Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
It appears that Cook disagrees we have the best squad in the league. 10:46 - Apr 16 with 4670 viewsCoastalblue

Still dissenters to that opinion or is everybody agreeing now?

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

It appears that Cook disagrees we have the best squad in the league. on 18:25 - Apr 16 with 736 viewsChrisd

This should have happened after we got relegated. Embarrassingly poor in the Championship, got relegated with a whimper and then keep the lot of them to fail again, oh and again this season!! I hope PC shoves it up ‘em and bombs them out, which it looks like will occur sooner than later. If I was him, I’d only play those he’s keeping with a mixture of our U23 squad for the remain leagues games, we might be pleasantly surprised. Attitude and the mental side of the game I would argue is more important than ability and this lot are sadly lacking. At least, we have a manager that can see that now.

Start looking for new clubs chaps and good riddance!!

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

It appears that Cook disagrees we have the best squad in the league. on 18:37 - Apr 16 with 729 viewsTieDyedIn95

We didn't have a squad that could win this league when we signed it in 2018, and 4 years on we still don't. PR aside, the crop of players recruited were bang average third division players. We shouldn't be surprised that's where we ended up really.

Football League First Division / Premier League Champions (1): 1961—62 - Runners-up (2): 1980—81, 1981—82 Football League Second Division / EFL Championship Champions (3): 1960—61, 1967—68, 1991—92 - Play-off winners (1): 1999—2000 Football League Third Division / EFL League One Champions (2): 1953—54, 1956—57 - Southern League Champions (1): 1936—37 FA Cup Winners (1): 1977—78 - Texaco Cup Winners (1): 1972—73 UEFA Cup / UEFA Europa League Winners (1): 1980—81
Poll: Would you attend a socially distanced training ground protest?

It appears that Cook disagrees we have the best squad in the league. on 19:04 - Apr 16 with 721 viewsmoscow2000

It appears that Cook disagrees we have the best squad in the league. on 14:32 - Apr 16 by PhilTWTD

I think the mental aspect is a large element of it. Three seasons of failure have instilled a losing mentality. They fall apart when things go awry, both within games and within seasons. Can't be a coincidence that two seasons have taken such a similar pattern.

In terms of the squad, as individual players, I'm sure most people would put a lot of our senior players on a list of the division's better players.

But while that may be the case, as a group they're less than a sum of their parts. Mentality and confidence comes into it but also aspects that are missing, we're lacking a bit of midfield steel, fitness is clearly an issue, particularly to play the sort of game Cook wants to play.

Clearing the decks and starting again is the approach that's needed and fortunately that has coincided with a load of players being out of contract and money being available. From the noises I hear they'll be trying to recruit as if they're a Championship side in waiting rather than just a team to do well in League One.

If our players were some of the top end players in the division how is it no one wanted to sign any of them in January
Jackson might have gone and that’s it
Everyone goes on about how good the squad is but in reality like McCarthy said about Skuse that he was a Premier player which teams actually put in bids for him
All our players are over hyped but what they’re all happy with is Easy Street which was ( hopefully) in the past
Good riddance to them all as they drive away through the gates in their brand new cars
This fellow Cook has sussed them out and he’s now wielding the axe and I for one am right behind him and the new owners
It appears that Cook disagrees we have the best squad in the league. on 20:28 - Apr 16 with 697 viewsBlueBadger

It appears that Cook disagrees we have the best squad in the league. on 18:02 - Apr 16 by Mullet

Martyn Waghorn says hello.

I was going to name Didz as another example but he''s not Championship Quality either anymore...

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

It appears that Cook disagrees we have the best squad in the league. on 21:11 - Apr 16 with 677 viewsitfctilidie

It appears that Cook disagrees we have the best squad in the league. on 11:17 - Apr 16 by Radlett_blue

The squad was still good enough to be in a play off place when Cook took over, despite being managed by a supposed incompetent.

The squad was clinging to a playoff spot, looking terrible. Did you watch Northampton?

Basically now we have got to the business end of the season the teams lack of character has shone through, much like last year before Covid sealed the deal and saved a lot of face.

Whilst teams at the bottom scrap for points, top teams push on to grab playoff/promotion spots our weak bunch lack the fight and desire for such times.

We were weak and lifeless in relegation from the championship, we have had good starts to the season whilst other teams in a very poor league sort themselves out, and then we have fell away.

The squad aren't good enough, end of.
[Post edited 16 Apr 2021 21:12]
It appears that Cook disagrees we have the best squad in the league. on 22:48 - Apr 16 with 637 viewsRadlett_blue

Most of us are pleased that Cook will dismantle this squad of players, who have been underperforming for 3 seasons now. The squad was still good enough to be in a play off place when Cook arrived, so they clearly aren't hopeless. Getting rid of the dead wood is the easy bit; bringing in the right players & moulding them into an effective team is much harder & let's hope Cook can do it, now that he has (IMO rightly) given up on this season.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

It appears that Cook disagrees we have the best squad in the league. on 08:51 - Apr 17 with 576 viewsvanmunt

It appears that Cook disagrees we have the best squad in the league. on 18:02 - Apr 16 by Mullet

Martyn Waghorn says hello.

So does Giles Coke
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024