Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Mediocre 12:34 - May 13 with 724 viewsipswichtillidie

Seems like a lot of fans have been so used the mediocracy over the last decade that the first sign of change away from that and there is a melt down! I mean they say no one likes change but give the club the benefit of the doubt. When the signings start rolling in this board will be bubbling with expectation but some people really need to just let go. Remember your ex who you never thought you could live without? Got over it didn’t you.

Gav

Mediocre on 12:44 - May 13 with 687 viewsclive_baker

I don't think that's fair. I think almost all fans accept there needs to be significant changes across the club, but it's the extent of those that I find a bit surprising, with seemingly nobody off limits, which doesn't feel nuanced enough to me. Not all players are born equal, and there's more than a few that I would happily see the back of, but there are some where I can't help but feel with an arm around the shoulder, a proper pre season and an environment with greater discipline that they might prosper. It wasn't long ago that Brighton and Palace were sniffing around Dobra and Downes for example, and they've not become bad players overnight. There's a certain core to me of 6-8 players where there are enough reasons to believe that they can contribute to a very successful side at this level, and they're the ones that we should protect, blow a bit of smoke up and build our squad around for next season. A one size fits all approach doesn't feel very sensible to me.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Mediocre on 12:47 - May 13 with 669 viewssouthnorfolkblue

Mediocre on 12:44 - May 13 by clive_baker

I don't think that's fair. I think almost all fans accept there needs to be significant changes across the club, but it's the extent of those that I find a bit surprising, with seemingly nobody off limits, which doesn't feel nuanced enough to me. Not all players are born equal, and there's more than a few that I would happily see the back of, but there are some where I can't help but feel with an arm around the shoulder, a proper pre season and an environment with greater discipline that they might prosper. It wasn't long ago that Brighton and Palace were sniffing around Dobra and Downes for example, and they've not become bad players overnight. There's a certain core to me of 6-8 players where there are enough reasons to believe that they can contribute to a very successful side at this level, and they're the ones that we should protect, blow a bit of smoke up and build our squad around for next season. A one size fits all approach doesn't feel very sensible to me.

I agree.

Ultimately if we can replace with better players that’s fine. I’m genuinely surprised that Dobra and Downes are seen as being surplus to requirements. Dobra had just started to show with a run of games that there was something worth cultivating

Poll: Our final position

Mediocre on 12:49 - May 13 with 659 viewsipswichtillidie

To what extent? We don’t even know it’s pure speculation and even if it is everyone the club knows that they won’t be able to shift them all. When need a reset and worrying about it won’t help. I wouldn’t be worried if they all went. There are some players there I like but won’t be losing any sleep if they leave after the last two seasons. When the signings start rolling in you watch this board flip with excitement for the new season! Our budget is unknown. Who’s to say we aren’t looking at Championship standard players for all positions.

Gav

Mediocre on 12:51 - May 13 with 638 viewsOsborneOneNil

Clive, you'll probably find that we do have 6-7 who contribute. Not every single member of the squad will leave.
Mediocre on 12:52 - May 13 with 634 viewsclive_baker

Mediocre on 12:49 - May 13 by ipswichtillidie

To what extent? We don’t even know it’s pure speculation and even if it is everyone the club knows that they won’t be able to shift them all. When need a reset and worrying about it won’t help. I wouldn’t be worried if they all went. There are some players there I like but won’t be losing any sleep if they leave after the last two seasons. When the signings start rolling in you watch this board flip with excitement for the new season! Our budget is unknown. Who’s to say we aren’t looking at Championship standard players for all positions.

There's a big difference between resetting Hawkins, Drinan, Toto & Donacien to losing Downes, Dobra, Dozzell, Woolfenden IMO.

Games aren't won on potential admittedly, we definitely need a healthy level of the 'here and now', but when you look at Cook's Pompey side, those midfield players like Roberts, Baker, Doyle were all mid 30's and workmanlike. If we end up shifting the likes of Downes and Dobra for peanuts to sign 30+ journeyman on free transfers, it starts to feel like a very short term 'sh1t or bust' approach from the club, and not one I can really buy into.

Mediocre on 12:57 - May 13 with 619 viewsclive_baker

Mediocre on 12:51 - May 13 by OsborneOneNil

Clive, you'll probably find that we do have 6-7 who contribute. Not every single member of the squad will leave.

That's fine if we're ring fencing those players like Downes, Dozzell, Dobra, KVY, Woolfenden and they're free from the cull, barring silly offers (which is always the reality of life in L1). Realistically it's probably those 5 I'm most interested in keeping, with Norwood and Bishop to a lesser extent.

If it's that everyone is fair game and the last 6 or 7 here we utilise, whether that be Hawkins and Drinan or Downes & Dozzell, then that's not a strategy.

Mediocre on 13:03 - May 13 with 585 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Mediocre on 12:49 - May 13 by ipswichtillidie

People seem to be setting an awful lot of stall in the rumours of one local rag.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Mediocre on 13:06 - May 13 with 564 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Mediocre on 12:52 - May 13 by clive_baker

There's a big difference between resetting Hawkins, Drinan, Toto & Donacien to losing Downes, Dobra, Dozzell, Woolfenden IMO.

Games aren't won on potential admittedly, we definitely need a healthy level of the 'here and now', but when you look at Cook's Pompey side, those midfield players like Roberts, Baker, Doyle were all mid 30's and workmanlike. If we end up shifting the likes of Downes and Dobra for peanuts to sign 30+ journeyman on free transfers, it starts to feel like a very short term 'sh1t or bust' approach from the club, and not one I can really buy into.

Quite a big "if" there.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Login to get fewer ads

Mediocre on 13:07 - May 13 with 558 viewsclive_baker

Mediocre on 13:03 - May 13 by The_Flashing_Smile

People seem to be setting an awful lot of stall in the rumours of one local rag.

It's not just that article Dolly.

Mediocre on 13:07 - May 13 with 549 viewsjayessess

We're seemingly pitching to keep Edwards and Drinan, hard to believe that the bar for player quality has shifted that far upwards, tbh.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Mediocre on 13:11 - May 13 with 523 viewsmrshallisfit

Mediocre on 12:57 - May 13 by clive_baker

That's fine if we're ring fencing those players like Downes, Dozzell, Dobra, KVY, Woolfenden and they're free from the cull, barring silly offers (which is always the reality of life in L1). Realistically it's probably those 5 I'm most interested in keeping, with Norwood and Bishop to a lesser extent.

If it's that everyone is fair game and the last 6 or 7 here we utilise, whether that be Hawkins and Drinan or Downes & Dozzell, then that's not a strategy.

I think you may be giving Woolfenden, Dozzell perhaps too much credit. They may be part of the overall problem.
Mediocre on 13:23 - May 13 with 480 viewsclive_baker

Mediocre on 13:11 - May 13 by mrshallisfit

I think you may be giving Woolfenden, Dozzell perhaps too much credit. They may be part of the overall problem.

Everyone has an opinion of course, but to me they're 2 of a handful of players I want to see given a chance in a Cook side, with the infrastructure around them. I remain unconvinced we would bring in better players given where we are at the moment, but I also recognise neither have torn up any trees last year. I'm pro demolition man, I think the club needs a reset, it needs to be an obvious one too and Cook needs to demonstrate that through the tough decisions he's making. My only concern is he's taking it too far in some instances. He's told Bishop to find a new club, maybe not a complete surprise but can't help but feel a bit disappointed when I heard that last night. Dobra looks to be off. Nydam's gone already.

Don't get me wrong, I'll drive most of our squad we've had this season to their next clubs, Hawkins, Drinan, Donacien, Jackson. No problem at all. I just think it's got to be done on a player by player basis, and not change for the sake of change. There's a handful I'll be disappointed to see leave.

Let's wait and see, but I don't like the way it's going.

Mediocre on 13:29 - May 13 with 466 viewsHARRY10

At last, decisive action being taken.

There has clearly been something rotten at the club, that has been allowed to accept third best under the delusion that by the law of averages the good times will come back. We just had to be patient and wait for them.

Meanwhile clubs like Lincoln, Rotherham, Coventry and Luton have passed us by. Youngsters have not progressed and have all too often been seen as make weight to patch up a squad of limited ability journeymen..

I suspect Cook is not simply judging players on the ability - but whether they have the drive and determination to succeed. That needed mindset should have been of paramount importance for players when a new manager and owners came in. The clear out suggests it has been business as usual for most.

SBR faced similar problems when he first joined us. Players objecting to being dropped. Supple stating that players did not want promotion as it would mean leaving the club as they would not be deemed good enough.

Maybe it is time for supporters to let go as well. See us as Ipswich Town 2021, and accept the fact that what is gone, is gone. Long gone in fact, to be honest. Look to the future and embrace what has happened gives us a future.

I won't be disappointed if we are not chasing the top two spots straight away - but I will very surprised if over the comings months we are not seeing a set up and a club developing the capacity to regard that as an expectation.

It's going to take time, the important thing is what happens to our club in that time.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024