Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Portman rd - just curious really 19:36 - May 2 with 4402 viewsdeano85

Just curious really, but when the cobbold stand was first build, it was odviously a lot shorter than it ended up.
What was the reason for this? Cost? All that was needed? Or was there ever plans to turn an aging portman rd around, starting with the cobbold, with it intending to be behind a goal?
Just curious really, as its had some makeshift enhancements over the years
Portman rd - just curious really on 09:23 - May 3 with 1119 viewsKeno

Portman rd - just curious really on 09:15 - May 3 by Churchman

The replay was at Elland Road. We should have won being a goal up until really late when they scored. I thought that was our lot at the time. The second replay was at Filbert Street. It was the first time I’d been to a neutral ground game and it was an amazing sight seeing the cars and coaches and vans heading there.

My dad and I stood in the little stand down the side and everyone was hammered. People were falling off the back of it, a Leeds fan on a stretcher was taken past and pelted and there was I think a dog doing tricks on the pitch to keep people entertained. The game itself was a bit of a cancel each other out affair and finished 0-0.

Two days later, third replay! We sat in the tiny little stand behind right behind the goal where Woods scored the winner. Watched it curl in. What a moment, what a week. Yep, TWTD.
[Post edited 3 May 2021 12:35]

you mean ...

[Post edited 3 May 2021 9:30]

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Portman rd - just curious really on 09:28 - May 3 with 1097 viewsArnieM

The replay was at Elland Road. We should have won being a goal up until really late when they scored. I thought that was our lot at the time. The second replay was at Filbert Street. It was the first time I’d been to a neutral ground game and it was an amazing sight seeing the cars and coaches and vans heading there.

My dad and I stood in the little stand down the side and everyone was hammered. People were falling off the back of it, a Leeds fan on a stretcher was taken past and pelted and there was I think a dog doing tricks on the pitch to keep people entertained. The game itself was a bit of a cancel each other out affair and finished 0-0.

Two days later, third replay! We sat in the tiny little stand behind right behind the goal where Woods scored the winner. Watched it curl in. What a moment, what a week. Yep, TWTD.

Lol age fades memory ( mine).... but I LOVED that era of the game ...much for of an even playing field than now sadly.

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Portman rd - just curious really on 09:30 - May 3 with 1091 viewsdissboy2

Portman rd - just curious really on 21:48 - May 2 by monty_radio

That original stand that ended up at the speedway was not very high by modern standards, and consequently defenders regularly booted the ball out into Portman Rd often to the accompaniment of a chorus of "keep it on the island!". Haven't heard that for many a year. The league-winning centre-half, Andy Nelson, was a frequent exponent of the art of the high clearance.

lol, twtd, thanks for the memories everyone
Portman rd - just curious really on 09:31 - May 3 with 1087 viewsArnieM

Portman rd - just curious really on 09:06 - May 3 by Keno

I was there, in the NS near the barrier that popped! Ended up being moved out of the NS and placed in the funny bit of terrace between the NS & West, which in truth felt no safer!!

I do actually wonder how many were really in PR that day!!

Lol , oh well I remembered that bit right then.

Don’t think there was a space big enough for a mouse anywhere left in the ground that day.

I wonder if there was more than they stated tbh . And it felt such a tense game to me too.

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Portman rd - just curious really on 09:36 - May 3 with 1083 viewsKeno

Portman rd - just curious really on 09:31 - May 3 by ArnieM

Lol , oh well I remembered that bit right then.

Don’t think there was a space big enough for a mouse anywhere left in the ground that day.

I wonder if there was more than they stated tbh . And it felt such a tense game to me too.

I think we got there about 12 and stil had to queue ages to get in

It was a very tense match. I remember nearly 40,000 people holding their breath late on which Alan Clarke hit the bar late on!

Like you say TWTDs!!

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Portman rd - just curious really on 09:46 - May 3 with 1068 viewsnoggin

Portman rd - just curious really on 20:15 - May 2 by Ftnfwest

And was terracing at the front before the exec boxes came along in 1978-9 I think it was

I was standing there, by the halfway line, when The Beat scored that free kick against Leeds.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Portman rd - just curious really on 09:50 - May 3 with 1060 viewslongtimefan

Portman rd - just curious really on 21:14 - May 2 by Bluespeed225

My first game, Sheffield Utd, April 72’, was watched from the terrace below the stand. I still have the box my old man made for me! It seemed, to a 7 year old, to tower above me. Crossed to the west stand terrace, no idea why, about 76’, was there for 78’. On being allowed to go with mates(Dec 78’, Bolton home, 12th bday), we were right at the front of Churchmans, which went on into 80/81, when we were daring enough to venture on occasions into The North!

My first ever first team match was watched from the front of the chicken run in Sept 70 when we beat Man U 4-0. In fact, most of the game was watched sat at pitch side as they let us kids sit in front of the wall that day! I seem to remember my dad got us tickets the following year in the new stand for the Wolves match that I think Rod Belfitt scored on his debut. Only ever been in that stand one other game , which I think was the following year v Leeds which ended in a draw, and like Coastal, for the REM concert.
Portman rd - just curious really on 13:40 - May 3 with 976 viewsjontysnut

I did this but the other way round. Sat in the top deck of the stand with my dad for the first game with him belting out keep right on like a pub singer. He didn't drink much but the coach there could have run on fumes from the light ale and Bells going up and down. Stood at the side with mates from school for the second game.
Login to get fewer ads

Portman rd - just curious really on 13:55 - May 3 with 955 viewsoldburian

With the money we got for Johnny Miller and Peter Morris, it could be argued that Norwich paid for the two wings of the, then, East Stand.
Portman rd - just curious really on 14:28 - May 3 with 935 viewssolemio

Portman rd - just curious really on 08:49 - May 3 by blueprint

Those seats were from Highbury originally.

Yes, due to the friendship of the Arsenal Hill-Woods and the Ipswich Cobbolds.
Portman rd - just curious really on 16:52 - May 3 with 863 viewscarlisleaway

Portman rd - just curious really on 09:23 - May 3 by Keno

you mean ...

[Post edited 3 May 2021 9:30]

Thanks for the memories, attended all 4 games and as mentioned earlier when Leeds got the last minute equaliser at there place thought all our hard work had gone to no avail. If you had seen the Clive Woods goal nowadays the media would have given that goal of the season.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024