Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Friday music time. Most underrated bands. 09:40 - Mar 19 with 6574 viewsLord_Lucan

I am going to suggest a strange one because they were actually one of the biggest bands of the 70's - but should have been even bigger, they are also overlooked these days because of the glam connection.

I read Dave Hills autobiography recently and he said Slade were in the right place ant the right time but I disagree, I think if it wasn't for Glam and if they had dressed normally they would have been much bigger.

Ozzy has said that Noddy Holder has / had the best voice in the history of rock and I'm not sure you can argue much against that.

On top of Noddy you had the ultimate showman and great guitarist in Dave Hill, Jim Lea was a hugely talented musician and Don Powell was the banging man

Unfortunately they moved out to America to try and crack the USA but it was the wrong time and when they returned Punk Rock was in full flow.

Noel Gallagher has said that this song is one of the greatest songs of all time.

I think this is probably my favourite

Or this?

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Friday music time. Most underrated bands. on 23:24 - Mar 19 with 906 viewsLord_Lucan

Friday music time. Most underrated bands. on 22:45 - Mar 19 by vapour_trail

Commercially massive but critically underrated (I imagine they’re not arsed)

I think it's because Mark Knopfler was a knob.

I used to play them back to back in my Vauxhall Victor and Skateaway was outstanding - amongst others.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

Friday music time. Most underrated bands. on 23:25 - Mar 19 with 905 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

Suede. Should and could have been mahoosive.

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

Friday music time. Most underrated bands. on 23:26 - Mar 19 with 891 viewsbluewein

Friday music time. Most underrated bands. on 23:25 - Mar 19 by StochesStotasBlewe

Suede. Should and could have been mahoosive.

I'm going to (hopefully) see them this year at Ally Pally for the 25th anniversary of Coming Up which is easily in my top 10 albums of all time...
[Post edited 19 Mar 2021 23:28]

Poll: What should you have your gammon with...?

Friday music time. Most underrated bands. on 23:31 - Mar 19 with 876 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

Friday music time. Most underrated bands. on 23:26 - Mar 19 by bluewein

I'm going to (hopefully) see them this year at Ally Pally for the 25th anniversary of Coming Up which is easily in my top 10 albums of all time...
[Post edited 19 Mar 2021 23:28]

You're in for a treat fella

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

Friday music time. Most underrated bands. on 23:45 - Mar 19 with 856 viewsGodzilla

Friday music time. Most underrated bands. on 23:57 - Mar 19 with 835 viewsLord_Lucan

At the risk of being negatively fingered I don't think some of these bands stand up to the title.

However

[Post edited 20 Mar 2021 0:00]

Friday music time. Most underrated bands. on 00:02 - Mar 20 with 828 viewsGodzilla

Friday music time. Most underrated bands. on 23:57 - Mar 19 by Lord_Lucan

At the risk of being negatively fingered I don't think some of these bands stand up to the title.

However

[Post edited 20 Mar 2021 0:00]

Great band even without Wilko
Friday music time. Most underrated bands. on 00:12 - Mar 20 with 816 viewsLord_Lucan

Friday music time. Most underrated bands. on 00:02 - Mar 20 by Godzilla

Yeah but you can't really go on without Wilko or Brilleaux.

Wilko is actually still clinging on isn't he???!!!

Login to get fewer ads

Friday music time. Most underrated bands. on 00:12 - Mar 20 with 816 viewsCrayonKing

Not quite grungy enough to be popular with the grunge kids and not radio-friendly enough to be at the forefront of the Britrock wave. I listened to On The Turn the other day and it still stands up as one of the best rock albums of that era IMO.

Honourable mentions to Baby Chaos and Honeycrack while I'm on the subject of under-rated late-90s rock bands!
Friday music time. Most underrated bands. on 00:47 - Mar 20 with 803 viewsLord_Lucan

Friday music time. Most underrated bands. on 00:02 - Mar 20 by Godzilla

And here's also the thing.

Look at these kids here doing their own sh1t. It's a bit of punk meets Northern Soul

It's tremendous. There are no youth cultures these days. It's all going wrong.

SOCIAL MEDIA IS A KILLER!

Friday music time. Most underrated bands. on 01:05 - Mar 20 with 797 viewsLord_Lucan

And then when you think about it you have a genuine underrated pairing.

Wilko is in town again!

Friday music time. Most underrated bands. on 01:49 - Mar 20 with 791 viewshoppy

I'll throw in The The...

Just a small selection of underrated brilliance...

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Friday music time. Most underrated bands. on 02:04 - Mar 20 with 788 viewshoppy

James.

Looking forward to seeing them again in December (hopefully, covid allowing!)
[Post edited 20 Mar 2021 2:23]

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Friday music time. Most underrated bands. on 07:43 - Mar 20 with 757 viewsGlasgowBlue

Friday music time. Most underrated bands. on 01:49 - Mar 20 by hoppy

I'll throw in The The...

Just a small selection of underrated brilliance...

I used to have Dusk in continual play around about 1993. Matt a Johnson and Johnny Marr were a great combination.

Infected doesn’t have a bad song on it. Great album with Neneh Cherry in backing vocals.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Friday music time. Most underrated bands. on 08:02 - Mar 20 with 742 viewsGlasgowBlue

Friday music time. Most underrated bands. on 10:57 - Mar 19 by You_Bloo_Right

Not sure he entirely fits the bill of underrated but Elvis Costello has to be up there for me.

Of course when he finally pops his clogs the radio stations will play Oliver's Army and A Good Year for the Roses whereas from a huge back catalogue there are many better songs. A personal favourite ..

Then of course there is the ultimate underrated band Big Star.

Declan has a massive body of work and produced some brilliant albums. Some of his lesser known records such as Trust and Imperial Bedroom are my favourites.

His demos with Paul McCartney are worth a listen to. They really should have made a proper album together. Missed opportunity.

Although when he does eventually pop his clogs I shall be mostly playing this. Is so sad.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Friday music time. Most underrated bands. on 11:01 - Mar 20 with 703 viewsLord_Lucan

The band that couldn't play - but made one of the most influential albums in the history of man.

This concert is a great watch. My mate went along, unfortunately I missed it.

Great bit of audience watching as well. All the guys and gals going for it.

It's like a cocaine induced Chas and Dave concert.
[Post edited 20 Mar 2021 11:04]

Friday music time. Most underrated bands. on 11:31 - Mar 20 with 690 viewsEnigma_Blue

Talk Talk should have been massive.

Rialto were as good as Pulp.

Talking Heads were one the most innovative of the 80s. David Byrne is a genius.
Friday music time. Most underrated bands. on 14:13 - Mar 23 with 597 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Just thought of another couple.

And this is actor Ryan Gosling and a mate (who met and bonded over music when they were dating a pair of sisters). They only made one album. The intention was to create an eerie musical but they ended up scrapping the stage part and just made an album of the music. Could've been bigger on the evidence of the album, but for Gosling's acting career.

[Post edited 23 Mar 2021 14:15]

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024