Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Another dive by a Liverpool player 18:00 - Feb 7 with 1907 viewsBelsteadCav

But sky says he was right to go down

I hate modern football

King of the board since 98
Poll: Updated Poll . What would you rather win as a Sportsman

Justice! on 18:01 - Feb 7 with 1900 viewsBelsteadCav

King of the board since 98
Poll: Updated Poll . What would you rather win as a Sportsman

Another dive by a Liverpool player on 18:02 - Feb 7 with 1896 viewsdominiciawful

Robbie Savage admitting he is a cheat:

17:53 - Liverpool 1-1 Manchester City

Robbie Savage, ex-Wales midfielder on BBC Radio 5 Live:

"Mo Salah has certainly made the most of it. Yes, he pulled Salah's arm, but was there enough for Salah to go down? I'd have done the same if I was Salah."

(from BBC live text)

Poll: Which manager of the Marcus Evans era do you dislike the most?

Another dive by a Liverpool player on 18:05 - Feb 7 with 1884 viewsthebooks

Diving’s not new 🤷🏻‍♂️
Another dive by a Liverpool player on 18:05 - Feb 7 with 1884 viewsFtnfwest

No no, he didn’t dive, he ‘accepted the contact’ apparently
Another dive by a Liverpool player on 18:08 - Feb 7 with 1861 viewsFunge

Another dive by a Liverpool player on 18:02 - Feb 7 by dominiciawful

"Mo Salah has certainly made the most of it. Yes, he pulled Salah's arm, but was there enough for Salah to go down? I'd have done the same if I was Salah."

(from BBC live text)

I remember being at Filbert St when Savage got Sereni sent off in 2001. Rage.

Muzzy Izzet missed the corresponding penalty; I fully lost it after that.

Think they equalised in the last minute, which was irritating.

Savage is a total dickhead.
Another dive by a Liverpool player on 18:47 - Feb 7 with 1771 viewsWickets

Another dive by a Liverpool player on 18:08 - Feb 7 by Funge

I remember being at Filbert St when Savage got Sereni sent off in 2001. Rage.

Muzzy Izzet missed the corresponding penalty; I fully lost it after that.

Think they equalised in the last minute, which was irritating.

Savage is a total dickhead.

Yup i was at that game as well , as i remember it the last minute goal came from a free kick quickly taken as we fell asleep !
Another dive by a Liverpool player on 19:01 - Feb 7 with 1748 viewsjeera

"Won a free-kick/penalty"

A term that should have been outlawed the moment people started using it.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Another dive by a Liverpool player on 19:10 - Feb 7 with 1735 viewsMattinLondon

Another dive by a Liverpool player on 18:05 - Feb 7 by thebooks

Diving’s not new 🤷🏻‍♂️

You’ll think by the way oldies go on about it that diving is a recent thing. It’s been around for decades.
[Post edited 7 Feb 2021 19:31]
Login to get fewer ads

Another dive by a Liverpool player on 19:31 - Feb 7 with 1701 viewsMattinLondon

I hate Eastenders, guess what..... I don’t watch it
Another dive by a Liverpool player on 19:53 - Feb 7 with 1669 viewsstrikalite

Another dive by a Liverpool player on 19:01 - Feb 7 by jeera

Yep, it's now seen as a skill, to be honest it has for a very long time..

When you have Shearer saying "if you feel contact you're entitled to go down" then you know the game is lost.
Another dive by a Liverpool player on 19:56 - Feb 7 with 1666 viewsjeera

Another dive by a Liverpool player on 19:10 - Feb 7 by MattinLondon

You’ll think by the way oldies go on about it that diving is a recent thing. It’s been around for decades.

Oi, less of the 'oldies'.

You punk kid.

Yes diving became quite the thing in the 80s with a 'Continental' style creeping in with.

That's not to say it hasn't got worse. Cheats stood out back then and were frowned upon, whereas the complaint here is that not only has it become acceptable, but seems to be encouraged by some quarters.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Another dive by a Liverpool player on 20:22 - Feb 7 with 1621 viewsmichaeldownunder

I can remember Francis Lee used to run at full speed into the penalty area then trip himself up when a defender got close, result pen to Man City.
Another dive by a Liverpool player on 20:33 - Feb 7 with 1604 viewsChurchman

Another dive by a Liverpool player on 20:22 - Feb 7 by michaeldownunder

I can remember Francis Lee used to run at full speed into the penalty area then trip himself up when a defender got close, result pen to Man City.

Yep, it happened. But he and a few others were the exception not the rule. The game sort of self regulated. If a naughty was carried out, retribution would follow at some point. It was at times brutal, but it was largely honest in its way.

Now, cheating is part of the game. It’s simulation, feeling a touch, being professional, his team would have been furious if he’d not gone down, nod and a wink from people like bonehead shearer and luckiest man alive lineker.

It’s cheating and a curse of the game. People screaming as they go down. Holding their faces when they know they weren't touched and it’ll be on camera. It’s pathetic and wrong. It’s little better than Wrestling before the football results on World of Sport all those years ago, unless its clamped down upon.
Another dive by a Liverpool player on 20:42 - Feb 7 with 1594 viewsMattinLondon

Another dive by a Liverpool player on 19:56 - Feb 7 by jeera

Oi, less of the 'oldies'.

You punk kid.

Yes diving became quite the thing in the 80s with a 'Continental' style creeping in with.

That's not to say it hasn't got worse. Cheats stood out back then and were frowned upon, whereas the complaint here is that not only has it become acceptable, but seems to be encouraged by some quarters.

Diving has gotten a lot worse - totally agree with that.

However, I fail to see why diving is considered worse than a defender kicking a striker or pulling on his shirt etc. Diving, you may get a penalty or a yellow card. Kicking or deliberately taking out an opposition player could result in serious injury. Yet many, applaud those defenders from the 70s who seem to enjoy telling people of taking out far more skilful players.

Players who try to get another professional sent off should be met with a retrospective red.
Another dive by a Liverpool player on 21:20 - Feb 7 with 1545 viewsAlanG296

Another dive by a Liverpool player on 18:02 - Feb 7 by dominiciawful

(from BBC live text)

Not condoning Salah's dramatic collapse whatsoever but if the defendant keeps his upper limbs to himself there's no opportunity "to go down". Use of the arms to impede, hold, tug, obstruct etc. is not football.
Another dive by a Liverpool player on 21:23 - Feb 7 with 1541 viewsAlanG296

Another dive by a Liverpool player on 19:01 - Feb 7 by jeera

Totally agree, free kicks and penalties used to be conceded or given away, now they're like a prize to be won.
Another dive by a Liverpool player on 21:33 - Feb 7 with 1530 viewsjaykay

Another dive by a Liverpool player on 19:10 - Feb 7 by MattinLondon

the only reason the players went down in the olden days was, either alan hunter, norman hunter , insert any hard man from the other teams at the time, knocked you into the stands with a tackle.

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

Another dive by a Liverpool player on 21:36 - Feb 7 with 1527 viewsm14_blue

Another dive by a Liverpool player on 20:42 - Feb 7 by MattinLondon

Diving has gotten a lot worse - totally agree with that.

However, I fail to see why diving is considered worse than a defender kicking a striker or pulling on his shirt etc. Diving, you may get a penalty or a yellow card. Kicking or deliberately taking out an opposition player could result in serious injury. Yet many, applaud those defenders from the 70s who seem to enjoy telling people of taking out far more skilful players.

Players who try to get another professional sent off should be met with a retrospective red.

Your last sentence is the whole point.

Diving is trying to gain an advantage by falsely claiming someone on the other team has broken the rules, it’s entirely about cheating your fellow professionals. E
Another dive by a Liverpool player on 21:44 - Feb 7 with 1517 viewsMattinLondon

Another dive by a Liverpool player on 21:33 - Feb 7 by jaykay

the only reason the players went down in the olden days was, either alan hunter, norman hunter , insert any hard man from the other teams at the time, knocked you into the stands with a tackle.

By hard man you mean donkey don’t you.
Another dive by a Liverpool player on 22:11 - Feb 7 with 1486 viewsChurchman

Another dive by a Liverpool player on 21:44 - Feb 7 by MattinLondon

No, Allan Hunter and Norman Hunter could play. Most of these players could. Reaney, Smith, Hughes, Bonds, Harris, Souness, Giles -Butcher and Osman, Kenny Burns and David Needham, Cherry, John Wile: i defy anyone to say they were donkeys. The difference is that the forwards could dish it out and handle themselves too. He may not have looked it, but Paul Mariner was as hard and as durable as hell. He was not alone. Just have a look at a picture/footage of Cyrille Regis.
Another dive by a Liverpool player on 22:17 - Feb 7 with 1476 viewsjaykay

Another dive by a Liverpool player on 21:44 - Feb 7 by MattinLondon

what you saying alan hunter was a donkey

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

Another dive by a Liverpool player on 22:19 - Feb 7 with 1472 viewsjaykay

Another dive by a Liverpool player on 22:11 - Feb 7 by Churchman

No, Allan Hunter and Norman Hunter could play. Most of these players could. Reaney, Smith, Hughes, Bonds, Harris, Souness, Giles -Butcher and Osman, Kenny Burns and David Needham, Cherry, John Wile: i defy anyone to say they were donkeys. The difference is that the forwards could dish it out and handle themselves too. He may not have looked it, but Paul Mariner was as hard and as durable as hell. He was not alone. Just have a look at a picture/footage of Cyrille Regis.

you can add alan clarke , peter osgood to that list of forwards

Another dive by a Liverpool player on 22:39 - Feb 7 with 1456 viewsChurchman

Another dive by a Liverpool player on 22:19 - Feb 7 by jaykay

you can add alan clarke , peter osgood to that list of forwards

And many others. You had to be good and you had to be able to look after yourself. The tackle from behind and the over the top leg breaker were rightly outlawed from the game, but the histrionics, acting and pathetic unpunished antics are a switch off. If people like non contact netball style football, great. You are getting what you want. I prefer a proper balanced contact sport, which football ought to be in my view.

As I’ve said before, there was a lot of self regulation in the game that’s gone now. If you don’t believe me, look up the story of John Wark’s debut at Leicester’s ground against Leeds and Allan Clarke in 1975.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024