Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
zak brown thoughts on him... 11:16 - May 12 with 1489 viewskeanekipper

Anyone got any feedback on him, rumours he's been on trial at wycombe, asking for a friend who supports them.
[Post edited 12 May 2021 12:25]
zak brown thoughts on him... on 11:22 - May 12 with 1454 viewsitfcjoe

Good player, good goalscorer and top scorer for 23s this season - surprised he left.

But his attitude can let him down too often, once his head goes he is a walking red card.

Had heard he'd fallen out of love with it a bit here, and needed to rediscover that - but may just be the situation here opposed to the game itself

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

zak brown thoughts on him... on 11:29 - May 12 with 1402 viewsMattinLondon

zak brown thoughts on him... on 11:22 - May 12 by itfcjoe

Good player, good goalscorer and top scorer for 23s this season - surprised he left.

But his attitude can let him down too often, once his head goes he is a walking red card.

Had heard he'd fallen out of love with it a bit here, and needed to rediscover that - but may just be the situation here opposed to the game itself

Joe
Maybe an unfair question to ask but do you think there is any credence to the idea that the younger players have it too easy and so maybe lack that cutting edge to drive forward? Facilities etc make them think that they’ve made it when they haven’t really?

Also, someone told me that a young lad called Valentine (surname I think) is one to really look out for - is this true?
zak brown thoughts on him... on 11:36 - May 12 with 1338 viewsitfcjoe

zak brown thoughts on him... on 11:29 - May 12 by MattinLondon

Joe
Maybe an unfair question to ask but do you think there is any credence to the idea that the younger players have it too easy and so maybe lack that cutting edge to drive forward? Facilities etc make them think that they’ve made it when they haven’t really?

Also, someone told me that a young lad called Valentine (surname I think) is one to really look out for - is this true?

Personally I don't, it's just an easy thing to throw at the youth of day and it is the same at every club. You either have that hunger and desire inside you or you don't - and whatever situation you grow up in doesn't really matter on that front. You only see the positive cases - the poor kid who is a refugee who makes it does so because of that hunger.......the other 10 in the academy from similar backgrounds don't make it......is that due to lack of hunger? I doubt it.....just lack of luck, ability, mental toughness, opportunity etc.

Every player in a full time academy has great facilities now......and as a country we are producing more talented young footballers than in the last 20 years (Golden Generation aside who genuniely were very good).

They now have to deal with much more pressure, from U9s upwards it is dog eat dog. There is much more exposure. It's mentally gruelling.

But people have a habit of thinking it was better in their day because it worked for them.....it's just different now.

Valentine is very good, he is still a schoolboy and will likely start up front tonight - been in England camps etc. Our U16s are a very, very good side, and the majority of those who have been given scholarships ahve been playing together since U9s (8 or 9 of them)

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

zak brown thoughts on him... on 11:39 - May 12 with 1280 viewskeanekipper

wycombe could be the perfect club then, good senior pros around him and changed there style of play towards the back end of the season which resulted in an upturn in results.
zak brown thoughts on him... on 11:41 - May 12 with 1265 viewsFixed_It

zak brown thoughts on him... on 11:36 - May 12 by itfcjoe

Personally I don't, it's just an easy thing to throw at the youth of day and it is the same at every club. You either have that hunger and desire inside you or you don't - and whatever situation you grow up in doesn't really matter on that front. You only see the positive cases - the poor kid who is a refugee who makes it does so because of that hunger.......the other 10 in the academy from similar backgrounds don't make it......is that due to lack of hunger? I doubt it.....just lack of luck, ability, mental toughness, opportunity etc.

Every player in a full time academy has great facilities now......and as a country we are producing more talented young footballers than in the last 20 years (Golden Generation aside who genuniely were very good).

They now have to deal with much more pressure, from U9s upwards it is dog eat dog. There is much more exposure. It's mentally gruelling.

But people have a habit of thinking it was better in their day because it worked for them.....it's just different now.

Valentine is very good, he is still a schoolboy and will likely start up front tonight - been in England camps etc. Our U16s are a very, very good side, and the majority of those who have been given scholarships ahve been playing together since U9s (8 or 9 of them)

I used to coach representative sides back in the day. We had some really good players, but when we took these lads from East Anglia to play against some of the London teams, it was really men against boys. To me, that is a mentality thing, and a lot to do with their upbringing. Of the boys who we had, only Danny Mills made it to the top. I suspect many of the lads we played against did - unfortunately I never got their names to prove my theory.
[Post edited 12 May 2021 11:44]

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

zak brown thoughts on him... on 11:45 - May 12 with 1214 viewsMattinLondon

zak brown thoughts on him... on 11:36 - May 12 by itfcjoe

Thanks Joe, appreciate the reply.

I agree with you in terms of hunger and desire - if you don’t have it then you won’t make it - well apart from bad injuries etc. Think Kieron Dyer once mentioned that there was a player in his year group who everyone thought would be the one to have a glittering career but instead ended up working in a factory in the North-East.
zak brown thoughts on him... on 11:50 - May 12 with 1171 viewsPhilTWTD

If he is at Wycombe that might be down to Matt Bloomfield, both Felixstowe-based I think. Bloomfield has spent time coaching at the academy so will have worked with him.
zak brown thoughts on him... on 12:07 - May 12 with 1078 viewsmaccyd9

zak brown thoughts on him... on 11:29 - May 12 by MattinLondon

Joe

Nico is top class. As Joe says, the U16's are a brilliant crop of youngsters and if we can keep hold of them, 4 or 5 have the potential to eclipse anything that has come out of the academy for many years.
Login to get fewer ads

zak brown thoughts on him... on 12:39 - May 12 with 921 viewsChrisd

All sport is such a mental challenge, you can have all the ability in the world - if you aren't mentally tuned in - that talent goes to waste. Like all of us, you need to enjoy what you're doing if you don't then invariably you don't see the best of yourself. Hopefully, he can sort out the attitude and channel it in another way sooner rather than later otherwise that will hold him back. I think in these cases you need an old head on young shoulders, you only realise it once it's too late.
[Post edited 12 May 2021 15:34]

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

zak brown thoughts on him... on 12:44 - May 12 with 868 viewsChrisd

zak brown thoughts on him... on 12:07 - May 12 by maccyd9

Nico is top class. As Joe says, the U16's are a brilliant crop of youngsters and if we can keep hold of them, 4 or 5 have the potential to eclipse anything that has come out of the academy for many years.

It's very encouraging to read that we have these youngsters at U16 level, but there's a long way to go from where they are now to the first team and a lot of things can happen between now and then off and on the pitch, which can impact on their development.
[Post edited 12 May 2021 12:47]

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

zak brown thoughts on him... on 13:06 - May 12 with 775 viewsHerbivore

zak brown thoughts on him... on 11:41 - May 12 by Fixed_It

I used to coach representative sides back in the day. We had some really good players, but when we took these lads from East Anglia to play against some of the London teams, it was really men against boys. To me, that is a mentality thing, and a lot to do with their upbringing. Of the boys who we had, only Danny Mills made it to the top. I suspect many of the lads we played against did - unfortunately I never got their names to prove my theory.
[Post edited 12 May 2021 11:44]

Although might some of that also just be down to the talent pool in London being much bigger rather than it being a mentality issue? The population of London is significantly larger than that of East Anglia and then of course being in an urban area you've got greater access to facilities as well. There's a lot more top level clubs with academies and doing community work with kids as well.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024