Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Friday music time. Most underrated bands. 09:40 - Mar 19 with 6573 viewsLord_Lucan

I am going to suggest a strange one because they were actually one of the biggest bands of the 70's - but should have been even bigger, they are also overlooked these days because of the glam connection.

I read Dave Hills autobiography recently and he said Slade were in the right place ant the right time but I disagree, I think if it wasn't for Glam and if they had dressed normally they would have been much bigger.

Ozzy has said that Noddy Holder has / had the best voice in the history of rock and I'm not sure you can argue much against that.

On top of Noddy you had the ultimate showman and great guitarist in Dave Hill, Jim Lea was a hugely talented musician and Don Powell was the banging man

Unfortunately they moved out to America to try and crack the USA but it was the wrong time and when they returned Punk Rock was in full flow.

Noel Gallagher has said that this song is one of the greatest songs of all time.

I think this is probably my favourite

Or this?

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Friday music time. Most underrated bands. on 18:30 - Mar 19 with 1548 viewsBlueandTruesince82

Friday music time. Most underrated bands. on 17:38 - Mar 19 by The_Flashing_Smile

You know calling someone a massive weapon is a derogatory term, right?!

Maybe where you come from.... my way it is used to refer to someone who is deadly but in a non actual killing sense.

In this instance Wendy James is a weapon because she's so good she was banned by 47 states. An absolute slayer.

Poll: Will Phil ever confirm we are actually close on a signing ever again

Friday music time. Most underrated bands. on 18:35 - Mar 19 with 1541 viewsthebooks

Friday music time. Most underrated bands. on 10:02 - Mar 19 by Mookamoo

I know they're important, but The Kinks. They had Dave Davies at the John Peel Centre a couple of years ago and they had to explain to almost everyone who he was. Everyone eventually gets into the Beatles, Stones and Zep, but somehow the Kinks pass people by.

For my generation - The Screaming Trees or Fugazi

Isn’t that so... I don’t know what the word is with Dave Davies. Sad? You could make a decent argument for him inventing rock ‘n’ roll as we know it in the UK, and of course The Kinks are the greatest British band of all time (excluding The Fall, I guess). And then Paul McCartney is worth £3.8bn or whatever.

But the Kinks aren’t underrated, I’d argue, just under-exposed compared to The Stones and The Beatles.

Agree on Fugazi.

Black Sabbath would be my other one. The original Slade call is right too. Any Brum bad. Wizard.
Friday music time. Most underrated bands. on 18:39 - Mar 19 with 1532 viewsthebooks

Friday music time. Most underrated bands. on 10:42 - Mar 19 by footers

On a similar tip to some others, I'd say the Blue Orchids were nowhere near as big as they should have been. For a post-punk band anyway.

They’re good, aren’t they? Had a rather obvious other Mancunian band overshadowing them, of course, who were probably also very underrated.
Friday music time. Most underrated bands. on 18:48 - Mar 19 with 1521 viewsChiefXL

Radiohead is the correct answer

Even the people who think they're the greatest band of all time are underrating them

Tip and a wink to Creedence and The Band though...
Friday music time. Most underrated bands. on 18:49 - Mar 19 with 1519 viewsfabian_illness

Friday music time. Most underrated bands. on 10:10 - Mar 19 by Lord_Lucan

I don't know why it is but I have an irrational problem with The Kinks. In theory they should be one of my favourite bands and I don't dislike them, I just have a bit of a mental block with them. I think it's a Ray Davis problem.

When he shacked up with Chrissie Hynde that was the straw that broke the camels back.

I'll raise you The Small Faces.

Small faces are a good shout.

I’m going to throw a slight curveball with The Doors.

Friday music time. Most underrated bands. on 19:21 - Mar 19 with 1490 viewsGlasgowBlue

Noddy was offered the chance to replace Bon Scott in AC/DC but stayed with Slade out of loyalty. Even though they were in their wilderness years.

The best thing to happen to them was Ozzy pulling out of the Reading Rock Festival. They filled in as last minute replacements, carried their own instruments as they couldn't afford roadies and they blew the crowd away.

A few months later they were back in the charts with this banger

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Friday music time. Most underrated bands. on 19:54 - Mar 19 with 1475 viewsJamestownPrince

Loved Slade, their very early stuff was fantastic, and also underated was the "Rock revival" stuff from the 80's

Nice to see Thunder and Cheap Trick given a mention on here - Cheap Trick are massive Roy Wood fans (have seen them collaborate in concert..) The Move and the associated acts in the Midlands in the 60's moved music on more outwardly than the Merseyside stuff in my view
Friday music time. Most underrated bands. on 19:55 - Mar 19 with 1474 viewsJamestownPrince

I was going to link "Fire Brigade", but this ones a less known one from The Move.

Login to get fewer ads

Friday music time. Most underrated bands. on 20:08 - Mar 19 with 1459 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

On a contemporary note...

...even through the nostalgia goggles Slade are still sh1t. Sorry!

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Friday music time. Most underrated bands. on 20:23 - Mar 19 with 1448 viewsMelford

This was in the Guardian last week
https://www.theguardian.com/music/2021/mar/08/slade-guitarist-dave-hill-stroke-d

Dragging TWTD into the gutter since 2009
Poll: What do you call this site?

Friday music time. Most underrated bands. on 20:25 - Mar 19 with 1443 viewsMelford

Friday music time. Most underrated bands. on 20:08 - Mar 19 by BanksterDebtSlave

On a contemporary note...

...even through the nostalgia goggles Slade are still sh1t. Sorry!

These two for me. Both should have been massive.

Dragging TWTD into the gutter since 2009
Poll: What do you call this site?

Friday music time. Most underrated bands. on 20:25 - Mar 19 with 1443 viewsgarygboltonblue

Friday music time. Most underrated bands. on 20:23 - Mar 19 by Melford

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2021/mar/08/slade-guitarist-dave-hill-stroke-d

So good , thank you lord
Friday music time. Most underrated bands. on 20:33 - Mar 19 with 1438 viewsLord_Lucan

Friday music time. Most underrated bands. on 20:23 - Mar 19 by Melford

I do have a slight problem with Dave Hill of late.

Don Powell is Mr Nice Guy and if he says he was sacked by email I am inclined to believe him.

This has muddied my feelings about Dave Hill because if truth be known I am a bit of an old softy and it seems very poor to have treated him like that.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

Friday music time. Most underrated bands. on 22:23 - Mar 19 with 1398 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Friday music time. Most underrated bands. on 22:29 - Mar 19 with 1389 viewsLord_Lucan

Friday music time. Most underrated bands. on 22:23 - Mar 19 by BanksterDebtSlave

Your opinion is invalid Banker you badmouthed Slade

I bid you good day!

Friday music time. Most underrated bands. on 22:32 - Mar 19 with 1385 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Friday music time. Most underrated bands. on 22:29 - Mar 19 by Lord_Lucan

Your opinion is invalid Banker you badmouthed Slade

I bid you good day!

Tbf 'Coz I Luv You' was a passable pop ditty.

Edit...and you can call me Steve! ;)
[Post edited 19 Mar 2021 22:35]

Friday music time. Most underrated bands. on 22:35 - Mar 19 with 1377 viewsLord_Lucan

Friday music time. Most underrated bands. on 22:32 - Mar 19 by BanksterDebtSlave

Tbf 'Coz I Luv You' was a passable pop ditty.

Edit...and you can call me Steve! ;)
[Post edited 19 Mar 2021 22:35]

Ha ha

I'll give you one thing - you are a proper anarchist - unlike the Poundshop TW4TS.

Nice to have met you (briefly)

Friday music time. Most underrated bands. on 22:36 - Mar 19 with 1375 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Friday music time. Most underrated bands. on 22:35 - Mar 19 by Lord_Lucan

Ha ha

I'll give you one thing - you are a proper anarchist - unlike the Poundshop TW4TS.

Nice to have met you (briefly)

Likewise x

Friday music time. Most underrated bands. on 22:43 - Mar 19 with 1367 viewsvapour_trail

Great thread. We will have to do over rather next.

A few from me. This dude is rated but massively underrated:

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

Friday music time. Most underrated bands. on 22:45 - Mar 19 with 1363 viewsvapour_trail

Commercially massive but critically underrated (I imagine they’re not arsed)

Friday music time. Most underrated bands. on 22:47 - Mar 19 with 1362 viewsJimmyJazz

Friday music time. Most underrated bands. on 10:40 - Mar 19 by DebsyAngel

Lots of bands I could list, but will just do this one for now. They of course had a few hits here but not enough for my liking. This was one that wasn't a Top 40 hit and it deserved better.

I liked them eventually. The problem with Flock of Seagulls was that they made a splash in the US before the UK, so the music press were against them from the start as some kind of manufactured (for the American market) sell outs. See also the Fixx

Poll: If we could perm sign just one, which would it be?
Blog: Top Championship Teams?

Friday music time. Most underrated bands. on 22:47 - Mar 19 with 1361 viewsvapour_trail

And just basically, underrated

RIP

Friday music time. Most underrated bands. on 22:53 - Mar 19 with 1352 viewsGodzilla

I luv Slade.
bit random, but Ooberman should have amounted to more

Friday music time. Most underrated bands. on 23:15 - Mar 19 with 1335 viewsbluewein

Friday music time. Most underrated bands. on 10:02 - Mar 19 by Mookamoo

I know they're important, but The Kinks. They had Dave Davies at the John Peel Centre a couple of years ago and they had to explain to almost everyone who he was. Everyone eventually gets into the Beatles, Stones and Zep, but somehow the Kinks pass people by.

For my generation - The Screaming Trees or Fugazi

The Kinks are the most underrated band of all time hands down.

This pretty much sums up why it never happened for them. (For those who don't want to read the full link, the yanks were jealous of the British invasion and needed someone to make an example of. Sadly, it was at the expense of the cleverest and most talented bands of the 60s...)

https://faroutmagazine.co.uk/the-kinks-ray-davies-banned-from-usa-america/
[Post edited 19 Mar 2021 23:18]

Poll: What should you have your gammon with...?

Friday music time. Most underrated bands. on 23:16 - Mar 19 with 1331 viewsbluewein

Currently got Nick Drake on. This guy never got the credit he deserved either...

Poll: What should you have your gammon with...?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024