Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The ESL can be easily stopped 15:20 - Apr 19 with 4431 viewsHARRY10

Much of the money coming into football comes through sponsorship/advertising.

Companies don'y pay for exposure if they don;t think thse watching the games will not be buying their products.

You don't need to be a supporter of the six English clubs to do something. You simply need to let it be known to their sponsors that you will be boycotting their products - as with any company who signs up as a sponsor to ESL

We are millions, in fact hundreds of millions across Europe.

If they want this to be about money, then so be it.
The ESL can be easily stopped on 15:22 - Apr 19 with 2183 viewshype313

Trouble is, it's not the European market they are that bothered with, it's the Asian/Americas market which is far more lucrative, and they won't care one iota.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

The ESL can be easily stopped on 15:31 - Apr 19 with 2136 viewsHARRY10

The ESL can be easily stopped on 15:22 - Apr 19 by hype313

Trouble is, it's not the European market they are that bothered with, it's the Asian/Americas market which is far more lucrative, and they won't care one iota.

And it will be global companies as sponsors

Take a look at Chelseas official sponsors, and tell me the likes of Three, Cadburys, Sure, Nike and Caraboa can not be affected by the average UK football fan

https://www.chelseafc.com/en/about-chelsea/about-the-club/club-partners
The ESL can be easily stopped on 15:34 - Apr 19 with 2130 viewsjayessess

Football fans definitely have the power to stop pretty much anything they want to stop, but "easily" is not the word. To confront powerful people you need organisation, solidarity and a clear sense of purpose, which, as a group football supporters don't really have.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

The ESL can be easily stopped on 15:42 - Apr 19 with 2110 viewsHARRY10

The ESL can be easily stopped on 15:34 - Apr 19 by jayessess

Football fans definitely have the power to stop pretty much anything they want to stop, but "easily" is not the word. To confront powerful people you need organisation, solidarity and a clear sense of purpose, which, as a group football supporters don't really have.

au contraire

there is clearly an overwhelming sense of purpose and solidarity in regard to this matter

and as to organisation that is the easiest of them all

simply stop buying the sponsors products......and if you feel like a bit of real strenuous effort then email the companies telling them why

the drop in sales need no more effort than that
The ESL can be easily stopped on 15:46 - Apr 19 with 2079 viewsLord_Lucan

You are correct about the Asian markets but I simply don't think it will happen.

Reminds me of a cross between The Harlem Globetrotters and Kerry Packers cricket circus.
[Post edited 19 Apr 2021 15:46]

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

The ESL can be easily stopped on 15:55 - Apr 19 with 2043 viewsHARRY10

The point being missed is that sponsors won't simply be Asian based, or directed at those markets

Clubs will still have sponsors targetting their which national markets.

Sponsors are always quick to disassociate themselves from 'tainted goods'
The ESL can be easily stopped on 15:57 - Apr 19 with 2013 viewsjayessess

The ESL can be easily stopped on 15:42 - Apr 19 by HARRY10

au contraire

there is clearly an overwhelming sense of purpose and solidarity in regard to this matter

simply stop buying the sponsors products......and if you feel like a bit of real strenuous effort then email the companies telling them why

Organising effective boycotts on a worldwide scale is incredibly hard. There's long-standing boycott campaigns against all sorts of companies for crimes far worse than sponsoring a football tournament. You're trying to get millions of people around the world to change habits because they care about something they likely won't hear about and won't care about.

Nothing "simply" about it.

The ESL can be easily stopped on 16:17 - Apr 19 with 1952 viewsHARRY10

The ESL can be easily stopped on 15:57 - Apr 19 by jayessess

Organising effective boycotts on a worldwide scale is incredibly hard. There's long-standing boycott campaigns against all sorts of companies for crimes far worse than sponsoring a football tournament. You're trying to get millions of people around the world to change habits because they care about something they likely won't hear about and won't care about.

Nothing "simply" about it.

I am trying nothing

And I have stated that any action would be local

As to numbers I would suggest that those European football fans affected by this amount to millions

as to

"they likely won't hear about and won't care about"

I suggest you have a read of the press......across Europe
Login to get fewer ads

The ESL can be easily stopped on 16:24 - Apr 19 with 1921 viewsjayessess

The ESL can be easily stopped on 16:17 - Apr 19 by HARRY10

I am trying nothing

And I have stated that any action would be local

As to numbers I would suggest that those European football fans affected by this amount to millions

as to

"they likely won't hear about and won't care about"

I suggest you have a read of the press......across Europe

I see. So... you're not planning on doing anything, but ... an enormous, effective, global boycott of (as yet unidentified) multi-national corporations is going to emerge, via (unspecified) local action?

Is it just going to drop from the sky?

The ESL can be easily stopped on 16:31 - Apr 19 with 1881 viewsborge

The ESL can be easily stopped on 16:24 - Apr 19 by jayessess

I see. So... you're not planning on doing anything, but ... an enormous, effective, global boycott of (as yet unidentified) multi-national corporations is going to emerge, via (unspecified) local action?

Will it drop from the sky? Quite possibly yes. There will be some very powerful people and organisations who are against this and they will have the resources to organise fans/fan groups into an effective protest body. It won't happen in its current form because there is too much opposition within football itself.

Ultimately it is only going to take JP Morgan being persuaded it is not a good idea in order for it not to happen. That is possibly rather more difficult than targeting sponsors that are consumer focused because JP Morgan has less direct exposure to ordinary football fans. Not an impossible thought though.
The ESL can be easily stopped on 16:32 - Apr 19 with 1881 viewsZXBlue

The ESL can be easily stopped on 15:42 - Apr 19 by HARRY10

au contraire

Solidarity in Europe is meaningless. The 50k at white hart lane can all stop gong tomorrow. Its a drop int he ocean compared to the revenue from tv and other sales in the Far East, and to all the people in the country who will complain but continue paying their subscriptions and watching football on the telly.
The ESL can be easily stopped on 16:37 - Apr 19 with 1858 viewsHARRY10

The ESL can be easily stopped on 16:24 - Apr 19 by jayessess

Not sure what that guff is supposed to mean, but back on planet earth some may recall fans refusing to pay to view PL games. No massive organisation required, just individuals acting in their interests.

Meanwhile

"The Liverpool supporters’ group responsible for the Kop's banners and flags will protest the announcement of the controversial Super League by leaving the iconic stand bare for Saturday's home game against Newcastle."

Actions like this are a spontaneous reaction to the ESL, not some highly organised global protest movement. Fans will find their own methods of protest and getting their voice heard

And despite you silly claims of my role, I am merely part of the protest, not any cause of it.
The ESL can be easily stopped on 16:37 - Apr 19 with 1858 viewsjayessess

The ESL can be easily stopped on 16:32 - Apr 19 by ZXBlue

Solidarity in Europe is meaningless. The 50k at white hart lane can all stop gong tomorrow. Its a drop int he ocean compared to the revenue from tv and other sales in the Far East, and to all the people in the country who will complain but continue paying their subscriptions and watching football on the telly.

Actually I think specifically fans from the clubs involved collectively have a lot more power than other, only tangentially connected, European consumers. Sure, Spurs can probably do without matchday revenue, but their entire local fan base turning on them is still a bigger problem than a disorganised and vague boycott of tournament sponsors.

The ESL can be easily stopped on 16:39 - Apr 19 with 1843 viewsjayessess

The ESL can be easily stopped on 16:37 - Apr 19 by HARRY10

Not sure what that guff is supposed to mean, but back on planet earth some may recall fans refusing to pay to view PL games. No massive organisation required, just individuals acting in their interests.

Meanwhile

"The Liverpool supporters’ group responsible for the Kop's banners and flags will protest the announcement of the controversial Super League by leaving the iconic stand bare for Saturday's home game against Newcastle."

Actions like this are a spontaneous reaction to the ESL, not some highly organised global protest movement. Fans will find their own methods of protest and getting their voice heard

And despite you silly claims of my role, I am merely part of the protest, not any cause of it.

The Liverpool supporters group are organised. That's the point.

The ESL can be easily stopped on 16:41 - Apr 19 with 1834 viewsZXBlue

The ESL can be easily stopped on 16:37 - Apr 19 by HARRY10

Meanwhile

It would be better if they protested 'at' it, or 'about' it. You can't protest a thing. Horrible Americanism.
The ESL can be easily stopped on 16:49 - Apr 19 with 1818 viewsHARRY10

The ESL can be easily stopped on 16:32 - Apr 19 by ZXBlue

slowly.................... a large part of the TV incomes derives from sponsors

if those sponsors feel their sales are being affected by being associated with a tainted product they withdraw sponsorship

https://www.thedrum.com/news/2018/03/29/magellan-asics-and-sanitarium-terminate-

it really isn't that difficult
The ESL can be easily stopped on 16:55 - Apr 19 with 1802 viewsZXBlue

The ESL can be easily stopped on 16:49 - Apr 19 by HARRY10

slowly.................... a large part of the TV incomes derives from sponsors

if those sponsors feel their sales are being affected by being associated with a tainted product they withdraw sponsorship

https://www.thedrum.com/news/2018/03/29/magellan-asics-and-sanitarium-terminate-

it really isn't that difficult

Tainted with whom?

a few thousand disgruntled English fans?
The ESL can be easily stopped on 16:58 - Apr 19 with 1794 viewsHARRY10

The ESL can be easily stopped on 16:39 - Apr 19 by jayessess

The Liverpool supporters group are organised. That's the point.

You haven't really thought that through have you ?
The ESL can be easily stopped on 16:58 - Apr 19 with 1790 viewsjayessess

The ESL can be easily stopped on 16:58 - Apr 19 by HARRY10

You haven't really thought that through have you ?

It's literally an organisation. You're proving my point.

The ESL can be easily stopped on 17:00 - Apr 19 with 1785 viewsHARRY10

The ESL can be easily stopped on 16:55 - Apr 19 by ZXBlue

Tainted with whom?

a few thousand disgruntled English fans?

I think you will find that fans across Europe amount to more than ' a few thousand'.
The ESL can be easily stopped on 17:01 - Apr 19 with 1770 viewsHARRY10

The ESL can be easily stopped on 16:58 - Apr 19 by jayessess

It's literally an organisation. You're proving my point.

You are merely contradicting yourself.
The ESL can be easily stopped on 17:04 - Apr 19 with 1751 viewsHARRY10

The ESL can be easily stopped on 16:37 - Apr 19 by jayessess

Actually I think specifically fans from the clubs involved collectively have a lot more power than other, only tangentially connected, European consumers. Sure, Spurs can probably do without matchday revenue, but their entire local fan base turning on them is still a bigger problem than a disorganised and vague boycott of tournament sponsors.

Boycotting products requires no organisation - that is the point.

Do try to keep up.
The ESL can be easily stopped on 17:07 - Apr 19 with 1740 viewsjayessess

The ESL can be easily stopped on 17:01 - Apr 19 by HARRY10

You are merely contradicting yourself.

Me: Organisation is important.
You: No, it isn't, look at this important thing a well-organised group are doing.
Me: !!

The ESL can be easily stopped on 17:08 - Apr 19 with 1737 viewsjayessess

The ESL can be easily stopped on 17:04 - Apr 19 by HARRY10

Boycotting products requires no organisation - that is the point.

Do try to keep up.

Dis-organised boycotts have no effect on anything. Never have done.

The ESL can be easily stopped on 17:25 - Apr 19 with 1688 viewsHARRY10

The ESL can be easily stopped on 17:07 - Apr 19 by jayessess

Me: Organisation is important.
You: No, it isn't, look at this important thing a well-organised group are doing.
Me: !!

One contradiction after the other

You originally claimed

"To confront powerful people you need organisation, solidarity and a clear sense of purpose, which, as a group football supporters don't really have.

then

"The Liverpool supporters group are organised."

"but their entire local fan base turning on them is still a bigger problem than a disorganised and vague boycott of tournament sponsors. "

which rather suggests the former would be organised

otherwise I am not sure what you point is other than to take up some contradictory position to satify some rather sad need.

To clarify, away from your misleading guff, I suggest that fans have the ability to hit sponsors hard in their pocket by boycotting their products. This has proved highly effective elsewhere.

If fans wish to organise to do this and other actions then so be it.

And despite the above nutjobs contradictions this will, and already is happening.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024