Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The 1975 FA Cup Semi Final memories 15:58 - Apr 7 with 5268 viewsITFC_nostalgia

I wondered if anyone had memories of the 1975 FA Cup Semi Final v West Ham. Was the first match as dull as i think? Obviously the replay was dominated by C**ve Th***s (didn't want to swear ) but am I right in thinking it was a pretty even game generally?
The 1975 FA Cup Semi Final memories on 16:28 - Apr 9 with 850 viewsgazzer1999

The 1975 FA Cup Semi Final memories on 10:45 - Apr 9 by muhrensleftfoot

I have an intense dislike of West Ham ever since, even more so than Norwich. The so-called "academy of football" kicked us off the pitch with their dirty tactics at Villa Park. My other memory from the 1st game was being desperate for a pee, and not able to move as we were so rammed in together. The replay at Stamford Bridge was daylight robbery helped by ref Clive Thomas. Got very cold and wet too. Then queuing for the Underground with loads of West Ham fans singing "Blowing Bubbles". I can't hear that song without remembering that horrible night.

I'm with you on the dislike of the spammers, I only liked them to win 2 games a year when playing the nodge. Some colleagues who are spammers fans tell me I need to let go but I can't, that semi final defeat cut deep as 15 year old.
The 1975 FA Cup Semi Final memories on 16:36 - Apr 9 with 850 viewsMeadowlark

The 1975 FA Cup Semi Final memories on 17:52 - Apr 7 by monty_radio

Slightly strange one for me - living near Lowestoft at the time, and debating too long about going. Set off far too late, and, as we crawled through London, became obvious that we weren't going to make it. Turned back at Stratford and listened to radio commentary on way home. So, didn't see it - but then, neither did Clive Thomas.

We got a coach from Lowestoft. You should've come with us!

Mind you it took ages to pick us up after the match and we were left wandering up and down the King's Road trying to avoid marauding 'ammers fans.

The first match at Villa Park, we left late due to the pick-up pub being open first thing in the morning, and when we got to Birmingham our coach driver got lost and someone had to get out and flag down a taxi so that we could follow it....

Those Were The Days
The 1975 FA Cup Semi Final memories on 17:35 - Apr 9 with 815 viewsswede

The only memory I have of Villa Park that day is the vast bank of terracing and the cold. The match is just a blur!
The journey remains more in my memory. Looking out of the coach window on the M1/M6 at all the cars with blue and white scarves hanging from the windows. One car with a "Kevin Beattie walks on water" bed sheet covering the boot. The journey home was more memorable because of the snow!
The 1975 FA Cup Semi Final memories on 18:49 - Apr 9 with 796 viewsfloridablue

The 1975 FA Cup Semi Final memories on 16:08 - Apr 9 by north_stand77

I went to both Filbert Street games re: Leeds. I'm sure we played on a Tuesday night and then 2 days later going all the way to Leicester again for another replay that week. It wasn't an easy journey then like it is now either!

Imagine that, team playing Saturday- Tuesday - Thursday- Saturday in 8 days!

I was there for both midweek Filbert St replay games against Leeds and the Portman road and Elland Rd games. Also the first Semi-Final against West Ham at Villa Park and onto the replay mid week at Chelsea stadium. I was a 20 year old and 40 plus years later, remember more about the aggression ..and weather... between the fans than what happened on the pitch. I went to the Semi final replay at Chelsea stadium in a 3 car convoy from Ipswich with a mixed ethnic group (Caribbean /Greek/Portugees and me, a Yank), soon as we walked in the 'shed end' we were confronted by a West Ham mob. Can still feel the pain in my shin where one booted me!
[Post edited 9 Apr 2021 23:09]
The 1975 FA Cup Semi Final memories on 19:02 - Apr 9 with 782 viewslevelneville

That was certainly a case of 'we were robbed', drove down to London that day ended up parking in the middle of a road near the Thames in Chelsea (everyone else had done the same) and running to the ground sat in disbelief that the Ref was so poor, we would have won it that year no doubt in my mind....
The 1975 FA Cup Semi Final memories on 19:03 - Apr 9 with 782 viewsshaunmahony

Was at both matches. At Villa park I was somewhere near the half way line- will forever remember the incredible noise from the Holt end with the town fans singing the one word Ipswich to the tune of Amazing Grace .

Then the snow in London during the replay - stayed overnight with my grandmother in east London so was on the tube with Hammers fans going home - that was not much fun after losing a match we deserved to win.

Remember too the 0-0 draw with Leeds with the 38k record crowd - what a cup run!

And then all the way downhill to being at Accrington in the cold January of 2019 to see such a poor cup defeat - lets hope we are now on the way back up! at last!
The 1975 FA Cup Semi Final memories on 20:24 - Apr 9 with 751 views66notout

The 1975 FA Cup Semi Final memories on 10:54 - Apr 9 by muhrensleftfoot

Also just remembered - my brother who was with me said he'd never forgive our young centre back who headed the ball weakly out of defence to the feet of Alan Taylor who then scored. That young centre back was a certain John Wark. My brother forgave him when we won the cup in 1978

Warky was standing in for a crocked Allan Hunter, who never even stayed to watch the game. He wandered off with another injured player, David Johnson, and they found a pub where they stayed until the game was over before walking back to Stamford Bridge and travelling home on the team bus.
The 1975 FA Cup Semi Final memories on 21:31 - Apr 9 with 728 viewsBluespeed225

The 1975 FA Cup Semi Final memories on 16:08 - Apr 9 by north_stand77

I went to both Filbert Street games re: Leeds. I'm sure we played on a Tuesday night and then 2 days later going all the way to Leicester again for another replay that week. It wasn't an easy journey then like it is now either!

Imagine that, team playing Saturday- Tuesday - Thursday- Saturday in 8 days!

The QPR home game, a day of so after the Leeds game was on ITV4 recently. Manic schedule, but it was Thomas who did for us.
Login to get fewer ads

The 1975 FA Cup Semi Final memories on 22:50 - Apr 9 with 692 viewsThe_Last_Baron

The 1975 FA Cup Semi Final memories on 14:50 - Apr 9 by gazzer1999

And in the final home match of the season we walloped west spam for 4. Also Big Al took revenge on Bobby Gould with a thumping tackle that ruled him out of the final.
Yes it still rankles with me all these years later that they cheated their way to the final with agent Thomas. I have many colleagues who are spammers fans who all agree that we were robbed at stamford bridge. The first game was dull and boring, the second was exciting including the controversy and despite the result. For me I still enjoyed the Filbert street 2nd game more. Quite good for a 15 year old at the time to witness those games. Let's hope with latest takeover todays youngsters get to see some good times.

Bobby Gould was the West Ham sub for the final. He spent the final minutes of the game trying to get John Lyall's attention so he could make an appearance in a FA Cup final, but Lyall just ignored him and kept him on the bench. Proper order.

Poll: Would you support a permanent return to the old yellow Town badge?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024