Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Player contracts 16:17 - Mar 8 with 2050 viewswrightsrightglove

With the takeover hopefully happening soon, will their first item on the list be contract negotiations for some of our soon to be out of contract players or do we think they’ll wait and see how the season pans out and give PC a bit more time to assess the players? Not sure who exactly I would want tied down before the end of the season really.
Player contracts on 16:22 - Mar 8 with 2006 viewsRadlett_blue

I'd be happy to see most of the out of contract players leave. Trigger Bishop's extension & that of Jackson (so we can sell him as he won't fit into Cook's 4-2-3-1 either) & offer Edwards a new deal, if Cook thinks he can find a way of making him more consistent.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Player contracts on 16:36 - Mar 8 with 1969 viewsParsley

The salary cap may have been scrapped but I'd be surprised if there isn't something else similar in place for next season so might have to wait and see what form that takes
Player contracts on 16:39 - Mar 8 with 1955 viewsmonty_radio

Having name-checked and praised certain players already, and spoken briefly of the value of experience, I doubt he would want rid of Chambers, Wilson, Skuse, Bishop and Judge. I'm guessing that Huws has just weeks to stake a claim.

Players such as Nydam, Gibbs, El Mizouni, Morris, Folami, Z.Brown, K.Brown he would probably have liked more time to look at. I guess he can take reports of Folami on trust and watch the videos. I think that the club would probably feel responsibility for such as Nydam and Morris - possibly 1 year extensions to prove their worth, though the limits on squad make that very difficult now - effectively adding trial players to your allowance. Taking up extensions on Jackson might depend on offers? But you can't just strip out completely and rebuild given the budget limitations and the EFL squad rules.
[Post edited 8 Mar 2021 16:45]

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

Player contracts on 16:40 - Mar 8 with 1954 viewschrismakin

I almost would like a complete Football Manager style reset, get rid of as many of the current town squad and rebuild properly

sit down, work out what recruitment policy the club is going to have
what size of squad they want to work with per season
when contract negotations begin, rather than as and when as it seems to be with town for years

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

Player contracts on 16:44 - Mar 8 with 1941 viewsRadlett_blue

Player contracts on 16:39 - Mar 8 by monty_radio

Having name-checked and praised certain players already, and spoken briefly of the value of experience, I doubt he would want rid of Chambers, Wilson, Skuse, Bishop and Judge. I'm guessing that Huws has just weeks to stake a claim.

Players such as Nydam, Gibbs, El Mizouni, Morris, Folami, Z.Brown, K.Brown he would probably have liked more time to look at. I guess he can take reports of Folami on trust and watch the videos. I think that the club would probably feel responsibility for such as Nydam and Morris - possibly 1 year extensions to prove their worth, though the limits on squad make that very difficult now - effectively adding trial players to your allowance. Taking up extensions on Jackson might depend on offers? But you can't just strip out completely and rebuild given the budget limitations and the EFL squad rules.
[Post edited 8 Mar 2021 16:45]

Town don't have an extension on Edwards's contract. This was triggered last year so he is definitely out of contract in the summer. Therefore, I wouldn't blame him if he didn't push himself too hard between now & the end of the season.

Player contracts on 16:47 - Mar 8 with 1929 viewsmonty_radio

Player contracts on 16:40 - Mar 8 by chrismakin

I almost would like a complete Football Manager style reset, get rid of as many of the current town squad and rebuild properly

sit down, work out what recruitment policy the club is going to have
what size of squad they want to work with per season
when contract negotations begin, rather than as and when as it seems to be with town for years

That, and new owners would constitute more than a close=season's worth of work. In the real world Cook will doubtless have his plan in mind, but also be aware of the limitations from so many angles.

Player contracts on 16:52 - Mar 8 with 1920 viewsKieran_Knows

Holy - get rid.
Ward - get rid.
Chambers - keep.
Wilson - keep (just).
Woolfenden - keep.
Edwards - keep.
Skuse - keep (just).
Jackson - sell.
Norwood - keep (just).
Nolan - 50/50.
Donacien - sell.
Wright - get rid.
Lankester - keep.
Bishop - keep.
Nydam - keep.
Judge - 50/50.
Sears - get rid.
Downes - keep.
Nsiala - get rid.
Dozzell - keep.
KVY - keep - but will he ever be fit?
Drinan - get rid.
Cornell - get rid.
Kenlock - 50/50.
Hawkins - 50/50.
Dobra - keep.
Huws - get rid.

I can't see any of the loanees staying on next season again either.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Player contracts on 16:52 - Mar 8 with 1916 viewsjayessess

With the exception of a new contract for Bishop and triggering Jackson's extension, I don't think there's any out of contract players I'd want kept regardless of circumstances.

But, that's a lot of players, so I think you'd want to know what was possible in terms of recruitment before you made the decision?

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Login to get fewer ads

Player contracts on 16:59 - Mar 8 with 1893 viewschrismakin

Player contracts on 16:52 - Mar 8 by Kieran_Knows

Holy - get rid.
Ward - get rid.
Chambers - keep.
Wilson - keep (just).
Woolfenden - keep.
Edwards - keep.
Skuse - keep (just).
Jackson - sell.
Norwood - keep (just).
Nolan - 50/50.
Donacien - sell.
Wright - get rid.
Lankester - keep.
Bishop - keep.
Nydam - keep.
Judge - 50/50.
Sears - get rid.
Downes - keep.
Nsiala - get rid.
Dozzell - keep.
Drinan - get rid.
Cornell - get rid.
Kenlock - 50/50.
Hawkins - 50/50.
Dobra - keep.
Huws - get rid.

Midfield will be interesting

He rates Nolan, as he should, hes a talented box to box midfielder and likes to arrive late into the box and get goals.

i'd cash in on Dozzell if the offers are there, just because sometimes you have to take the money if it helps to go forwards, and it's not like we have alot of players people will give alot of money for.

Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?

Player contracts on 17:16 - Mar 8 with 1855 viewsjayessess

Holy - get rid.
Ward - get rid.
Chambers - keep.
Wilson - keep (just).
Woolfenden - keep.
Edwards - keep.
Skuse - keep (just).
Jackson - sell.
Norwood - keep (just).
Nolan - 50/50.
Donacien - sell.
Wright - get rid.
Lankester - keep.
Bishop - keep.
Nydam - keep.
Judge - 50/50.
Sears - get rid.
Downes - keep.
Nsiala - get rid.
Dozzell - keep.
Drinan - get rid.
Cornell - get rid.
Kenlock - 50/50.
Hawkins - 50/50.
Dobra - keep.
Huws - get rid.

By my count, for 4-2-3-1 and a squad of 22, we'd then need to recruit or promote players from the U23s to the tune of:

2 keepers,
1 right back (assuming KVY is fit)
1 or 2 left backs (depending on Kenlock)
1 centre back
2 or 3 centre midfielders (if you keep Nolan)
1 or 2 wide forwards (if you keep Judge and Edwards signs a deal)
0 or 1 centre forwards (if you keep Hawkins and you're happy with Norwood and Hawkins as your only options)

A lot of recruitment work to do, whilst also trying to offload at least 4 and possibly 7 under contract players!
[Post edited 8 Mar 2021 17:18]

Player contracts on 17:18 - Mar 8 with 1841 viewsmonty_radio

Player contracts on 16:52 - Mar 8 by jayessess

With the exception of a new contract for Bishop and triggering Jackson's extension, I don't think there's any out of contract players I'd want kept regardless of circumstances.

But, that's a lot of players, so I think you'd want to know what was possible in terms of recruitment before you made the decision?

But if the circumstances are as they have been with Nydam and Morris it could come back to bite. I realise "could" is where the decision lies, but Cook will want to assess his options as reliably as he can without too much to go on in a few cases.

Player contracts on 17:22 - Mar 8 with 1823 viewsRadlett_blue

Holy - get rid.
Ward - get rid.
Chambers - keep.
Wilson - keep (just).
Woolfenden - keep.
Edwards - keep.
Skuse - keep (just).
Jackson - sell.
Norwood - keep (just).
Nolan - 50/50.
Donacien - sell.
Wright - get rid.
Lankester - keep.
Bishop - keep.
Nydam - keep.
Judge - 50/50.
Sears - get rid.
Downes - keep.
Nsiala - get rid.
Dozzell - keep.
Drinan - get rid.
Cornell - get rid.
Kenlock - 50/50.
Hawkins - 50/50.
Dobra - keep.
Huws - get rid.

I doubt getting rid of players under contract will be high on Cook's list, unless they can be sold to raise funds for new purchases. Jackson is a classic example of Town's mismanagement. He didn't fit into Lambert's 4-3-3 & it's hard to see him fitting much better into cook's 4-2-3-1. We had offers of over £1m in the summer, but kept on to a player who has barely featured & now will be worth next to nothing.
I really wouldn't offer Chambers or Skuse new contracts. I thought it was daft to give Skuse a new deal last summer & so it proved.

Player contracts on 17:23 - Mar 8 with 1823 viewswkj

Holy - get rid.
Ward - get rid.
Chambers - keep.
Wilson - keep (just).
Woolfenden - keep.
Edwards - keep.
Skuse - keep (just).
Jackson - sell.
Norwood - keep (just).
Nolan - 50/50.
Donacien - sell.
Wright - get rid.
Lankester - keep.
Bishop - keep.
Nydam - keep.
Judge - 50/50.
Sears - get rid.
Downes - keep.
Nsiala - get rid.
Dozzell - keep.
Drinan - get rid.
Cornell - get rid.
Kenlock - 50/50.
Hawkins - 50/50.
Dobra - keep.
Huws - get rid.

I bet you Cook will get something out of Donacien - He isn't really doing a bad job at Fleetwood.

Norwood I would sell with mind to replace with someone better. He's been one of the better players this season, but he's nowhere near what we need in attack.

Nsiala is an odd one, I would not shut the door on him just yet, but he needs to round off his rough edges sooner rather than later.

Kenlock I would keep, clearly he is a better player if he has a strong partner on the left side, and left sided fullbacks are a difficult role to fill.

Otherwise I agree with the list you've written.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Player contracts on 17:23 - Mar 8 with 1817 viewsjayessess

Player contracts on 17:18 - Mar 8 by monty_radio

But if the circumstances are as they have been with Nydam and Morris it could come back to bite. I realise "could" is where the decision lies, but Cook will want to assess his options as reliably as he can without too much to go on in a few cases.

I don't think Nydam and Morris are particularly tricky ones really. They're unlikely to have lucrative offers from elsewhere, so there's not going to much money at stake.

Player contracts on 17:27 - Mar 8 with 1805 viewsjayessess

Player contracts on 17:23 - Mar 8 by wkj

I bet you Cook will get something out of Donacien - He isn't really doing a bad job at Fleetwood.

Norwood I would sell with mind to replace with someone better. He's been one of the better players this season, but he's nowhere near what we need in attack.

Nsiala is an odd one, I would not shut the door on him just yet, but he needs to round off his rough edges sooner rather than later.

Kenlock I would keep, clearly he is a better player if he has a strong partner on the left side, and left sided fullbacks are a difficult role to fill.

Hard to see what value we're going to realise on a 30-year-old striker with a big contract, recurrent injury problems and a mixed goalscoring record in League 1.

Player contracts on 17:28 - Mar 8 with 1802 viewschrismakin

Player contracts on 17:27 - Mar 8 by jayessess

Hard to see what value we're going to realise on a 30-year-old striker with a big contract, recurrent injury problems and a mixed goalscoring record in League 1.

Find £3 mill and go get oliver!!!

Player contracts on 17:28 - Mar 8 with 1803 viewsmonty_radio

At 28 I doubt that Toto is going to eliminate those mistakes whch have prevented him from linking his great athleticism to solid reliability. Conversely, for me, Kenlock. good though some recent performances have been is too often corralled into channels where a modicum of right foot would be in order. All about opinions, I guess.

Player contracts on 17:32 - Mar 8 with 1790 viewsRadlett_blue

Unless Cook has been watching Donacien or is prepared to rely on Gill's view of him, he won't have a chance to assess him before his contract is up in June. We do have a year's extension, but will we trigger it? Can't see him having much selling value. He was on the bench for Fleetwood on Saturday.
Nsiala is a typical big lump of a lower league centre half. Cook seems to like units so he will be considering what sort of CB combo he wants for next season. I still think Woolfenden could have a role at right back.
Kenlock has generally been good on his return to the side & is a player I think could be good at this level with decent coaching.

Player contracts on 17:34 - Mar 8 with 1779 viewswkj

Player contracts on 17:27 - Mar 8 by jayessess

What we need is Harry Redknapp to take over a team, then we might be in with a chance as there will finally be a team worse than us in the transfer market.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Player contracts on 17:36 - Mar 8 with 1771 viewsmonty_radio

Player contracts on 17:23 - Mar 8 by jayessess

I don't think Nydam and Morris are particularly tricky ones really. They're unlikely to have lucrative offers from elsewhere, so there's not going to much money at stake.

agreed - but they still bulk out the numbers.

Player contracts on 17:44 - Mar 8 with 1737 viewsjayessess

Player contracts on 17:36 - Mar 8 by monty_radio

agreed - but they still bulk out the numbers.

true, although we're not obliged to register them just because they're under contract

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024