Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The end of football is being voted on tomorrow... 09:07 - Apr 18 with 2096 viewspointofblue

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56771500

The League Cup has already been destroyed, the FA Cup is a long way down the same road and now they’re coming for the league. Yet those in power seem to think it’s a good idea.
[Post edited 18 Apr 2021 9:10]

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

The end of football is being voted on tomorrow... on 09:35 - Apr 18 with 1864 viewsRadlett_blue

The League Cup should never have been created. No sane country has two domestic football cups.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

The end of football is being voted on tomorrow... on 09:38 - Apr 18 with 1835 viewsPJH

The end of football is being voted on tomorrow... on 09:35 - Apr 18 by Radlett_blue

The League Cup should never have been created. No sane country has two domestic football cups.

Luckily we have The Pizza Cup as well which we are trying very hard to qualify for again.
The end of football is being voted on tomorrow... on 09:42 - Apr 18 with 1812 viewsjayessess

The new format sounds rubbish, but I can't see how it "ends football" really?

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

The end of football is being voted on tomorrow... on 10:16 - Apr 18 with 1666 viewspointofblue

The end of football is being voted on tomorrow... on 09:42 - Apr 18 by jayessess

The new format sounds rubbish, but I can't see how it "ends football" really?

It ends the power of leagues; now it doesn’t matter where certain clubs finish in the league, they’ll qualify on the co-efficient. Take Liverpool, who may finish seventh or eighth this year - they would jump over say, West Ham, Everton and Tottenham, who finish above them, to qualify for the Champions League. Other than winning the thing the league becomes even less important, which is something the FA Cup and League Cup have already reached.

And just regarding the second domestic cup competition, it wouldn’t be deemed so unnecessary of the European competitions hadn’t become so unwieldy.

The end of football is being voted on tomorrow... on 10:43 - Apr 18 with 1577 viewsjayessess

The end of football is being voted on tomorrow... on 10:16 - Apr 18 by pointofblue

It ends the power of leagues; now it doesn’t matter where certain clubs finish in the league, they’ll qualify on the co-efficient. Take Liverpool, who may finish seventh or eighth this year - they would jump over say, West Ham, Everton and Tottenham, who finish above them, to qualify for the Champions League. Other than winning the thing the league becomes even less important, which is something the FA Cup and League Cup have already reached.

And just regarding the second domestic cup competition, it wouldn’t be deemed so unnecessary of the European competitions hadn’t become so unwieldy.

Yeah but "finishing top 4 to make the CL" is a relatively new motivation for doing well in the league, isn't it? Top 4 didn't come in until 2002 and Top 2 not until 1997.

In your hypothetical Liverpool could hardly down tools - they've still got to finish 6th and hope 2 other teams with better co-efficients don't also mess things up (both Juve and PSG are only safe by 3 points and have better co-effs).

The end of football is being voted on tomorrow... on 10:45 - Apr 18 with 1551 viewsAce_High1

The league cup is a waste of time and there are too many games.

I personally don't feel the FA Cup has a place either in modern football, we all just rotate and play the reserves until we get knocked out and the same teams win nine times out of ten.

Just have the league and then the CL - I would scrap the Europa League as well as that is a Mickey Mouse cup just like the league cup.
The end of football is being voted on tomorrow... on 12:47 - Apr 18 with 1376 viewsDaleyitfc

The Champions League (not featuring exclusively Champions and mostly not a League, so always a wonderfully named competition ...) is already a travesty of a competition, and one I've refused to watch for years.
The original European Cup, along with its 2 lesser companions, is what we should still have.
[Post edited 18 Apr 2021 12:47]
The end of football is being voted on tomorrow... on 12:52 - Apr 18 with 1346 viewsJ2BLUE

Horrific plans. Disgusting anti competition BS.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Login to get fewer ads

The end of football is being voted on tomorrow... on 13:17 - Apr 18 with 1294 viewspointofblue

The end of football is being voted on tomorrow... on 10:43 - Apr 18 by jayessess

Yeah but "finishing top 4 to make the CL" is a relatively new motivation for doing well in the league, isn't it? Top 4 didn't come in until 2002 and Top 2 not until 1997.

In your hypothetical Liverpool could hardly down tools - they've still got to finish 6th and hope 2 other teams with better co-efficients don't also mess things up (both Juve and PSG are only safe by 3 points and have better co-effs).

I thought the top four was in place for 01/02 as we were in contention until late on? In the end Leeds beat us to it.

Finishing sixth is hardly the point when it come to the Champions League though? Personally I think it’s farcical that more than the Champions of each league qualify for it but at least for now the teams are taken in position order, rather than something random just to protect the big clubs.

If they want to cut fixtures have the Champions League for Champions and a Cup Winners Cup for cup winners. Just growing the European fixtures is not doing most clubs any good at all.

The end of football is being voted on tomorrow... on 13:45 - Apr 18 with 1209 viewsjayessess

The end of football is being voted on tomorrow... on 13:17 - Apr 18 by pointofblue

I thought the top four was in place for 01/02 as we were in contention until late on? In the end Leeds beat us to it.

Finishing sixth is hardly the point when it come to the Champions League though? Personally I think it’s farcical that more than the Champions of each league qualify for it but at least for now the teams are taken in position order, rather than something random just to protect the big clubs.

If they want to cut fixtures have the Champions League for Champions and a Cup Winners Cup for cup winners. Just growing the European fixtures is not doing most clubs any good at all.

Yeah 2001/02 was the first year there were 4 places.

My hunch is that the main problem with this reform isn't going to be the integrity of domestic leagues, but the attractiveness of the Champions League. The group stages are the bit no one really enjoys and they're doubling the length of it and making it less easy to follow? Recipe for disaster.

The end of football is being voted on tomorrow... on 14:07 - Apr 18 with 1130 viewspointofblue

The end of football is being voted on tomorrow... on 13:45 - Apr 18 by jayessess

Yeah 2001/02 was the first year there were 4 places.

My hunch is that the main problem with this reform isn't going to be the integrity of domestic leagues, but the attractiveness of the Champions League. The group stages are the bit no one really enjoys and they're doubling the length of it and making it less easy to follow? Recipe for disaster.

Sorry, meant 00/01 when we finished fifth. Thought there were talks about us qualifying for the Champions League if we could make fourth.

I don't get the point of extending the group stage - I suppose the more matches there are the less likely it is that there will be a surprise turn of events with one of the big teams being knocked out early; see Manchester United this year.

The end of football is being voted on tomorrow... on 14:15 - Apr 18 with 1105 viewsjayessess

The end of football is being voted on tomorrow... on 14:07 - Apr 18 by pointofblue

Sorry, meant 00/01 when we finished fifth. Thought there were talks about us qualifying for the Champions League if we could make fourth.

I don't get the point of extending the group stage - I suppose the more matches there are the less likely it is that there will be a surprise turn of events with one of the big teams being knocked out early; see Manchester United this year.

Was 3 that year, Leeds in 4th only qualified for the Uefa Cup

The end of football is being voted on tomorrow... on 14:20 - Apr 18 with 1080 viewsTieDyedIn95

The end of football is being voted on tomorrow... on 09:38 - Apr 18 by PJH

Luckily we have The Pizza Cup as well which we are trying very hard to qualify for again.

I still don't understand our arrogance about that cup. Its a competition for 3rd and 4th division teams to get a chance at Wembley. We've not been a force in football for 40 odd years and we're very much at the level of the cup. We should be trying to win it, as well as promotion.

Football League First Division / Premier League Champions (1): 1961—62 - Runners-up (2): 1980—81, 1981—82 Football League Second Division / EFL Championship Champions (3): 1960—61, 1967—68, 1991—92 - Play-off winners (1): 1999—2000 Football League Third Division / EFL League One Champions (2): 1953—54, 1956—57 - Southern League Champions (1): 1936—37 FA Cup Winners (1): 1977—78 - Texaco Cup Winners (1): 1972—73 UEFA Cup / UEFA Europa League Winners (1): 1980—81
Poll: Would you attend a socially distanced training ground protest?

The end of football is being voted on tomorrow... on 14:22 - Apr 18 with 1069 viewspointofblue

The end of football is being voted on tomorrow... on 14:15 - Apr 18 by jayessess

Was 3 that year, Leeds in 4th only qualified for the Uefa Cup

Ah thanks. Must have just thought fourth would have been an even greater achievement than fifth!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024