Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Summer transfers 09:01 - Apr 25 with 1794 viewsHipsterectomy

Even under Mick as well as Jewell, Keane and Magilton, we found that we could rarely sign the Plan A targeted players. I seem to remember Keane desperately wanting the excellent Shaun Derry for example and not getting him, then players like Nugent, Austin, Joel Ward, Jamie Vardy (!) too many to list.

Some of these were down to money and not being able to offer as much in fees or wages, but I also remember location, aspiration and other factors. I just hope we have a decent list of Plan B and Plan C players ready to go if needed.

Walter Smith's Barmy Army

Summer transfers on 09:27 - Apr 25 with 1704 viewsTractorboy24

I think part of the issue with those transfers were who was doing the negotiating (Evans/Clegg), especially in the early days. We’ve got Ashton & O’Leary now, both are proven at previous clubs in getting deals over the line.
Summer transfers on 09:34 - Apr 25 with 1667 viewsOldsmoker

Players are not just looking for a jump in wages. The draw of a big club, playing in front of large crowds, the training facilities, the manager etc. have to be a major factor too.
We have those factors - to some degree - but only for players that are in League 1 and 2. For those players who aspire to play in the Championship we might not be that appealing.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

The plan ain’t going to any easier with a 14 hr goal drought record and.... on 09:36 - Apr 25 with 1662 viewsunstableblue

.... mid table league one finish, and a series of easily accessible manager interviews where he confirms we have a Sunday league team in place

We’re competing against maybe Sunderland, Sheff Weds, Charlton, etc etc for players... we are not helping our chances with this diabolical form

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

The plan ain’t going to any easier with a 14 hr goal drought record and.... on 09:43 - Apr 25 with 1623 viewsGuthrum

The plan ain’t going to any easier with a 14 hr goal drought record and.... on 09:36 - Apr 25 by unstableblue

.... mid table league one finish, and a series of easily accessible manager interviews where he confirms we have a Sunday league team in place

We’re competing against maybe Sunderland, Sheff Weds, Charlton, etc etc for players... we are not helping our chances with this diabolical form

But we have a vocally ambitious ownership, a respected manager demanding high standards, a decent fanbase and a good "name" (partly down to history, but also facilities).

A player who wants to progress, maybe considers themselves undervalued, is happy to strive hard for success would be attracted by that.

Someone looking for an easy ride and a "final payday" woudn't.

Think I know which kind I'd like us to be hiring.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

The plan ain’t going to any easier with a 14 hr goal drought record and.... on 10:20 - Apr 25 with 1518 viewsIpswichKnight

The plan ain’t going to any easier with a 14 hr goal drought record and.... on 09:36 - Apr 25 by unstableblue

If we didn’t have new owners and competent knowledgeable football people running the club on a day to day basis I’d be bricking it for next season, we’d end up renewing nearly all the contracts and paying them more for there failures too.

However we are going to be in a strong position the 2 new guys aren’t mugs and will with Cook and the new scouting department will have multiple targets lined up if we don’t get our first choice.
Summer transfers on 12:38 - Apr 25 with 1339 viewsJohnny_Boy

Lots of free players will be available in the Summer. Especially from the relegated clubs.
As things stand, hard working dependable grafters might be the best option instead of gifted luxury types.

I don’t think it could hurt by looking at the stand-out performers of Bristol Rovers (Westbrooke, 24, CM, 6 Assists) Burton (Joe Powell,22, AMC 5 Goals 7 Assists), Rochdale (Aaron Morley, 21, DMC 7 Assists)....even Barrow for goodness sake. Scott Fraser at MK Dons has scored 14 goals this season, yes, he takes penalties but also provided 6 Assists. That’s 20 goals he’s provided in a bang average side. Compare that to our midfield - infact, ALL our midfield combined.

Bring in 2 wingers capable of assists.

I’m rambling.

But the fact is, Young players are available to improve what we already have. Forget that mindset they’ve only played for lesser teams. Will they be Championship ready? No idea. But first things first. Let’s get out of L1 to start with.
[Post edited 25 Apr 2021 12:43]
Summer transfers on 13:42 - Apr 25 with 1210 viewsstonojnr

Summer transfers on 09:34 - Apr 25 by Oldsmoker

Players are not just looking for a jump in wages. The draw of a big club, playing in front of large crowds, the training facilities, the manager etc. have to be a major factor too.
We have those factors - to some degree - but only for players that are in League 1 and 2. For those players who aspire to play in the Championship we might not be that appealing.

are Town considered a big club thesedays, in league 1?, remember the age range of these players likely mid twenties theyll barely remember the club were even in the Premiership, and no-one we sign will have been around to see the UEFA cup/FA cup wins, thats all ancient history now.

plus we always suffer with the too near London,not near London enough issue, less of a problem in the last year, but its been a common complaint from the younger footballers joining the club theres nothing for them to do here, Ipswich doesnt offer the kind of opportunities that a player joining a team in a big city would find to occupy them and who was it in McCarthys team who used to complain even the local restaurants werent any good.

its not like we are in an auction just buying what we want, the players we sign will have to want to come here
Summer transfers on 14:41 - Apr 25 with 1121 viewsBlueNomad

Summer transfers on 13:42 - Apr 25 by stonojnr

are Town considered a big club thesedays, in league 1?, remember the age range of these players likely mid twenties theyll barely remember the club were even in the Premiership, and no-one we sign will have been around to see the UEFA cup/FA cup wins, thats all ancient history now.

plus we always suffer with the too near London,not near London enough issue, less of a problem in the last year, but its been a common complaint from the younger footballers joining the club theres nothing for them to do here, Ipswich doesnt offer the kind of opportunities that a player joining a team in a big city would find to occupy them and who was it in McCarthys team who used to complain even the local restaurants werent any good.

its not like we are in an auction just buying what we want, the players we sign will have to want to come here

I don’t disagree with anything you have said but we might be attractive to players in their late 20’s who have a family. Battle hardened but with years left in them. Better than youngsters who don’t live up to their potential?
Login to get fewer ads

Summer transfers on 15:01 - Apr 25 with 1072 viewsjayessess

Is Ipswich/Suffolk a particularly difficult sell in the context of places you could live whilst playing football in League One?

Out of the top 12 teams currently in our division, I'd say only Charlton might have a significant advantage on that front.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Summer transfers on 15:13 - Apr 25 with 1041 viewsdeano85

I would assume any potential signing would be sold on the idea... New owners looking to charge up the leagues, and them wanting to be a part of that..
Summer transfers on 15:37 - Apr 25 with 981 viewsBlueandTruesince82

Summer transfers on 15:01 - Apr 25 by jayessess

Is Ipswich/Suffolk a particularly difficult sell in the context of places you could live whilst playing football in League One?

Out of the top 12 teams currently in our division, I'd say only Charlton might have a significant advantage on that front.

Really shouldn't be should it, I've never understood the tough sell to players excuse... you can be in London in an hour you're surrounded by beautiful countryside and coastline, you're well supported, welcomedby fans (well uses to be, that said laying off the socials would help).

Or you could live in Rochadale, Fleetwood, Accrington or even Hull.

That said Shrewsbury, Plymouth and Oxford are all very nice but still... Suffolk has loads going for it.

Poll: Will Phil ever confirm we are actually close on a signing ever again

Summer transfers on 15:51 - Apr 25 with 960 viewsJ2BLUE

Do people not get it's an entirely different game now? We actually have an experienced football CEO focussing on us full time and a chairman who has said he'll continue to be about 1-2 days a week.

The problem under Evans is he wasn't accessible enough and every decision had to go through him. No wonder everything took so long.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Summer transfers on 17:23 - Apr 25 with 791 viewsbluebudgie

I disagree, the restaurants in Ipswich are very good an excellent variety. Where did you get that quote from?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024