Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
This new legislation coming forward tomorrow... 18:51 - Mar 14 with 2172 viewsbluelagos

Reading lots of concerning issues on our rights re protest etc. Does anyone know if it has to go through the House of Lords for scrutiny? Surely they'll tear apart the dodgy parts?

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

This new legislation coming forward tomorrow... on 20:45 - Mar 15 with 290 viewsNthsuffolkblue

This new legislation coming forward tomorrow... on 19:02 - Mar 15 by ArnoldMoorhen

And there are just enough tummy ticklers for Sun editors (longer sentences for rapists) that people could be made to be very confused:

"What? Labour voted against the Law to make rapists stay in prison?"

Isn't the usual way to deal with that sort of thing to propose amendments or is that not possible with this bill for some reason?

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

This new legislation coming forward tomorrow... on 20:52 - Mar 15 with 277 viewsmonytowbray

This new legislation coming forward tomorrow... on 18:03 - Mar 15 by Lord_Lucan

The only actual bit I have read (and I only skimmed it) seemed to be aimed at single person protest and the bit I read seemed to be solely aimed at that crank who disrupted every interview outside HOP.

Wait until corporations start throwing this at people in court.

Slippery slope, a terrifying one.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

This new legislation coming forward tomorrow... on 21:00 - Mar 15 with 257 viewsNthsuffolkblue

This new legislation coming forward tomorrow... on 20:52 - Mar 15 by monytowbray

Wait until corporations start throwing this at people in court.

Slippery slope, a terrifying one.

Indeed, who legislation is aimed at is far less important than who it gets applied to once it is passed.

This may well suit those who are happy with everything this Government does at this time. However, I wonder how they will feel when a Government of any persuasion starts doing things fundamentally opposed to things that really matter to them and their power of objecting (or others doing so on their behalf) is entirely gone.

The removal of the right to protest is something only dictatorships tend to do. I wonder how Amnesty International view it. Although, then again this Government had as one of its primary objectives of Brexit leaving the international courts of human rights that were originally set up by this country to bring civility to countries once considered more backward.

This new legislation coming forward tomorrow... on 21:10 - Mar 15 with 245 viewsCrawfordsboot

This new legislation coming forward tomorrow... on 20:04 - Mar 15 by bluelagos

Simple question.

Is 10 years proportiinate for people involved in direct action? And if you say yes, I'd simply remind you that Mandela, Rosa Parks and Emiline Pankhurst, to name but 3, all were active participants in direct action.

You are focussing on the potential introduction of a sentence of up to 10 years under new legislation re protests. I have emphasised in each of my posts that I do not think this sort of legislation is needed and I do not expect it to pass. It should not be introduced.

Turning to direct action. Is 10 years proportionate for someone who chains themselves to a gate. Of course not. On the other hand if you blow up my diesel powered car as a form of climate protest and I happen to be collateral damage I might well think 10 years appropriate..

Getting to the limit of my thinking process this evening so time for a whisky :)
This new legislation coming forward tomorrow... on 21:15 - Mar 15 with 240 viewsNthsuffolkblue

This new legislation coming forward tomorrow... on 21:10 - Mar 15 by Crawfordsboot

You are focussing on the potential introduction of a sentence of up to 10 years under new legislation re protests. I have emphasised in each of my posts that I do not think this sort of legislation is needed and I do not expect it to pass. It should not be introduced.

Turning to direct action. Is 10 years proportionate for someone who chains themselves to a gate. Of course not. On the other hand if you blow up my diesel powered car as a form of climate protest and I happen to be collateral damage I might well think 10 years appropriate..

Getting to the limit of my thinking process this evening so time for a whisky :)

Why do you not think it will pass?

The example you quote is already covered in counter-terrorism and rioting legislation. You are not comparing with what this legislation covers.

EDIT: Indeed, having re-read your comment "I happen to be collateral damage" manslaughter laws too.
[Post edited 15 Mar 2021 21:20]

This new legislation coming forward tomorrow... on 21:15 - Mar 15 with 240 viewsArnoldMoorhen

This new legislation coming forward tomorrow... on 19:47 - Mar 15 by Crawfordsboot

The need for proportionate powers I agree.

The need to ensure that laws designed to control extremes such as terrorism and the like should never be used to limit protests etc. I agree. I suggested the police do not need greater powers, they need greater clarity on what is or isn’t allowed and on how they should be policed.

As for your final point regarding those who took direct action by attaching themselves to a jumbo jet I’m not so sure. I didn’t follow the detail and therefore I’m not commenting on those specifics however I think there is a discussion to be had in principle about the difference between protest and direct action. The conflict between my rights and yours. I don’t have the answer but certainly I view protest and direct action through a different lens.

The thing about protest is we may not agree with every protest. Sometimes we may agree with the cause but not the method. Sometimes we may think that the kind of eccentric who stands shouting on street corners or chaining themselves to railings is a bit of a nutter.

But thanks to them, the Government is reminded that they are being watched. That they can't take things for granted.

This Government has already moved against the independence of the BBC. Comedy shows have been cancelled, journalists have been moved on.

This Government is determined to ensure that they can't be watched.

What have they got to hide?
This new legislation coming forward tomorrow... on 21:26 - Mar 15 with 223 viewsmonytowbray

This new legislation coming forward tomorrow... on 21:00 - Mar 15 by Nthsuffolkblue

Indeed, who legislation is aimed at is far less important than who it gets applied to once it is passed.

This may well suit those who are happy with everything this Government does at this time. However, I wonder how they will feel when a Government of any persuasion starts doing things fundamentally opposed to things that really matter to them and their power of objecting (or others doing so on their behalf) is entirely gone.

The removal of the right to protest is something only dictatorships tend to do. I wonder how Amnesty International view it. Although, then again this Government had as one of its primary objectives of Brexit leaving the international courts of human rights that were originally set up by this country to bring civility to countries once considered more backward.

You know it will pass and by freak Tory accident/luck the first protest to kick up a fuss where this gets applied is a Gammon parade of WOKE WARS w@nkers angry about a statue.

And then somehow the fact they are inside on unjust sentences will be because of the cancel culture left and immigrants according to GB News, Andrew Neil, Tom Hunt and Glasgowblue.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024