely give the article a miss then, do enjoy it. I suppose the eadt trying to appeal and engage with people on football would narrow things too much and lose their audience

Lambert's signings on 09:35 - Feb 3 with 1180 viewsBluefish

Lambert's signings on 09:31 - Feb 3 by Radlett_blue

Wilson was a 30+ lower league (which is were Town now are) journeyman, which was fine as cheap back-up. Unfortunately, our other options at CB were deemed worse, notably Toto, who kept making high profile errors so Wilson started half our league games last season. Bearing in mind Wilson was free & on low wages, he seems to have been elevated in status.

You are viewing it like a football studier and misses the point apparently.....whatever that means

Login to get fewer ads

Lambert's signings on 09:39 - Feb 3 with 1173 viewsAtractorive

Lambert's signings on 08:54 - Feb 3 by Bluefish

Fook that. Why on earth would I be interested to read people that take over 2 years to work our perhaps Lambert isn't a very good manager. Bad enough reading you lot on here. It would be like asking my 16 year old son's view on fine dining or asking for my views on fine art

Why bother commenting on it then?
Lambert's signings on 09:40 - Feb 3 with 1160 viewsBluefish

Lambert's signings on 09:39 - Feb 3 by Atractorive

Why bother commenting on it then?

I commented on a post trying to give credibility to the article, that seems reasonable to me

Lambert's signings on 09:42 - Feb 3 with 1156 viewsAtractorive

Lambert's signings on 09:40 - Feb 3 by Bluefish

I commented on a post trying to give credibility to the article, that seems reasonable to me

How can you give credibility to an article you can't even be arsed to fully read?
Lambert's signings on 09:43 - Feb 3 with 1158 viewsTractorJack

The praise of Wilson says more about the standard of our CBs over the last 3 seasons. He can do the basics I just can't bear watching him kick it in to touch every time the ball comes near him.
Lambert's signings on 09:43 - Feb 3 with 1155 viewsSwailsey

Some lovely memories in that article.

Dawkins trying to run up the wing when he first came on, looking ridiculously unfit and just running the ball off the side of the pitch with no-one around him.

The holy trinity of Elder, Bree and Earl - completely and utterly pointless and so forgettable.

The back-up keeper no-one asked for and needed, Norris.

All wrapped up in a nice little Lambert bow.

Who said: "Colin Healy made Cesc Fabregas look like Colin Healy"? | We miss you TLA

Lambert's signings on 09:43 - Feb 3 with 1150 viewsHerbivore

Lambert's signings on 09:31 - Feb 3 by Radlett_blue

His status has been elevated? By saying he's done okay?

Lambert's signings on 09:44 - Feb 3 with 1139 viewsBluefish

Lambert's signings on 09:42 - Feb 3 by Atractorive

How can you give credibility to an article you can't even be arsed to fully read?

Quite easily. That is why i don't read the daily mail

Lambert's signings on 09:45 - Feb 3 with 1140 viewsParamedic

I don’t think anymore proof is required regarding Lamberts management and coaching skills. Performances and results don’t lie. Saying one thing and then doing the opposite. Blaming everything and everyone bar himself. I doubt he’ll be getting a statue.😡

AllalallalSunderland

Lambert's signings on 09:46 - Feb 3 with 1131 viewsBluefish

Lambert's signings on 09:43 - Feb 3 by TractorJack

The praise of Wilson says more about the standard of our CBs over the last 3 seasons. He can do the basics I just can't bear watching him kick it in to touch every time the ball comes near him.

Our Lambert apologists seem to hold a flame for him. The fact they can't see his failing explains why they held on for Lambert for so long

Lambert's signings on 09:47 - Feb 3 with 1133 viewsBlueBadger

The myth the apologists are currently running with is 'the youth players aren't good enough'.

We don't know because they're constantly in and out of the team, played out of position and sidelined in favour of other teams' youth players.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What would be the funniest relegation on Saturday
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Lambert's signings on 09:49 - Feb 3 with 1125 viewsBlueBadger

Lambert's signings on 08:47 - Feb 3 by Bluefish

Haven't read it in full but the ratings seems to just chuck loads of Cs and some Fs. Hardly well thought out analysis. Bizarrely Wilson gets a B despite being a player that looks non league at best, I think he has what Edwards has had lately of suddenly forgetting all of their short comings because they are injured.

'C' is an astonishingly generous grade to give Judge, I'd have gone with that rather than the high grade for Wilson who's by large performed as a competent third division standard centre half.

The fact that he's done what's been elected of him and nothing more and gotten such a high grade is pretty damning on the rest.
[Post edited 3 Feb 2021 9:53]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

Lambert's signings on 09:54 - Feb 3 with 1111 viewsgordon

Wilson's looked alright at this level, and much better transfer business that Nsiala.

In most positions Lambert just permanently wants to try new players because he doesn't have the coaching skills or vision to mould a team into an effective system, so the only thing he can do is replace players in the hope that something clicks on the pitch.
Lambert's signings on 09:57 - Feb 3 with 1107 viewsmonty_radio

Lambert's signings on 09:49 - Feb 3 by BlueBadger

'C' is an astonishingly generous grade to give Judge, I'd have gone with that rather than the high grade for Wilson who's by large performed as a competent third division standard centre half.

The fact that he's done what's been elected of him and nothing more and gotten such a high grade is pretty damning on the rest.
[Post edited 3 Feb 2021 9:53]

Although you could argue that expectations were over-inflated by collective memory of the pre-injury player we remembered - Huws currently demonstrating what difference such a trauma can make.

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

Lambert's signings on 09:59 - Feb 3 with 1104 viewsBlueBadger

Lambert's signings on 09:18 - Feb 3 by Bluefish

Just so we are clear you think Wilson has been a better signing than Norwood or Judge? Please do show your workings out

You also think Quaner was better than many and virtually l on a par with most others. Fantastic stuff

You've gone with the wrong target here Fishers, definitely should have run with the 'C' awarded inexplicably to Alan Judge who ' brought effort and desire to an Ipswich attack lacking both on the way to relegation'.

Or with 'it speaks volumes that Wilson, a competent third division centre half is the best of all of them'.

Lambert's signings on 10:03 - Feb 3 with 1089 viewsBlueBadger

Lambert's signings on 09:24 - Feb 3 by The_Flashing_Smile

No-one suggested he's played amazingly every game, and you wouldn't really expect it either. He's been solid and dependable, which is what you want from a central defender.

As I've said above, the fact that he's been graded as best-performing basically for being an unremarkable third division centre half speaks volumes about the rest.

Lambert's signings on 10:05 - Feb 3 with 1078 viewsBluefish

Lambert's signings on 09:59 - Feb 3 by BlueBadger

You've gone with the wrong target here Fishers, definitely should have run with the 'C' awarded inexplicably to Alan Judge who ' brought effort and desire to an Ipswich attack lacking both on the way to relegation'.

Or with 'it speaks volumes that Wilson, a competent third division centre half is the best of all of them'.

I am trying to work out his best signing

Presumably Holy should be clear winner. Most of the Fs should be Us and the Cs should be Fs.

Lambert's signings on 10:06 - Feb 3 with 1076 viewsSwansea_Blue

Lambert's signings on 09:43 - Feb 3 by Swailsey

Some lovely memories in that article.

Dawkins trying to run up the wing when he first came on, looking ridiculously unfit and just running the ball off the side of the pitch with no-one around him.

The holy trinity of Elder, Bree and Earl - completely and utterly pointless and so forgettable.

The back-up keeper no-one asked for and needed, Norris.

All wrapped up in a nice little Lambert bow.

TATD

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024