Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Thoughts on the "traffic light" travel system? 08:41 - Apr 9 with 2543 viewsStokieBlue

Details here:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/apr/08/covid-plan-for-england-trips-abr

First thing that springs to mind is that it's all very well having a watchlist but I would think that in the majority of cases a country is going to jump from whatever status it currently is to red immediately if a worrying variant is found so having such a list risks giving people a false sense of security with regards to planning which is exactly what they said it should prevent. It's still better than no guidance though.

The airline industry aren't happy because of the requirement to take a PCR test on return regardless of the traffic light level. They want either no tests at all from "green" countries (that wasn't ever going to happen in my opinion) or less accurate rapid testing. However that wouldn't allow the UK to discover new variants entering the country because only PCR tests give that ability. This is important as a lot of countries simply don't have the infrastructure to detect new variants in a timely manner (if at all).

Listening to a Scottish MP this morning they wanted to go much further and say no summer holidays at all so perhaps there is a chance of that being implemented in Scotland (although I don't see what would stop someone driving to England and then going unless there was a lot of coordination).

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Thoughts on the "traffic light" travel system? on 10:34 - Apr 9 with 651 viewsStokieBlue

Thoughts on the "traffic light" travel system? on 10:28 - Apr 9 by ElderGrizzly

No, definitely a PCR before return. They are looking if they can get LFT before return, but it is too open to abuse right now.

Edit: to clarify. It is only a PCR test now, as they are they only ones that meet the specificity that the Govt demands.
[Post edited 9 Apr 2021 10:30]

Guardian need to adjust that then as it clearly implies LFT then PCR and if it's PCR and PCR then that's actually far more costly (>200 GBP per person).

SB

Thoughts on the "traffic light" travel system? on 10:37 - Apr 9 with 652 viewshype313

Thoughts on the "traffic light" travel system? on 10:33 - Apr 9 by pointofblue

Ban international travel for holidays for now; at least until those who want to be vaccinated have been. I don’t know what the obsession is trying to get it up and running.

Well, apart from the fact that it's £2b worth of industry to the treasury and all the jobs that go with it.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Thoughts on the "traffic light" travel system? on 10:47 - Apr 9 with 637 viewsElderGrizzly

Thoughts on the "traffic light" travel system? on 10:34 - Apr 9 by StokieBlue

Guardian need to adjust that then as it clearly implies LFT then PCR and if it's PCR and PCR then that's actually far more costly (>200 GBP per person).

SB

This is the Government using purposefully slippery language.

They will publish approved tests before 17th May, but it won't be to allow the use of those 'free' tests we get if you have school aged kids etc.

At the very least it will need to be a 'supervised' LFT test and one of the more accurate ones. There was a report yesterday that one set of LFT tests was only picking up 3% of cases.
Thoughts on the "traffic light" travel system? on 11:40 - Apr 9 with 601 viewsmikeybloo88

Thoughts on the "traffic light" travel system? on 09:29 - Apr 9 by bluelagos

The cost of testing is clearly prohibitive for a cheap package holiday, thus making such holidays the preserve of those who can afford them.

Appreciate many will see this as a good thing (as it will limit the number of holiday makers) but if travel is seen as safe (according to the govt and it's advisers) I see no reason why it should be limited to the wealthy.

Plenty of hard working people won't be able to afford a break. And it's all well and good saying holiday in the Uk, but the costs have gone through the roof this summer. A cottage I hired for some Yorkshire walking 2 years ago has gone from £400 in June to £680 in May this year.

I don't think adding a few hundred quid onto the cost of a holiday suddenly makes them solely the preserve of the wealthy....
Thoughts on the "traffic light" travel system? on 13:10 - Apr 9 with 582 viewsStokieBlue

Thoughts on the "traffic light" travel system? on 11:40 - Apr 9 by mikeybloo88

I don't think adding a few hundred quid onto the cost of a holiday suddenly makes them solely the preserve of the wealthy....

That depends.

If it's a family of 4 it's adding 1000 to the cost of the holiday and that's starting to become quite a lot.

SB

Thoughts on the "traffic light" travel system? on 13:18 - Apr 9 with 574 viewsElderGrizzly

Thoughts on the "traffic light" travel system? on 13:10 - Apr 9 by StokieBlue

That depends.

If it's a family of 4 it's adding 1000 to the cost of the holiday and that's starting to become quite a lot.

SB

Indeed. And we were just talking about the UK mandated tests here.

Then add on the tests you are likely to need to get into the country you are going on holiday to and you could be looking at 5 or 6 tests for each person.
Thoughts on the "traffic light" travel system? on 14:32 - Apr 9 with 559 viewsjeera

Thoughts on the "traffic light" travel system? on 13:10 - Apr 9 by StokieBlue

That depends.

SB

Exactly, plenty will already be on a tight budget and the extra will make the difference between, as Lagos was saying, holidays becoming for the more well-off again only.

We have to hope that sooner or later mass testing will become both more reliable and more affordable too.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024