Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Bird feeders 09:38 - Feb 8 with 2936 viewsjeera

Sorry to go all a bit hippy or whatever.

But don't forget to top them up this morning.

I did mine earlier and they are packed with hungry birds.

I say birds, about 7 pigeons and one blackbird at present, but [even] they have to eat and do look a bit desperate.

Water too if you can.

Edit: has the added advantage if you get snowed in for a week and run low on food, pigeon is quite versatile...
[Post edited 8 Feb 2021 9:40]

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Bird feeders on 09:40 - Feb 8 with 2590 viewsBloomBlue

The trouble with bird breeders in London is I find I'm mainly feeding the rats rather than the birds. Many a time I've seen rats on bird feeders
Bird feeders on 09:40 - Feb 8 with 2576 viewsjeera

Bird feeders on 09:40 - Feb 8 by BloomBlue

The trouble with bird breeders in London is I find I'm mainly feeding the rats rather than the birds. Many a time I've seen rats on bird feeders

We don't allow rats where I live.

Bird feeders on 09:43 - Feb 8 with 2562 viewsIpswichKnight

Topped up ours yesterday, earlier today the long tailed tits we’re on it. Not much about at the moment here.

We stopped the rat and squirrel from eating it all by putting a anti-squirrel device on the pole that the feeders hang off.
Bird feeders on 09:45 - Feb 8 with 2555 viewsNthQldITFC

And see if they need defrosting too. I stood in the cold in my house clothes last night, breathing on the slits in my Nyjer seed dispenser which had frozen up until they defrosted. Lost a few toes to frostbite, but the Goldfinches are happy.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Bird feeders on 09:47 - Feb 8 with 2545 viewsjeera

Bird feeders on 09:43 - Feb 8 by IpswichKnight

Topped up ours yesterday, earlier today the long tailed tits we’re on it. Not much about at the moment here.

We stopped the rat and squirrel from eating it all by putting a anti-squirrel device on the pole that the feeders hang off.

Not much meat on a long-tailed tit, but you might have more luck with the squirrels I guess.

Not eating rat under any circumstances.

Maybe those use as bait for more squirrels.

Bird feeders on 09:49 - Feb 8 with 2538 viewsjeera

Bird feeders on 09:45 - Feb 8 by NthQldITFC

And see if they need defrosting too. I stood in the cold in my house clothes last night, breathing on the slits in my Nyjer seed dispenser which had frozen up until they defrosted. Lost a few toes to frostbite, but the Goldfinches are happy.

Wouldn't a hairdryer on an extension lead...?

I must admit to not considering breathing on the feeders to defrost them.

I did give them a fine good shake if that counts.

Bird feeders on 09:58 - Feb 8 with 2508 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Bird feeders on 09:47 - Feb 8 by jeera

Not much meat on a long-tailed tit, but you might have more luck with the squirrels I guess.

Not eating rat under any circumstances.

Maybe those use as bait for more squirrels.

Be careful if you eat squirrels as they may contain nuts.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Bird feeders on 09:59 - Feb 8 with 2503 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Bird feeders on 09:40 - Feb 8 by BloomBlue

I've lived in London for more than 10 years and never seen a rat on a bird feeder.

Login to get fewer ads

Bird feeders on 10:02 - Feb 8 with 2496 viewsbluelagos

Was looking at some birds Saturday and wondering what they do when it snows. You'd be right p×ssed off if you migrated here from the artic, for warmer weather and then it snows.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Up north.... on 10:04 - Feb 8 with 2474 viewsBloots

Bird feeders on 10:02 - Feb 8 by bluelagos

Was looking at some birds Saturday and wondering what they do when it snows. You'd be right p×ssed off if you migrated here from the artic, for warmer weather and then it snows.

....most noticeably in Newcastle, they wear even less clothing than in the summer and just go for it.

Boom.

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

Bird feeders on 10:06 - Feb 8 with 2473 viewsSwansea_Blue

I've never lived somewhere with so few birds. We have a feeder but get maybe a few garden birds at most. But more often, just a couple of pigeons. It's a bit weird as I rarely see a cat either, we've no squirrels. We're very close to loads of woodland, so maybe they all happy in their natural habitat (the gardens are quite small and lack cover around us, being newish houses (15-20 yrs old).

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Bird feeders on 10:10 - Feb 8 with 2457 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Bird feeders on 10:06 - Feb 8 by Swansea_Blue

I've never lived somewhere with so few birds. We have a feeder but get maybe a few garden birds at most. But more often, just a couple of pigeons. It's a bit weird as I rarely see a cat either, we've no squirrels. We're very close to loads of woodland, so maybe they all happy in their natural habitat (the gardens are quite small and lack cover around us, being newish houses (15-20 yrs old).

That does sound odd. We back onto some woodland but we still get loads of different types of birds, cats, squirrels and foxes in our (small) garden.

Bird feeders on 10:16 - Feb 8 with 2440 viewsblueconscience

Do you have many squirrels helping themselves to the food?

Poll: What % of ST holders saying they won’t renew, will end up renewing regardless?

Bird feeders on 10:16 - Feb 8 with 2438 viewsSwansea_Blue

Bird feeders on 10:10 - Feb 8 by The_Flashing_Smile

That does sound odd. We back onto some woodland but we still get loads of different types of birds, cats, squirrels and foxes in our (small) garden.

We're probably far enough from the woods that they don't feel safe (half a mile maybe at a push). There's a good chance we've got sparrow hawks too - I've only seen one once over the garden, but with the open gower countryside all around, I suppose they could be several lurking.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Bird feeders on 17:16 - Feb 8 with 2265 viewsjeera

Bird feeders on 10:16 - Feb 8 by blueconscience

Do you have many squirrels helping themselves to the food?

There only seems to be a solitary squirrel here, bizarrely. I'm sure there's more about but he seems to have claimed our courtyard as his territory.

A neighbour has told me he's seen him on the feeder a couple of times but the only access would be a hell of a leap from a wall nearby.

It would take some precision and I'd like to see it myself.

Bird feeders on 18:34 - Feb 8 with 2241 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Bird feeders on 17:16 - Feb 8 by jeera

There only seems to be a solitary squirrel here, bizarrely. I'm sure there's more about but he seems to have claimed our courtyard as his territory.

A neighbour has told me he's seen him on the feeder a couple of times but the only access would be a hell of a leap from a wall nearby.

It would take some precision and I'd like to see it myself.

It's pretty amazing what they can do. This film's a very enjoyable watch.

Bird feeders on 19:12 - Feb 8 with 2221 viewsNthQldITFC

Bird feeders on 18:34 - Feb 8 by The_Flashing_Smile

It's pretty amazing what they can do. This film's a very enjoyable watch.

I'll bet he drinks Carling Black Label.

at the pixelated squirrel bumhole at 2:05, how very 2021!

Bird feeders on 19:18 - Feb 8 with 2209 viewsbrogansnose

Bit concerned this Winter. Last year we had lots of smaller birds visiting the feeders but this Winter just Jackdaws and a few Pigeons.
Bird feeders on 19:24 - Feb 8 with 2200 viewsjeera

Bird feeders on 19:18 - Feb 8 by brogansnose

Bit concerned this Winter. Last year we had lots of smaller birds visiting the feeders but this Winter just Jackdaws and a few Pigeons.

Agree, I'm getting nothing much either here.

I normally begrudge the pigeons steaming in but they looked so desperate I went out and cleared a couple of spots and poured large piles of seed on the ground.

A blackbird sat right on top of one pile and refused to budge, casually picking at the seed around it. Good tactic when there's bullish pigeons around. He didn't look very happy and had a right grim look on his face, if that's possible. Feathers all puffed up and I got the impression he wasn't enjoying the snow.

Bird feeders on 19:33 - Feb 8 with 2190 viewsNthQldITFC

Bird feeders on 19:18 - Feb 8 by brogansnose

Quite lot of Redwings about today coming into the gardens for holly and cotoneaster berries.

Bird feeders on 19:36 - Feb 8 with 2183 viewsbrogansnose

Bird feeders on 19:24 - Feb 8 by jeera

Agree, I'm getting nothing much either here.

I normally begrudge the pigeons steaming in but they looked so desperate I went out and cleared a couple of spots and poured large piles of seed on the ground.

A blackbird sat right on top of one pile and refused to budge, casually picking at the seed around it. Good tactic when there's bullish pigeons around. He didn't look very happy and had a right grim look on his face, if that's possible. Feathers all puffed up and I got the impression he wasn't enjoying the snow.

Like I've said, normally get Blue Tits , various Finches , Sparrows and even Thrushes but this year nothing apart from our seemingly resident Blackbirds. Wondering if this is widespread J.
Bird feeders on 20:19 - Feb 8 with 2149 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Bird feeders on 19:36 - Feb 8 by brogansnose

Like I've said, normally get Blue Tits , various Finches , Sparrows and even Thrushes but this year nothing apart from our seemingly resident Blackbirds. Wondering if this is widespread J.

Dunno where you are broggers, but I think they're all coming to mine. We get all of that lot, plus the wagtails and parakeets.

Bird feeders on 20:23 - Feb 8 with 2142 viewssolemio

Bird feeders on 19:33 - Feb 8 by NthQldITFC

Quite lot of Redwings about today coming into the gardens for holly and cotoneaster berries.

I know it's pronounced C Tony Aster, but I always want to call it Cotton Easter.
Bird feeders on 20:26 - Feb 8 with 2135 viewsjeera

Bird feeders on 20:19 - Feb 8 by The_Flashing_Smile

Dunno where you are broggers, but I think they're all coming to mine. We get all of that lot, plus the wagtails and parakeets.

Well that's where they've all gone then - riddle solved.

They're all in Penge!

*couldn't help it.

Bird feeders on 20:29 - Feb 8 with 2129 viewsbrogansnose

Bird feeders on 20:19 - Feb 8 by The_Flashing_Smile

...........and the Wagtails ? Go on,admit it, you're putting out 'posh bird food.'

A couple of years ago I was working in North Finchley and was surprised by the amount of Parakeets flying around, bloody noisy too.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024